The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dating app for teens... Feedback on this idea?

Idea threads

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
So I was just on Reddit and there was this guy using the magic "I wish" word 'I wish there was a dating app for teens' and I thought hmm? that could be a really good idea so I went ahead and looked anywhere for any kind of dating app for teens and turns out there is none! so we have a gap in the market and I was thinking of the market potential here and it could be pretty big if executed correctly, is this a good idea? obviously I've got to deal with the chicken and egg problem like tinder and uber did in the early days but I have a few ideas here

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Well done for spotting the gap in the market, Its awful but I immediately thought of catfishing and pedophiles. That is a major risk.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I was thinking of manually reviewing all accounts on early days until I hire a team from profits (or somehow automate it), other then that is there any more areas in which the idea is awful?

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
From what I've been told apps like LMK and Yubo have a automated system and are seemly doing just fine (i might be wrong)

Spenny

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
From what I've been told apps like LMK and Yubo have a automated system and are seemly doing just fine (i might be wrong)
Ok thats cool - but what could you do better than yubo? have you found a problem? why dont your friends use it?

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I've looked into it more and the automated system isn't enough, it does take care of MOST but the occasional lewd comment makes through. the community is quite toxic as well, I plan to fix this by making a much more sophisticated automated system and potentially hiring a team too. some of my friends do use it but some of my friends don't because it's toxic

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
I know your app would be for kids over 13, but it made me think of this. Stay safe OP, and make sure you're aware of any special requirements for targeting your business towards people under 18.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I know your app would be for kids over 13, but it made me think of this. Stay safe OP, and make sure you're aware of any special requirements for targeting your business towards people under 18.

oh my god damn my jaw dropped when he said 21 BILLION dollars, I will make sure I comply with COPPA and all laws with users under 18

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I had a friend who used Yubo and my god, I had to cringe so hard looking at it.
Basically 90% of the users are emos and generally mentally unstable people.
Not sure if that is the demographic every teen dating app would get, but I'd keep that in mind...
Because if that would be your demographic, I doubt you'd want to work with them.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I had a friend who used Yubo and my god, I had to cringe so hard looking at it.
Basically 90% of the users are emos and generally mentally unstable people.
Not sure if that is the demographic every teen dating app would get, but I'd keep that in mind...
Because if that would be your demographic, I doubt you'd want to work with them.
Isn't that what most teenagers are like nowadays, coming from a teenager myself I did have a "I wanna die I'm so brooken" phase I think that is pretty common

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
You are free to do what you want, as long as it is legal and morally okay. BUT, In my opinion, There are INFINITE different needs you can fulfill. A dating app for underage kids created by, What I assume is a person over the age of 18, is definitely a gray moral area, and probably a legal gray area.

For instance, I can already see the headline "Dating app for kids to blame for uptick in teenage pregnancy"
Or "pedophile targets multiple victims on dating app made for teens"

That's just 2 examples off the top of my head. Do you really want to be responsible for that? Even if you are 100% squeaky clean morally and legally, You can't control everything on your app.

Props to you for spotting a "need" and applying what you learn. But besides being morally and legally questionable, It sounds like an absolute headache with potential legal consequences that you wouldn't otherwise have. Business is hard enough, Don't make it harder for your self.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
You are free to do what you want, as long as it is legal and morally okay. BUT, In my opinion, There are INFINITE different needs you can fulfill. A dating app for underage kids created by, What I assume is a person over the age of 18, is definitely a gray moral area, and probably a legal gray area.

For instance, I can already see the headline "Dating app for kids to blame for uptick in teenage pregnancy"
Or "pedophile targets multiple victims on dating app made for teens"

That's just 2 examples off the top of my head. Do you really want to be responsible for that? Even if you are 100% squeaky clean morally and legally, You can't control everything on your app.

Props to you for spotting a "need" and applying what you learn. But besides being morally and legally questionable, It sounds like an absolute headache with potential legal consequences that you wouldn't otherwise have. Business is hard enough, Don't make it harder for your self.
Good Points here, I'm actually 15 haha I'm going to have to make sure these things are going to be avoided but I know I can't control everything on the app like you said

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
while I agree I think I'ma still try and see where it goes

Last edited:

BAUCE

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jun 21, 2021
while I agree I think I'ma still try and see where it goes
even if it doesnt work out you will gain invaluable experience along the way. You might even find something even better that you're more interested while pursuing it. Good luck.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Most teens are poor as af. Many would bawl at the thought of having to pay $1.99/month for premium features. Look at TikTok. Those accounts whose followers are teens (especially 16 and below) and begging the account (a company) to give them free stuff. The comment section are filled with

"Omg need!!!! can i have one please? *puppy eyes emoji*"

Not sure how you're going to monetize this.

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Most teens are poor as af. Many would bawl at the thought of having to pay $1.99/month for premium features. Look at TikTok. Those accounts whose followers are teens (especially 16 and below) and begging the account (a company) to give them free stuff. The comment section are filled with

"Omg need!!!! can i have one please? *puppy eyes emoji*"

Not sure how you're going to monetize this.

"13-year-old Eric: Dad, listen, I think it's high time I got me a wife and made a man of myself. All I need from you is $1.99/month."

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
Total nightmare of an idea. Logistically, legally, privacy, monetization... the list goes on.

Is there a need?

Well ask yourself if 51 year old Billy wants to drive his 15 year old daughter Caroline to meet a boy she's never met before.

Teens don't need to be meeting strangers. They haven't even fully developed their social circles at this point.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
If you do this you will either break a massive amount of laws but regulators will be pissed off to realize you're a kid and can't do much to you and there's nothing to take.

Or you will read 3000 pages of statutes, case law, federal rules, and so many legal guidelines that you will be able to pass the bar exam.

Or it will be so poorly built that no one will use it.

No teen is going to pay you any money. And advertisers won't be on it, since nobody can pay them any money either.

They can all make a fake tinder anyways.

They "date" at school. They can't drive anywhere. If they wanna chat they'll use instagram, snapchat, or texting.

With that said, go ahead and try anyways because stranger things have happened, and either way you will learn something about law, coding, marketing, apps, etc. Great skills to have and it's better than not doing anything.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
I ran a pre marketing campaign on the idea and here's what happened:

First Video did okay for the first tiktok

Second Video Flopped

1673144140715.png

I'm going to try a third that is much more professional and less "memey"

If that doesn't work then I might be wrong and there isn't a need for this kind of app afterall which means back to the drawing board

Keeton

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Mar 17, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
So I was just on Reddit and there was this guy using the magic "I wish" word 'I wish there was a dating app for teens' and I thought hmm? that could be a really good idea so I went ahead and looked anywhere for any kind of dating app for teens and turns out there is none! so we have a gap in the market and I was thinking of the market potential here and it could be pretty big if executed correctly, is this a good idea? obviously I've got to deal with the chicken and egg problem like tinder and uber did in the early days but I have a few ideas here
I personally don't see the need for a teen dating app. The reason adult dating apps are successful is because of how busy we are, and its harder to meet people, because we don't have the institutions like schools, sports events, and extra curricular activities to meet new people. Teens are surrounded by people of the opposite gender almost every day, and in an environment conducive to talking to and getting to know potential partners. Not to mention teens aren't exactly flush with cash either. Being a teenager is the most social time ever for a good amount of people. Dating apps only make money because people feel lonely and desperate. So I just don't think a teen dating app would be successful. But I may be wrong. If you have a calling to that idea, go for it.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Pivot your idea to connecting teens for entrepreneur or something like that, this idea has horrible things written all over it and gonna regret it when sitting in jail next to that crypto pyramid scammer guy with the fro.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
I personally don't see the need for a teen dating app. The reason adult dating apps are successful is because of how busy we are, and its harder to meet people, because we don't have the institutions like schools, sports events, and extra curricular activities to meet new people. Teens are surrounded by people of the opposite gender almost every day, and in an environment conducive to talking to and getting to know potential partners. Not to mention teens aren't exactly flush with cash either. Being a teenager is the most social time ever for a good amount of people. Dating apps only make money because people feel lonely and desperate. So I just don't think a teen dating app would be successful. But I may be wrong. If you have a calling to that idea, go for it.
The "I don't have time" aspect is definitely true I believe, but not to the extend that you can't regularly meet new people.
You could literally go into your city or village and just cold approach a potential mate. This takes like 2 minutes per person and you're already way beyond most men in their eyes, since you got some ballz. I'm not an adult yet so I haven't used dating apps (and don't intend to), but I believe that dating apps are really just for shy people that can't muster enough courage to ask one of the 4 billion females because they fear they'll get rejected. Oh no.
Dating apps made it more comfortable and our society has to pay for it.
Though that's just my opinion.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
If you do this you will either break a massive amount of laws but regulators will be pissed off to realize you're a kid and can't do much to you and there's nothing to take.

Or you will read 3000 pages of statutes, case law, federal rules, and so many legal guidelines that you will be able to pass the bar exam.

Or it will be so poorly built that no one will use it.

No teen is going to pay you any money. And advertisers won't be on it, since nobody can pay them any money either.

They can all make a fake tinder anyways.

They "date" at school. They can't drive anywhere. If they wanna chat they'll use instagram, snapchat, or texting.

With that said, go ahead and try anyways because stranger things have happened, and either way you will learn something about law, coding, marketing, apps, etc. Great skills to have and it's better than not doing anything.

I've learned sooooo much about law by trying terrible business ideas haha. Should have a degree in law already.

RayanMargham

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Aug 14, 2022
Pivot your idea to connecting teens for entrepreneur or something like that, this idea has horrible things written all over it and gonna regret it when sitting in jail next to that crypto pyramid scammer guy with the fro.
Could you give further detail on that?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
The pivot

Well like Lex I have all sort of bad ideas too but if you are trying to connect teens to date why not connect teens for entrepreneurship. There will be crushers out there who need problems solved and need to learn basic business. They will be few maybe in your own school but if you look out your ecosystem you could connect from other schools. While there will be school programs that do this, you are doing something different.

Next couple years train yourself. Read MJs first two books a few times, participate here as you are doing and things could click with something with new idea or whatever. You got snuts for being so young thinking of a business just have to figure how to help others and let's face it you grew up with tech and social media, all have to do is become a dot connector but need to learn so much. Taking action with some sort of business of even selling candy or other legal goods behind the bleachers at school will get you great experience.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.