The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Guys, what's your opinion on this guy (London Real)?

Anything related to matters of the mind

KKOPPI

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
May 15, 2019
AMSTERDAM
Found this guy called Alain de Botton.
He talks passionately about how we people are brainwashed into living a life of stress and unfulfillment.

He sheds light on a philosophy that seems radically contrary to MJ DeMarco's case.

Please, what do you think? The way he speaks is definitely mesmerising and he makes some good points here.

View: https://youtu.be/wLt24P8-cCs

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
He sheds light on a philosophy that seems radically contrary to MJ DeMarco's case.

Please, what do you think? The way he speaks is definitely mesmerising
His whole thesis is that it's okay to be a loser... maybe for him. For me, it's not, especially if I can do something about it. Most of the world already lives his philosophy in fact, and look at the sorry state that they're in. They're more dead than alive.

His whole philosophy is based on the idea that our ultimate goal is to be content. Meaning that achieving this specific feeling of contentment, that is our goal. I think this selection of ultimate goal is born out of fear and lack of power. Power is not afraid of suffering, it's not afraid of the struggle, it doesn't avoid the struggle. But rather it seeks it out, because struggle increases power.

As for people making fun of each other and judging themselves based on status... MJ says a similar thing in my opinion (namely that you shouldn't care about status). Because the bottom line is that whether you make $30K/year or $200K/year, you're basically just surviving. Nothing more. So the doctor who mocks you or whatever while you're unemployed or broke - dude, he's actually at your level. He's no better than you. You both have virtually nothing, and are in survival mode. You both are PRISONERS of the system. So why should it matter to you that he makes fun of you? He's BROKE. He's a SLAVE. Just like you. Isn't it the height of irony that those whose chains are the heaviest aren't even aware of them? At least you, being broke, at $30K/year, you're aware of it. He think that his nicer house, his prettier wife, his giant mortgage, and so on, he thinks that makes him free. He's living in delusion.

Society doesn't want you to be free. Because people who are free cannot be controlled. Society wants you to be, as he says, content - because then you leave the power brokers to play their power games and do as they please. As the Romans called it, give the hoi polloi bread and circus - then they'll let you do anything.

Here's what you should be watching instead:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aS1DTIV-Ts&ab_channel=RockyBalboa010

I'd rather live a life of stress pushing towards my goals, than a life of comfort shrinking away from big goals and big achievements.

Last edited:

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Read the man's wikipedia page. It will reveal a lot. He was born into wealth and has spent most of his life as a modern day 'philosopher', explaining basic philosophical / psychological concepts in books, very similar to the self-help books he criticises.

What he says may be true, but he is speaking from a place of theory / idealism. Why promote the concept of being 'ordinary' and not 'seek status' etc. when he does the opposite?

Projection? Coping mechanism? Hypocrisy?

Stress and lack of fulfillment are natural responses, designed to make us act and better our situation. The default state of man is one of poverty and discomfort, not a fair egalitarian utopia. We can find solace in the idea, but attempting to rely on it in practice means you lose touch with reality. The question is not what causes people to lose, or how to cope with our weakness and failures, but how we can overcome them. Similar fallacy applies to those who ask 'what causes poverty?', and try to remedy what is a natural state, when they should ask 'what causes wealth?'.

Last edited:

p0stscript

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Feb 7, 2018
UK
The first thing that came to mind upon watching the video was that if M. Alain de Botton visited the mining village I was raised in, he would be seen as a snob because of his name, accent and language he uses (a form of reverse snobbery?) and his philosophy seen as meaningless because most people are happy to get on with their lives, grateful for the little things.
The second thing I noticed was his language seemed very negative and whilst what he says may have some truth the message is lost on me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Feb 11, 2019
I used to think similar to the way he thinks, but in the reality, that's not an easy way to live either unless you go somewhere rural and live semi-isolated, almost off-grid, and devote yourself to spiritual exploration.

Sure, most teenagers will get F*cked by the reality when they get older and realize that getting rich isn't as easy as Instagram posts say, but going all-in the opposite direction is just as hard.

Everyone wants to be free to be and do whatever he/she wants, and that requires money. You can either force yourself not to want anything but air, food, and shelter, or you can work towards more. Both are choices, none is better than the other.

It's subjective and when looking at the big picture - everyone is wrong. We are shaped by our environment first and foremost, most will never get to a stage where they realize that none of their thoughts, needs, values, and beliefs is their own but a sum of what they've been told, have seen, experienced, etc.

The biggest question mark - what's the solution from the perspective of this guy? Work as an assistant in Walmart, live in a shack, and be okay with it? Sure, going after luxury cars and coke is not it either, but it's all feel-good nonsense for lost, depressed, and mediocre people without a real message in it.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.