The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do at 16?

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
What would you do if you were 16 right now?
What skills would you learn? Would you start a business? Would you go to college after graduating?
Answer these and drop any more helpful info. Hopefully this thread can help out some young entrepreneurs out there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I'd live life as if it were there for me to conquer it. I'd study, party, and respect my parents.

Business can wait. I'd enjoy being 16 and not take myself too seriously.

Relax.

YoungBroward

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 15, 2016
I'm 16 right now, I study, party, hang out with friends, and have a business, I only work usually like an hour or maybe two a day, but I find that hour to be the part of the day I look forward to. My grades have actually been dropping because of lack of focus in school lately, I feel like all I can think about is the next move I'm going to make in my business, which can be a bad thing. But on a good note I no longer have to ask my parents to pay for me to eat out, ask them to buy me stuff that I really want, or have them transfer me money all the time. My only regret was I didnt start earlier. If I were you I would START NOW on learning and try to take a stab at starting up something. Maybe try flipping on craigslist, or look into importing ( both something you can start with very little money). But let me warn you, once you get your first customer, you might become addicted ;)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Look at life as a game where your objective is to win your freedom.

You begin the game enslaved, ordained to servitude sanctified by culture, tradition, and social mores.

Your objective in the game is to escape enslavement by sorting out the rules and propaganda that govern the game, which to ignore, which to leverage, and which to defy. In this game you collect experience points (failures, successes), gold (money), tools, assets, and tweak your character skills (learning new things).

Begin knowing that your knowledge of this game is half the battle -- those trapped in the game have no idea they're being gamed.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
What skills would you learn? Would you start a business? Would you go to college after graduating?
Answer these and drop any more helpful info. Hopefully this thread can help out some young entrepreneurs out there.

Learn sales: candy, drinks, mechanical pencils, pens. Careful not to get caught by admin, they don't like competition ;)
Learn networking: join clubs, organize school events, fundraisers

G

GuestUserX09

I would get really good at a few relating things that people above 30 years old are afraid of, confused by, or think is below them.

Don't worry about enjoying being 16 too much.. I personally wish I cared less about friends and entertainment back then and invested more into expertise. It was fun and all but the real value there is minimal compared to other things I could have been doing.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago

Interesting theme, phrasing life as a "game."

-- those trapped in the game have no idea they're being gamed.

Just as those trapped in "The Matrix" have no idea that they are trapped in "The Matrix."

Your objective in the game is to escape enslavement by sorting out the rules and propaganda that govern the game

I think you nailed it here, and herein lies the challenge for many people: The process of "sorting out the rules and propaganda that govern the game" is itself an action; it is a conscious thought process that, if properly done, eliminates bullshit and hones in on the truth.

While books like 48 Laws of Power or Think and Grow Rich can certainly help us out philosophically and even mentally with focus and awareness, @Ubermensch regards TMF as the most helpful book for hustlers, based solely on the high degree of practical information. Simply put, no other book in existence describes the "how" of making money so... simply.

It would be interesting to perform some TMF case studies and draw correlations between a company's success (in terms of revenue, profit, market share captured, etc) and its alignment with CENTS.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Find something and master it.

It could be an entrepreneurial skill, a musical instrument, a foreign language, any number of things.

By achieving excellence in something you'll develop an ingrained belief that you can conquer anything you really go after.

PTP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
766%
Dec 28, 2015
DFW, TX
1) Public speaking. The benefit from not being afraid to go and talk to people is HUGE. Business is all about meeting people. Before you can sell you need to be comfortable talking.

2) Start some form of a business with the only goal being to learn about how to run a business. When you make money it will be an added bonus, but dont stress so much about earning $X.

When you dont focus on money at first, you will be more willing to take risks and try things out. The risks are where you are going to learn things you can apply to later ventures.

Last edited:

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
pay attention to only two subjects in school; foreign languages and perhaps economics. I would start working on a trade/skill that can enable me to work even as early as 9-10 (a trade would be better since most state laws claim that you need to be 16 just to start working at a min. wage job)

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
pay attention to only two subjects in school; foreign languages and perhaps economics. I would start working on a trade/skill that can enable me to work even as early as 9-10 (a trade would be better since most state laws claim that you need to be 16 just to start working at a min. wage job)

WTF?

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
Bump

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia

You begin the game enslaved, ordained to servitude sanctified by culture, tradition, and social mores.

Your objective in the game is to escape enslavement by sorting out the rules and propaganda that govern the game, which to ignore, which to leverage, and which to defy. In this game you collect experience points (failures, successes), gold (money), tools, assets, and tweak your character skills (learning new things).

Begin knowing that your knowledge of this game is half the battle -- those trapped in the game have no idea they're being gamed.

Was this ever a featured post? It should be. Or made into a movie, one of the two.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Learn sales.
Train Jiu Jitsu+Muay thai.
Read.
Relax.
Make mistakes.
Make a lot of mistakes. Fast.
Learn from every mistake.
Party it up.
Make friends.
Talk to every girl.
Join a sports team.
Tell my dream-stealing guidance counselor to F*ck off. Again.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Was this ever a featured post? It should be. Or made into a movie, one of the two.

Thanks for the suggestion, just featured it.

G

Guest34764

Turning 17 next month though I've had a good year of learning and a bit of action so I don't regret anything.There is some stuff I'd change but If I couldn't I wouldn't regret it.

If you're 16 just focus on making value all by yourself, without help.The more you throw yourself at the deep end the better you'll get at swimming.Creating a school club focused on business could be super beneficial too.I just recently started an Entrepreneurship club and our first meeting is next Tuesday, This will be the last big event of my 16th year as I intend to maintain it all the way to graduation.I'll update you guys with what happened.

Like others have said though, take time to enjoy yourself you won't be a teenager forever.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
It would be interesting to perform some TMF case studies and draw correlations between a company's success (in terms of revenue, profit, market share captured, etc) and its alignment with CENTS.

(whispering) Will that be in the new book???:asshat::wacky:

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
Turning 17 next month though I've had a good year of learning and a bit of action so I don't regret anything.There is some stuff I'd change but If I couldn't I wouldn't regret it.

If you're 16 just focus on making value all by yourself, without help.The more you throw yourself at the deep end the better you'll get at swimming.Creating a school club focused on business could be super beneficial too.I just recently started an Entrepreneurship club and our first meeting is next Tuesday, This will be the last big event of my 16th year as I intend to maintain it all the way to graduation.I'll update you guys with what happened.

Like others have said though, take time to enjoy yourself you won't be a teenager forever.
Not sure that an entrepreneurship club would really happen at my school. A grand total of 400 some kids are in my high school. I like the idea though. I also try to keep business out of school.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

I think this carries over into industries.

Once you start to learn the "game" of an industry, you're way ahead of even most employees in that game.

I'm currently working in the international weapon sales game. You wouldn't believe how many little companies make amazing products, yet have no idea how to get clearance to sell them internationally. Folks in my office routinely leave to either consult for high 6-figure sums, or are hired as senior VPs at major defense contractors. None of it is rocket science...they just know the game (and get paid handsomely for it).

If you can one-up the game and change the rules slightly (say, create an IT system or course that helps companies avoid paying consultants in my weapons game), you can make a fortune.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I'd do what i'm doing now but not as intensely.
I wish i knew about fastlane at 16, i'd never have gone to college...
You got the world at your fingertips kid.

Bearcorp

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Jul 2, 2012
Australia
Ah to be 16 again... do your best not to take romantic relationships toooo seriously, so many young people (I did it when I was 16!) give up a lot of time, experiences and personal development trying to keep someone else happy. Focus on your happiness, and if you meet someone thats compatible with that then enjoy the experience!

Don't feel like any job is beneath you, earning money, working with people and for people is fantastic, working at KFC for 6 months at 15 taught me more about customer service, efficient processes, managing other workers, then I could of ever learnt at school.

Have fun!! its a great age to be, the worlds at your feet.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
do your best not to take romantic relationships toooo seriously, so many young people (I did it when I was 16!) give up a lot of time, experiences and personal development trying to keep someone else happy.

I believe you couldn't have been more wrong.

Maintaining a serious relationship since I was 13 (a total of slightly over 5 years now) taught me more lessons than anything else in my life. It made me more mature and showed that once "you've made it", you still have to put in the work to keep the results. It taught me that everything worth having in life requires consistency, care, focus and it never comes easy!

It's just as being a successful entrepreneur.
When you're at the beginning, you're told that you won't make it. You're too young, too immature, inexperienced etc. When you finally make it, people try to justify your success by luck.

Right now I get told that I'm lucky.
All the friends are like "Awww, I wish I was lucky enough to find THE ONE too". Let me tell you one thing, believe it or not, but there is no such thing as "soulmate". Every relationship requires tremendous amount of work. You go clubbing every week to bang easy chicks and yet you expect to find a "true love"? Come on bro.

Maybe I am lucky, in fact, I am the luckiest man alive, but that didn't come easy. Hundreds of fights, tears, even breakups made me the person I am today.

Honestly I could name a 100 lessons I've learned, but I think you get the point.

PS: Do you know how uplifting it is when of all people that crossed you out, there's still that 1 person that believes in you, even though you've lost hope yourself?

Motley crue

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Apr 28, 2015
Portland, ME
If it were me I would look for the hustle. I'd focus on getting my license, use whatever savings you have to buy a pick up truck, and start flipping appliances like refrigerators and washing machines.

Hassassin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 14, 2012
At 16?

I wish I remembered this simple piece of advice:

"Just start, worry about the rest later."

For example, when I was 16 I wanted to earn money writing online. For two years I just thought about it, until I came across this article by MJ...

"How to accomplish anything big in life without being swallowed"

Read it.

It stressed putting one step in front of the other. So that's what I did. I wanted to get better at blogging online, and the best course out there on the subject costed about $500.

I thought back to the article "one step at a time". So I got a job making pizzas for $4/hour, I did it for a year, and bought the course. That course then propelled me further into the blogging world.

I published my first few posts on reputable sites. I just focused on one small step at a time, and moving a little forward, each day. ( I would write for 1 hour a day and reward myself for it by playing saints row 3 :D).

Small action?

Yes. But it snowballed into improving my writing and building discipline. Trust me, baby steps work. Just chip away constantly at what you do and never give up!

Baby steps add up over time.

Jake Studebaker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jan 5, 2017
Charlotte, North Carolina USA
I'm 16 right now thinking the same thing. My goal this year is to make $100k but I have no clue where to start or what company I should dive into. I have studied basic coding, acted in a low-budget film, started a blog, and even quit baseball (Something I have done since age 5) all in the pursuit of this goal. Just wondering if there was any advice out there. I have just started reading TMF and I'm hoping to draw some inspiration from it.

JSM

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Nov 19, 2016
I'm 16 right now thinking the same thing. My goal this year is to make $100k but I have no clue where to start or what company I should dive into. I have studied basic coding, acted in a low-budget film, started a blog, and even quit baseball (Something I have done since age 5) all in the pursuit of this goal. Just wondering if there was any advice out there. I have just started reading TMF and I'm hoping to draw some inspiration from it.
Focus on making $1k first, then $10k, and continually raise your goal. I'm not focused on making money in my current ecommerce endeavor. I'm using it as a learning experience and hoping that I can make money off it. Hope this helps, it is what I have read in many other threads. Good luck!

northerndough

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
May 24, 2015
Montreal, Canada

The above should be our morning prayer. :smile2:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.