• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Trading Life for a Weekend?
    Build a Business, Build a Life.
    Unleash the Dream.

Become an UNSCRIPTED™Entrepreneur.

UNSCRIPTED™ Entrepreneurship is an entrepreneurial business strategy that unleashes dreams, frees time, and explodes your incomes—but more importantly, it changes your life forever. Make no mistake; this isn’t something you “try”— this is something you live.

FREE Download (Unscripted) FREE Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

What would you do at 16?

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by DronePilot, Dec 25, 2016.

FORUM SEARCH

Need answers about entrepreneurship? Search FIRST! More than likely your entrepreneurial topic has already been discussed.
Powered by Google Site Search.
  1. V8Bill

V8Bill Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $16,500
    I've lived to 16 3.25 times already and...
    At 16 I'd want to believe that I have the ability to do mighty things.
    At 16 I'd want to believe that what people say to keep me down says more about them than it does about me.
    At 16 I'd want to know in my heart that I'm not only capable of great things I'm destined for them and they are waiting patiently for me.
    At 16 I'd want to know that drinking and smoking too much is a bad thing and not cool at all.

2. Kubaoo1

Kubaoo1 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $168
    I'm 16, your post is a back breath gaver

Aaron T, Jack McTigue and V8Bill like this.
  3. GMSI7D

GMSI7D Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15

the point is not to read information and to say " hoorray "

you can't understand things here because you haven't lived long enough

that's why parents advices are like toilet paper and are useless most of the time

because teens don't have yet the capacity to understand things

don't worry, this is the same for everydody

this topic is indeed for 40 something people who admit that they were wrong in life

not for 16 years old teen who can't understand what is said

Aaron T and ApeRunner like this.
  4. Nikkiahmet

Nikkiahmet Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $142
    what would i do at 16 ??
    hmmmm
    Enjoy life and plan to go travelling i suppose and see bit more of the world before setting goals of what i would like do.
    I say this because many people that are past 16 now wish that they could of done better in certain things because they have jumped straight onto the first boat.
    You are young and focus on having a little fun and enjoy yourself and write down pros and cons what you would like to do with life.

Goodluck

Aaron T and MattR82 like this.
  5. Mr. Gray

Mr. Gray Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $287
    I would ask yourself "what do I want out of life"

This question will dictate the goals you set for yourself. If you only want to have a business that makes six figures and live comfortably then plan accordingly. If you want to be the richest man or woman in the world then plan accordingly.

You may not know exactly what you want, but as long as you have a rough idea you can start heading into the direction of the goals you desire.

If I could give you one piece of advice, it's you are unaware until you are aware. You will only understand this when you are aware.

If you want to develop a business you will need some essential skills.
    1. Sales (you are selling all the time. For ex. you have to sell you Mom or Dad on why eating at a BBQ restaurant is better than Mexican food) If you can't sell you will never have a profitable business.
    2. Marketing (you need to know how to target your market and automate the process online)
    3. Leadership (if you have employees you need to know how to lead them and direct them for the task that need to be done)
    4. Control your state (your state is you emotional state, if you can't control the way you feel then you will not be able to help people in the most influential way)

Read books and read books that interest you, don't read something someone tells you to read if you don't find it interesting. It will be hard to comprehend the book and you won't enjoy it. After you've been reading for a while you can read books that don't interest you but you know that will benefit you.

MattR82 likes this.
  6. Lionhearted

Lionhearted Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,660
    Love this view on life. BTW I realized as I read it that it's like being in fight club, first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. Your statement even though it is ABSOLUTELY TRUE can not easily be stated when you are mingling with the 99%. They will for the most part look at you like you have a third eye in your head. That's how you know you are on the right path. Thanks. All the best.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  7. BusinessBen

BusinessBen Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,546
    I wouldn't have changed a thing. I started a business at 16. I read a lot of books and put in a lot of work. My business ended up failing but I made some profit and learned a lot. Now I'm 19 and starting another business, with more experience this time. The one thing that changed me at 16 was MJ's book.

8. Gigi Rodgers

Gigi Rodgers Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,528
    If I was 16, first I would tell myself that, "You're really weird and kind of crazy. It suits you. Take pride in that and stop trying to fit in. It'll never work. And that's the best thing that could ever happen to you".

Now that that's done, on to the work.

If I had to learn a skill I would learn the skill of making money by selling my services.
    It could be:
    1. If you're a transition queen on Musical.ly, create an online course where you show people how to do that.
    2. Sell stuff on eBay (I've mentioned this so many of times)
    3. If you're an artist, custom design peoples jeans, hat, or shoes. Create custom "sticker bundles" for Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram, etc.
    4. If you're a girl (or guy) who is REALLY GOOD at makeup, hold a workshop where you teach 3 girls at a time, how to do their makeup and finally get the perfect winged liner (the struggle is real ya'll)
    5. If you're in band or just creating music, make music for YouTubers.
    6. If you're a writer, become the "go-to"editor for your classmates written reports.
    7. If you're into cars, for crying out loud - advertise that you can fix their busted ass car.
    8. Into tech stuff, become the go-to person to fix their computer, or their cracked phone screen, or their iPad, etc.
    9. If you're into video, hit up every local joint that holds events - dance studios, modeling agencies, restaurants, and create a proposal that you can make Musical.ly videos for them to post on social media or that you can record the behind-the-scenes of whatever social event is going on.
    I think that covers the basics.

I wouldn't go to college after graduating UNLESS I had a plan going in.
    And I'm not talking, "What my major"?

I'm talking about:
    • What's my networking opportunity?
    • Is the school, or alumni, connected to a company I want to work for?
    • How much free money can I get from the school?
    • What organizations should I join?
    • What skills can I learn and apply by year one?
    • What kinds of internships and apprenticeships do they have available?
    • Check out the landscape...what opportunities can I jump on while here?
    I'd stay for a year, access what kind of value I got out of it, it's potential for long term gains.
    Then decide if it's worth it or not.

If it's a swipe left...

One of two things:
    1. Go to Community College. Try a bunch of stuff FOR CHEAP. See what you do and don't like. After you find what you do like (let's say it's Facebook re-targeting), take an ONLINE COURSE from professionals in the space and apply it immediately.
      Then run a case study with a brand (and you can say that, there are no upfront costs - except for the ads - and you only get paid 10% of the results that you make from these campaigns. This way you're more likely to put A LOT of effort into making this work)

Keep the experiment short.
      If the results are great, you have something to present to your next clients (e.g., For $X, I can produce Y results for your business).
      If not tweak it, until it works.

2. Go travel the world. It's life changing.
      Maybe teach English in China, Abu Dhabi, Africa, etc.

If you get a job that's computer based, work remotely. As long as you have a wi-fi connection and a VPN, you're good. Hello Bali...
    Hope this helped some peeps.

Certg and Kingmaker like this.
  9. jasoncuellar123

jasoncuellar123 Money Never Sleeps Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,853
    Start learning web development, use your college tuition to fund your business.

MattR82 likes this.
  10. Chinobey

Chinobey Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $279
    Start saving money instead of wasting it on shit ill never use again.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  11. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $229,859
    Admin Post
    Try remembering this as a youngster...

[​IMG]

12. jamez1515

jamez1515 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $21
    I think 16 is the perfect time to live your life. I would never go for money at this stage. I would go to my college and finish my graduation. Maybe a part time job for pocket money.

Jack McTigue likes this.
  13. jkennedy

jkennedy Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $1,119
    I have a friend named Temper Thompson.
    He started out at 16 selling kindle books on Amazon and automating the entire process (he didn't write them).
    He was making 6 figures a year at 17 and now at 19 (I think) he is doing over $100k per month from passive book sales on Kindle.

I've had the privilege to meet him in person on multiple occasions and the kid is extremely bright.
    I would recommend looking him up, you'll find some of his training on how he does it and I would also try to reach out and connect with him as a friend & student.

14. Jack McTigue

Jack McTigue Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $107
    The comments from the 16-year-olds who already have started their journeys are really nice to read, honestly well done. All I was doing was playing games and messing around, what a joke.

Aaron T, amp0193 and Kingmaker like this.
  15. MattR82

MattR82 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,730
    This is interesting.. I'll try keep it short.

If you can, plan to do some travel to a foreign country when you turn 18. I didn't start till I was 27. Before that I probably would have folded straight up if someone offered me an opportunity that took me overseas or out of my comfort zone. I can't begin to stress how much of a benefit it has been to me, being a small town guy from rural Australia.

Start on a skill you can master. I like the above mentioned web developer.

You are of course probably going to need a slowlane job to kick it all off. When I look back over my slowlane career, I can see some clear as day plot points where I learned a hugely valuable lesson/skill.

A job that incorporates:
    Sales/customer service/management (go for a 2ic position maybe) and professionalism (kinda weird that last one but it was the hardest lesson I had to learn and it served me well). Shit, you can pick up a lot of these skills even working as a 2ic in a retail store, and it's not hard work, doesn't need to be a professional gig. Also, if commission is involved, that will help you with your sales practice ;)

Get away from bad influences and surround yourself with people trying to do the same or that are already fastlane.

If you have a side hustle fastlane project to work on, have a go.

Skillzzz and level up! Learn those lessons as fast as possible.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    JordanK and Kingmaker like this.
  16. ravenspear

ravenspear Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $571
    I completely disagree with this. A 16 year old brain is plenty mature enough to comprehend virtually anything an adult brain can. The only thing they are sometimes missing is a fully developed sense of rational analysis and impulse control. This plays out in what teens accomplish and what they get in trouble with. They know how to do virtually anything they want, but they may not have enough intelligence yet to know whether they should do it, or if one path is better to take than another.

But there has been a substantial shift in the last few years to their benefit with the rise of the internet and social media. I subscribe to a guy on youtube who is 16 and another one who is 15. Why do I do this? Because they have fucking insightful content, that's why. In a previous time would I have paid any attention to what a 16 year old had to say? Very unlikely. So what has changed? Has their biology somehow gotten way better in the last few years? Of course not. What has changed is that they have access to the same cultural firehose of information that the rest of us do, and they have just as good of a capacity to learn and communicate back good information should they choose to.

Intelligence is not just about the state of your biology or genetics. The information you receive from your environment is just as critical a component in shaping your intelligence. If I were to go to an African or South American jungle and find someone the same age as me but with no access to the outside world and give them an IQ test, there is very little chance they would score higher than me. Does that mean that they are biologically inferior? Of course not, it just means that their development was not shaped by the same cultural richness as mine was, so they were not able to develop the same capacity. It's the same reason why children in families with high socioeconomic status come out usually more intelligent and capable than children from poor families.

By the same token, younger people today have substantial advantages over previous generations because so many barriers to knowledge and intellectual development have been torn down that they can shape their minds in a more complex way at earlier ages than ever before with such a vast library of people and ideas available to them. In a previous time you might learn things from your parents, maybe few friends, and a few teachers at school. If you were really driven you might go to the library and check out a few books. Today you can absorb exponentially more data much faster and easier and from hundreds or thousands of people. This has profound implications for the potential young people can develop because early stage education is critical to maximizing your brain's potential.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    DronePilot likes this.
  17. amp0193

amp0193 Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,100
    Same here man.

But it's ok.

The choices we make bring us to where we are.

No need for regrets, just move forward now that you know better.

AlessioLC, Jack McTigue and Kingmaker like this.
  18. Aaron T

Aaron T Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,260
    When I was 15 I wanted to buy the Amiga 2000 computer fully loaded. I was already programming my own games and the brand new Amiga was the bomb for its time. Amiga - Wikipedia for reference. So I didn't get any kind of allowance. I earned my money coding so I decided to code up a really nice game to submit to Antic Magazine on my then getting long in the tooth Atari 800XL. By 16 I was done with the whole program and Antic rejected the platformer style game as too long to publish. Well crap. So I made it a finished game (similar to Montezuma's Revenge if anyone remembers that one) and started to advertise it in the trade rags, at meetups, and *gasp* on BBS before the Internet as it is known today. Send me $5 dollars, prepaid postage, and I will send you a wonderful game on a floppy. Took a bit, made a few sales. Got part way to the goal when some game publisher wanna be wanted to include my game in their offerings. I sold it for $3500 and royalties. They never ever took off or published it, but I had enough for my Amiga 2000 and a bunch of games.

No, it is not a riches story, but it shows that age doesn't matter if you have the drive, a skill, and the focus. Right now, I would be a front end web developer. No one knows your age online. You can make a professional looking company with a bunch of fake names if you wanted online (see TMF book) and look older, professional. Sell your service if you can do it.

The alternative is also at 16 to suck it up, exercise humility, learn, enjoy the hell out of life. To be honest, if I could go back to 16 I would probably take more time to enjoy being a kid again. Honest. Hindsight of being older.

DronePilot, Cavallie and Kingmaker like this.
  19. RogueInnovation

RogueInnovation Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $11,755
    So take away the personalised component in order to improve your focus
    Have a perspective that allows for your independence and encourages it intuitively
    Put aside worries and anxieties and getting tangled up in all the mess
    Set simpler goals, uninfluenced by others
    Figure out the rules, the boundaries, and adjust to that reality

I know what you mean
    You can't let people make business into a bigger thing than it is
    If in your head it is all about impressing THEM you are done for
    But if it is about achieving a simple self determined goal, then who can stop you?
    And if they try, they won't go unchallenged, you'll fight for your way

And money in that picture is taking the power from their hands, and positioning it in yours
    And then you strategise and move and do things

Maybe thats the key to it
    But also... maybe not
    Either way I think its better developed than not developed
    Cuz leaving it undeveloped is like having no guard up in boxing and just letting them peg you
    Pivot, move, duck, dodge, weave, counter, take center ring
    Don't use being a victim as part of your strategy

Be an empire of one, stay on your toes, let them come

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Aaron T likes this.
  20. ljb7

ljb7 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,334
    I started my 1st business at 16. I failed a lot that year. At 17, it picked up. I made some good change. Got hugely scammed by a friend. It failed when I hit 18. Put it down to lack of control and getting sidetracked by 1st year of college.

Left college after 6 months. Met a girl (mistake). Started a new business (ecommerce). Failed the shit out of for 9 months. Reduced to the last little bit of money I had from my previous biz. Then it turned around. Picked up. I made products from my home for almost a year to save on costs. When it grew too big, I outsourced (best decision ever).

Moved to another country at 20. Biz continues to expand year on year (7 figures now). Launching new brands left and right. I'm launching a service in my new country mid-November... Huge potential. I just turned 22.

Judging purely from my own experience of starting my journey at 16... the best advice is just to start something. Work smart and persevere. The advice is thrown around a lot... for good reason. I wasn't an 'entrepreneur' to begin with, but now my mind works like one. And you could say I'm obsessed (in a good way).

I put off things like travelling because I knew that once I got to a point, I'd be able to do it without a worry. And I did, this summer. Visited some new places. Never had to give it a second thought. Now I'm deciding on where to move next... USA? Europe? Asia?

And the funny thing is, I'm not hyper dedicated (at least anymore). My current business operates without my input (other than an hour a day, maybe). Of course, if I want it to expand I have to put in the hours, which is fine... because its fun building something that continues to spit money back at you. I've had gaps (especially at the beginning) where I put things to the side. I really got serious after failing at ecommerce for 9 months and it turning around. Being an entrepreneur is a learnt thing and I wholeheartedly vouch for that... so just start.

Kingmaker and Aaron T like this.
  21. meridian_blue

meridian_blue New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $38
    5 things I would do if I was 16 (or recommend to a 16 year old).

1. STOP with video games, television, porn. Huge time drains, doesn't bring long-term satisfaction.

2. Get an understanding of healthy eating, lifting. Health has the best ROI of any investment.

3. Figure out my skillset/interests. Basically, what is my top 3 skills/talents? How can I get into the top 5% in these three things, and how can I combine them to make $$. One of these skills MUST be sales (persuasive communication, verbal and written). Another needs to be technical.

4. Now you decide whether or not to go to university. Does your skillset/interests has to do with engineering, finance, computer science? If so, college is a good investment (assuming you can get out without lots of debt!). Otherwise, plan to get a technical education that pays well (to fund your hustle).

5. READ. Read and learn constantly. This can be books or through forums (just make sure you're reading the right sort of material, i.e. not Slowlane).

There are more, but these are the crucial things.

22. ironman150

ironman150 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $226
    and this statement should be taught to every freshmen in high school.

DronePilot likes this.