The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What skill would you recommend learning on a daily commute?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
I’m asking this just out of curiosity, if you were to commute daily for 4 hours(2 hours to work, return 2 hours from work to home), what skill would you recommend learning if she/he wants to start a side hustle? I just came across a bunch of people commuting daily for 3-4 hours, just downloading and binging over netflix, which I think is a complete waste of time.

P.S: I’m not asking this for myself. I’m just asking out of curiosity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

avafab

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Jan 23, 2017
Italy
I’m asking this just out of curiosity, if you were to commute daily for 4 hours(2 hours to work, return 2 hours from work to home), what skill would you recommend learning if she/he wants to start a side hustle? I just came across a bunch of people commuting daily for 3-4 hours, just downloading and binging over netflix, which I think is a complete waste of time.

When I was commuting from Cambridge to London, I used that time to learn Java. I had a big book called "head first Java". One chapter every day on the train. I did tremendous progress by using the commuting time. also, it helped me being consistent.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

1. Mindset (TMF + N Hill’s Think and Grow Rich)
2. Relationship building (How to Win Friends and Influence People)
3. Sales (SPIN Selling, Rainmaker, Pitch Anything)

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
I might be biased, but - yeah, - investing time into learning about investing, is a super handy skill to have "on the go" Because, you need some serious amounts of time invested into it for it to be of any use at all really. But then again there is no upside to the gains, and you can "do it" from pretty much everywhere. Mind you Im not talking about day trading here. Im talking about learning to become an investor. The image of Nicholas Darvas sitting at a cafe never failed to inspire me.1634940448315.png
I just love the fact that he made millions as a "side hustle" to his dancing from the other side of the world. - So make sure your friend read his book, how I made 2 millions in the stock market, at get her inspired on the idea, that her comuting back and forth, might just end up becoming her most profitable time slots in her entire day =)

The "game" is - learn how to double your money. Does NOT matter how much money we are talking about - just learn how to do it. You can spend some serious "brain time" figuring this out. Together with Nicholas book, I would suggest picking up how to make money in stocks by William O'Neil. and of course one of my favs, common stocks and uncommon profits. You should then find yoruself with a good variety, nicholas darvas focused on what the stock price did... not so much the company. Philip focused primarily on finding the exelent (and underpriced) companies, that you could reason would do good because of x,y,z . And Williams focuses on kind of a hybird between the two, picking the "best" stocks and bying at certain key moments, based on stock patterns, cups with handles etc etc. All of this takes HUGE amounts of time to digest, and get experience with.

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
I would recommend apps like Duolingo and mimo, 5minutes a day can teach you new language

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

I love those spare moments. It's like finding a lost $100 bill in the bottom of the washing machine. Totally welcome and useful.

That's how I got through law school when I was in my 40's. I was doing RE appraisals -- so I was driving between jobs. I listened to tapes and I memorized subject/course outlines.

Now, I listen to non-fiction audiobooks while I work on boring stuff like bookkeeping for my different businesses. And then there are chores at home like cooking and the dishes... The time I spend feels like it speeds up when I'm lost in a book. It makes the chore less work.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
posture, presence, eye-contact, general confidence amongst your fellow commuters.

Too many people on public transport are slouched, hunched over, looking down at the ground, avoiding eye contact, afraid to say anything to one another.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I might be biased, but - yeah, - investing time into learning about investing, is a super handy skill to have "on the go" Because, you need some serious amounts of time invested into it for it to be of any use at all really. But then again there is no upside to the gains, and you can "do it" from pretty much everywhere. Mind you Im not talking about day trading here. Im talking about learning to become an investor. The image of Nicholas Darvas sitting at a cafe never failed to inspire me.View attachment 40449
I just love the fact that he made millions as a "side hustle" to his dancing from the other side of the world. - So make sure your friend read his book, how I made 2 millions in the stock market, at get her inspired on the idea, that her comuting back and forth, might just end up becoming her most profitable time slots in her entire day =)

The "game" is - learn how to double your money. Does NOT matter how much money we are talking about - just learn how to do it. You can spend some serious "brain time" figuring this out. Together with Nicholas book, I would suggest picking up how to make money in stocks by William O'Neil. and of course one of my favs, common stocks and uncommon profits. You should then find yoruself with a good variety, nicholas darvas focused on what the stock price did... not so much the company. Philip focused primarily on finding the exelent (and underpriced) companies, that you could reason would do good because of x,y,z . And Williams focuses on kind of a hybird between the two, picking the "best" stocks and bying at certain key moments, based on stock patterns, cups with handles etc etc. All of this takes HUGE amounts of time to digest, and get experience with.

Never heard of this guy, reading his Wiki, fascinating story.

Ivan sntr

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Nov 27, 2017
Sydney

It really depends on what kind of business you want to build.
Without knowing the details, here are 3 key skills virtually any business should master:

Learn how to sell.
No matter what business you are in, you will need to sell a product/service, an idea or yourself.
Selling includes learning how to handle objections, how to write direct response copy and more.
I recommend persuasion from robert cialdini and I personally learned a lot from jordan belforts - straight line persuasion course. - If you don't have the cash to get the course, have a look at his youtube channel

Learn how to hire.
Hiring the right people is not something you just do, it's a often overlooked skill, I learned it the hard way
Know your strengths and your weaknesses and hire accordingly. Everybody needs a system for hiring.
I suggest reading 1-2books around that topic.

Learn Project Management.
PM gives you a clear repeatable framework to follow.
It makes sure you have the right priorities, it helps you stay organized and it keeps everybody on your team accountable.
I suggest reading "The unofficial Project manager" , Or take a course on coursera, like Googles Project Management course.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
I've been getting into the habit of listening to a book on Audible or a Podcast that I have an interest in.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore

Develop a possible business idea and you will find something to learn.

Even if the business idea is not working out and you give up later, you have learnt something.

I always find it easier to learn with an objective in mind.

Angler

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Sep 9, 2021
I've been practicing copywriting on my commutes. Also, I try to chat with the people around me to see what they enjoy/dislike(what may seem like idle chat, is actually my way of discovering their pain points). But these activities align with what I want to be doing 1)improve my written sales skills and 2)look for needs that are local(and potentially wider) that I can form a business around

I guess the better question to ask is: what are you trying to do? How does whatever skill/thing you learn along the commute to get you closer to that goal? All these answers work FOR THE PERSON POSTING, but may not for you. Unless you have the same goals and intention as them

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo

Podcasting is very good. I'm listening to Andy Frisella's Real AF podcast on Spotify practically everyday, whether it'll be driving, exercising, walking etc. His tips on running a business are world class.

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway
Podcasting is very good. I'm listening to Andy Frisella's Real AF podcast on Spotify practically everyday, whether it'll be driving, exercising, walking etc. His tips on running a business are world class.

I'll make sure to check this out. Life is a box of chocolates, you never know when or where you'll get the tips that has to power to change your life - but the trick is to get an inkling when its staring you in the face =) - Just scrolling down his playlist to get to the bottom was a real treat - you can tell from just looking at the headlines, that this stuff has great potential.

------------------
Having finished the first episode, I just came back to say: This is great stuff!

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I remember commuting 90 minutes each way. I listened to business and marketing podcasts. There’s a danger you fill your head up with too much “stuff” though, and don’t give yourself time to think and figure work out what you already know.

I do a 6 hour trip once a month now and listen to a few podcasts in that time. I really enjoy the space to just focus on a few things.

I try to listen to content related to what I’m working on at that moment, rather than generic stuff that distracts me with new ideas etc.

Say I’m interested in email marketing and have time to listen to 4 podcasts. I’ll try to listen to episodes from various podcasts rather than listen to one podcast specifically about email marketing. Unless it’s a podcast where they interview different guests about email marketing. I think it’s an amazing way to level up on a new topic.

To answer the question though… learn whatever interests you, and whatever solves the problem directly in front of you. But beware filling up your brain space…

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Sales and marketing.

It is the key to everything. The foundation on which all good businesses are built.

And once learned ... it follows you everywhere you go. It is universal.

I am a great divorce lawyer - but an even better marketer. And that ... is the secret to my success.

I know how to sell.

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia
I remember commuting 90 minutes each way. I listened to business and marketing podcasts. There’s a danger you fill your head up with too much “stuff” though, and don’t give yourself time to think and figure work out what you already know.

I do a 6 hour trip once a month now and listen to a few podcasts in that time. I really enjoy the space to just focus on a few things.

I try to listen to content related to what I’m working on at that moment, rather than generic stuff that distracts me with new ideas etc.

Say I’m interested in email marketing and have time to listen to 4 podcasts. I’ll try to listen to episodes from various podcasts rather than listen to one podcast specifically about email marketing. Unless it’s a podcast where they interview different guests about email marketing. I think it’s an amazing way to level up on a new topic.

To answer the question though… learn whatever interests you, and whatever solves the problem directly in front of you. But beware filling up your brain space…
Great answer.. I used to do that very thing. Learn learn learn learn learn.
Its a great vid on YT from a guy talking about why he stopped reading self help books.

Pretty much said if it wasnt related to his current issue he doesnt read nonfiction. Can completely agree. Unless its nonfiction entertainment (history).

I know a bunch of random, useless thing. Whoopie. Makes one question the validity of IQ tests. Okay, you know a bunch of stuff. But so what?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Great answer.. I used to do that very thing. Learn learn learn learn learn.
Its a great vid on YT from a guy talking about why he stopped reading self help books.

Pretty much said if it wasnt related to his current issue he doesnt read nonfiction. Can completely agree. Unless its nonfiction entertainment (history).

I know a bunch of random, useless thing. Whoopie. Makes one question the validity of IQ tests. Okay, you know a bunch of stuff. But so what?
You just reminded me. I want to turn on my Kindle and listen to the book I'm into to right now. I never know what two pieces of knowledge will intersect and become valuable. Then again, I LOVE to learn new stuff. It keeps my mind nimble.
I am again listening to Fooled by Randomness, by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. The idea that so much of our success is random luck is more than unsettling. But, it is a fact that I have personally witnessed over the years.

Ed Schimmel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 19, 2021
Brisbane, Australia
When I commuted to work by train, I worked on my project. This gave me 5 hours per week extra to work on it. I also worked on it during lunch and on the weekends. Adding up all the short periods I was able to work around 20 hours per week on it, next to my job. When you use these seemingly short periods smartly you can do a lot more with it than you realize in the first instance.

Besides making my SaaS product, which is also in the Marketplace here, I learned new techniques and still do. Things I was not able to learn on the job.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.