The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What is the most MISCONCEIVED part of entrepreneurship?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
What is the most misconceived or misunderstood part of being a successful entrepreneur? What part of being a successful entrepreneur do you think most people fail to understand or underestimate?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
To me, I would say most people (including me at first) assume success has to do with "skills" or "what you know", but don't understand how much of it has to do with personal growth and mindset change.

EricFromCanada

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 19, 2017
Canada
What is the most misconceived or misunderstood part of being a successful entrepreneur? What part of being a successful entrepreneur do you think most people fail to understand or underestimate?
From my own experience and seeing the experiences of those I know, I would have to say the amount of commitment and hard work needed in order for the business to succeed. Lots of people it seems, who become interested in entrepreneurship do it because they think they can rich easy, and as a result, underestimate the grind.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I agree with you. Many people don't understand the process of growth, mindset, the hard work, dedication, hours and hours of refining just about everything within yourself, besides the skills, and education. Most people I know don't understand my dedication, devotion, passion, and my 100% commitment getting there. There is not an instant reward. I've personally made a lot of sacrifices.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
What is the most misconceived or misunderstood part of being a successful entrepreneur?

Getting through the bad times.

You can go from the highest of highs to the most crushing of lows in a span of minutes.

Grinding, starting up, etc. also isn't pleasant.

Being an entrepreneur involves a lot of lows that you have to push through, and that most people aren't capable of dealing with.

Tris

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jan 5, 2018
New York

You can go from the highest of highs to the most crushing of lows in a span of minutes.

Being an entrepreneur involves a lot of lows that you have to push through, and that most people aren't capable of dealing with.
This is so true. Sometimes having people around you to remind you why you are doing what you do is helpful also.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Absolutely 1000% agree with this. I recall nights when I started the business waking up in a cold sweat wondering what the hell I was thinking. Not many people know what that's like or are willing to commit to feeling like that.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
From my own experience and seeing the experiences of those I know, I would have to say the amount of commitment and hard work needed in order for the business to succeed. Lots of people it seems, who become interested in entrepreneurship do it because they think they can rich easy, and as a result, underestimate the grind.
The commitment thing is huge huge huge.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
That someone is going to steal your idea KGB style, when the biggest problem for new businesses is getting noticed.

Actually, the competition to fear... probably has an overload of good ideas to test and implement. Or they are afraid of undermining their existing model by, "giving too much and spoiling people."

Un-executed ideas are worth less than the turd you offer the toilet every morning. At least those are tangible, consistent and can generate responses in others.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
That someone is going to steal your idea KGB style, when the biggest problem for new businesses is getting noticed.

Actually, the competition to fear... probably has an overload of good ideas to test and implement. Or they are afraid of undermining their existing model by, "giving too much and spoiling people."

Un-executed ideas are worth less than the turd you offer the toilet every morning. At least those are tangible, consistent and can generate responses in others.
One of the great takeaways I got from the lean startup. The author dares you to TRY to get a competitor to steal one of your ideas.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I don't know about this "successful" entrepreneur stuff
The connotation behind that is "you must must must measure everything in money"
And while I get that YOU CANNOT FEEL DIFFERENT WITHOUT MONEY
It is also true, money cannot make you whole

There are platitudes around money, FROM LOSERS who think that struggling every day is the "simple life" and "just embrace" the abuse of it. But this is different from what I am saying.
I am saying that you need BOTH, enough money, AND READINESS to be whole. If you lack either one, the pain will persist in you that you aren't good enough, that you aren't a "success".

Look, I don't care about "successful" entreprenuer, I care about, am I utilising the real spirit, the real attitude and convictions of an ideal entreprenuer. Am I being the kind of guy who goes out there and changes the world with his ideas and ability to make it happen?

Too many people get stuck in a cookie cutter pathway to money, they try to do what everyone else does, while screaming "But I'm the better version". It is all a bunch of nonsense, no one is the better version in almost all scenarios, and everyone is in a way screaming for a handout "please pick my business and save me". No Rupunzel, your business is not a rope made out of your own hair for me to climb up, and I am not a Prince.

You just gotta cut the sh*t.

If you wanna be "successful" it means you see yourself as pathetic,
How do you fix feeling pathetic?
Not by chasing money like a dog after cars.
You do it by being CALM in places of pressure where no one else is calm. You do it by being a man of reason when all others are unreasonable. You do it by listening when no others listen.
And then, WHEN CALM AND READY, and you EARN money enough for freedom. You will be released of that disgusting and pathetic chase for cash that lords itself over people their whole lives.

Thankfully, I'm free of that.
To me the biggest misconception is that success comes from money, OR out of thin air.
It takes both mind and matter, not one over the other.

You wont be "successful" cuz you make money btw
Ive seen so many MILLIONAIRES run around like headless chickens due to their insecurities cuz they haven't made themselves whole. Screaming like little kids when things don't go their way or pretending they are mr. boss. To me, the most pathetic thing is to not be able to recognize success when you have it. Or to say you have success just cuz of money. Cuz if you are still a little boy or girl inside about the money, then why are you talking "success" when you haven't FELT SECURE about yourself yet. Anyone can feel excitation from having money in their account, anyone can ASSUME it is enough... But the raw truth is that isn't enough.

To me, "success" is about how CLEARLY YOU SEE what entrepreneur means.
AND THE ABILITY TO FOLLOW THROUGH.
I RIGHTLY am suspicious of my own entrepreneur abilities cuz of my follow through ability.
But I have followed through ENOUGH to be without any worries in life. An if that isn't success, then what will more money bring? Lol.

So, I know I'm a success.

However, I am NOT this "successful entrepreneur" thingy
I admire Elon Musk for that
and I will try to get to that WHEN I CAN
But in the mean time, I count my successes where I have them, and I'm pretty happy.

If your only way to feel ok about what you are doing is to be "iron man"
Hahahahaha
Get a reality check.

There are two kinds of success
F*ck You Success (which I got)
And
I'm the spirit of an entrepreneur (which I admire Elon for)

If you can't enjoy the first cuz you are too busy feeling small in the shadow of the second, I laugh at you. Stop being SUCH an idiot. Get your FU money, and feel whole, and THEN WHEN READY go further. Don't get life backwards and think the only success is that which others will praise you for. WHO CARES WHAT ANYONE THINKS, be your own man financially.

That is my view on it.
But as far as a big misconception in business itself, I would say the misconception that "doing the moves and making the steps will get you there", haha, no. You need to understand each step you are taking AS MUCH AS you are willing to take the step. Taking the step without understanding is an action fake, and understanding the step but not taking it is a hobby not a business.

I'd say a big misconception is that people think a business just needs a figurehead in order to run. I dunno, be more than that.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't know about this "successful" entrepreneur stuff
The connotation behind that is "you must must must measure everything in money"
And while I get that YOU CANNOT FEEL DIFFERENT WITHOUT MONEY
It is also true, money cannot make you whole

There are platitudes around money, FROM LOSERS who think that struggling every day is the "simple life" and "just embrace" the abuse of it. But this is different from what I am saying.
I am saying that you need BOTH, enough money, AND READINESS to be whole. If you lack either one, the pain will persist in you that you aren't good enough, that you aren't a "success".

Look, I don't care about "successful" entreprenuer, I care about, am I utilising the real spirit, the real attitude and convictions of an ideal entreprenuer. Am I being the kind of guy who goes out there and changes the world with his ideas and ability to make it happen?

Too many people get stuck in a cookie cutter pathway to money, they try to do what everyone else does, while screaming "But I'm the better version". It is all a bunch of nonsense, no one is the better version in almost all scenarios, and everyone is in a way screaming for a handout "please pick my business and save me". No Rupunzel, your business is not a rope made out of your own hair for me to climb up, and I am not a Prince.

You just gotta cut the sh*t.

If you wanna be "successful" it means you see yourself as pathetic,
How do you fix feeling pathetic?
Not by chasing money like a dog after cars.
You do it by being CALM in places of pressure where no one else is calm. You do it by being a man of reason when all others are unreasonable. You do it by listening when no others listen.
And then, WHEN CALM AND READY, and you EARN money enough for freedom. You will be released of that disgusting and pathetic chase for cash that lords itself over people their whole lives.

Thankfully, I'm free of that.
To me the biggest misconception is that success comes from money, OR out of thin air.
It takes both mind and matter, not one over the other.

You wont be "successful" cuz you make money btw
Ive seen so many MILLIONAIRES run around like headless chickens due to their insecurities cuz they haven't made themselves whole. Screaming like little kids when things don't go their way or pretending they are mr. boss. To me, the most pathetic thing is to not be able to recognize success when you have it. Or to say you have success just cuz of money. Cuz if you are still a little boy or girl inside about the money, then why are you talking "success" when you haven't FELT SECURE about yourself yet. Anyone can feel excitation from having money in their account, anyone can ASSUME it is enough... But the raw truth is that isn't enough.

To me, "success" is about how CLEARLY YOU SEE what entrepreneur means.
AND THE ABILITY TO FOLLOW THROUGH.
I RIGHTLY am suspicious of my own entrepreneur abilities cuz of my follow through ability.
But I have followed through ENOUGH to be without any worries in life. An if that isn't success, then what will more money bring? Lol.

So, I know I'm a success.

However, I am NOT this "successful entrepreneur" thingy
I admire Elon Musk for that
and I will try to get to that WHEN I CAN
But in the mean time, I count my successes where I have them, and I'm pretty happy.

If your only way to feel ok about what you are doing is to be "iron man"
Hahahahaha
Get a reality check.

There are two kinds of success
F*ck You Success (which I got)
And
I'm the spirit of an entrepreneur (which I admire Elon for)

If you can't enjoy the first cuz you are too busy feeling small in the shadow of the second, I laugh at you. Stop being SUCH an idiot. Get your FU money, and feel whole, and THEN WHEN READY go further. Don't get life backwards and think the only success is that which others will praise you for. WHO CARES WHAT ANYONE THINKS, be your own man financially.

That is my view on it.
But as far as a big misconception in business itself, I would say the misconception that "doing the moves and making the steps will get you there", haha, no. You need to understand each step you are taking AS MUCH AS you are willing to take the step. Taking the step without understanding is an action fake, and understanding the step but not taking it is a hobby not a business.

I'd say a big misconception is that people think a business just needs a figurehead in order to run. I dunno, be more than that.

Great writeup - very interesting. I think success is reaching the goals you set. IE: I feel successful in business but many other areas of my life, fitness, friendships etc I feel like less of a success.

I used goals because success is relative. Yea - my business success is great to me. But compared to elon musk, neither my successes or the risks I've taken are even measurable.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What part of being a successful entrepreneur do you think most people fail to understand or underestimate?
That you're always figuring it out as you go along. That it's a journey.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I Would say that the concept of “making money” is misunderstood.

In economics 101 entrepreneurship is a resource.

We are here to maximize utility for society and provide value and produce effectively. Solve problems. Basically allocate resources where they are needed. And not waste anything.

Chasing money ignores that and just focuses on the money cause most people just think about the money and the cool stuff you can buy with it.

When you are chasing money from the eyes of an economist you are wasting resources because you are not making sales and hence wasting resources.

Thinking about it this way increases probablities of building something where buyers amd consumers will gravitate towards. Cause you take into account the interests and needs of another party.

And also that a lot of success is just knowing how to think critically. Failure is almost rarely the fault of external causes rather faults and errors in our own thinking and judgement.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
1. So and so said they liked the idea and would buy one. That is all that is needed for market confirmation.

2. Someone will steal my fantastic idea. The second an investor hears how good my idea is, we'll be gabillionaires.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Failure. I pity the person who hasn’t failed yet. I pity the person who hasn’t been humbled yet. Why? Because those that have (and take responsibility) are immeasurably smarter and better equipped.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
The idea of being your own boss. Most people think it means infinite free time. It actually needs you need immense self-discipline to keep yourself on track with no one to answer to but yourself.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Failure. I pity the person who hasn’t failed yet. I pity the person who hasn’t been humbled yet. Why? Because those that have (and take responsibility) are immeasurably smarter and better equipped.

I would put this at my number one, which is part of "mindset" obviously. Looking back on my early ventures, I would quit when I contacted 10 people and didn't get a response, failure was like a shameful thing. Huge part of the mindset change is rethinking what failure is, and realizing it's a necessary part of the process.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

Very true, the hardest thing to rewire in my head was to not chase money.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't think we *make* money, I think we *earn* money.

There's millions flowing around us at all times - we just need to connect to it so it flows through us. (There’s a reason it’s called cash-flow and currency.)

Also, and more importantly:
  • "Money is proof you helped your fellow man." (@MJ DeMarco)

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
  • Thinking that you don't have to deal with work that sucks when you have your own business (since you're a "CEO" now).
  • Thinking the outside world believes you when you're "working on projects and startups", while you actually have done jack shit.
  • Thinking that just starting with that super unique idea will replace your income and make you rich in just a few months.
  • Thinking profit is extra money and not eaten away by taxes.
Man, what was I thinking...

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
  • Thinking profit is extra money and not eaten away by taxes.
Man, what was I thinking...

This is huge lol. It's funny because I thought to myself "once I make 10k a month, I'll be golden, how could you not live off 10k a month". Well, realistically in order to stay below tax bracket, I pay myself $8500 a month and end up taking home $5k after taxes

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I think that most entrepreneurs think that successful business owners actually know what they’re doing.

One thing you learn very early on is that no one knows what the f*** they’re doing.

A successful entrepreneur is just someone who fails fast and adapts fast.

3mersonM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Feb 14, 2018
USA
I agree with you. Many people don't understand the process of growth, mindset, the hard work, dedication, hours and hours of refining just about everything within yourself, besides the skills, and education. Most people I know don't understand my dedication, devotion, passion, and my 100% commitment getting there. There is not an instant reward. I've personally made a lot of sacrifices.

Even though I am really new to this forum this really resonated with me.

The hours and hours of unpaid work ; staying up late into the night working until whatever I'm working on is finished.
The commitment to do what needs to be done no matter what. Not tomorrow , not later ..if it can be done today then it must be done today.

I have seen too many people looking for the secret pill to solve everything overnight and I have learned the hard way that it simply does not exist. It's like a seed, you must plant, water it and fertilize it and if you take care of it, it will bear fruit.

And mindset. You must believe in yourself 100%. There must be no self doubt. I think that one really helped get all the others in order. It's like self fulfilling prophecy.

This is what I really like about this forum.
People going through the same process that I am and knowing that if I fail I can get back up tweak something and keep going and eventually I will be better off than when I started.

And like you said..There is no instant reward. It's a process and not just a single step.
I hope to learn from everyone here. I am glad to be part of this great forum.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I have seen too many people looking for the secret pill to solve everything overnight and I have learned the hard way that it simply does not exist. It's like a seed, you must plant, water it and fertilize it and if you take care of it, it will bear fruit.
It's difficult sometimes to support yourself. Be your own motivator.

It's difficult when you have to keep moving forward and leave others behind emotionally and mentally, because it truly is a mindset. And it's difficult when you understand certain concepts and other people don't. I'm usually the lone wolf, but I understand it's my personal space, world, and goals. I think this is the hardest part, knowing you're on your own, stand in your own personal power, and fire away. Sucks sometimes, but I think it helps to be in this forum, because you're around like minded people, with similar goals, and achieving their dreams.

I stay here for that reason, and I haven't found any other place where you have a group like this.

Today, I'm kind of wired. I have that creative energy flying, which I love when I'm in that flow. Prolific and everything comes out fast and easy. Not always like that.

Nothing does happen overnight. And I see it too much trying to get out the easy way. I don't always like learning everything I do, working hard, sacrificing, but I understand life isn't going to happen without making it happen.

Glad you're here. Hope the forum gives you a lot of inspiration and points you in the right direction. Wish the best for you on your projects.

3mersonM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Feb 14, 2018
USA
It's difficult sometimes to support yourself. Be your own motivator.

It's difficult when you have to keep moving forward and leave others behind emotionally and mentally, because it truly is a mindset. And it's difficult when you understand certain concepts and other people don't. I'm usually the lone wolf, but I understand it's my personal space, world, and goals. I think this is the hardest part, knowing you're on your own, stand in your own personal power, and fire away. Sucks sometimes, but I think it helps to be in this forum, because you're around like minded people, with similar goals, and achieving their dreams.

I stay here for that reason, and I haven't found any other place where you have a group like this.

Today, I'm kind of wired. I have that creative energy flying, which I love when I'm in that flow. Prolific and everything comes out fast and easy. Not always like that.

Nothing does happen overnight. And I see it too much trying to get out the easy way. I don't always like learning everything I do, working hard, sacrificing, but I understand life isn't going to happen without making it happen.

Glad you're here. Hope the forum gives you a lot of inspiration and points you in the right direction. Wish the best for you on your projects.

Thanks friend. I'm glad to have found this forum and I am ready to soak up all the great information like a sponge and apply it in the real world.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Even though I am really new to this forum this really resonated with me.

The hours and hours of unpaid work ; staying up late into the night working until whatever I'm working on is finished.
The commitment to do what needs to be done no matter what. Not tomorrow , not later ..if it can be done today then it must be done today.

And mindset. You must believe in yourself 100%. There must be no self doubt. I think that one really helped get all the others in order. It's like self fulfilling prophecy.

This is what I really like about this forum.
People going through the same process that I am and knowing that if I fail I can get back up tweak something and keep going and eventually I will be better off than when I started.

And like you said..There is no instant reward. It's a process and not just a single step.
I hope to learn from everyone here. I am glad to be part of this great forum.

Great post, and you seem to understand the mindset it takes to get you where you need to be. Everything worthwhile is a seed, you're right. Nothing worth pursuing happens overnight.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.