The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What improved your life so much that you wish you did it sooner?

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
  1. Accepting who I am and letting go of people who are not okay with my weirdness uniqueness.
  2. Learning to say No, specially to time thieves.
  3. Stopping listening to the naysayers who wanted me to live to their standards instead of unlocking my potential.
  4. Reading TMF - It has caused a lot discomfort, but it confirmed that something didn't feel quite right. I used to love my profession and being paid for doing what I loved, but being an employee sucked big time, which bosses and coworkers kindly reminded me regularly.
  5. Stopping spending so much time learning about programming once I reached a certain point, it was a time sink for marginal benefit. Building products instead got more rewarding.
  6. Resuming spending more time on music, which I've been neglecting for years.
  7. Understanding that meaningful work that offers the right challenge and makes you grow is important for happiness.
  8. Understanding that I should be happy before you reach your goals, as the journey itself is the goal.
  9. Finding alignment between work, lifestyle, and goals - This drove me nuts for years, but I think I finally got the right direction.
  10. Travelling abroad - It took me almost 28 years to get out of my home country. I missed out so much, but I've been catching up in the following years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Steeltip

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Mar 17, 2021
Houston, TX
1. Realizing that life isn't a string of good events and can never be. In short, don't be afraid to get hit and your confidence will skyrocket
2. Stopping taking shortcuts in place of hard a$$ F*cking work
3. Deciding to pursue entrepreneurship
4. confidence is essence is really the combination of the first fact (don't be afraid to get hit by life/people) and your self-efficacy created by you overcoming incredibly hard shit and failing and still moving forward.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

It can be whatever in any aspect of your life, both big and small things.
Actually taking sometime to care for myself. I mean this as in taking more time to read, learn, have fun and experiences. School really shut me down from this and after a hard year with school I feel much better. Working on my goals and hobbies - doing stuff I enjoy.

Managing a balance between Family, Creating, and whatever else I want to do. Really helped push me in the right direction.

Final thing: I quit talking to my friends who ridiculed me with empty criticism. By not talking about my goals with just anyone I've had an improvement in focus and in skill by actually doing it instead of talking. But it doesn't help to have unnecessary criticism. A regular convo would go:
"What're you upto?" (My Friend),
"Nothing Much just working on X and Y" (me),
"Get real its very unlikely" (my Friend).

Once you have enough of the ridicule for no reason and put the right and supportive people into your life it helps its like adding a latter to a ledge you can climb it so much easier

capito

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 5, 2021
A little change of words in your title works for me.

"What made your life so much better and happy that you wish you could do it again?"

Action, movement, creativity, challenge, add value, greater involvement with the community/society, ....,
All these things defined my life early, and I always found joy and gratitude with all the acts, people and things that were in my journey.

As the years went by, I stagnated, especially living in a rural area. I can't pretend to be the 25-year-old person again, but I can be more proactive.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
purple mattress. sleep is key.
adding the oura ring and reviewing the data to get better sleep has powered me to do lots of other important things.
lot of cool biohacking you can do to help your main 'machine' run better.

deezcuts20

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jan 13, 2022
My morning meditation,

Never knew back then that there could be a way to raise awareness to such an extent,

Now, 20min of meditation in the morning and get so much productive for the day.

Really wish i knew this sooner !
Any specific kind of meditation? Do you do the same one every morning or depending on circumstances

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
Personal Development - from 17 to 27 I never read or listened to any podcasts or books or took any courses to improve myself. From 27 to now I have not stopped and my life has improved drastically.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Joining swim team. I was 15, I was always kind of naturally athletic but struggled with coordination, and was frustrated with sports. I could train hard but I sucked at throwing and catching and hated letting my teammates down when I just needed to grind it out to improve.

Joining swim team at 15 changed my life. I became an athlete. I went from chubby couch potato to varsity region qualifier in just 2 seasons, almost broke a school record (my brother broke it later, he started at 11) and really gained my fitness and confidence.

It honestly changed the trajectory of my life, my confidence, and my health. I know this isn’t a business answer but this was a huge deal for me back in high school and I wouldn’t be who I am today if I never decided to swim competitively

(Region doesn’t sound impressive as state but we were in one of the biggest 6A in Texas - state was for D1 athletes. I didn’t get quite that good in 2 seasons lol)

Last edited by a moderator:

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
My morning meditation,

Never knew back then that there could be a way to raise awareness to such an extent,

Now, 20min of meditation in the morning and get so much productive for the day.

Really wish i knew this sooner !
Yes, I joined a class during the pandemic and what a breath of fresh air. My Somatic Meditation class every Sunday and 3 times a week if I like etc. zoom was helpful. Naturally in person is so much better!

Tammyanne

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jun 18, 2017
San Diego, CA
  1. Accepting who I am and letting go of people who are not okay with my weirdness uniqueness.
  2. Learning to say No, specially to time thieves.
  3. Stopping listening to the naysayers who wanted me to live to their standards instead of unlocking my potential.
  4. Reading TMF - It has caused a lot discomfort, but it confirmed that something didn't feel quite right. I used to love my profession and being paid for doing what I loved, but being an employee sucked big time, which bosses and coworkers kindly reminded me regularly.
  5. Stopping spending so much time learning about programming once I reached a certain point, it was a time sink for marginal benefit. Building products instead got more rewarding.
  6. Resuming spending more time on music, which I've been neglecting for years.
  7. Understanding that meaningful work that offers the right challenge and makes you grow is important for happiness.
  8. Understanding that I should be happy before you reach your goals, as the journey itself is the goal.
  9. Finding alignment between work, lifestyle, and goals - This drove me nuts for years, but I think I finally got the right direction.
  10. Travelling abroad - It took me almost 28 years to get out of my home country. I missed out so much, but I've been catching up in the following years.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Joining swim team. I was 15, I was always kind of naturally athletic but struggled with coordination, and was frustrated with sports. I could train hard but I sucked at throwing and catching and hated letting my teammates down when I just needed to grind it out to improve.

Joining swim team at 15 changed my life. I became an athlete. I went from chubby couch potato to varsity region qualifier in just 2 seasons, almost broke a school record (my brother broke it later, he started at 11) and really gained my fitness and confidence.

It honestly changed the trajectory of my life, my confidence, and my health. I know this isn’t a business answer but this was a huge deal for me back in high school and I wouldn’t be who I am today if I never decided to swim competitively

(Region doesn’t sound impressive as state but we were in one of the biggest in Texas - state was for D1 athletes. I didn’t get quite that good in 2 seasons lol)

It doesn't have to be a business answer and actually yours is way more interesting than a business one would be. Thank you for sharing that. Athleticism can teach you work ethic and build your self-confidence. It can definitely be life-changing.

Issi007

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Apr 27, 2022
Any specific kind of meditation? Do you do the same one every morning or depending on circumstances
Breathing meditation,

I simply try to focus on my breathing, takes few minutes usually to catch the focus and deeply dive into the breathing for about 15mn.
Same thing over and over again and build it as a habit (long term, that's where the real effect is felt in my opinion).

Yogi_Fastlane

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
May 3, 2022
Not understanding the importance of Time, I've had Goals (read objectives) in life, achieved them too but I realised I've been running away from my Life goals (they used to change every few years), in fact I was not sure about my Purpose.

Only to realize, it's not realistic to have a sole purpose of your life, in fact people change with time, the 20 year old me sounds very different from the person I'm today, going back, although I don't regret anything I realize I was aware but let things, relationships distract me, I was not agressive enough, was not disciplined with those goals, gave up easily and in the face of adversity, I let others dictate my future for sometime, I let myself get stressed and pressurized, I had stupid goals too, where in luck played a key role.

When I had another exigency in my family which could've crushed me and onto the path of sidewalk, I took a decision and let others know, mentally I drew a plan, this is what I want, this is how it's gonna be, it's a long path but that's how it's gonna be, I started exploring options, and ways to earn and acquire funds and resurrect my life slowly, I got disillusioned in the objectives but the goals have remained the same since that FTE.

I got into spirituality as well along the way and learnt how awareness-concentration-willpower is key to get the best out of the day, I learnt the value of time and energy regulation is important, how short of time we get to realise those goals.
although I don't regret and take full responsibility of my failures, if at all I had that FTE and the subsequent transformation in the couple of years of reading books, such as TMF , if all this had happened 10 years ago, I would've probably been ahead in my long term goals by atleast 5 years by this age.

JackMakesMovies

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 2, 2022

Saw this question on Reddit and thought it was a pretty thought-provoking question that may lead to some interesting answers.

A video popped up on my YouTube feed when I was 12 years old telling me I'd make a heap of money selling online courses. So grade 6 me spent the next 6 months writing a 40,000 word script and producing 8 hours of polished content. I released it on my 13th birthday, expecting a tsunami of customers. Not a single one.
Its a good thing I didn't get upset or throw in the towel at this point, I just started another business, and another and another, and recently I've been experiencing moderate success at 16 years old! God bless the yt algo and that chinese guy trying sell me a get rich quick scheme!

JackMakesMovies

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 2, 2022

Mewing
Look it up and give it a go, it won't work very well if you are over 25 but you're blessed if you discover the practice while you are young!

khadush

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
May 29, 2021
India
Have you felt overwhelmed and stressed out due to lots of things to do?

You don't know where to start and what you should do.

It occurs due to only one thing "wrong planning and setting wrong goals" for your personal & professional things.

We live in a world where we have to achieve lots of things in less amount, which causes us to burn out, demotivation, stress and depression, especially when we don't have the right plan for everything.

Thus, I decided to take a course on goal setting and planning. I am happy that I invested in the course, and my life feels less stressful.

Thank you for asking a great question.

Rangermac2

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Jun 1, 2020
Tennessee
A little change of words in your title works for me.

"What made your life so much better and happy that you wish you could do it again?"

Action, movement, creativity, challenge, add value, greater involvement with the community/society, ....,
All these things defined my life early, and I always found joy and gratitude with all the acts, people and things that were in my journey.

As the years went by, I stagnated, especially living in a rural area. I can't pretend to be the 25-year-old person again, but I can be more proactive.
I was reading through Unscripted and am at the part of purpose and value. It really shows also that by when you start loving what you do and find dignity in your work that you improve drastically. That doesn't mean the typical 9-5 Scripted life is fulfilling but I mean finding the things that give your life purpose or creating things that are valued by others. It turns your life from being boring to being about selflessness while creating prosperity. When you mentioned the "add value" part that recalled that for me

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Here's that thread... pretty lengthy...

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/vhki66 View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/vhki66/what_improved_your_life_so_much_you_wished_you/

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Big one: I went vegan in my late 40s. Every chronic ailment that I dealt with in my 40s (and spent $1000s of dollars on trying to diagnose/fix) disappeared in my 50s. Even had a scar on my face for 48 years which suddenly disappeared. Nothing dramatically changed at 48, other than dropping my Paleo, heavy protein low-carb diet to mostly plant-based, raw food and/or unprocessed food. On top of that, going plant-based has given me a great respect for all forms of sentient life which I felt I always had, but didn't live through my actions. I'd never murder a chicken, or pay someone to directly do so, but I'd have no problem eating one (and hence, indirectly paying someone for the slaughter). Going plant-based resolved this "I love animals" incongruity, a big source of cognitive dissonance in my life.

Buy a Water-Pik flosser for your mouth and combine with daily brushing. It will save you longer cleanings and big dental expenses. Nothing worse than laying in a dental chair for 2 hours with a rubber dam strapped to your mouth.

Big one: I stopped my daily visits on social media, and it improved my life.

And I stopped watching any network news, or news put out by big-tech/big-media platforms.

I stopped paying attention to politics, whereas before, I paid attention in an effort to make my "vote" count. Voting is worthless as the morons far outweigh and outbreed any intelligent opposition. I'll never vote again for the rest of my life as the last election showed me everything I need to know about that clown show, legit or not. Voting shows I consent for one of the two political parties, which I do not. They're both corrupt organizations who maniupulate the masses for their own gain.

Big one: Stop worrying about what other people think, quite possibly the hardest thing to do for me outside of going plant-based. This is a big one for young people -- the less "F*cks" you give about what random strangers think (not customers) the more success and happiness you will have.

Big one: I stop participating in organized religion which, like politics, is mostly about control, money, and manipulation, and instead, I started focusing on spiritual growth and enlightenment. When I noticed most churches (including my large Christian Church) were more opulently appointed than my own home (imported stone, marble, granite, shimmering chandeliers) the light bulb went off. No, this doesn't mean I'm an atheist, it means I have more faith in the higher power than I do humans entrusted with bringing truth to bear about a higher-power.

Bottomline, I'm all-in on living my life right now, while not giving any fuel to "what may happen," "who said what," or "who might do what" a few months from now.

In a funny case of irony, I stopped going to Reddit and it improved my life. Although this thread posted above has some great gems worth a read.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

There's the thread you linked and there's also an older one with the same question and many more good answers as well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/pbzt5b View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/pbzt5b/what_improved_your_quality_of_life_so_much_you/

Big one: Stop worrying about what other people think, quite possibly the hardest thing to do for me outside of going plant-based. This is a big one for young people -- the less "F*cks" you give about what random strangers think (not customers) the more success and happiness you will have.

That's a good one that I could have included in my response as well. Looking back it's incredible how much I cared before and how little I care now.

In a funny case of irony, I stopped going to Reddit and it improved my life. Although this thread posted above has some great gems worth a read.

A lot of Reddit is shit but there are some subreddits and also some posts that incredible.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri

A lot of Reddit is shit but there are some subreddits and also some posts that incredible.

Stopped going to reddit for the past 2 months and have been much happier and productive.

I liked some subreddits but they would always degenerate is someway to referencing "the current thing". Some people on reddit just can't help themselves and virtue signal at every turn they can.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Stopped going to reddit for the past 2 months and have been much happier and productive.

I liked some subreddits but they would always degenerate is someway to referencing "the current thing". Some people on reddit just can't help themselves and virtue signal at every turn they can.

Yeah I don't participate in any subreddits other than r/davidgoggins but Reddit shows me some current popular sitewide posts whenever I visit and sometimes there's something interesting. I don't really pay any attention to crybabies, politics, and stuff like that.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Yeah I don't participate in any subreddits other than r/davidgoggins

I haven't be on r/davidgoggins, but I don't like the subreddits of authors / inspirational people because people on reddit usually pervert their message.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
636%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't think that anyone would disagree with that. Everyone makes decisions to the best of their abilities. This question is more like your current self reaching back to your past self than regretting bad decisions because you didn't make them to the best of your abilities at the time.
I feel like if I was to do that I'd change some trajectory then in my past life -- that led me to my position today.

Sure I can tell my old self to focus and learn 'investing' earlier (my god how far more along I'd 'possibly' be today!?) - but that would have robbed me of focusing fully on my business, thinking about it, and working to build it up. Or costed me time with friends. Or my gf at the time.

So yeah - there are always things that I could have advised to my 20 year old self (invest in XYZ, learn ABC, workout harder, eat less pizza, etc), but I don't think that would of been a GREAT substitute for what I was already doing and working on.

So it's very tough for me to think back of what advice I'd give myself. But advice, mindset, philosophy and plan of action to any other 20 year old on business, life, investing, reading etc? SURE - all day long!!!

Last edited:

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Big one: I went vegan in my late 40s. Every chronic ailment that I dealt with in my 40s (and spent $1000s of dollars on trying to diagnose/fix) disappeared in my 50s. Even had a scar on my face for 48 years which suddenly disappeared. Nothing dramatically changed at 48, other than dropping my Paleo, heavy protein low-carb diet to mostly plant-based, raw food and/or unprocessed food. On top of that, going plant-based has given me a great respect for all forms of sentient life which I felt I always had, but didn't live through my actions. I'd never murder a chicken, or pay someone to directly do so, but I'd have no problem eating one (and hence, indirectly paying someone for the slaughter). Going plant-based resolved this "I love animals" incongruity, a big source of cognitive dissonance in my life.

Was the catalyst for this change one arrived at through morality alone or was there also a medical benefit that made the decision easier?

I don't want to get too personal if you're not looking to go there. My body is encouraging a dietary change right now and I'm just curious as to how other arrived on their current changes.

Side questions - How did it affect your energy levels? Was it difficult to maintain a balanced diet?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.