The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BAD advice you wish you did NOT hear

Anything related to matters of the mind

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
I saw some threads here about good advice, books, habits etc. that people wish they read / heard about earlier.

I am actually curious about the opposite. What BAD advice, BAD books, BAD habits etc. did you wish you never read / heard about ?

I think that achieving what you want is more times than not about NOT doing a specific thing than doing a specific thing.
I'll go first with an easy one
"Listen and follow your feelings when they spark up"
Absolutely useless advice that made me waste so much time beating myself up for feeling discomfort when things got hard.
I kept thinking that there was going to be a magical point where things will feel "natural" and "comfortable" and if I was not there that just meant that I needed to explore and meditate on my feelings even more (action faking by all accounts).
For example I was a very anxious person. I had anxiety spikes every time I went into a place with unknown people (yes, things literally as small as a shop). I used to think that I need to examine my anxiety and just be gentle with myself. Just tell myself that nothing was going to happen until the feeling disappeared.
That feeling never disappeared.
And when I got sick of this cycle I told myself that DESPITE me feeling anxious I will STILL follow through with the action that I meant to do.
And you know what? I still had anxiety. But little by little as I kept going it wound down.
Ultimately I've learned that having a bad feeling in fact is a good indication that I was doing something that would take me in the right direction.

What others do you have? And what books or habits do you wish you did not hear about?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Can you elaborate why it is a bad advice for you?

Because action beats mindset. Mindset might be holding you back, but you don't need perfect mindset to get going.

You need to get going to get going.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
“Action follows motivation.”

It’s the other way around.
“Motivation follows action.”

Waisted a lot of hours watching motivation video’s as a youngster. It was more like a shot of drug before doing anything.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
That in of itself is a mindset.
What you're saying is a mindset tho lol

Is there an echo? Lol.

Hey new guys, welcome to the forum.

If I believed in karma, I imagine this would be an example. Semantics is so boring, don't you think?

The word mindset clearly is so overused you guys have forgotten what it actually means.

I stated a fact. Saying the sky is blue is not a mindset.

You both could argue I stated an opinion.

Still, a single opinion is not the same thing as a mindset. Feel free to waste some more time looking it up.

Most importantly, you guys missed the whole point. Which is a shame.

I only responded because others might think you're right, and that would take away from the fact that action supercedes mindset...

Can you accomplish something without a mindset? Yes.

Can you accomplish something without action? No.

Therefore "Mindset is everything" is demonstrably untrue and bad advice. I don't want to waste more time discussing something so self evident.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
From family: "Start the business when you're more stable in life. Establish your career, have a family, buy a house, finance 2 cars, etc...THEN you'll be in a great position to start!"
Huge commitment and less risk taking ability

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
I saw some threads here about good advice, books, habits etc. that people wish they read / heard about earlier.

I am actually curious about the opposite. What BAD advice, BAD books, BAD habits etc. did you wish you never read / heard about ?

I think that achieving what you want is more times than not about NOT doing a specific thing than doing a specific thing.
Absolutely useless advice that made me waste so much time beating myself up for feeling discomfort when things got hard.
I kept thinking that there was going to be a magical point where things will feel "natural" and "comfortable" and if I was not there that just meant that I needed to explore and meditate on my feelings even more (action faking by all accounts).
For example I was a very anxious person. I had anxiety spikes every time I went into a place with unknown people (yes, things literally as small as a shop). I used to think that I need to examine my anxiety and just be gentle with myself. Just tell myself that nothing was going to happen until the feeling disappeared.
And when I got sick of this cycle I told myself that DESPITE me feeling anxious I will STILL follow through with the action that I meant to do.
And you know what? I still had anxiety. But little by little as I kept going it wound down.
Ultimately I've learned that having a bad feeling in fact is a good indication that I was doing something that would take me in the right direction.

What others do you have? And what books or habits do you wish you did not hear about?
Most dangerous advice are not nonsense but half-truth.

You won’t get rich picking stocks emulating Warren buffet. Not stopping many people starting out with 5k in bank account, wasting time learning about value-investing.

The key thing is to be open minded so that whatever existing beliefs that are no longer true or relevant you can get rid of them quickly or at least modify your understanding with some updates.

Pick the right spouse or it will ruin you is another half-truth pseudo-wisdom. It isn’t wrong. It is just a useless remark being spoken to most people who will not benefit from it. Most people havn’t built themselves to be valuable or attractive to have enough options to make it relevant.

Going financially all in on a venture or following the hype to drop out of school is also something that you need a second thought. We have too many people coming here with a post on “what should I do if I need cash in 2 weeks...”.

Working 4hours a week is a scam. Working 16 hours per day without immune system break down is an “art”, if you are willing to take “supplement” and have nannies to care of your house chore and private jet to fly you around like Elon Musk. The truth for you imo is always somewhere in between. People like to fall in love with an ideology and stick to it nonetheless

Last edited:

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
Can you elaborate why it is a bad advice for you?
After I had my FTE if there is one thing I learned that it is not who you are, it is what you do.

JJHemingway

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 29, 2023
Is there an echo? Lol.

Hey new guys, welcome to the forum.

If I believed in karma, I imagine this would be an example. Semantics is so boring, don't you think?

The word mindset clearly is so overused you guys have forgotten what it actually means.

I stated a fact. Saying the sky is blue is not a mindset.

You both could argue I stated an opinion.

Still, a single opinion is not the same thing as a mindset. Feel free to waste some more time looking it up.

Most importantly, you guys missed the whole point. Which is a shame.

I only responded because others might think you're right, and that would take away from the fact that action supercedes mindset...

Can you accomplish something without a mindset? Yes.

Can you accomplish something without action? No.

Therefore "Mindset is everything" is demonstrably untrue and bad advice. I don't want to waste more time discussing something so self evident.
A mindset is how you chose to organize and disseminate information daily.

You state if you can accomplish something “without a mindset”. That makes zero sense. Everyone has a mindset, even the fly the keeps banging into the window thinking something will change.

My point is, mindset is everything because its what causes MEANINGFUL action. Being able to step back and asses your actions and adjust them requires the proper mindset.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Follow your passion...
Do what you love...
Money doesn't buy happiness...
If you want to get rich, [Enter any mainstream financial advice here]...

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Morning routines, super early wake up times are how you are successful in business.

Maybe I'll see the benefit of following that advice in years to come but as a 25 y/o my life is way more fun and I'm making more money than ever before staying up late working or socializing/traveling.

My "morning routine" is jump on my phone and start working when I wake.

theazizmoh_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Apr 29, 2022

Do what you love or follow your passion.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is why most young people today are absolutely lost -- the media isn't interested in your success, they just want your clicks.

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 10.39.00 AM.png

And then not less than an inch further down the page...

Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 10.39.07 AM.png

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
This is why most young people today are absolutely lost -- the media isn't interested in your success, they just want your clicks.

View attachment 50271

And then not less than an inch further down the page...

View attachment 50272

I think for a lot of people developing the discipline of a sleep schedule can be a good thing. If they are messy in all areas of life then bringing structure to this one part helps reduce other problems. It's the first example to a lot of people of regaining power over their own lives instead of going where the current takes them.

It's also a super easy way to feel fulfilled about your day without actually achieving anything major but yes this could help mentally.

The reason it's caught on in such a big way in the media in recent years though is that its an incredibly easy to sell for fake gurus to the general public. The Instagram effect. You can post your morning coffee at 5am and brag that you are better than everyone else.

GoldenGlow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 23, 2023
"It's okay to quit and try something else. You just haven't found your purpose yet."
- Successful Fastlaner CEO masquerading as a spiritual coach for down bad people

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA

Mainstream stuff is 100% worthless and useless.

It serves BOTH ZERO Deontological and Teleological value. Which is pretty much the definition of trash. :rofl:

Nobody is improving their economic teleology reading articles on MarketWatch. Impossible.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I quote from my old friend from my old friend group after I told them about my business:

“Look man, we all know your starting your own business, working out and quit video games but you know we miss you.

Its okay to cut slack and do bad habits with us man.”

Right after he called me a b***h and told me to f**k off.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Its okay to cut slack and do bad habits with us man.”

This is a big tell as to who will be a success. I always felt guilt and shame doing an activity like playing video games, watching TV, sleeping in til noon or hanging out. I haven't watched TV in YEARS.

I'm like WTF am I doing?

Even today I can't go to the movies and waste 2 hours. The only times I go is because of a date. Even then I completely zone out because I'm obsessed thinking about other matters like business or other problems.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
This is a big tell as to who will be a success. I always felt guilt and shame doing an activity like playing video games, watching TV, sleeping in til noon or hanging out. I haven't watched TV in YEARS.

I'm like WTF am I doing?

Even today I can't go to the movies and waste 2 hours. The only times I go is because of a date. Even then I completely zone out because I'm obsessed thinking about other matters like business or other problems.
I get you. Sure here and there I’ll have fun. Sometimes I check in and watch a movie with my sister, watch her show for a little, Im still young.

Im not going to spend my childhood working. You never get that stuff back, Im still working on business and everything but in my free time you know?

Im going to go to a bills game once the season starts.

Stan_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Apr 25, 2022
Working 4hours a week is a scam. Working 16 hours per day without immune system break down is an “art”, if you are willing to take “supplement” and have nannies to care of your house chore and private jet to fly you around like Elon Musk. The truth for you imo is always somewhere in between. People like to fall in love with an ideology and stick to it nonetheless
The whole 4 hours per week / deep work advice has started to pop off in my radar lately also.
I honestly did believe it. I'm not really sure about it anymore

I'm curious of what other people here think of this

door123

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Apr 4, 2020
West Coast
don't even try starting a business as all good ideas are already taken

It's best to get a good college education which will result in a high paying job.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
The whole 4 hours per week / deep work advice has started to pop off in my radar lately also.
I honestly did believe it. I'm not really sure about it anymore

I'm curious of what other people here think of this
The gurus who sell four hours per week lifestyle works 12 hours a day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.