The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

BAD advice you wish you did NOT hear

Anything related to matters of the mind

c4n

Full throttle
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
May 30, 2017
Don't buy stocks; a recession is long overdue and coming.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Ok, Some context about me: I am currently working as a founding engineer for an amazingly-going funded startup (I was there since the beginning) and I love the team and highly believe in the idea.

Though I work in AI and get some ideas non-related to AI frequently but when I try to see that there are tens of companies funded with 10s of millions of dollars it just breaks my heart. No way, I alone, as a college freshman, will be able to beat such well-funded companies who spent 3-4 months in serious development.

Is there any advice you'd have regarding good ideas? ALMOST everything I find, whether related to my field or not just get's picked up by some big companies soon enough.
Im going to be honest with you this isn’t your thread.

Did you even read the title about what this is about?

Its about bad advice you wish you never heard; not advice on how to find a idea.

If you need help finding an idea, go onto online groups and wait for words like “I hate, This is annoying, I wish,” etc.

If you need help stopping action faking, start a progress thread.

Once again with a quick search Im pretty sure you can find a thread just for problems like this.

If there isn’t one just start one, don’t post it into a random thread that says “advice” in the title.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
I saw some threads here about good advice, books, habits etc. that people wish they read / heard about earlier.

I am actually curious about the opposite. What BAD advice, BAD books, BAD habits etc. did you wish you never read / heard about ?

I think that achieving what you want is more times than not about NOT doing a specific thing than doing a specific thing.
I'll go first with an easy one
"Listen and follow your feelings when they spark up"
Absolutely useless advice that made me waste so much time beating myself up for feeling discomfort when things got hard.
I kept thinking that there was going to be a magical point where things will feel "natural" and "comfortable" and if I was not there that just meant that I needed to explore and meditate on my feelings even more (action faking by all accounts).
For example I was a very anxious person. I had anxiety spikes every time I went into a place with unknown people (yes, things literally as small as a shop). I used to think that I need to examine my anxiety and just be gentle with myself. Just tell myself that nothing was going to happen until the feeling disappeared.
That feeling never disappeared.
And when I got sick of this cycle I told myself that DESPITE me feeling anxious I will STILL follow through with the action that I meant to do.
And you know what? I still had anxiety. But little by little as I kept going it wound down.
Ultimately I've learned that having a bad feeling in fact is a good indication that I was doing something that would take me in the right direction.

What others do you have? And what books or habits do you wish you did not hear about?
"You're young, it's your time to chill, party, mess around with girls, do the stupid shit"
given to me by a senior college student

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
OH AND ANOTHER PIECE OF ADVICE THAT HAS BECOME VERY MAINSTRAM
"you need to start by making passive income"
little kids who dont have a penny in the bank will start looking for "ways to make money in their sleep" when they dont even make money in their waking hours
I saw some threads here about good advice, books, habits etc. that people wish they read / heard about earlier.

I am actually curious about the opposite. What BAD advice, BAD books, BAD habits etc. did you wish you never read / heard about ?

I think that achieving what you want is more times than not about NOT doing a specific thing than doing a specific thing.
Absolutely useless advice that made me waste so much time beating myself up for feeling discomfort when things got hard.
I kept thinking that there was going to be a magical point where things will feel "natural" and "comfortable" and if I was not there that just meant that I needed to explore and meditate on my feelings even more (action faking by all accounts).
For example I was a very anxious person. I had anxiety spikes every time I went into a place with unknown people (yes, things literally as small as a shop). I used to think that I need to examine my anxiety and just be gentle with myself. Just tell myself that nothing was going to happen until the feeling disappeared.
And when I got sick of this cycle I told myself that DESPITE me feeling anxious I will STILL follow through with the action that I meant to do.
And you know what? I still had anxiety. But little by little as I kept going it wound down.
Ultimately I've learned that having a bad feeling in fact is a good indication that I was doing something that would take me in the right direction.

What others do you have? And what books or habits do you wish you did not hear about?

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
OH AND ANOTHER PIECE OF ADVICE THAT HAS BECOME VERY MAINSTRAM
"you need to start by making passive income"
little kids who dont have a penny in the bank will start looking for "ways to make money in their sleep" when they dont even make money in their waking hours
not saying passive income bad btw. im just saying it makes a lot of people lazy, giving up oppurtunities because "they have to put in the work and wont be able to make money in their sleep"

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
"You're young, it's your time to chill, party, mess around with girls, do the stupid shit"
given to me by a senior college student
That’s wrong and right IMO.

You shouldn’t do stupid stuff like drugs or having sex with random girls unsafely, but at the same time, you shouldn’t be spending your childhood/ adolescence working and doing absolutely nothing. You don’t get that time back.

That doesn’t mean screw your life over, but at the same time don’t be working 24/7, you’ll burn out, waste your adolescent, ruin mental health and physical health.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022

You shouldn’t do stupid stuff like drugs or having sex with random girls unsafely, but at the same time, you shouldn’t be spending your childhood/ adolescence working and doing absolutely nothing. You don’t get that time back.

That doesn’t mean screw your life over, but at the same time don’t be working 24/7, you’ll burn out, waste your adolescent, ruin mental health and physical health.
in the context, it WAS about messing up your life

P789

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Sep 23, 2020
Legazpi, Philippines
“Follow the Advice of Successful People.”

This quote at first during my early days at High School is good but after several years, I realized it is BS because it screams Survivorship Bias. Each time Successful People spews advice, Hundreds or Thousands of People fail following the same advice.

Applies in businesses, investments, athletes, celebrities and even average people.

Last edited:
D

Deleted115974

"Listen to everyone's advice. Everyone got something to say." -- Don't listen to people you don't wanna be.

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
dont listen to people you dont wanna be like IN THE FIELD OF THE ADVICE
i might not wanna be like someone but maybe their marketing advice is good, so i wanna listen to their marketing advice because i wanna be a marketer like them but not a person like them
"Listen to everyone's advice. Everyone got something to say." -- Don't listen to people you don't wanna be.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

A man’s youth alone is worthless and nothing to cash out.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
“Follow the Advice of Successful People.”

This quote at first during my early days at High School is good but after several years, I realized it is BS because it screams Survivorship Bias. Each time a Successful People spews advice, Hundreds or Thousands of People fail following the same advice.

Applies in businesses, investments, athletes, celebrities and even average people.
It is interesting because successful people didn‘t follow routes of successful people. They followed their own advice.

I think you can’t replicate their success mimicking their behavior and thought patterns. Most people choose a behavior pattern that make sense to their own values, thought process, risk appetite and opportunities present to their life at the point in time.

As long as you are driven and committing to action, whatever that made sense to you, is probably right for you.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Not advice as such but any guru or anyone trying to make things look easy or fast

You look at that and think you must be doing something wrong, he must have a secret

Truth is it’s hard and takes time to build something worthwhile, there is no shortcuts

Also anyone teaching people how to copy “winning” products or businesses

Not only is it scummy, it’s just another shortcut to make things seem easy

Truth is by the time a “winning” product is on one of these sites, way too late, everyone else chasing that shortcut is going to see it too, so not only is it scummy, I really don’t think it even works

Oh and anyone teaching Facebook ad secret strategies and account structures etc lol, it’s not 2015, the ad platform is mature, and every strategy is available for free, nor do they all work for every business, you actually just need to try shit and see what works for you

Better to focus on your product, store and ad creative, in that order

Last edited:

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

"focus on one thing, one business. That's what billionaires do."

Next thing you know is, you're stuck for years dumping money and time on your first business and ignoring all other opporunities. I regret ever listening to it.

Now I understand the intend, but it's so easy to confuse its context. The right thing to do instead (for me at least) is to try as much as possible and double down on what works once it does. I simply didn't experiment or test things enough before committing to something

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
The whole 4 hours per week / deep work advice has started to pop off in my radar lately also.
I honestly did believe it. I'm not really sure about it anymore

I'm curious of what other people here think of this
4h of actual hard deep work + unlimited hours (or whatever the number is) of mechanic busy work

is how I make sense of it

MRiabov

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
May 30, 2023
The whole 4 hours per week / deep work advice has started to pop off in my radar lately also.
I honestly did believe it. I'm not really sure about it anymore

I'm curious of what other people here think of this
Oh, I you come to a point that you realize that everything that Hamza says about business is BS to be honest...

Also the 10k/month being the golden number (although it's good), outsourcing your whole life, etc.

Hamza always omits producerism and being selfless in his preachings, and that's probably the most important thing. He preaches selfish advice, and then does selfish business.

As someone on this forum said "if you want to get to 4hww, you need to put 60hww right now". And honestly, after you are actually interested in helping people, time spent doesn't really matter... If you are not wasting it, that is.

lunga ngcobo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 29, 2019

The millionaire fastlane as i remember reading it years ago, right at the beging tells us not to aim for starting new things but "stop" what got us into the side walk. Even though I knew the truth, it took me years to understand what this means. For example... In your case Mr Stan. Naturally you hate crowded places. Yet you spent countless hours trying to get along with people. Its time for you to stop!

By the way i see it, you are trying too hard to do something thats going to get you nowhere. Going directly into your problem wont solve it. But i bet if suddenly you arrived to a crowded mall in an exotic car, your confident would be so up, you would never feel shy. Just get the money bro and all elsle will follow.

I can tell you from experence... getting people to listen to you with your pockets turned out is as difficult as a bitch!!!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
"focus on one thing, one business. That's what billionaires do."

Next thing you know is, you're stuck for years dumping money and time on your first business and ignoring all other opporunities. I regret ever listening to it.

Now I understand the intend, but it's so easy to confuse its context. The right thing to do instead (for me at least) is to try as much as possible and double down on what works once it does. I simply didn't experiment or test things enough before committing to something

You sound like you have misinterpreted the advice and just didn't know when to quit and move on. Sounds like you continued to beat a dead horse, and expected it to wake up.

Pro athletes become pros by focusing on one sport, that's why there's very few dual sport pros (pro EU Football players, and NO pro baseball players) -- you can't become great at two things when you have split attentions.

Billionaires become billionaires by focusing on one big venture, they only have 20 ventures after they become billionaires. A great example is Matt Ishbia who just recently purchased the Phoenix Suns for over a billion dollars. How? He focused on his one business; mortgages. And now he can leverage himself in 20 different ventures, hire at will, and spread out into his wildest dreams. Every billionaire exemplifies this pattern ... one huge business >== huge wealth >== diversification into many businesses, many passion oriented.

The right thing to do instead (for me at least) is to try as much as possible and double down on what works once it does.

Yes, and that's when you narrow your focus and pound the pavement -- and go from thousandaire, to millionaire, to billionaire.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
You sound like you have misinterpreted the advice and just didn't know when to quit and move on. Sounds like you continued to beat a dead horse, and expected it to wake up.

Pro athletes become pros by focusing on one sport, that's why there's very few dual sport pros (pro EU Football players, and NO pro baseball players) -- you can't become great at two things when you have split attentions.

Billionaires become billionaires by focusing on one big venture, they only have 20 ventures after they become billionaires. A great example is Matt Ishbia who just recently purchased the Phoenix Suns for over a billion dollars. How? He focused on his one business; mortgages. And now he can leverage himself in 20 different ventures, hire at will, and spread out into his wildest dreams. Every billionaire exemplifies this pattern ... one huge business >== huge wealth >== diversification into many businesses, many passion oriented.

Yes, and that's when you narrow your focus and pound the pavement -- and go from thousandaire, to millionaire, to billionaire.

Andrew Carnegie, Warren Buffet, Richard Branson, Donald Trump, they are generally known for one company or industry but they all had several simultaneous businesses.

Jack Dorsey cofounded square before twitter made him a billionaire. Steve Jobs wasn't a billionaire when he co-founded Pixar. Sam Walton was a franchisee before starting his first Walmart and kept his franchises for 13 years. Pinault started in timber. Carlos Slim definitely wasn't business monogamous. He was investing in multiple ventures from his teen years. Although Rockefeller stayed in the same industry he had a couple of companies and became rich before standard oil was even founded.

Billionaires become billionaires by focusing on one big venture, they only have 20 ventures after they become billionaires.

I don't know why the myth of business monogamy is so prevalent on the forum when Wikipedia so easily disproves this statement. I Googled like 12 names only 3 fit this description. Gates. Bezos. Musk (though not technically a billionaire, but he did have 2 9 figure exits before he founded Space X, bought into Tesla, etc...)

9 out of twelves names did not fit this description.

Many of these guys had an early "big pool of cash", but a little reading shows that number was as little as $400k to a few million before they started branching into multiple business.

If you're saying business monogamy is an easier path to billions, you won't hear a peep from me. But EVERY billionaire? History disagrees.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

thanks for clarifying

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Andrew Carnegie, Warren Buffet, Richard Branson, Donald Trump, they are generally known for one company or industry but they all had several simultaneous businesses.

Jack Dorsey cofounded square before twitter made him a billionaire. Steve Jobs wasn't a billionaire when he co-founded Pixar. Sam Walton was a franchisee before starting his first Walmart and kept his franchises for 13 years. Pinault started in timber. Carlos Slim definitely wasn't business monogamous. He was investing in multiple ventures from his teen years. Although Rockefeller stayed in the same industry he had a couple of companies and became rich before standard oil was even founded.

I don't know why the myth of business monogamy is so prevalent on the forum when Wikipedia so easily disproves this statement. I Googled like 12 names only 3 fit this description. Gates. Bezos. Musk (though not technically a billionaire, but he did have 2 9 figure exits before he founded Space X, bought into Tesla, etc...)

9 out of twelves names did not fit this description.

Many of these guys had an early "big pool of cash", but a little reading shows that number was as little as $400k to a few million before they started branching into multiple business.

If you're saying business monogamy is an easier path to billions, you won't hear a peep from me. But EVERY billionaire? History disagrees.
I know people who started off several projects to see which had the best feedback and then picked to focus on one eventually.

It would be rare and counter-intuitive to imagine their first major success that frog-leaped their wealth didn't require several years of single-minded focus.

I read that Airbnb founders took a break to sell food as a hustle to raise cash because they weren't making money in Airbnb at the start before their explosive growth. If you count that as well then technically they are running multiple businesses too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.