The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you drive?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Some people can learn by reading books, or by listening to podcasts... heck, they can even learn by watching other people make mistakes.

Me? Nah. I gotta suffer. I have to really know that I've f*cked up, and feel the immense weight of my piss poor decisions sitting on me like Rosie O'Donnell after a trip to the all you can eat seafood buffet.

My car? Glad you asked. It's a pearl white 2013 Subaru STi - bought new, right off the lot with only 17 miles (after my 6 mile test drive).

The ultimate in hoonery.

Complete with an aggressive hood scoop and spoiler as large as the outdoors to let everyone know I will tear a$$ all over their city.

I bought this right out of grad school upon getting my job at Intel - because no major life event should pass without accumulating significant and anxiety inducing debt.

Oh you've got 55k in student loans? How's about another 45k for a car.

I even rolled the negative equity from my Kia Rio5 hatchback into it. Savvy.

3 and a half years of pain, shelling out $685.36 a month with a big honking $19,000 payment after selling my house, and it's all mine. A testament to either my ability to be swayed by my idiot sidewalking tendencies, or to learn from my mistakes and blossom into a better version of myself.

Only time will tell.

For now, I gotta go tear a$$ all over Tempe and let the students know that this 35 year old is awesome-as-F*ck.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
This was me in my 1980 Luke BP (backpack), Model S (Skywalker Edition). Had about 3 billion light years on it when I traded it in.

ImageKermitYoda080811-thumb-550x670-68165.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Did you buy it new (the Tacoma I mean)?

LOL, yes I did.

The buying experience what kinda funny.

Whenever I buy a car (whether it's new or used) I do my research first and then hit the dealer with a cashiers check made out to the dealer with the price I want to pay, out the door, taxes and everything.

In this case, I told the sales lady I wanted the blue Tacoma for $XX,XXX (I don't remember the exact amount it was) and here was the cashier check.

I told her this transaction will be her FASTEST ever and that I don't want to play car-buying games. I specifically warned her, "All I want to hear is a "YES" or a "NO". Anything else, including playing the walking-back-and-forth game with your sales manager means I will walk out."

She said OK and let me get you an answer.

She walked away and into a back room.

Ten minutes later she came back and said, "Would you agree to $XX,XXX?" (In other words, NO, we want more money)

I smiled, shook my head and said, "Sorry, I said I wasn't looking to play games."

I stood up and started walking toward showroom exit.

She chased me down and urged STOP! "Let me see what I else I can do."

I turned around and said "YES" or "NO" otherwise I walk.

Minutes later I got the YES and the price I WANTED to pay.

Cash talks, but it also walks. LOL.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
First off, she's not for sale so put your wallets up boys. I introduce to you, the Hotty Toddy:

20161118_111034.jpg

What front fender dent, man? Can't even see it now:

20161118_111041.jpg

Fastlane? You bet. Paint was probably screaming as it had to let go.

20161118_111052.jpg

Fastlane much? Oh yeah. That's 309,138.2 for those that don't have see through dirt-vision.

20161118_111112.jpg

Had to put this baby on a 1 payment plan. $1,700.00 And yes, that's american dollars.

Sorry for all this eye candy in one post but you asked...

Michael Burgess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Sep 30, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Just bought a second Ford F350 6.0L diesel for my company... they're great trucks! We need them to carry trailers with stone and other heavy materials - so they get used - but once you get used to driving a big truck, it's hard to go back to a car... I also had somebody total one of my F350's on a highway last year, and I walked away shaken but fine... the person who hit me went to the hospital. So that's a reassuring feeling too! haha

IMG_2994 2.jpeg

We're going to match the second truck to basically be the same as the first.... my Uncle taught me how to do body work and paint, so it's not a professional job, but for $300 in materials I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

IMG_2105 2.jpeg

IMG_2120 2.jpeg

We're going to get some vinyl on our trucks soon and we're looking at doing something like this... feedback welcome!

Truck Idea Side.jpeg

We also tune & monitor these trucks.... especially important for a diesel to know what's going on under the hood to prevent massive repair bills.

IMG_3162 2.jpeg
My winter ride last year... bought this car before I ever learned how to drive standard haha.

IMG_1173.jpg

Also bought a used motorbike this spring... unfortunately, that didn't work out so well :( turns out the frame was seriously bent!

IMG_1831 2.jpeg

I probably pay too much attention and money for vehicles, but I love them. haha

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
No Lambos, ferrari, fastlaners?
This thread should be a good lesson for you and others similarly minded.

Successful entrepreneurs don't always blow their cash on toys.

Most are quite frugal with their money and invest it wisely.

Compounding wealth has a fantastic side benefit - tranquillity.

Buying a $100-300k car is counter to wealth building for most.

At 10% annualized return that is $10-30k of wealth building.

Personally I'd rather spend my cash on experiences than cars.

Sent from my SM-G900FD using Tapatalk

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"What's your car?"

2006 Toyota Corrolla

"Are you happy with it?"

I love it. 208k kms. Bought for €3k cash two years ago. Probably worth €2k now.

I love it because it represents a smarter me, one who looks at nice cars every now and then, but resists the temptation to take out a loan because I know I don't "need" a new car.

I'd rather spend the monthly repayment on outsourcing tasks to free up time.

If I had the cash I'd spend it on the house or my parents' house.

My car symbolises a conscious choice to not get into debt for the wrong reasons.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
2006 Toyota Tacoma, 120,000 miles. Runs like a dream which is why I still have it and haven't thought about replacing it. Why would I replace something that costs me nothing and adds ZERO drama to my life?

I'd rather spend my cash on experiences than cars.

Driving a six-figure car is an experience itself -- and sometimes, not the good kind. Once the good experiences were overlapped by the bad experiences, I sold my Murci. I've been exotic-carless now for about 4 years and to be honest, I haven't missed it.

it's about priorities.

And I think this is why I have not missed it.

Almantas

Nothing to Lose
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
475%
Dec 21, 2015
Ireland
Resurrection time! I am driving a compact 2007 1.2 sxi Opel Corsa. It's a lovely little car for a guy who has just passed a driving test lol. Nothing special, but coming from a poor family background I am reasonably happy with it for now!
100_0471.jpg

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
4ka.jpg

VAZ 2104! You guys don't know LIFE! After owning and driving this car for half a year you would successfully pass the electrician, mechanic, and a firefighter exam.

It's been 2 months and I've experienced:
  • Wheels blowing up
  • Gears not shifting
  • Engine living it's own life
  • Exhaust pipe falling off
  • Doors not opening (sometimes won't close too)
  • Catching fire
It's still alive, and so am I, just grew some iron balls and patience...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
My car symbolises a conscious choice to not to get into debt for the wrong reasons.

Exactly. Unfortunately I learned to keep that to myself by putting foot in mouth.

Co-worker: Why do you drive such a shitbucket?

Me: You'd have to be a dumbass to put a couple hundred bucks a month into something that generates no income and depreciates by the second

When I realized my internal monologue spilled out like so much verbal diarrhea, I tried to recover, but there was no having it. Now when people ask I just pretend like I'm broke. People are weirdly less critical at the idea that I'm 30 and still broke than the idea that I might not waste my money. Strange.

I think the people that work for me in my 9-5 think I've got a gambling problem or a ton of debt or something. They're definitely aware that they drive nicer cars than I do.

Last edited:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
89c.jpg
Some of my old stuff. 10 second street Chevelle small block. Wanna Runum?

Currently drive 2007 Jetta, 2002 Hyundai Accent(34 mpg, even so - still junk), 2004 GMC HD2500

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Some people can learn by reading books, or by listening to podcasts... heck, they can even learn by watching other people make mistakes.

Me? Nah. I gotta suffer. I have to really know that I've f*cked up, and feel the immense weight of my piss poor decisions sitting on me like Rosie O'Donnell after a trip to the all you can eat seafood buffet.

My car? Glad you asked. It's a pearl white 2013 Subaru STi - bought new, right off the lot with only 17 miles (after my 6 mile test drive).

The ultimate in hoonery.

Complete with an aggressive hood scoop and spoiler as large as the outdoors to let everyone know I will tear a$$ all over their city.

I bought this right out of grad school upon getting my job at Intel - because no major life event should pass without accumulating significant and anxiety inducing debt.

Oh you've got 55k in student loans? How's about another 45k for a car.

I even rolled the negative equity from my Kia Rio5 hatchback into it. Savvy.

3 and a half years of pain, shelling out $685.36 a month with a big honking $19,000 payment after selling my house, and it's all mine. A testament to either my ability to be swayed by my idiot sidewalking tendencies, or to learn from my mistakes and blossom into a better version of myself.

Only time will tell.

For now, I gotta go tear a$$ all over Tempe and let the students know that this 35 year old is awesome-as-F*ck.
This is hilarious

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
20160406_181537.jpg

Just upgraded from a really old Kia. Nothing too fancy but a 2013 Audi A6 3.0 Suprercharged... I got it used with just 7k miles on it for less than half what the original guy paid new and that still included all oil changes, maintenance, service, loaners, etc till 100k miles ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Well, I drive a machine unlike any other. When you see me on the street, I roll up in a baby blue 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass. With an incredible towing capacity of 1,000 pounds and fuel efficiency clocking in at 25 miles per gallon, I have to practically beat the women back with a stick with all of the ladies that I get with this powerhouse of a car.

Attachments

• car.PNG
    car.PNG
    642.4 KB · Views: 14

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Just got this bad boy on Craigslist this week. It has a kid seat on the back now so I can take my toddler to playgrounds/library.

I really despise driving, and try to do as little of it as possible.

ad04d48e32f2f3bf60b9d77fa10339de.png

My wife has a 2009 Nissan Versa that she drives to work. Nice little car, price was right.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
This is my car, '05 Cadillac STS. Bought it in 2012 after I got back from Japan, paid it off two years later before I finished active duty.

My first and only car.

We just went through a great blizzard here this morning/afternoon, so here's a shot from the front porch. Photo was taken 2 minutes ago for this thread.

JIA7C9x.jpg

stealth09

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 3, 2016
Canada
Used to have some fancy vehicles such as an Escalade, Range Rover Sport, Audi Q7, and Mercedes CL600.

Hated having payments, and terrible resale value on those vehicles. Got rid of them and bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra. One of the best decisions ever.

I can buy those vehicles cash now, but why? Unless I reach the point where buying one of them is like buying a t-shirt or jeans, I will stick with what I have.

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
prelude.jpgbmw.jpgIMG_20130525_183151_730.jpgaltima 2.jpg

2008 Nissan Altima Coupe (Daily Driver)
2003 BMW z4 roadster (Weekend/joyride)
2001 Honda Prelude Custom (Street Racing)
2001 BMW 330xi (needed an AWD vehicle as well as a 4-door)

Except for the Altima, all of my vehicles are "semi-business" aquisitions. I am able to resell for double what I paid for them (100% profit on each). I dont keep a vehicle for more than a couple months and i buy vehicles that are in high demand for the market; and in their "stand-still" depreciation phase. I just hate to put a lot of money into anything that depreciates which is why I love my method, unlimited supply of vehicles that pays me back whenever.

mrsilva

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 25, 2012
I flip cars as well on my free time. Right now I'm driving a 2002 Golf as a beater but is actually for sale. If somebody offers more than 40% what I paid for is gone! And you can see in the background another car, a 2010 GTi, for sale too.

IMG-20130511-01397_zps14212ed5.jpg

Just had a loss on the S2000 last month, but is okay. We cannot always win on this business!

DSC_0695.jpg

And for this week... I'm helping my investor to sell this beauty here, only 2 available in the country:

IMG-20130529-01542_zps189655c0.jpg

Never drove anything like that before in my life! :thumbsup:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!