The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Design Journey

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If you want to work with specific people then open with something specific about the website you can help with - don’t leave that until the PS. The specific bit is the bit that will catch their attention.
I don't cold email businesses to try and get leads. I've occasionally emailed businesses whenever I see a problem with the site, and they usually reply.

Hi,

I was trying to <action on website> but got the error below.

Andy

<screenshot>

Personally, I don't think cold emailing or cold calling is the best way to get started getting clients. You don't get to find who you can best serve, what problem they really want solved, how to refine your offer and pitch, etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Was able to send 2 emails before heading to my university. Got 1 response which was a No.

This is the script:

"Hey {first name},

{Personalised line}.

I specialize in helping windows cleaning businesses get more leads through their website. {Mention who I have helped}.

Want more 2 to 4 more leads for your cleaning service through your website? Let me know and I can send over a few times to chat.

Thanks,
{Your Name}
"
Don't put people on the spot? Ask if they know anyone who needs help?

Have you tried asking everyone you know? Have you tried locally?

These might help:

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Hey I’m also freelancing. Taking a while to get going but the sales are going up. First was 50, then 1.2k, now 3.5k.

Be great to chat, maybe we can learn something from each other
Getting clients especially high paying clients has been difficult for me. So I'm targeting US and Canadian businesses now

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
I don't cold email businesses to try and get leads. I've occasionally emailed businesses whenever I see a problem with the site, and they usually reply.

Hi,

I was trying to <action on website> but got the error below.

Andy

<screenshot>

Personally, I don't think cold emailing or cold calling is the best way to get started getting clients. You don't get to find who you can best serve, what problem they really want solved, how to refine your offer and pitch, etc.
Don't put people on the spot? Ask if they know anyone who needs help?

Have you tried asking everyone you know? Have you tried locally?

These might help:

I have. Made around 8 websites over the years but didn't get a single referral

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
UPDATE

So I recently helped @Subsonic improve his website speed. Looking to build up more success from this
Did you ask Subsonic for a review and referrals?

Keushei

Serial Entrepeneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Dec 31, 2022
United kingdom
Getting clients especially high paying clients has been difficult for me. So I'm targeting US and Canadian businesses now
Oh okay, may I ask where you’re from?

I actually find it’s easier to target the bigger clients as they know more about money and have more of it to spend.

Trying to get 5k out of a painter that earns that in 2 months is a lot harder than helping a 100k per month business and receiving 5k.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Made around 8 websites over the years but didn't get a single referral
Spooky. I just asked if you asked for referrals.

You can also ask for advice. People like to give advice more than they like to give jobs.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Oh okay, may I ask where you’re from?

I actually find it’s easier to target the bigger clients as they know more about money and have more of it to spend.

Trying to get 5k out of a painter that earns that in 2 months is a lot harder than helping a 100k per month business and receiving 5k.
I live in Nigeria

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
Spooky. I just asked if you asked for referrals.

You can also ask for advice. People like to give advice more than they like to give jobs.
Asked some agencies for advice today on LinkedIn. Also noticed that some businesses on there have websites in their bio that don't load up. Will send them a message about it

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
I currently have a new lead. A lawyer who has been struggling to get clients since 2019. He wants the website to attract new clients, show professionalism and share information.

I can do the last 2 but the first one has always been a problem. I have created 3 websites in the past and none of them got leads through it but my clients have been able to showcase professionalism and share information through it.

How can I get a business owner leads and sales through their website without spending on ads?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just saw a roofing association with a terrible website. How do I approach them for a redesign?

Any suggestions @Andy Black?
I don't do cold emailing, but why not screenshot the worst offending thing about the site and send a quick email.

Something like:

Hi,

The contact form on your website doesn't work (screenshot below).

Cojo

<Screenshot>

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I don't do cold emailing, but why not screenshot the worst offending thing about the site and send a quick email.

Something like:

Hi,

The contact form on your website doesn't work (screenshot below).

Cojo

<Screenshot>
If I got this email, I'd fix the form, but I certainly wouldn't hire Cojo.

He needs to demonstrate value AND ask for money in his email. Example:

"I've noticed you rank on the first page for plumbers in dublin, so it seems like you've got 1,000 people clicking on your website every month based on publically available data.

There's a few things you're NOT doing atm that your competitors are that could improve landing page conversions.

Interested to learn more?"

Then once they reply, give an example of the problem, and invite them on a call to share the other examples. Always keep them curious and eating from the palm of your hand.

I honestly struggle to understand how you can predictably generate business by not aggressively hunting after it. To me it seems so inefficient.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
If I got this email, I'd fix the form, but I certainly wouldn't hire Cojo.

He needs to demonstrate value AND ask for money in his email. Example:

"I've noticed you rank on the first page for plumbers in dublin, so it seems like you've got 1,000 people clicking on your website every month based on publically available data.

There's a few things you're NOT doing atm that your competitors are that could improve landing page conversions.

Interested to learn more?"

Then once they reply, give an example of the problem, and invite them on a call to share the other examples. Always keep them curious and eating from the palm of your hand.

I honestly struggle to understand how you can predictably generate business by not aggressively hunting after it. To me it seems so inefficient.
I don't cold email. Not my thing.

Whenever I find something wrong with a site I send a quick note to the business owner though, so they can fix it.

Invariably they reply with a thank you, and I could have followed up if I wanted.

Cojo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
May 29, 2021
I don't cold email. Not my thing.

Whenever I find something wrong with a site I send a quick note to the business owner though, so they can fix it.

Invariably they reply with a thank you, and I could have followed up if I wanted.
I'm starting to believe cold emailing and calling is very ineffective. I made more than 300 cold calls and emails but only managed to land 1 deal from a cold call.

While I have got 3 local clients from a WhatsApp business group. Although I did tell them I will build their websites for free or low cost

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I'm starting to believe cold emailing and calling is very ineffective. I made more than 300 cold calls and emails but only managed to land 1 deal from a cold call.

While I have got 3 local clients from a WhatsApp business group. Although I did tell them I will build their websites for free or low cost
300 to one deal is pretty good considering you could do like 60 a day.
I typically get one call per 250 Flyers I hand out.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

300 cold calls and you have 1 deal isn't a bad ratio. Sure, it could be better, but you're not a pro yet.

You need to do a ton more volume, and you need to be a lot more aggressive with your offer and actually have something that can benefit people. For example, if you came to me with website stuff, nothing you could do could benefit me. Therefore it's useless to even try to approach businesses like mine. So what kind of businesses can actually benefit from what you do?

Figure that out and start hunting after them – aggressively. Emphasis on the aggressive part.

Last edited:

RicardoGrande

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
May 9, 2021
I currently have a new lead. A lawyer who has been struggling to get clients since 2019. He wants the website to attract new clients, show professionalism and share information.

I can do the last 2 but the first one has always been a problem. I have created 3 websites in the past and none of them got leads through it but my clients have been able to showcase professionalism and share information through it.

How can I get a business owner leads and sales through their website without spending on ads?
See what his GMB profile looks like, and if there's nothing there, create it and optimize it with service area and services- you should be able to find a video or two on youtube to get you most of the way there.
I've been doing it because I see the writing on the wall for SEO due to chatgpt spam and it's worked pretty well for my small clients who only work within one geographical area.

Keep on rocking man, getting clients is nowhere near as easy as it used to be before 2020 but this barrier is also keeping your competitors out.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.