The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web Design Journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
Hello Fastlaners, I'm creating this execution thread to help keep me accountable. I've been learning HTML & CSS for the past few months but I don't feel I'm ready to start creating real world websites for clients. I'll make sure I finish polishing my skills this month so I can finally start creating my first few projects for people. Hopefully, I'll make this work, generate my own income, and take this to 10,000+ value vouchers within 6 months :smile:. Here's what I've done in the last few months.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
I completed the HTML & CSS lessons on Codecademy 4 months ago. The courses were hard at first but more practice made everything easier.

Also took the HTML & CSS course lessons on freecodecamp. This one took lots of time about 2 months. It also took so much time because I wasn't "committed" enough.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
I completed the HTML & CSS lessons on Codecademy 4 months ago. The courses were hard at first but more practice made everything easier.

Also took the HTML & CSS course lessons on freecodecamp. This one took lots of time about 2 months. It also took so much time because I wasn't "committed" enough.
I also finished this Udemy course two weeks ago
https://www.udemy.com/design-and-develop-a-killer-website-with-html5-and-css3/.
But I realized I was just passively learning but not practicing enough or actively engaging with the content. So I have to go back to course sections to relearn and actually start practicing/retrieving the stuff I learned from my brain. I heard that we don't learn by learning stuff but by retrieving the stuff we learned from our brain. So I'm taking this approach to coding. Please if you know of any effective ways to learn coding faster please do share.
I'll update this thread when I've completed this.

KiwiEC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Jan 5, 2023
France
But I realized I was just passively learning but not practicing enough or actively engaging with the content.

That's already a good point. You are learning a lot but at some point you have to enter the battlefield.

While mastering HTML and CSS is obviously useful for doing websites, you can take action very early.

Do you plan to build websites from scratch with pure coding? This may be useful for complex websites but this probably won't be for your first customer.

Then, have you considered using a website builder? There are dozen of tools (Webflow, Framer, Wordpress builders like Elementor, etc.). Those tools are there to help you speeding up the process (templates, visual building, etc.) and your coding knowledge is still useful.

Even if you plan to run a webdesign agency, building websites is far to be the first step when it's about taking action. Start to:
- Name you company, I guess it won't be called "otis7 design".
- Register it with you local administration.
- Define you strategy. Will you target a specific niche? Define your ideal customer.
- Set up a paiement process and a quote/invoice template with your company branding to be sent to customers.
- Fix your short/mid/long terms goals. How much do you plan to charge your first easy customer? How much for the 1000+ employees company you will charge in 3 years?
- Define how you will acquire customers? Social medias? Have you created and polished your company profile? Ads? Do you know anything about online ads? IRL? Good, did you show only once to your local chamber of commerce?
- Etc.

Those actions can be done today without writing a single line of code. If you just spent several months only learning coding, there is a bit of action faking right there.

Start right now, you can do all from this list in one week.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
That's already a good point. You are learning a lot but at some point you have to enter the battlefield.

While mastering HTML and CSS is obviously useful for doing websites, you can take action very early.

Do you plan to build websites from scratch with pure coding? This may be useful for complex websites but this probably won't be for your first customer.

Then, have you considered using a website builder? There are dozen of tools (Webflow, Framer, Wordpress builders like Elementor, etc.). Those tools are there to help you speeding up the process (templates, visual building, etc.) and your coding knowledge is still useful.

Even if you plan to run a webdesign agency, building websites is far to be the first step when it's about taking action. Start to:
- Name you company, I guess it won't be called "otis7 design".
- Register it with you local administration.
- Define you strategy. Will you target a specific niche? Define your ideal customer.
- Set up a paiement process and a quote/invoice template with your company branding to be sent to customers.
- Fix your short/mid/long terms goals. How much do you plan to charge your first easy customer? How much for the 1000+ employees company you will charge in 3 years?
- Define how you will acquire customers? Social medias? Have you created and polished your company profile? Ads? Do you know anything about online ads? IRL? Good, did you show only once to your local chamber of commerce?
- Etc.

Those actions can be done today without writing a single line of code. If you just spent several months only learning coding, there is a bit of action faking right there.

Start right now, you can do all from this list in one week.
Thank you so much for replying. Wow, I didn't know I had to go through all these steps. What I planned earlier was I would finish learning HTML & CSS (and possibly JavaScript) then look at my network and ask if they know anyone who would need a website. Then I'll create my first 1-2 projects for free and go freelancing on Upwork. Guess the process is a lot more than that LOL. I'll look into how i can complete all the steps you outlined above.
I also agree that there's a bit of action faking too. So much ignorance here.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I've been learning HTML & CSS for the past few months but I don't feel I'm ready to start creating real world websites for clients.

excuses. You can start using Carrd - Simple, free, fully responsive one-page sites for pretty much anything TODAY and get results. It's a drag and drop tool for making websites. You can also use other low code options like wordpress or webflow.

You don't need to be that good from a technical perspective to create websites. Just study the websites of similar businesses and shamelessly plagiarize get inspirations from them and use drag and drop tools to build them.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
excuses. You can start using Carrd - Simple, free, fully responsive one-page sites for pretty much anything TODAY and get results. It's a drag and drop tool for making websites. You can also use other low code options like wordpress or webflow.

You don't need to be that good from a technical perspective to create websites. Just study the websites of similar businesses and shamelessly plagiarize get inspirations from them and use drag and drop tools to build them.
I never thought of using drag-and-drop tools like WordPress or Webflow. It's now I know there are tools that can speed up website building. I thought I had to build websites entire websites by hand. Good to know I don't have to do that anymore. But I don't know where to start now should i start learning WordPress? that is building the first few projects using wordpress?

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
So I'm currently stuck now. I'm trying to find someone to build a free website for. I know a business(that sells used and new computers/laptops) that may benefit from a website. And the business also stays in my city. The Business looks like a great candidate but I don't know if it will be a job for a beginner like me. I remember someone said beginner web designers shouldn't try creating a 10-page website or an ecommerce store and it looks like this project will likely be an ecommerce store. Please I need someone's opinion should I just go ahead and contact this business?

Pabblo

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
May 8, 2022
I never thought of using drag-and-drop tools like WordPress or Webflow. It's now I know there are tools that can speed up website building. I thought I had to build websites entire websites by hand. Good to know I don't have to do that anymore. But I don't know where to start now should i start learning WordPress? that is building the first few projects using wordpress?
I have needed website for myself and i master this to level where i can make really good stuff.
While 2-3 months but i had more others things to do.

At this moment this is enough, i think Wordpress is enough for the most marketing sites. There are on Udemy some courses which cost near to 10$ and that is good enough.

You could try to make site for someone. You can say if i find a clients for you(through this page) you will pay for me if not you will not pay. I think it will be not so hard to find someone.
There are no rules. Try something and adjust as you go.

cornishpasty

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
Mar 14, 2023
Cornwall, UK
So I'm currently stuck now. I'm trying to find someone to build a free website for. I know a business(that sells used and new computers/laptops) that may benefit from a website. And the business also stays in my city. The Business looks like a great candidate but I don't know if it will be a job for a beginner like me. I remember someone said beginner web designers shouldn't try creating a 10-page website or an ecommerce store and it looks like this project will likely be an ecommerce store. Please I need someone's opinion should I just go ahead and contact this business?
If you genuinely can help them, then definitely reach out. Most things you can learn as you go, there are a million videos on YouTube about web design for e-commerce stores

Jon822

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Nov 21, 2016
The best way to learn web development is to build a site from scratch and research the languages and tools as they come up.

HTML > CSS > Bootstrap > JavaScript > Back-end language > Databases

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
I have needed website for myself and i master this to level where i can make really good stuff.
While 2-3 months but i had more others things to do.

At this moment this is enough, i think Wordpress is enough for the most marketing sites. There are on Udemy some courses which cost near to 10$ and that is good enough.

You could try to make site for someone. You can say if i find a clients for you(through this page) you will pay for me if not you will not pay. I think it will be not so hard to find someone.
There are no rules. Try something and adjust as you go.
Thank you for the reply. I will contact the business and just try adjusting along as i go.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
If you genuinely can help them, then definitely reach out. Most things you can learn as you go, there are a million videos on YouTube about web design for e-commerce stores
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I forgot it's not about building websites anyway but using them as a tool for the business. Okay, I'll reach out to them. Now I have to come up with what to say to him so he could let me build one.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
I think this thread is a great read for all the folks that instantly get into learning coding to sell websites.

Of note: Look as soon as otis accepted he didn't have to necessarily learn to code to deliver value he was faced with having to sell someone on perceived value (still at this point). How many will spend 6 months toying around with coding tutorials only to finally hit what otis has fast forwarded to now?

Tech know-how isn't the blocker - delivering value and solving an actual problem will always be real business.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
WillHurtDontCare said:
Nah, doesn't sound like excuses in this case. Just ignorance. He's willing to adopt a better paradigm after learning about it. Major points for that unlike many other posts I've read. @otis7 already mentioned not knowing about the biz setup stuff along with website builder tools. Both are valuable bits of knowledge.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022

I'm using some html templates I bought from Envato Elements to help create the website. I just thought that would be a better option compared to using drag-and-drop tools.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Oh No, I'm not. Planning to get the funds to go into the course. I'm just using whatever information I find to get started on web design and freelancing.
1. Start with the free ebook. I've skimmed enough yesterday to know it highlights the same important points that the course material emphasizes. The focus is on problem solving which generates value for clients. It's rare you'll find a prospect who insists on a particular platform and even more rare that it's actually needed. In those few case, hand them off to someone with the appropriate skills. Basically, everyone who's willing to talk with you about a new website is a legitimate prospect. If you can't do the work, outsource the deal and keep 20% - 35% of the billing for the effort aka lead generation and client management.

2. Similarly, contact the company you mentioned. It doesn't matter what you think. Contact ten local businesses. The point is the only way to know what they might need - and be willing to pay for - is by communicating with them. Those kinds of prospect facing interactions should drive everything about your business: platform, pricing strategy, landing page, marketing, all of it.

I *highly* recommend charging for everything because "free" instantly sets the wrong expectations and devalues the service in the minds of prospects. If you feel compelled to give away services, price it properly and attach some kind of magical discount along with magical payment terms.

* web design & launch @ $2,495
* 2024 Early Bird Discount ($1,495)
* Price: $1,000 or $1,200 (2 payments @ $750)
* etc.

Five minutes of pricing creativity is worth 100x for generating sales than two months learning Javascript.

JPoh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Jul 23, 2019
Just came across this thread and I want to wish you all the best! I have been contracting my services as a freelance graphic designer out to agencies, so it's nice to follow the journey of someone who is starting out.

Looks like you're more into the coding side of things, and as the others have mentioned there are tools like WordPress and Webflow to help speed up the process of building a website. I use Webflow myself and it's great for someone like me who has some knowledge of HTML and CSS but prefer to take a more visual approach.

A lot of my web projects for agencies involves me creating the design in Figma, which I would then send to their developer to build the website. Such partnerships might be something you can consider as well down the road.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
I contacted the business two days ago on the very platform he sells his products and he hasn't responded till now. I used one of Fox's free email templates. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have "paste" the entire message on the site. Maybe I should have engaged him in an actual conversation. I'll see if I can get him to respond on other sites(and maybe engage him in a conversation this time). If he still doesn't respond I'll just move on to asking friends and family.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-12 141836.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-12 141836.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 16

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's some niches for you to look into as I was driving up to Plano for my job. I observed and found the following:

HVAC
Drywall
Construction & Handyman Services
Restoration
Electric

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
Here's some niches for you to look into as I was driving up to Plano for my job. I observed and found the following:

HVAC
Drywall
Construction & Handyman Services
Restoration
Electric
Thank you for the reply, Zackery. You've given me some useful ideas :).

Last edited:

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Thank you for the reply, Zachary. You've given me some useful ideas :)
For each city, look through the Google My Business listings. Find several that look outdated and contact them. Don't forget to join local Facebook Groups and your local Chamber of Commerce.

After doing several designs, you want to try and create a referral engine, where people recommend you. It's the best form of marketing out there when it happens!

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Here's another for you Plumbers. Another weird niche but Stairs and Cabinets so home improvement. Found a company car called LATHAM.

I've just been eyeing what niche company cars are out here.

Last edited:

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
I contacted the business two days ago on the very platform he sells his products and he hasn't responded till now. I used one of Fox's free email templates. Hmm, maybe I shouldn't have "paste" the entire message on the site. Maybe I should have engaged him in an actual conversation. I'll see if I can get him to respond on other sites(and maybe engage him in a conversation this time). If he still doesn't respond I'll just move on to asking friends and family.
I had a real conversation with this business on Facebook as that is where I could easily contact them. I think they aren't just willing to take action.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
But after a while, i think i now have a project i can work on and that is building a website for an airport. I got permission yesterday from one of my relatives who is a manager at the airport. This is after I had some conversations with friends and family. When I asked if they knew anyone who needed a website they'd just say "I don't know anyone for now". It was also very hard calling them and having conversations as am pretty much someone who prefers solitude(and not having to speak to people). The key is I just kept looking.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
The problem now is getting the man on a call and interviewing him to find out what problems I can concentrate on. When I spoke to him he told me I should build the website first and then send it to him so he and his team can review it.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
But after a while, i think i now have a project i can work on and that is building a website for an airport. I got permission yesterday from one of my relatives who is a manager at the airport. This is after I had some conversations with friends and family. When I asked if they knew anyone who needed a website they'd just say "I don't know anyone for now". It was also very hard calling them and having conversations as am pretty much someone who prefers solitude(and not having to speak to people). The key is I just kept looking.
The problem now is getting the man on a call and interviewing him to find out what problems I can concentrate on. When I spoke to him he told me I should build the website first and then send it to him so he and his team can review it.
I just ended the project. The manager doesn't seem to be motivated to take action. I've tried calling him for weeks but he won't return the calls. I'm now back to square one looking for someone I can build a website for free.

otis7

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2022
It's been long since I've updated this progress thread. I'm also surprised by the number of weeks that have passed and I'm still not making any progress.
I know I should start talking to people to sell web design(asking them if they know anyone who needs it). But my mind is just holding me back. I don't like talking to people and I also don't like appearing "salesy". I am very introverted and it's painful going against this instinct.
All I've been doing lately is learning more code and doing unrelated activities to convince myself I'm moving forward but deep down I know I'm just learning to avoid the pain of talking to people.
The worst thing is I'm doing all this at the expense of my university. I skip classes all day and my grades have suffered a lot.
Does anyone have any advice so I could move forward from this? Knowing I should be talking to people and also knowing I'm doing activities to avoid talking to people makes me depressed every day. I'm just tired of feeling like a failure.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.