The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Vigilante's "Mind Your Business" Radio Show

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
As you know.. I have been very busy. I'll be around from time to time. I'll re up my INSIDERS sub soon.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Reminder that today at 12PM Central time, you can check out Rachel's interview with @StephenKey.

You can catch the show starting at noon today at http://www.twincitiesnewstalk.com/media/podcast-mind-your-business-mindyourbusiness/

P
lease share that link with your friends today. Stephen Key's message is accessible to almost anyone. If you have $65 plus enough money to buy Stephen's book One Simple Idea, you can start down the path towards licensing your idea(s) to companies that will pay you to rent your ideas.

Also, a quick cheat sheet for you on trademarks, service marks, and copyrights from the start of the show:
✔ Protect your brand with a ™, for free. You can simply start using it on brands and slogans. Check out Skype's logo. They've never bothered to register it. They don't need to, and neither do you under most circumstances.

✔ Protect your services with a ℠ , for free. Like a trademark, but specifically to protect service brands and service slogans. Start using it, and you technically are not required to register it in order for it to effectively protect you.

✔ Protect your written work with a ©, for free. We use copyright protection on all images and advertising copy blocks. You don't need to register your copyrights, but consistently using the copyright message is an effective way to protect your online intellectual property. It, tied together with a cease and desist letter, are effective 99% of the time in stopping hacks from knocking off your photos and copy blocks.

✔ Protect your idea with a provisional patent for $65 total
1. Get a free account from RocketLawyer.com (7 day free trial!)
2. Print provisional patent documents using RocketLawyers Patent Wizard
3. File with the USPTO as a micro entity for just $65.

If you have any specific questions as to any of the above, you can email us at live@myb.media and we'll answer every single question. Note that nobody on our team are lawyers, so we don't dispense legal advice. If you have hard core intellectual property questions, a trademark/patent attorney is the best resource for you. Also, NOLO has some excellent books they publish on these subjects.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
At the end of today's show, we will be announcing our special guest for next week. I think it is a broadcast first, and many of the Fast Laners here will be interested. We've had three killer weeks in a row (Starting with @Likwid24, then @MJ DeMarco, this week @StephenKey). Next week should be the biggest show to date. Not sure how long we can keep up the pace! We have a few ideas as to how we might top next week's special guest... so stay tuned.

We're now the #1 rated podcast on Twin Cities News Talk in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul).

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Is there anything broadcasting live now on that radio channel?

Coz I'm trying to get it to play (tried chrom/firefox) and it does not work :( want to make sure its working come 12PM!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Is there anything broadcasting live now on that radio channel?

Coz I'm trying to get it to play (tried chrom/firefox) and it does not work :( want to make sure its working come 12PM!

The show is pre-recorded. If you take the link at 12PM Central time, there will be a link there to either stream or download the show.

They will add a link for "episode three." You will be able to click on that link and then live stream it or download it.

Still working on getting the library onto iTunes. Should happen this week some time.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
If possible in the future, I would love an episode about work ethic and the habit of taking action.
How do you break through self doubt to continue taking action during hard times?
@smarty,

I would love to see this addressed, as well. There were some days I felt like Loser #1 simply because my plans didn't pan out. Great suggestion.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Another great podcast. Super interesting to know that you can submit ideas to companies and license your idea/make deals. Had no idea you could do something like that. I was hooked and engaged the whole time.

To be honest I wasn't really excited for this one and almost closed my browser when I saw what it was about. "Patents, trademarks, blah blah," I said. Very happy I listened to it. Just makes me feel a lot smarter and adds some more tricks to my bag. The flow of the show is getting really good as well.

Excited for next week's guest!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Another great podcast. Super interesting to know that you can submit ideas to companies and license your idea/make deals. Had no idea you could do something like that. I was hooked and engaged the whole time.

To be honest I wasn't really excited for this one and almost closed my browser when I saw what it was about. "Patents, trademarks, blah blah," I said. Very happy I listened to it. Just makes me feel a lot smarter and adds some more tricks to my bag. The flow of the show is getting really good as well.

Excited for next week's guest!

Thanks Jake. I think we are getting better at providing actionable content.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
This trademark advice is fantastic for those that don't know. Even large companies do it!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I was amazed to discover the Skype example. Here's the Skype (non-registered!) logo :

skype-logo-open-graph.png

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If any of you online sellers want the cease and desist template that we discussed, shoot a note over to live(at)myb.media and someone will send it over to you Monday.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I can't wait until Vig starts taking live phone calls and arguing with people on air. Life lock and goldline will be beating down his door asking to sponsor "Mind Your Business".

This show has to be an absolute blast to produce.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I can't wait until Vig starts taking live phone calls and arguing with people on air. Life lock and goldline will be beating down his door asking to sponsor "Mind Your Business".

This show has to be an absolute blast to produce.

We are going to have an assistant whose whole job it is just to ride the "dump" button, because as you know from personal experience, when I am on a roll, it will only take one show to get us permanently banned by the FCC.

First sponsors we are looking at are Fedex Office, and Regus.

I was mildly amused that our producer ended the show again with "haters gonna hate, hate hate hate hate..."

Not your run of the mill theme bumper music.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Just finished listening to this week's show. Well done. As someone already mentioned, the flow is getting better and better. Vig, you really seem to be settling well into this new role. I've been recommending others to give it a much needed listen. Love the show.

As a side note, a new tradition has already emerged. I listen to the show while labeling, packaging and/or shipping. It really helps speed up about 40 minutes of those mundane tasks ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We're streaming it on Saturdays for a specific reason. Allen... You just nailed the reason. I want to come alongside people precisely at the moment when they are concentrating on their own business. For some people, your employer owns your Monday through Fridays. You own your Saturdays.

Saturdays are a dead time for old media. However, Saturdays are owned by the entrepreneur.

I am thankful for your comments and your encouragement. We are having a blast with this so far. Like in your own private business, the only metric we are looking at so far is how we can be better than we were last week.

NoLackey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 1, 2014
Thanks for providing content via the show. I am listening to the first episode now and will catch up tomorrow.

I was Digital Program Director for a Clear Channel market and worked with the national team for 5 years. As you found out, weekend radio is pretty much all bought air time to sell a service or part time employees who negotiated unsold air time for their hobby based show. I loved it because I got to network with the business owners while helping them build their content, websites, podcasts, etc for their show.

Not that I have to tell you, but network every chance you get with the station staff. Radio's bottom line is about ad revenue, but it's also extremely flexible. There is often inventory on air and online that is unsold. If you know the right people you can buy this up extremely cheap or even get some free spots ran. It may not be prime hours/spots, but radio is about reach and repetition. The program directors online and on air can pretty much fill air time with how they see fit after they take care of their paying spots.

If you ever want to run something radio related by me, feel free to send me a PM.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If possible in the future, I would love an episode about work ethic and the habit of taking action.
How do you break through self doubt to continue taking action during hard times?

We will do this @smarty in 3-4 weeks. I have a very personal story to share on this topic. We're goong to do a show in December where it is just me and Rachel talking. We will do this then.

It would be the most raw and private story I could ever share... But I will do it. It will be even more difficult with my daughter sitting across the desk from me... but we will do it. I will make it very real for you all.

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Just curious if they've been added to Itunes yet? Did a search, but wasn't abel to find them.

Keep up the good work Vig!

Hopefully iTunes this week some time... I will update here when we hit iTunes

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
Another great show. Liked your opening line to the effect of "welcome to today's show, on a day when everyone else is settling back into their status quo. But not you, no. Not you."

Great info on patenting/copyrighting/trademarking. Didn't know their was an s.m. as opposed to a t.m. before.
Didn't realize it was all so easy. One more potential excuse someone might use-out of ignorance, or to avoid taking action. GONE!!

Great interview with Steven, plenty of implementable advice. Another advocate of "pick up the phone!"
Steven mentioned having the company's take the risk of bringing a product to market (which you want to minimize by making it fit well into their existing product line), you also will end up with a smaller reward overall, no? Even with a good licensing attorney.
Along the lines of "nothing ventured nothing gained," perhaps less ventured, less gained?

Good 4 questions at the end of the show. Gives you some personal habits to form/focus on developing. Specifically becoming more disciplined and keeping focused, as well as learning how to work in an unstructured environment.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I just finally listened to the 2nd show.

Yes, I was slow at that too.

3 points...
Much better energy.
Loved the blueprint gift.
It felt "tighter" lots better.

MJ was pretty good too.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
I just knocked out all 3, awesome, loved it. Would be cool if it was video embedded on both ends.

ChickenHawk

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
468%
Aug 16, 2012
Butt in Chair
Hopefully iTunes this week some time... I will update here when we hit iTunes
I can't wait for this to hit ITunes! I listen to Podcasts all the time when I'm making dinner, mowing the lawn etc. I'll definitely add this to my list.

On that note, I was listening to a self-pubbing podcast today, and they happened to mention that the vast majority of their audience members listen after-the-fact via ITunes rather than listening to the show live when it airs. Hopefully, this means you've barely scratched the surface as far as getting listeners.

Also, every few weeks, they ask their listeners to leave them a review on ITunes. Even if you don't do that on your show, maybe you can let us here on the forum know when and where reviews are needed. I know I'm not the only one who'd love to leave a nice review.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I just knocked out all 3, awesome, loved it. Would be cool if it was video embedded on both ends.

What does that mean?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
►►SHOW ANNOUNCEMENT FOR SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 15, 2014◄◄

For those of you who haven't listened to the week #3 Mind Your Business show yet, we have a pretty huge announcement about next week's show posted on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/mybusinesslive

You can leave questions for our guest on our Facebook page, or in this thread at the Fast Lane Forum, and we will work as many of them in as we can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.