• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

PUBLISHING Vigilante's Book "Vigilant Kids" Step by Step

Discussion in 'Business Models, Niches, Industries' started by Vigilante, Apr 3, 2017.

1. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    I like the concept. We have an even creepier one on file. I will use it. Good idea.

Supa and TheKing like this.
  2. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,618
    book arrived, great artwork, simple and useful read for young kids.

You know, kids these days are hooked on touchscreen devices.
    With that artwork style, and perhaps some simple animations you could make a cool little kids game.
    just a thought.

3. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $46,780
    Following this thread for a possible future book launch. I have too many ideas, lol... Thanks for sharing this @Vigilante

THIS! My kids are 16 and 18 now but for years and years through their younger years, we used to buy them lots of books or get them frequently at the library. There were so many times I couldn't help but think "damn...these authors really underestimate children's intelligence". I mean, kids are often smarter than we give them credit for - yet the majority of kids books are SO damn politically correct or sugarcoated. Write children's books that are more a bit more honest and real (within reason of course, and age appropriate) - and you can be onto something that most other authors aren't doing.

amp0193 and Vigilante like this.
  4. Vigilante

Vigilante Legendary Contributor Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    Launch Strategy

Press releases are a dime a dozen in this space. We decided the launch "event" had to have a reasonable chance of resonating, which is why we chose to spend some money at the upcoming trade show in June. The expenses are high for this event with no guaranteed ROI, but the exposure should be good.

Doing things differently to achieve different results. We may crash and burn, but this will not be one of those moments later in life where you wondered what might have happened had you been more proactive.

A June launch gives the book plenty of time to germinate before the Christmas selling season. We are getting some small trade orders (from book stores ordering a half dozen copies, etc...) which is fun at this early hour. Nothing to write home about yet.

So I have this big ass booth. Bought a banner from VistaPrint (8x10) like this:
    [​IMG]

and bought a rack that will be full of Vigilant Kids books from eBay like this :
    Wire Display Rack 10 Tier Trade Show Event Stand Magazine Book Pamphlet Holder | eBay

Working on adding some of the media suggestions per above.

Spent five hundred dollars on a vendor that will bring in a table and chairs to the booth, but it was either that or sit on the floor and I thought that might be awkward.

We also had some rack cards printed from VistaPrint that the book buyers and librarians can take home with them if they want to order later. They also have lead retrieval systems at the show for any interested buyers that we can follow up with later.

I hate trade shows. Long days. Pain in the ass. Hard on your feet. This one will be two days with industry buyers, and then two days open to the general public for their BookCon event in New York. If you are in New York, come on by and visit me. You have to pay to get in to the show, but once you're in, we are in booth 1966.

Supa, vinylawesome, Scot and 4 others like this.
  5. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $46,780
    Have you thought to try out the influencer route too? Along the lines of reaching out to some passionate parenting / mom type vloggers, even child trauma or child psych channels on Youtube and have them talk about the book. Get a VA to do the grunt work of compiling the list and even the initial contact if you don't want to.

Scot and Vigilante like this.
  6. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    If I do this right, they will call ME. Changes the leverage.

Eskil likes this.
  7. Eskil

Rep Bank:
    $46,780
    Oh they will! :) But some promotion upfront can drum up some initial awareness of it too, to where people start asking bookstores if they carry it, etc.

Vigilante likes this.
  8. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    For any of you who listened to the Mind Your Business podcasts, that is my son Luke at the Vigilant Kids booth at BookExpo. The show is underway, and we are hoping for some media attention today.

[​IMG]

9. #nowhere

#nowhere Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,389
    Wish you the best for the trade show!

Vigilante likes this.
  10. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $33,625
    Awesome! Love the Vigilant Kids t-shirt!

Let us know how it goes, eh?

Good luck!

Vigilante likes this.
  11. UncommonWay

UncommonWay Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,872
    Give me a link to share, and I'll do what I can on my end. Love the progress so far!

Vigilante likes this.
  12. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $45,868
    Good luck! Hope this trade show pays off for you guys!

Vigilante likes this.
  13. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    Here's a summary of the BookExpo show. I will write a longer, honest assessment as you have come to expect from the forum later this week.

[​IMG]

Supa, #nowhere, Scot and 4 others like this.
  14. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $316,788
    Admin Post
    Oh no, sounds like it didn't go well?

I'm always presented with a lot of advertising opportunities for the BookExpo which seemed exorbitant -- "put your book on the shelf for only $400!"

My impression of it was I always thought it was a money grab first, a networking / hob nob thing second, and value opp third.

Can't wait to hear your impressions and experience.

15. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    Let's unpack it this way. We're fond around here of saying "fail faster" and for me, this show was an opportunity to accelerate directly into the market and let the market respond. To that end, I wouldn't have done it any differently. I got to spend a bit of money to accelerate the curve, and measure the market, and the market responded with a vote of no confidence. I will unpack it here a bit so that you can learn some things about the (failed) strategy. All in all, I call it a win. I got out of it what I needed to, which was market validation (or in this case, lack thereof). However, I also got fleeced by the promoters of the event who didn't deliver what they promised in exchange for the cash. They didn't deliver the buyers, the traffic, or the results they promised.

Topic / post continued here in its own thread...

BookCon / Book Expo Scam: Warning to Indie Authors

Supa, vinylawesome, Eskil and 8 others like this.
  16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $316,788
    Admin Post
    Insightful take... Probably needs its own thread ... you mind I transfer it to a new thread, and link from here?

Supa and samsara like this.
  17. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    You are the boss.

samsara likes this.
  18. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $316,788
    Admin Post
    U ok with that title or u want something else?

19. MidwestLandlord

MidwestLandlord Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $33,625
    So what does this mean for your book?

20. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    An external event is unfolding that I can't talk about yet that will have an impact on the book project. So for the time being, we will continue using traditional means of promoting it. Stay tuned.

21. Michał Kóska

Michał Kóska Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,040
    how's it going? :)

22. Supa

Supa Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream. Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,972
    Hey Vig, was wondering how the promotion of your book and it overall are doing?

23. Vigilante

Rep Bank:
    $169,984
    It was included in the asset sale of my company

Supa, Longinus and BrooklynHustle like this.
  24. maverick

maverick Unorthodox Nonconformist Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,490
    Supa and Longinus like this.