The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

MARKETPLACE Vigilante Soft Launch of New Kids Book "Vigilant Kids"

G-Man

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jan 13, 2014
My wife apparently had something similar happen that I just learned about: a very old lady (not sure from where), kept trying to hold my son. My wife was trying to be more polite than she normally would have been (the lady was very old, so you feel like you have to be gentle and respectful to her, plus she thought maybe this was just an incidence of different cultural expectations about personal distance). She didn't give the lady the baby, but didn't walk away either, trying to be polite. At this point, she notices a a man standing a ways away that's clearly watching them, so she leaves, and goes about her shopping. Coming out of the store and walking into another area of the mall she notices this older lady having the same awkward interaction with another young mother, and sure enough, when she scans around that dude is close by. She at that point got very rude.....

Clearly the world has changed since the 80s when I was a kid. Who knew you had to look out for sweet little old ladies :frown:

EDIT: removed an indicator of where the lady was from so the thread doesn't go flame war... sorry Vig.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
My wife apparently had something similar happen that I just learned about: a very old lady (not sure from where), kept trying to hold my son. My wife was trying to be more polite than she normally would have been (the lady was very old, so you feel like you have to be gentle and respectful to her, plus she thought maybe this was just an incidence of different cultural expectations about personal distance). She didn't give the lady the baby, but didn't walk away either, trying to be polite. At this point, she notices a a man standing a ways away that's clearly watching them, so she leaves, and goes about her shopping. Coming out of the store and walking into another area of the mall she notices this older lady having the same awkward interaction with another young mother, and sure enough, when she scans around that dude is close by. She at that point got very rude.....

Clearly the world has changed since the 80s when I was a kid. Who knew you had to look out for sweet little old ladies :frown:

EDIT: removed an indicator of where the lady was from so the thread doesn't go flame war... sorry Vig.
Scary stuff when you put it together with the same model playing out in that article.

I have NO ISSUES teaching kids how to come home safely. There was one several months back where a guy grabbed a kid in a dollar store and carried her out the front door.

Parents would fight tooth and nail for their kids. Parents would fight TO THE DEATH for their kids. Kids should do the same thing.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Amazing the response you've received here at the forum with a target market that isn't exactly precise. I'd dare imagine what would happen if you reached a target audience of parents with younglings. You still wanting to buy that house with a gym?

Moreover, this kind of project taps into a potent meaning-and-purpose .... very Unscripted. ;)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Amazing the response you've received here at the forum with a target market that isn't exactly precise. I'd dare imagine what would happen if you reached a target audience of parents with younglings. You still wanting to buy that house with a gym?

Moreover, this kind of project taps into a potent meaning-and-purpose .... very Unscripted. ;)
The trade show that we are launching at in June is the BookExpo at the Javits center. Most brick and mortar buyers and librarians from across the country will be there, and we have a pretty decent sized booth at the show. I will post more on that in the progress thread. We'll also be there for a few days after the private industry trade show, when they open it up to the public for BookCon (Same company that puts on ComiCon). So we'll have two days of meeting with retail buyers, followed by two days of "selling" to consumers. Should be a great way to get the book mainstream awareness, and have a chance to engage with the public directly.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
If you're thinking of a topic for your next book, might I suggest a book that explains allergies to children (and parents). My boy has some life-threatening allergies - explaining to him (and adults) what the allergies are, whats happening inside his body, what an epi-pen is, what is going to happen when you call 911, how to refuse food from well-meaning friends and adults, etc. would have been a lot easier with a children's book. It's a concept my wife and I have talked about for years.

Raoul Duke

I'm not going to live by their rules anymore.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Feb 26, 2016
@Vigilante

I will gladly support a forum member. I have learned so much from your posts.

Your book will be here Tuesday.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
For some reason I thought this wasn't available in Canada (at this point it's almost force of habit...) but it IS listed on amazon.ca, albeit with a "ships in 1-2 months" tag.

Would it help you more if I purchased it now when most other people might avoid it because of that tag (and thus any rank / review benefit might be minimal), or should I wait until it's available more speedily for Canada and thus the purchase would likely bump it up so others more likely to buy it will see?

You've helped me so much along the way that buying a copy is the least I can do (and I'm sure my kids will love it). Just want to make sure I do it when it's worth the most to you.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
For some reason I thought this wasn't available in Canada (at this point it's almost force of habit...) but it IS listed on amazon.ca, albeit with a "ships in 1-2 months" tag.

Would it help you more if I purchased it now when most other people might avoid it because of that tag (and thus any rank / review benefit might be minimal), or should I wait until it's available more speedily for Canada and thus the purchase would likely bump it up so others more likely to buy it will see?

You've helped me so much along the way that buying a copy is the least I can do (and I'm sure my kids will love it). Just want to make sure I do it when it's worth the most to you.
Interesting. In the US, Amazon is using Print on Demand. No idea why it is available in .ca but with a ridiculous lead time. Wait until I get them available in Canada for real. BTW at the meetup yesterday one of the guys was thankful and talking about you specifically as an influence on him. You're having an impact.

JAJT

Ha Ha! Business
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
No idea why it is available in .ca but with a ridiculous lead time.
Yeah, even says "in stock" when you search for it. It's only on the product page that it shows the 1-2 month shipping time.

I SUSPECT (but this is a shot in the dark, truthfully) that Amazon might "queue up" book orders from the USA for Canadian buyers and when it hits some threshold or time frame they ship them in bulk to one of their fba centers and then from there out to the end users. Just a guess but it's the only reason I can think of right now.

Wait until I get them available in Canada for real.
Will do.

BTW at the meetup yesterday one of the guys was thankful and talking about you specifically as an influence on him. You're having an impact.
That's awesome to hear!

They're helping me just as much, if not more, whether they realize it or not :) Connecting with people and problem solving together has always been a huge source of fuel for me.

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
The trade show that we are launching at in June is the BookExpo at the Javits center. Most brick and mortar buyers and librarians from across the country will be there, and we have a pretty decent sized booth at the show. I will post more on that in the progress thread. We'll also be there for a few days after the private industry trade show, when they open it up to the public for BookCon (Same company that puts on ComiCon). So we'll have two days of meeting with retail buyers, followed by two days of "selling" to consumers. Should be a great way to get the book mainstream awareness, and have a chance to engage with the public directly.
You'll love BookExpo- went the last couple years, it's a wet dream for booksellers (and New York in June isn't so bad either!)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
You'll love BookExpo- went the last couple years, it's a wet dream for booksellers (and New York in June isn't so bad either!)
I don't know how many books to bring for that and bookCon ... they are expecting 25,000 people for bookCon

BradD

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 11, 2013
Ottawa
I don't know how many books to bring for that and bookCon ... they are expecting 25,000 people for bookCon
Incredible.. didn't do the BookCon so not sure how many actual transactions were getting done, just walking BookExpo was exhausting. Really well put together. Not sure if you're planning on talking w/ Ingram but I have a few contacts there so if you're having any troubles getting thru I'd be happy to help out!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I have a meeting at book Expo with them

AmericanSpartan

Warrior Monk
Speedway Pass
Mar 20, 2016
Greencastle, IN
Just placed my order on Amazon. I am not a parent, but am curious about the book and want to help a fellow forum member. I'll post a review and some thoughts once I receive it and read.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Speedway Pass
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Congratz Vig!

I'm going to support you by ordering the book, even though my first child is still on his/her way (5 more months of waiting to go...). But your contribution makes it a no-brainer to order it, together with Unscripted! If Unscripted was already being shipped to Europe, I'd have both by now! :innocent: :halo:

Btw, something off-topic but relevant. I just came across a short clip on facebook, on how to open zip-ties if you ever get cuffed in them... Shown by a kid... Maybe a relevant post for your Vigilant-business?

பார்க்க, உள்நுழையவும் அல்லது பதிவுசெய்யவும்

PS: I hope nothing is wrong with linking this?
Edit: what is happening with the link-symbols? It's just a facebook-link...

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Congratz Vig!

I'm going to support you by ordering the book, even though my first child is still on his/her way (5 more months of waiting to go...). But your contribution makes it a no-brainer to order it, together with Unscripted! If Unscripted was already being shipped to Europe, I'd have both by now! :innocent: :halo:

Btw, something off-topic but relevant. I just came across a short clip on facebook, on how to open zip-ties if you ever get cuffed in them... Shown by a kid... Maybe a relevant post for your Vigilant-business?

பார்க்க, உள்நுழையவும் அல்லது பதிவுசெய்யவும்

PS: I hope nothing is wrong with linking this?
Edit: what is happening with the link-symbols? It's just a facebook-link...
Thanks for the support! It is also nice to know that the message is landing, because we already received and posted that same video on the Vigilant Kids Faceboook Page! (Vigilant Kids)

so your message was RIGHT ON TARGET.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Speedway Pass
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Thanks for the support! It is also nice to know that the message is landing, because we already received and posted that same video on the Vigilant Kids Faceboook Page! (Vigilant Kids)

so your message was RIGHT ON TARGET.
Just found your FB-page and saw it posted already.. But hey, you got an extra like now!
Considering how this society is evolving, I can only applaud for awareness like this!
Perfect example of how giving real value, gives back way more..

FORUM SPONSOR

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Post thread…

Search the Forum

New Topics

FASTLANE INSIDERS

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!