The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Uncommon Publishing Results Require Uncommon Action

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I am a product marketing guy, but book launching and marketing is different. Many of the tricks of the trade that are used in physical product marketing don't apply to book marketing, and many successful strategies for book publication don't apply to the physical products industries.

I tasked one of my employees with some research specifically on book marketing and launch strategies. Entire books have been written on the subject (a few years ago I sent @Red a copy of Guerilla Marketing for Writers, for example.)

I listened to a few hours of discussion yesterday that resulted from the research I had commissioned.

The bottom line is in order to get uncommon results, you have to do things in an uncommon fashion.

Here's what that means :

1. I have a friend that is a program director at a radio station. He gets dozens of unsolicited requests from authors for air time on his major market radio station. They answer virtually zero of them. Your book proposal to him is common. Not newsworthy.

2. A press release? You might be one of several thousand books "published" this week. Nobody cares about your press release, as your press release is common.

3. Stick the book on an ePublishing platform and hope that your keyword indexing drives sales? Common. You didn't work on your book for a year to just stick it out there and hope somebody finds it. Common way to go to market.

4. Build a social media following? This might generate some sales, but only if the people are interested in YOU before you publish the book. Common strategy.

So what does uncommon look like? A catalyst. An event. A reason. How do you put a topic into the national thought stream? Organic growth is slow growth. You need a driver. People aren't looking for your book. You need a movement. You need people to get excited enough about what your book is about that they become evangelists for your book. Your message. Your cause.

Kickstarter is the EASY example of a catalyst event, but Kickstarter is becoming common. Here's a somewhat dated article on launching a book on Kickstarter. 10 Things To Know About Kickstarting a Book | The Huffington Post

Think BIGGER. I don't want to call Fox News and try and get on there. I need a reason for Fox News to CALL ME and ASK ME to come on there.

You can use social media to backfill and reinforce your story after you have a story to tell. Meaning, Facebook is NOT a launch strategy. Facebook is how you increase visibility to something you have already made newsworthy.

I don't want my book on an eBookShelf. I want a book that has potential to be in every bookstore in America. But first... I have to give America a reason to look for it.

All of the research I had done boils down to a simple proven fact. If you do things the way everyone else does, you're going to get the same results everyone else gets.

A few selected statistics from this web site : (10 Awful Truths About Publishing - Berrett-Koehler Publishers)

• According to the latest Bowker Report (September 7, 2016), more than 700,000 books were self-published in the U.S. in 2015, which is an incredible increase of 375% since 2010.
  • Book industry sales are stagnant, despite the explosion of books published.
  • A book has far less than a 1% chance of being stocked in an average bookstore.
So what about your book? What are you doing to make sure you didn't just do a colossal waste of time? What are you doing differently to achieve different results?

I am working on a few things that I hope will break the curve for an upcoming children's book that I am launching in June. I can cheat the system a bit, or at least stack the odds more in my favor than some by throwing some additional financial resources at it that some might not be able to. I still though have to find a reason for the public to award me with critical mass. I know we can solve a problem, but I have to break into the public consciousness to convince them they even care. You don't get on the NYT best seller list by clicking "publish" on CreateSpace. That's the START for some, but not the finish line.

I will share the results with you all, win or lose... but I am not playing to lose. I believe enough in the message that I took the time to write the book. I don't plan to rest until I have broken the curve. The book has been a year in the making, and I owe it to myself and those that have supported the project to give it everything I can give it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I will share the results with you all, win or lose... but I am not playing to lose.

I had no clue what you've been doing.

But now that I know, it looks like it could be a big winner, and BIG on meaning and purpose in the greater scope of things. And it fits your business perfectly. Very excited for you.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Good luck. I'll be following the thread with great interest.

I don't know much about children's books and my launch process is not spectacular at all, but if you have any questions about book publishing, I'll be happy to help you.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Just had one of the final pre-publishing battles... a discussion with my wife over the fair market value of a kids book.

Suffice it to say the retail was significantly lowered from where I had it priced.

In our marriage, I make all of the major decisions, and my wife makes all of the minor decisions.

I've been married 25 years.

In 25 years, there has never been a major decision that needed to be made.

But I stand ready for the day a major decision needs to be made.

EricZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 18, 2014
Germany & California
Sounds like awesome-ness brewing, especially the uncommon part.
Childrens' books are my specialty too. When you're done let's do a podcast-interview!
[would have pm'd you but not possible?]

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.