The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tony Robbins a cult leader?

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
I just bought Awaken The Giant Within since it's always highly recommended and is also in the Fastlane Bookstore, and a friend said that Tony Robbins is a cult leader who shouldn't be anyone's "guru". He then proceeded to share this article.

Thoughts? Book still worth it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
You already bought it.

Read it, take the good out of it and move forward. A lot of crap people have written words that help.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
You already bought it.

Read it, take the good out of it and move forward. A lot of crap people have written words that help.
Can always return it. If he's a phony I rather get my money back and put it to better use.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've read a lot of Tony R's material and found some of it valuable .... that said, I must have not renewed my cult membership decades ago.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
I've read a lot of Tony R's material and found some of it valuable .... that said, I must have not renewed my cult membership decades ago.
I know you preached in your books about 'fake gurus' so just want to make sure im getting value for my dollar and time. Currently reading The Miracle Morning and bought 3 more books today, one which was the Tony Robbins book. Thanks, MJ.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I know you preached in your books about 'fake gurus'

He's really great for fighting the mental battles, the psychology behind the game. Combine that with the mathematical approach + value skew from my material, and you have a fighting chance.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
He's really great for fighting the mental battles, the psychology behind the game. Combine that with the mathematical approach + value skew from my material, and you have a fighting chance.
Appreciate the insight, MJ! Thank you.

Who Owns The Ice House is on the way too.

By the way, great to see you in The Miracle Morning book. What a crazy life Hal had in the beginning.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
All people have flaws, some very deep ones.

Great people, influential people, get these normal flaws put under the microscope.
Often this is done by mediocre people trying to make a name for themselves by attacking others...

Could you imagine spending your time in life, pointing out how others are wrong?
In this case, being a 'therapist', and attacking another person?
Good lord...

Can you imagine the size of the ego of someone who tries to drag others down?
It seems like the epitome of weakness and fear, to attack someone more successful than you, for your own benefit and fame.

I don't personally care about Tony Robbins that much, but, the guy is pretty damn successful.
I find it far better to listen to people, with an open an inquisitive mind. I can always learn lessons from other people. I don't need to walk in lock step with others, to appreciate their contributions.

A person doesn't need to be perfect to be legendary.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
Also, the best speech ever on this, in my opinion:

Theodore Roosevelt: The Man In The Arena

"It is not the critic who counts;
not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles,
or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again,
because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;

but who does actually strive to do the deeds;
who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause;
who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst,
if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,
so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Olov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 10, 2019
I haven't read his books, but I've watched a bunch of interviews and clips.

He doesn't seem to be a cult leader, just a good salesman.

The thing is that a lot of simple people need a cult-like group. They need something to follow and be a part of.

Look at all those entrepreneur gurus on Youtube. Write a critical, yet constructive, comment on a GaryVee video and you will have a bunch of people defending and fighting "for him". No matter how wrong they are, they will attack you for saying anything that isn't praise.

They don't think logical, it's all about defending the tribe and their God.

If I watch any videos like this, it's so that I can develop my own business and my own life. To understand ideas, strategies and so on. I don't think these people are there for that reason.

I don't think the blame can be put on these Internet gurus for that (I know Tony was here before Youtube). They are just selling their products, and then the simple masses come to worship them. Same for footballers, hockey players, politicians and music groups.

I see the exact same type of behaviour in the comment field of some musicians. They just play good music, yet people create a cult society around them.

Then I try to imagine what it would be if these musicians, gurus and athletes actually tried manipulating and creating cults. Crazy. Like kneeli..... nevermind.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I just bought Awaken The Giant Within since it's always highly recommended and is also in the Fastlane Bookstore, and a friend said that Tony Robbins is a cult leader who shouldn't be anyone's "guru". He then proceeded to share this article.

Personally I don't think Tony is a cult leader, he gets the accusation just because he has so many people that follow him. I've found Tony useful for parts of the head game. However, the most useful thing for me has been success - success seems to feed on itself, and the more successful you become, the more confident you get. When I first started out I really lacked confidence, but as I grew and grew and grew, my confidence grew and grew and grew...

df1992

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 26, 2020
London
I've read a lot of Tony R's material and found some of it valuable
I think that's the key right... you might not like/agree with everything a person does or stands for, but it doesn't mean that you can't learn valuable lessons from them.

Theodore Roosevelt: The Man In The Arena

Love this!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Man goes to a restaurant and orders a meal.

The meal arrives and he asks the other diners what they think of it.

Hope you can take a joke :)

Dan

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
Man goes to a restaurant and orders a meal.

The meal arrives and he asks the other diners what they think of it.

Hope you can take a joke :)

Dan
I ordered the book because I know it's recommended here but I told someone else I ordered it and then he 'warned" me about Tony being such an awful person and a cult leader. That he shouldn't be anyone's guru. That I shouldn't give him a cent because he berates abuse victims, has been accused of sexual misconduct etc.

That's all lol.

D

Deleted78083

Yeah, I'd say he is a cult leader, which doesn't mean that his book is bad.

Grant Cardone is also a cult leader, yet his book 10X is quite good.

One doesn't prevent the other. Haha.

Olov

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 10, 2019
Yeah, I'd say he is a cult leader, which doesn't mean that his book is bad.

Grant Cardone is also a cult leader, yet his book 10X is quite good.

One doesn't prevent the other. Haha.
What makes Tony Robbins a cult leader? I'm not being sarcastic.

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
To be inside a cult means to rationalize the persuasion. In every persuasion the means determines the end.

Learn to decide for yourself and live with the consequences made by your own decision.

If you are not sure, if the military is the right place for you. Do not ask at the recruiting office for the answer.

NT2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 21, 2020
Texas

It's always good to take anyone's advice, whether from a friend or a book, and filter it through your own wisdom and lived experience. Part of someone's public persona is theater, anyway. Tony specializes in live events. Even MJ's books - I'm sure he doesn't ridicule old people in person, but, in the book, he uses those jokes to make a point, and it's funny.

A lot of what he Tony Robbins does is showmanship, so there's always the man behind the image. He was quiet about why he cheated on and left his first wife, after preaching about marriage for so many years. But, whatever. You don't have to be his friend or look up to him. But his story is really powerful and very relevant to entrepreneurs. He took some big risks, he's been scammed and stolen from, he's had huge successes and failures, etc.

I hope you get a lot out of the books you're reading, and put everything into practice that makes sense for you! Best of luck.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY
It's always good to take anyone's advice, whether from a friend or a book, and filter it through your own wisdom and lived experience. Part of someone's public persona is theater, anyway. Tony specializes in live events. Even MJ's books - I'm sure he doesn't ridicule old people in person, but, in the book, he uses those jokes to make a point, and it's funny.

A lot of what he Tony Robbins does is showmanship, so there's always the man behind the image. He was quiet about why he cheated on and left his first wife, after preaching about marriage for so many years. But, whatever. You don't have to be his friend or look up to him. But his story is really powerful and very relevant to entrepreneurs. He took some big risks, he's been scammed and stolen from, he's had huge successes and failures, etc.

I hope you get a lot out of the books you're reading, and put everything into practice that makes sense for you! Best of luck.
Thank you! I've decided to keep the order and read it. Should be arriving tomorrow.

Best of luck to you as well!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
What makes Tony Robbins a cult leader? I'm not being sarcastic.
His obsession with NLP and having people jumping and dancing in his 2000 dollar seminar.

I am sure you fan find a lot of things to learn from him. But the problem with him is same as Warren Buffett, they are old men who are complacently stuck with the wisdom of the last era, and you cannot learn anything that is concretely useful-things that are more relevant to the issues today.

The irony is when they are already at their level of net worth and have the crazy number of fans, they can afford to be complacent to dismiss of the new things going on in the world. The problem is their followers can’t.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.