The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Tony Robbins sells out; reveals his Paradox of Practice, cringeworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Tony Robbins wants you to invest: 'You are not going to earn your way into a fortune'

Michelle Fox | @MFoxCNBC

Published 3 Hours Ago

""You are not going to earn your way into a fortune. Even people that do that don't usually keep it," Robbins said on "Power Lunch." "You have to make money while you sleep."

The only way to do that is by earning compounding interest, in other words, interest on your interest, he explained.

Robbins, a special advisor to CNBC's Financial Wellness Advisory Council, pointed out the benefits in an op-ed for CNBC Invest In You. For example, if a 19-year-old invests $50 a week and averages a 10 percent annual return, he or she will have over $2.2 million at the age of 65.

But even if you are older, it's not too late to get in the game. To have $1 million for retirement, a 40-year-old needs to put away $15,000 a year and a 50-year-old needs $37,000 a year, he said."
You can't make this sh!t up! I read this interview in the news today. Thank you MJ for articulating the different perspective that so many of us just couldn't put to words. This crap from TR is what I believe for far too long.

Sure hope I didn't cross any lines here, but just about lost it when I saw this article.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Patrickg

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 20, 2016
Tony Robbins wants you to invest: 'You are not going to earn your way into a fortune'

Michelle Fox | @MFoxCNBC

Published 3 Hours Ago

""You are not going to earn your way into a fortune. Even people that do that don't usually keep it," Robbins said on "Power Lunch." "You have to make money while you sleep."

The only way to do that is by earning compounding interest, in other words, interest on your interest, he explained.

Robbins, a special advisor to CNBC's Financial Wellness Advisory Council, pointed out the benefits in an op-ed for CNBC Invest In You. For example, if a 19-year-old invests $50 a week and averages a 10 percent annual return, he or she will have over $2.2 million at the age of 65.

But even if you are older, it's not too late to get in the game. To have $1 million for retirement, a 40-year-old needs to put away $15,000 a year and a 50-year-old needs $37,000 a year, he said."
You can't make this sh!t up! I read this interview in the news today. Thank you MJ for articulating the different perspective that so many of us just couldn't put to words. This crap from TR is what I believe for far too long.

Sure hope I didn't cross any lines here, but just about lost it when I saw this article.

That’s to bad. Tony Robins sold out. Not sure when. But defiently sold out.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
He sold out since he did money: master the game did he not?
I still remember the promo-blitz he did for the more-recent book unshakeable, with an investment guide he put together "with some of the industry greats" that could beat recessions, allegedly.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
The guru network that we see today, spans centuries, perhaps millenniums, even going as far back to the time of the Sumerians, or even earlier. This is TR's lineage:

xxx ---> James Breckenridge Jones (founder of Abundavita, a MLM company) ---> John Earl Shoaff ---> Jim Rohn ---> Tony Robbins

Both John and Jim worked in MLM and have their roots in them.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
He caters to an audience that isn't you, Mr CEO... He's just trying to help as many people as possible (the mainstream).

For another example check out Mark Cuban's "Guide to getting rich" on youtube.

Would you seek philosophical advice from "the hungry caterpillar"? (kids book).

1. Know where you are at, what are your current problems?
2. Seek advice for that level of problem, from the right people catering to your current level.

Teachers/mentors that served you at the beginning of your journey may well be useless at the latter stages, vice versa.

I have no doubt he is 100% well intentioned. Even bathing in the most cynical of thought, what does he have to gain at this point? Dude is worth $500m+

yes, I'm bias.

MrChill

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Dec 18, 2015
I have mixed opinions about this. Having not read his books about money (but I can vouch for the quality of Awaken the Giant Within, and Tony's generally excellent insight into human motivation and potential), I'm not a fan of compounding interest when taken strictly at face value.

Maybe Tony even believes that encouraging most Scripted people to save a few bucks and hope for some compounding is the best that they can garner, assuming that most people don't have the guts to be a true wealth (value) generator on the scale that he himself has become.

Considering most people over-extend themselves, Tony's advice, in a vacuum, is certainly better than frittering away your money on meaningless consumerism. Still, investing solely in the stock market isn't a path to true wealth, as was illustrated in Unscripted .

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
He is an absolute F*cking force, check out his morning priming video. However as mentioned in Unscripted , did he ever sell out his audience with that horseshit money book he (ghost) wrote. To me, he's in that category where I can straight up ignore the bad stuff and take in the good. Grant Cardone however....

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
May 1, 2011
I like Tony Robbins. I believe that he's a good person with good intentions and that we can learn a lot from him. I learned a lot from him, too.

Having said that, it's funny how much he talks about the limiting beliefs of other people, yet here we have a prime example of a limiting belief coming straight from him.

Yeah, you won't earn your way into a fortune so better just accept your lot in life and save $50 a month for the next five decades of your life while you rot away in your cubicle. (coming from a guy who tells people to raise their standards and strive for more)

Yeah, the only way to make money while you sleep is to earn interest on your interest. Building a business? Nah, who would ever do that? (coming from a guy worth close to a billion owning a truckload of companies)

Wait until you're 65 to achieve what many consider one of the most important pieces of the puzzle to become successful (financial independence). Because who cares about enjoying your life while you're still young, right? (coming from one of the most intense guys in the world optimizing every single aspect of his life, stressing how important it is not to postpone your dreams)

One of the most important tenets of his school of thought is to prime yourself for the day ahead (put yourself in the right mental state to continuously grow in life). Imagine jumping up and down, telling yourself how you're going to crush the day only to go to the office and save $50 a month for the next few decades of your life. What's the point?

I understand why he's saying that. The media wouldn't accept if he gave less generic (but much more useful) advice. He probably wants to help as many people as possible and needs to provide advice—even if flawed—that an average Joe is most likely to act on. Still, he could have at the very least mentioned that there's a different way for those willing to work harder to enjoy a better life now, not when they're 65 (which I assume is his main target audience).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I will always have a strong fondness for Tony's old book, Awaken The Giant Within. I learned a lot from it and it is transcendent.

But in today's culture, he's just another duplicitous hypocrite preaching to the plebs how to get rich when none of BS he's spewing is behind his fortune. He made money while he slept because of his business, not because of his Wall Street investments. He sold seminars and books, he didn't buy stocks and wait.

GMA FN BREAK.

Puke-worthy. And yet people will eat it up in droves never spotting the hypocrisy...

Kinda like me writing a book on how to become a wealthy doctor running a medical practice.

Oh really MJ? Did you get rich running a medical practice?

Uh, no.

I like Tony Robbins. I believe that he's a good person with good intentions and that we can learn a lot from him. I learned a lot from him, too.

Having said that, it's funny how much he talks about the limiting beliefs of other people, yet here we have a prime example of a limiting belief coming straight from him.

Yeah, you won't earn your way into a fortune so better just accept your lot in life and save $50 a month for the next five decades of your life while you rot away in your cubicle. (coming from a guy who tells people to raise their standards and strive for more)

Yeah, the only way to make money while you sleep is to earn interest on your interest. Building a business? Nah, who would ever do that? (coming from a guy worth close to a billion owning a truckload of companies)

Wait until you're 65 to achieve what many consider one of the most important pieces of the puzzle to become successful (financial independence). Because who cares about enjoying your life while you're still young, right? (coming from one of the most intense guys in the world optimizing every single aspect of his life, stressing how important it is not to postpone your dreams)

One of the most important tenets of his school of thought is to prime yourself for the day ahead (put yourself in the right mental state to continuously grow in life). Imagine jumping up and down, telling yourself how you're going to crush the day only to go to the office and save $50 a month for the next few decades of your life. What's the point?

I understand why he's saying that. The media wouldn't accept if he gave less generic (but much more useful) advice. He probably wants to help as many people as possible and needs to provide advice—even if flawed—that an average Joe is most likely to act on. Still, he could have at the very least mentioned that there's a different way for those willing to work harder to enjoy a better life now, not when they're 65 (which I assume is his main target audience).

Very poignant. In short, he's duplicitous and hypocritical, endorsing and validating the limiting beliefs of the peasants just so he can tailor a ubiquitous lukewarm strategy that will appeal to the masses.

This is business decision based on market size, pure and simple. Most of the plebs will buy it hook line and sinker, the rest of us know better.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
To the people who gave me shit for calling him a con man, I'll be waiting for your apologies, lol

Ricky-Gervais-Facepalm-Laugh-Reaction-Gif.gif

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
I've benefitted a lot from TR's stuff. I don't think his discussion of compound interest is a new thing for him. A year or so ago I listened to his Personal Power II stuff, which I think is from the late 80s. From what I recall, he had two different lectures on money. The first one was on creating value for other people and was very much aligned with what MJ talks about in his books. The second tape was about compound interest and included standard investing advice. For me, when the second tape started and he went into compound interest, it was like a record player screech. "Wait, what the heck is this?" It kind of confused me as it didn't readily align with his first lecture on money. Or, at least it didn't seem to align well to me. Maybe I missed something.

Valhalla

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 6, 2019
To the people who gave me shit for calling him a con man, I'll be waiting for your apologies, lol

I think con men (conpeople) don't help anyone and never intended to. I definitely wish Tony Robbins would have written a different book about money, but he has helped millions of people through his other work.

ShamanKing

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Aug 30, 2018
California
He caters to an audience that isn't you, Mr CEO... He's just trying to help as many people as possible (the mainstream).

For another example check out Mark Cuban's "Guide to getting rich" on youtube.

Would you seek philosophical advice from "the hungry caterpillar"? (kids book).

1. Know where you are at, what are your current problems?
2. Seek advice for that level of problem, from the right people catering to your current level.

Teachers/mentors that served you at the beginning of your journey may well be useless at the latter stages, vice versa.

I have no doubt he is 100% well intentioned. Even bathing in the most cynical of thought, what does he have to gain at this point? Dude is worth $500m+

yes, I'm bias.

Exactly what I was thinking.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
The best way to make money while you sleep is to sell dreams and pseudo-science to desperate people in airport hotel ballrooms.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Funny how Tony forgot to mention that his beautiful compound interest strategy can ALSO lose money in your sleep.

When the market is going down, you lose money in your sleep.
When inflation is gnawing at your savings, you lose money in your sleep.

When you own a business, you aren't subject to such whims because you retain control.

The best way to make money while you sleep is to sell dreams and pseudo-science to desperate people in airport hotel ballrooms.

bahahahahaha

All that said, I'm gonna stick around and wait for the Kung Fu Steve lecture in 3... 2.... 1..... I figured a good TR rant would draw him back to the forum like flies to sh*t.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Kung Fu Steve

I have always had a problem with Dave Ramsey telling people to get rich by putting their money in envelopes, when he got rich selling them books.

I have always had a problem with Suz Orman telling people to delay to retirement until 70, as she wrote that from her retirement villa well below 70. You can't make this shit up.

Tony Robbins telling people to use compound interest to get rich is selling "healthy" ice cream at a beach to fatties and telling them they're making a good lifestyle choice.

F*cking gurus.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
@Kung Fu Steve

I have always had a problem with Dave Ramsey telling people to get rich by putting their money in envelopes, when he got rich selling them books.

I have always had a problem with Suz Orman telling people to delay to retirement until 70, as she wrote that from her retirement villa well below 70. You can't make this shit up.

Tony Robbins telling people to use compound interest to get rich is selling "healthy" ice cream at a beach to fatties and telling them they're making a good lifestyle choice.

F*cking gurus.

Yeah, F*ck that guy!

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Please read this whole thing before/if you respond...

So first off I'll admit that I'm a big Tony guy. Been to a couple of his Unleash the Power Within a couple times even. Like MJ said, Awaken the Giant Within is an incredible book that had a huge impact on me.

However, I don't necessarily have to agree with everything he says and does. I haven't read his most recent books 'Money' and 'Unshakeable' and I don't plan to.

The interesting thing for me is that when it comes to business/finance, Tony on one hand advocates slowlane principles and in the other hand entrepreneurship.

At his events, for example, he talks much more about how he has gained his wealth from owning businesses and that he owns/partially owns 30+ businesses currently. He mentions safeguarding/growing his money through investing, but he never claims that that's where his wealth came from.

He also has 2 business/wealth events/seminars that go into more depth.
They are Business Mastery and Wealth Mastery. (I have not been to either but know many who have)

Wealth Mastery is more in line with his recent books and slowlane investing principles. He brings in big time wall street guys as speakers. He doesn't talk about this program much. Hardly mentions it.

Business Mastery, on the other hand, is made strictly for business owners/entrepreneurs looking to grow/scale/create systems. This is the one he promotes harder. From what I hear, it's a lot of solid principles more in line with fastlane ideologies. He talks constantly about providing massive value. I personally know several entrepreneurs who grew their businesses dramatically after attending business mastery.

As to why he promotes investing so much recently I have a couple theories:
  1. This is the more likely one: He is trying to help people that will never be entrepreneurs - aka the majority of the population - grow their money in some capacity. Investing smartly will still help you grow your money more than saving it. When he says:
    "You are not going to earn your way into a fortune.
    I'm pretty sure he is referring to "earning" as in earning a salary.
  2. He may genuinely believe in parts of it since he has strong connections with both billionaire entrepreneurs and people in finance such as Ray Dalio. He strongly believes in taking advice from people who are the top of their field, so he might be blindly buying in to what the top finance guys are telling him.
I just have a hard time understanding why he would purposely try to dupe people into the slowlane. He doesn't need the money. His most recent investing book, Unshakeable, 100% of the profits go to Feeding America. Also, having been around him (and I know this sounds like crazy blind follower talk), he is one of the best-intentioned people I've come across and wants nothing but good for people. I understand from the outside looking in it sounds like a bunch of b.s., but that's my honest take.

I personally follow him because of his work in relation to practical psychology and will continue to do so. Almost every influencer/author/guru/whatever-you-want-to-call-it has some viewpoint I don't agree with. That doesn't mean everything else they say/do loses validity.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Yeah, F*ck that guy!

I thought perhaps my friend could add a little color. I guess there’s nothing to add.

Take the good with the bad. He has impacted positively hundreds of thousands of lives.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I thought perhaps my friend could add a little color. I guess there’s nothing to add.

Take the good with the bad. He has impacted positively hundreds of thousands of lives.

Up to 63 million now... that's just who has attended events.

D

Deleted50669

It is always good to see that here at the Fastlane forums, we are so superior to everyone else.
Don't put words in my mouth. Not saying I'm superior, just that they're fools. If you have a thorn in your a$$, send me a DM.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Up to 63 million now

I wonder what number in that 63,000,000 was me? It was probably 1994 ... so maybe 24,254,955th. My feet are still burnt. FN gurus!

63 million fools, impressive

just that they're fools.

C'mon now, even I would disagree with this. And I'm sure most of the forum would too. Despite his recent dive into Slowlane drivel, he has unequivocally helped millions. I was one of them many moons ago...

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
The people that go for gurus are indeed fools. But that's only half the story. We're all fools. We all share the same fundamentally flawed mental machinery. If the conditions are right.... If what we're promised is enticing enough... or if what we're trying to avoid is scary enough, we'll believe anything. We'll DO anything.

The reason I'm aggravated at the scene of people fleecing desperate people in airport hotel ballrooms is because I WAS one of those desperate people. I went to the seminars. I even went for religious gurus. I know that I have the same disease as everyone else and, given the right conditions, I would go for it again.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Don't put words in my mouth. Not saying I'm superior, just that they're fools. If you have a thorn in your a$$, send me a DM.
So you are saying I am a fool? You are saying MJ is a fool? You are saying KungfuSteve is a fool? You are saying all of the 63 million are fools?

Could you explain that statement? How does finding help in something or someone make one a fool?

D

Deleted50669

So you are saying I am a fool? You are saying MJ is a fool? You are saying KungfuSteve is a fool? You are saying all of the 63 million are fools?

Could you explain that statement? How does finding help in something or someone make one a fool?
Tony Robbins is two-faced. Therefore, anyone who follows his leadership is a fool. The fact that you, MJ, or anyone else became successful is probably not attributable to Tony's influence. Unless he espoused the same ideas as MJ's book, which to my knowledge, he doesn't; he preaches slowlane bullshit and gets people all positive and excited over... what? Randian principles that someone can learn from any source without traveling to a Tony Mosque and spending thousands to be in the graces of his charades? Anyone could do what Tony does if they swallowed their dignity and hired a PR firm to work on their smile. Give me a break.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It is always good to see that here at the Fastlane forums, we are so superior to everyone else.

One outlier opinion does not represent the whole.

Could you explain that statement?

Let's hope there isn't an explanation, absolute statements like that ("63 million fools") don't need to be argued because they're ridiculous.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@404profound could definitely use some help on his mindset.
which ironically would lead him to TR for help.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.