The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buzzfeed: Tony Robbins accused of sexual misconduct

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janebradley/tony-robbins-self-help-secrets

He made some comments awhile back that wasn't favorable to the "me too" movement and now this.

Not sure what I believe.

Tony has a blunt, "in your face" way about exposing our internal dogmas, perhaps it was acceptable 20 years ago but not in today's hypersensitive culture.

He recently said "victimhood is now rewarded" which is somewhat true.

The allegations are years old.

Not favorable to the allegations is how his lawyers are trying to squash the story and threaten anyone connected to it.

Here's Tony's response:

An Open Letter to BuzzFeed Editors and Board of Directors from Tony Robbins

What stands out — even in today’s sea of mis-representation and journalistic corner-cutting — is the 2014 report by the industry-standard, non-partisan, Pew Research Center which cites Buzzfeed as “the least trusted news source” of them all. So, it stands to reason that you are presently facing financial, organizational, and management troubles. BuzzFeed is unapologetically fueling the current cultural divide by targeting well-known individuals with false allegations to boost its readership and serve its shareholders.

Let me be clear, while my open-classroom therapeutic methods are not for everyone, and while I am on my best day still only an imperfect human being, I have never behaved in the reckless, irresponsible, or malicious manner intimated by false, unfounded, and incendiary allegations suggested by BuzzFeed story-tellers.

Several individuals have contacted us to let us know that you attempted to manipulate their testimony and, in some cases, even ignored their legal counsel when they pointed out inaccuracies and mischaracterizations of their client’s personal accounts at the hands of your reporters.

Why didn’t you listen to what these individuals had to say and instead choose to proceed with inverted truths as your central narrative?

Your organization cannot claim objectivity or journalistic integrity when your written ethics and standards policy claims that in “activism” issues “there are not two sides.” As we all know, in the context of a just democracy, there are always two sides.

A compelling argument, especially considering Buzzfeed typically isn't interested in truth, but in agenda and narrative. They even admit as such (in above quote). Seems like they disregarded some testimony and tried to move things in/out of context.

Again, in today's world where news organizations are purely partisan activists for certain agendas, I'm not sure what to believe anymore. But for now, I'll stick to the legal standard, innocent until proven guilty.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The biggest take away for me is that Buzzfeed believes that it is a news organization. I thought it was just some celebrity gossip rag, do people actually think it is news?

If buzzfeed ever shows up on my phone newsfeed I just block it.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The biggest take away for me is that Buzzfeed believes that it is a news organization. I thought it was just some celebrity gossip rag, do people actually think it is news?

Unfortunately yes, many millenials in the USA think it speaks the gospel.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
(Sorry formatting on my phone is a little rough today!)

Here I come to save the daaaaaay~

Here's his response:

Here's THE WOMAN THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IN THE ARTICLE"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3kWMBJE5Y&feature=youtu.be

Here's the HEAD OF SECURITY:
View: https://www.facebook.com/alonzo.cahoon.3/videos/2621681007860212/

Here's the Founder of our biggest supported charity (you know, the ones defending women and saving them?)

2. Tim Ballard (Founder of Operation Underground Railroad)

YouTube:
View: https://youtu.be/1Gzi71asKMI

3. Sean Callagy:
View: https://youtu.be/yNehWJEeJaU

If you feel like helping us with getting this ridiculous thing down, you can do so here:

4. Change.org Petition: Sign the Petition (#boycottbuzzfeed)

Lots of people sharing this all over. Lots of headline reading. The article itself is a joke.

Last edited:

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
Misconduct basically means unprofessional behavior. Basically, 99% of the human race is guilty of misconduct. Sarcasm? Misconduct. Joking? Misconduct. Using a non-politically correct word (even appropriately)? Misconduct. I had an HR person tell me that commenting on someone's sunburn can be offensive because it's "racist" since it has to do with skin tone. WTF?

We live in times where flirting is often times categorized as sexual harassment. That's absurd. People meet their boyfriend/girlfriend/husband/wife at work. If you're not allowed to say you like someone or tell someone they're attractive, it will be awful hard to meet people for the majority of the population. Bottom line, flirting should be completely acceptable. But if someone clearly states they're not interested, everything afterwards can be considered harassment.

False accusations should also carry equal punishment for the crime which the other person is being accused. If someone falsely claims someone raped them, they serve ten years in prison which the falsely-accused rapist would have served. False sexual misconduct means you lose your job, etc. Simply accusing someone can kill their career even if its false, and there needs to be protection against it.

So, I feel confident Tony is guilty of misconduct (as I am with nearly everyone in the world). Anything more than that is speculation. I also see where there is motivation for someone to falsely accuse him of something. But the fact it comes from Buzzfeed doesn't influence me in any way because they (along with basically every "news" organization) is just indoctrinating you with their twist so you think how they want you to think.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
This is revolting. I'm not a TR fan; I've never read any of his stuff. Never been to one of his events, and I probably never will.

But I can clearly see what is happening here: The script strikes back.

Don't try to seek out information to improve your life and break free from your corporate government overlords... stay asleep.

Don't try to achieve too much, unless it's in a video game.

You'll never be anything anyway, except a victim. And there is honor in victim hood. There is no honor in achievement and self improvement. Certainly no honor in amassing wealth take care of your family and descendants. That would be privilege. And there's nothing worse than privilege.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
keep calm and carry on is my mantra these days.

DaDream

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Apr 24, 2019
Miami Florida
Events like these are the reason sometimes I fear success. @487 told that fame is overrated. Today with the "Me too" movement and everything that is going on is really easy to fall prey of bullshit media and fake news and lose everything. Even a booming company doing great. All that needs to happen is for the merchant processor to withdraw their service. Chances are the company goes bankrupt.

The more you know. The less you want to know.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Does anyone else find the part where he admits he is not perfect but has never done anything close to crapfeed I mean buzzfeed claims very persuasive?

Edit: I hope he uses his money to go after them like Peter Thiel went after Gawker.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
BuzzFeed is internet cancer.

It's racist, sexist, steals content, and serves no purpose. It just generally needs to be stopped.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Edit: I hope he uses his money to go after them like Peter Thiel went after Gawker.

One could hope.

But I can clearly see what is happening here: The script strikes back.

Don't try to seek out information to improve your life and break free from your corporate government overlords... stay asleep.

Don't try to achieve too much, unless it's in a video game.

You'll never be anything anyway, except a victim. And there is honor in victim hood. There is no honor in achievement and self improvement. Certainly no honor in amassing wealth take care of your family and descendants. That would be privilege. And there's nothing worse than privilege.

This was my initial gut reaction after hearing some "non-PC" comments he made some time ago. After crossing the PC victim mob and their Scripted ideology, this doesn't seem unexpected, almost predictable. Character assassination of anyone who doesn't fall in line with the prescribed media narrative is the new normal. Just ask Judge Kavanaugh, Alex Jones, Pewdiepie, James Woods ... I can go on and on...

(#boycottbuzzfeed)

I can't boycott a media outlet that I never used, and never will. Hence the title of this thread is tagged with "Buzzfeed:" -- they own this shit.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
It's sad that in this day and age you can't believe anything you read or hear in the mainstream media. It's sad that you always have to be in a skeptical and untrustworthy mindset.

Don't agree or like someone? Accuse them of being racist or of sexual assault.

I find it hard to side with a news media company that rejects to see certain evidence or testimony.

I read Tony's open letter and it reads like it was co-authored by an attorney. :rofl::rofl:

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
One could hope.

This was my initial gut reaction after hearing some "non-PC" comments he made some time ago. After crossing the PC victim mob and their Scripted ideology, this doesn't seem unexpected, almost predictable. Character assassination of anyone who doesn't fall in line with the prescribed media narrative is the new normal. Just ask Judge Kavanaugh, Alex Jones, Pewdiepie, James Woods ... I can go on and on...

I can't boycott a media outlet that I never used, and never will. Hence the title of this thread is tagged with "Buzzfeed:" -- they own this shit.

After reading about group psychology I understand them.

Their audience is the frustrated mass of people often called sidewalkers.

1. These people always are looking for a villain to blame.
2. They also will lick the boots of any dominant figures/forces that offer them salvation around the corner for no effort of course. (Think gurus on STEROIDS)

Some really eye opening books are:

EDIT:
Events like these are the reason sometimes I fear success. @487 told that fame is overrated. Today with the "Me too" movement and everything that is going on is really easy to fall prey of bullshit media and fake news and lose everything. Even a booming company doing great. All that needs to happen is for the merchant processor to withdraw their service. Chances are the company goes bankrupt.

The more you know. The less you want to know.

The Art of War is getting one's enemy to mentally accept defeat. Why would you let people intimidate you from even trying to live your dreams and understand life's meaning?

It is how mega companies like Standard Oil got their opponents to roll over before they even did anything. The Script and rat race NEEDS you to believe you can't get off the rusty nail on your own.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Not a Tony fan, never have been.

But between Tony and these demon spawns from hell aka proponents of the #metoo movement / SJWs / radical feminists, I can totally see myself standing on his side.

The whole #metoo movement was legit initially, until it became a sorry joke, with these demon spawns suddenly coming up with stories about how so-and-so rape/molested/sexually harassed them, UNTIL it was proven to be false allegations. I'm not sure if the victims of these false #metoo allegations actually take these demon spawns to court and sue them to the ends of the earth.
It's because of these demon spawns that the whole #metoo movement has not been taken seriously like the way it should be. It has become a circus.

All of a sudden, you see these jokes from nowhere popping up one after another, claiming Tony molested/harrased them 15 - 25 yrs ago. We all get it. They want their 15 min of fame in the media, and possibly go on to write a book about their "suffering", and sell millions of it. Victimhood is actually a business.

If I'm a billionaire, I would launch a movement to clean up these sick diseases that is plaguing modern (western) society, starting with these SJWs / identity politics / radical feminism. Lobby for laws across the world to be changed, so that if a human commits a crime, regardless of gender, will be subjected to the same trial and punishment.

Look at how SICKENING society has become : https://nypost.com/2019/05/17/men-are-afraid-to-mentor-women-after-metoo-and-it-hurts-us-all-study/

What this means is, if you're Male Boss X and you told your Female Employee X off because she didn't show up for work 3 days every week, she can potentially turn around and say "Male Boss X made unwanted sexual advances" on me. The media would pick it up, the world will side with her, Male Boss X loses his company, it's the end of him.

We're now in the golden age of hypocrisy, where a single false allegation from Female Employee X is more powerful than a gun.

BlackPebbles

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 25, 2016
Careful now. Women are not ‘hypersensitive’ with the metoo movement, many are just not afraid to call out unwelcome bullshit anymore. Many. Not all.

There were fakers before it and there will be fakers after. If the movement makes people think before they open their mouths then the movement is working.

The root of sexual harassment is the “unwelcome” part. If you misjudge if it was unwelcome then that is on you. The alternative is for everyone to just STFU and do their jobs.

As someone who has had a lot of slimy, dumb shit said to me at work that I have brushed off, people touching me who had no reason to (that I was not permitted to choke out), and things happen that people wouldn’t dare do to males, let me say that “metoo” is about the shared experience that happens to literally all women and girls - and it sucks. I am not suing anyone but I have had more than enough grounds over the years at multiple employers.

If you don’t know, you don’t know.

Maybe Tony took his God complex somewhere it wasn’t welcome. Maybe he didn’t.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
The root of sexual harassment is the “unwelcome” part.
If Jesse flirts with Kelly without knowing it's "unwelcome" to Kelly, it is not harassment.
If you misjudge if it was unwelcome then that is on you.
If Jesse "misjudges" Kelly's interest and flirts with Kelly, it is not harassment and it is not "on" Jesse.
If you don’t know, you don’t know.
If Jesse flirts with Kelly when Jesse "doesn't know" if Kelly is interested, it is not harassment.
The alternative is for everyone to just STFU and do their jobs.
And stay single until they die and never procreate thus causing the human race to become extinct in 100 years all because a "movement" scared everyone into thinking they are a bad person and their life will be ruined for showing interest in a natural human desire of being sexual with another person.

Harassment would be doing these things after being informed by the other person that it's unwelcome. You just have to ignore the love stories like The Notebook which romanticize never giving up, and the stories of someone saying no to going on a date with another person a dozen times before falling in love and being married for 50 years.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
They really should have used their yellow "journalism" on a guy that doesn't have a billion dollars and a massive platform.

rollerskates

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Not a fan of Buzzfeed or Tony Robbins, IMO, it's probably a combination of half truths on both parts.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to me the 90s was rife with this sort of thing. I can't tell you how many times in that decade I was hit on in my various workplaces, a few of the times by whoever was the boss, people up the food chain, married men, engaged men, single men, women, even. The men's wives didn't understand them, of course. o_O

And this is a big part of why I hate people. :thumbsdown:

D

Deleted50669

Not a TR fan, but I can see it from both sides.

There is definitely an over-sensitivity culture now, to a point where I know for certain I will choose to be single until the day I die.

In the same breath, a couple of those direct quotes from TR are pretty concerning, though in my opinion, not surprising at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This is what happens when something get politicized that shouldn't be politicized.

Reputations are stained (or ruined) for political capital and alleged victims aren't believed.

No one wins.

Thank your media and the politicians who abet them.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Sad.

We are so hypersensitive that it precludes even having a conversation with the opposite sex in a work environment without a witness for fear of something taken out of context.

I recently had to reorder construction work signs that you see along the highway (yep, the big rectangular orange ones) for one of the DOT districts in our state because the head of the dept. demanded 'Workers Ahead' rather than the common 'Men Working Ahead'

She said she had a female worker on the crew.....

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Nice. About time someone with the pockets to fight back stood their ground.

Interesting to see how this plays out.

D

Deleted50669

Not a fan of Buzzfeed or Tony Robbins, IMO, it's probably a combination of half truths on both parts.

I don't know if it's just me, but it seems to me the 90s was rife with this sort of thing. I can't tell you how many times in that decade I was hit on in my various workplaces, a few of the times by whoever was the boss, people up the food chain, married men, engaged men, single men, women, even. The men's wives didn't understand them, of course. o_O

And this is a big part of why I hate people. :thumbsdown:
The culture has always been lopsided until recently. Some might say the current state of affairs is an 'overcorrection'.. now there are people making a huge deal out of things that could otherwise be resolved with a candid conversation. I believe another interaction variable to be the current communication trends; online broadcasting to stifle the opponent. It's not just #metoo stuff, anytime there are interest groups they systematically crush their targets by having a louder voice. This will ultimately lead to the government taking away our speech.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Not sure what I believe.

that was my take, I made it through like half of the buzzfeed piece and read tonys rebuttal and left saying "yeh maybe"

I don't see this as a career ending takedown though, thats for sure. "rich successful guy treated like a rockstar acts like a rockstar" is hardly news. Like OMFG , he had security pick out hot women for him to seduce?! oh wow stop the presses!

I can totally see tony having done all of this, I can also totally see it being out of context nothingness. Either way I'm not sure it amounts to something worth shunning someone for and I definitely don't think its going to harm attendance at his seminars or book sales moving forward.

in tonys defense (in regards to the victim culture thing) check this out

no where in that article does it mention the obvious pragmatic answer of just having cameras everywhere with no audio, and then it furthers the victim angle while not considering that normal men who wouldn't sexually harass female colleagues might just, yah know, choose to protect themselves by shunning those with two x chromosomes?

play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You should believe accusers sure yeh, but since the actual court of law takes a while to get at the truth but having your reputation smeered can happen overnight and have immediate repercussions, perhaps we should tone down the automatic manhate just a wee bit before it starts having a lot worse unintended consequences than just women not climbing the corporate ladder.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
and then it furthers the victim angle while not considering that normal men who wouldn't sexually harass female colleagues might just, yah know, choose to protect themselves by shunning those with two x chromosomes?
My wife actually brought that up the other day. Her take: "If you include women you get accused of sexual harassment. If you go full Mike Pence and don't include women for your own protection, you're a misogynist. It's actually impressive there isn't more sexism than there is."

ironman150

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jun 22, 2017
GREEN BAY WI
(Sorry formatting on my phone is a little rough today!)

Here I come to save the daaaaaay~

Here's his response:

Here's THE WOMAN THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT IN THE ARTICLE"
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ3kWMBJE5Y&feature=youtu.be

Here's the HEAD OF SECURITY:
View: https://www.facebook.com/alonzo.cahoon.3/videos/2621681007860212/

Here's the Founder of our biggest supported charity (you know, the ones defending women and saving them?)

2. Tim Ballard (Founder of Operation Underground Railroad)

YouTube:
View: https://youtu.be/1Gzi71asKMI

3. Sean Callagy:
View: https://youtu.be/yNehWJEeJaU

If you feel like helping us with getting this ridiculous thing down, you can do so here:

4. Change.org Petition: Sign the Petition (#boycottbuzzfeed)

Lots of people sharing this all over. Lots of headline reading. The article itself is a joke.

rep x-fer...............GREAT post

Fassina

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2018
Brazil
Tony is a good guy he'll be fine. He's the biggest one on the industry so it's surprising he hasn't been seriously attacked yet.

This was probably supposed to be an opening move so more / actual victims would come out, not an actual journalism piece. If nothing else surfaces he'll be fine and buzzfeed will shrug it off, if something does things get worst for him.

He shouldn't have openly criticized 'me too', that's a no upside thing, some conservative fans get a giggle, many liberal haters start seeing him as an enemy, for not supporting / dismissing abuse victims. It's fine to hold whatever view he likes, but he's a public figure, he should have known better.

Also criticizing a hit piece for being biased is kind of silly, that's the point. He's a potential enemy, they attack to see if you're good, if not they win big and make the world better, if you are good they may lose very little and annoy one rich guy.

It's a rigged game, trying to beat them at it is a bad idea. Deny, deescalate, befriend the owners, ask them for a 'Tony is cool article', and pretend it never happened..
Credibility never mattered to buzzfeed, it was never their goal. They want clicks, views and influence.

Again, Tony is a good guy, he'll be fine.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.