The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Profit, entrepreneur business turnaround show on CNBC

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Just recorded/watching first episode. Entrepreneur Marcus Lemonis comes in and turns around businesses. Much better than any other reality tv crap.

The Profit

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Anyone see the The Profit on CNBC?

It's pretty good...

First episode: Marcus "Fastlanes" a struggling business though the power of franchising.

Second episode: Marcus gets screwed on a deal by a trust fund baby who's still sucking on mama's teat -- the poor soul doesn't know jack shit about running a company.

Unfortunately, the 2nd show had a 60% ratings drop so we need some Fastlaner's to start tuning in!

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I watched them, not bad if you come at it with a "I'm here the learn something" perspective. The "entertainment" value is pretty low (as indicated by my family's interest) so it probably won't make it.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The "entertainment" value is pretty low

If you're referencing "the masses" then yea, I would agree -- I don't think your typical Sidewalker or Slowlaner would find it interesting enough to watch.

"I'm here the learn something" perspective.

IMO, there really isn't any other reason to watch TV unless you're trying to learn something.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Last edited:

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Damn... thanks for the tip. Time to set the DVR to record.

I caught the previews in the corner of my eye the other day with sound off, and I (wrongfully) assumed it was just another silly reality show for slowlaners.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Thanks for the tip, as I do not have reg TV, shows like this pass me by.

The show was Blah for me. The cash for cars. Have not seen episode 2 yet. Basically it is like kitchen nightmares, but for reg business, which is odd, cause I thought why do they not do it for reg business years ago when I saw The nightmares show.

What I liked, his thinking was spot on, 100 locations making $25k a month, 2.5 million a month. good little business. Very fastlane.

What I didn't like, the drama, and the BS. Now if the did like they bar show where they explained the why, that would be great.

Jason Murphy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Aug 11, 2011
Overland Park, KS
If you're referencing "the masses" then yea, I would agree -- I don't think your typical Sidewalker or Slowlaner would find it interesting enough to watch.

It's a sad sad world that shows like Real [FAKE] Housewives of Anywhere, Toddlers and Tiaras, Kardashians, and Honey Boo Boo appeals more to America. I guess it's easier for most of America to relate to shows with hugely disproportionate reality distortions than those shows that teach with a little bit of hard work they can actually have a better lifestyle.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
Love the show, good break in between the 1,000,000 episodes of American Greed they show everyday.

Yeah, they burn American Greed out. I guess the bling and quick money is more juicy than scaling a business.

I watched the used car dealership episode, I can't recall if I watched any others.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Love the show and hopes it lasts awhile. Although I think I heard he just committed to investing 2,000,000 in businesses for the purpose of the show.

Marcus was also on an episode of "The Secret Millionaire" and 2 episodes of "Celebrity Apprentice".

R

redshep

Had high hopes, but it looks like it's all 2nd generation-business owner psychotherapy. I wish they'd do a business show like ESPN's Sport Science, and break all the numbers down in a mad scientist kind of way.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
Had high hopes, but it looks like it's all 2nd generation-business owner psychotherapy. I wish they'd do a business show like ESPN's Sport Science, and break all the numbers down in a mad scientist kind of way.

My end-goal with the whole video marketing thing is to amass the equipment, people, and resources to create broadcast-quality shows for smart people. I honestly hope to start a legit fastlane.tv that people can learn from and self improve. The type of shows I wish I had right now to watch.

Kencan98

Fair Enough?
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 6, 2013
Long Island, NY
I watched both episodes and found them interesting. I like the "no bs" attitude of the show. I'm glad it's not another Shark Tank. I can't stand that show at all.

joncrx

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 13, 2008
Orange County, CA

IMO, there really isn't any other reason to watch TV unless you're trying to learn something.

Yep, agree too. I love the show and hope it makes. It's CRAZY to see the amount of Car Cash franchises after the show. Remember in the show there was the one location, and after the show, check this out.
1-800 CarCash - About Selling Your Car at 1-800 Car Cash.jpg

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
I'm a fan of the show. Definitely fits in with the Fastlane, in my opinion.

As other people have stated, I, too, am worried that it may not get a chance to shine, as the general American public doesn't really give a crap about learning anything. They don't want to see the process, they only want to see the results and "the dream." Hopefully this show will find a way to balance all that out to stay on the air for a while.

nevergiveup

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 17, 2013
NC
Watched both episodes last night, without this forum I would have never known this show exists because I do not watch a lot of TV. I think the show is great and is a good learning experience for current/future business owners.

Tony I

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Apr 9, 2013
MA
Watched the "car cash" episode, really enjoyed it.

Only thing is, what separates them from the individual wholesalers who buy cars from people and re-sell them? Is it because the have the space to store the cars and therefore can buy more? Or is it because as a franchise you can sell more directly to dealers?

Reason I am asking is that I know many individual wholesalers who do very well. Seems like a viable business model, although being an individual isn't scalable.

Mexidan

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Mar 28, 2012
Watched one episode and liked it although I felt a lot of it was ´acting´ more than ´business´.

Are there any other shows you guys feel is interesting and educational?

PeteLife

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jul 5, 2011
BALTIMORE/DMV
One of my new favorite shows... Thanks OP. Wouldn't have known about it since I don't watch TV.
Alot more drama than I'd like but the entrepreneurial lessons are topnotch.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
Watched episode three last night. It hit home with me. I was in an identical situation with a popcorn company on the Las Vegas strip. I was hired in as the CEO to turn things around. The owner was exactly like the woman tonight. After adding two new locations for the business I ended up walking as the owner was impossible to be in business with. Its sad as the profit in popcorn is INSANE.

Stef_h

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 30, 2013
CA
Watched episode three last night. It hit home with me. I was in an identical situation with a popcorn company on the Las Vegas strip. I was hired in as the CEO to turn things around. The owner was exactly like the woman tonight. After adding two new locations for the business I ended up walking as the owner was impossible to be in business with. Its sad as the profit in popcorn is INSANE.

Whoa crazy!

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I ended up walking as the owner was impossible to be in business with

This was the 2nd episode of 3 that the owner's turned out to be real asshats -- people that could not be trusted. Truly disheartening.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If you visit the URL's mentioned in the show it looks like he will still be launching a popcorn business online. Or maybe he sold the domains to the knucklehead. Not sure. I did sign up to be notified when they launch. :p

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.