The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Profit, entrepreneur business turnaround show on CNBC

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
This show is really good. A lot of great lessons. I can't believe I never saw it. Going to be catching up on Hulu for sure.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
Thanks for the reminder. Loved this show last season.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Just watching the new season. Astounding how much in denial people get about their businesses. Half the deals I think Marcus is actually nuts for even getting involved. Here he throws a miracle life line to these people and they nearly balk and resist nearly every change in their failing business! LOL

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

jec1521

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Oct 28, 2013
New Jersey
I watched the first episode of the 2nd season this morning. Great show. I will be catching up this weekend, for sure.

D

Deleted4952

i just watched episode 2,

but i actually came here to mention another tv show called:

"SAVE OUR BUSINESS" with peter jones from uk's dragons den

trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
I'm just now getting a chance to catch up on season 2. The first guy with the car dealership blew my mind. Only 20 cars on a lot that's more of a lounge than anything else. And $6.9 million in debt?!?! Wow.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
I saw episode 4 of season 2(Worldwide trailer sales) last night. It's so sad to see a company that is on the cusp of much greater things get held back by 2 childish owners.

Pete799p

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Aug 18, 2011
I saw episode 4 of season 2(Worldwide trailer sales) last night. It's so sad to see a company that is on the cusp of much greater things get held back by 2 childish owners.

I thought Marcus should have tried to buy out the delusional wife. Then he would have been able to blow the business up.

klm79

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 25, 2014
The toy episode last night was crazy. How dumb was the guy when it came to licensing?!?

Nascar...no one wants that despite the fact that we make toy cars.

SO many opportunities to license in that space....just think about Fast & Furious...Need for Speed for a few.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
לִפְנֵי־שֶׁ֥בֶר גָּאֹ֑ון וְלִפְנֵ֥י כִ֝שָּׁלֹ֗ון גֹּ֣בַהּ רֽוּחַ׃ [Pride precedes destruction, and an arrogant spirit before a downfall.]

This was why the early chapters of MJ's book were so profound, I think, in setting so many of us up for financial growth. Remember the lesson: Know who to listen to!

If you've only made $10,000 you listen with your mouth shut to somebody who's made 100K

if you've made 100K you listen with your mouth shut to someone who has made a million

And in the case of these episodes, if you've made 1.7 million and are only profiting $200,000, you sure as heck better shut up when somebody who has personally earned fifty million is telling you which way your business should go.

These episodes were almost too painful to watch. Four owners who ended up being "right," but as a result, will likely never be rich.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Just watched the toy company episode..... I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY with the utter arrogance and stupidity of the owners. Especially the father! Between the 3 of them, they built an underwater <$2M company that lost money. In comes a guy with several HUGELY successful businesses.... and they want to battle him?????? Underfunding / lack of capital is supposed to be one of the largest contributors to a business failing...... ego and emotional involvement has got to be up there. If you lost money, WHY IN THE HELL would you not be flipping over every rock trying to find out why. Have a guy come in and tell you why and not listen!?!?!?

I thought the biggest line to pull from the episode was the answers to the 'what keeps you up at night?' question from Marcus. That told all.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I thought Marcus should have tried to buy out the delusional wife. Then he would have been able to blow the business up.

the problem in buying out a partner is its pretty much dead money. investors want their new capital to go into the business to grow it, not into the lesser successful owners pockets.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Just watched the toy company episode..... I was COMPLETELY BLOWN AWAY with the utter arrogance and stupidity of the owners. Especially the father! Between the 3 of them, they built an underwater <$2M company that lost money. In comes a guy with several HUGELY successful businesses.... and they want to battle him?????? Underfunding / lack of capital is supposed to be one of the largest contributors to a business failing...... ego and emotional involvement has got to be up there. If you lost money, WHY IN THE HELL would you not be flipping over every rock trying to find out why. Have a guy come in and tell you why and not listen!?!?!?

I thought the biggest line to pull from the episode was the answers to the 'what keeps you up at night?' question from Marcus. That told all.

I thought the same thing. The part where the President insulted the NASCAR marketing officer was pretty ridiculous. That company will not be around for much longer, their arrogance is going to get the best of them.

klm79

Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 25, 2014
So Marcus has his 3 P's...Process, People & Product.

He really should add a 4th: Pride.

As in everyone he tries to help always lets their PRIDE get in the way of him helping make them MONAYYYY.

LOYD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 10, 2013
The newest episode is a big reason why I'm weary of the idea of having a business partner. That one guy felt he was entitled to 50% of their business when he only invested $2,000. And when it came time to do some work, he walks out. I hope they were finally able to delude his shares.

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Marcus' face here pretty much sums up the whole episode:

aoiKnWJ.jpg

D

DeletedUser394

I'm finding it harder to get into this show with each episode.

The antics of the business owners are becoming more and more ridiculous.

It's less about the numbers and more about the never ending bickering between these people. But hey, it's reality tv so I guess they've got to keep it interesting for the broadest viewership possible.

I still enjoy it, though if it makes it to season 3 I'm bowing out haha.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
I'm finding it harder to get into this show with each episode.

The antics of the business owners are becoming more and more ridiculous.

It's less about the numbers and more about the never ending bickering between these people. But hey, it's reality tv so I guess they've got to keep it interesting for the broadest viewership possible.

I still enjoy it, though if it makes it to season 3 I'm bowing out haha.

Yeh, after watching "Sweet Pete's" episode I'm beginning to feel the same way. I understand that every now and then one of the people involved in the business may be a total schmuck like the brother from the toy company, wife from the trailer company, and this recent guy from Sweet Pete's. However, all episodes this season have strayed away from the original format of the show and into typical "reality" type drama. I really hope they get the message and stop picking businesses with such dramatic dynamics for the sake of theatrics.

However, I'm sure they've realized in the past that the drama is what increased ratings, so our opinion might not matter much.

Trivium iz rC

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jan 23, 2014
The newest episode is a big reason why I'm weary of the idea of having a business partner. That one guy felt he was entitled to 50% of their business when he only invested $2,000. And when it came time to do some work, he walks out. I hope they were finally able to delude his shares.

^ I watched the most recent episode of the guy Daine, blew my mind. I actually find the past couple of episodes comical between the guy Daine from the last episode & the toy company brothers blowing the biggest opportunity in there lives away. Marcus tried to throw them every life line. And offer to make it work in Daines favor to give the guy a chance to gain equity of up to 15% if he just worked. Yet the guy Daine wanted the "Event" & didn't want to go through the "Process"

Marcus: So Daine how much money do you have in this business.

Daine: About 85K. Including the building ....... blah blah blah

Marcus: Thats your private asset, i'm talking about cash in the company.

Daine: Well I've got over 5k hours into this business..

Marcus: Daine how much money, not sweat equity everyone puts sweat equity into a business.

Daine: 2k

^ I couldn't stop laughing after that part of the show went on.

D

DeletedUser394

Now THAT was an episode worth watching. They clearly saved the best for last.

None of the over the top BS drama. Yes there was emotion, but it was clearly because of how the owner reacted to the changes. The entire way through he was cooperative and responsive.

And what a powerful moment when Marcus gave that lady a check for $15k.

A+ on that entire episode, the rest of this season was utter crap compared to this. Had me cheering and nearly crying by the end of it.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
Ok, thanks! It's not on the website yet. I will check again tomorrow...or check On Demand at midnight.

Just watched the Amazing Grapes episode...Wow this show is awesome!

Last edited:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Marcus is a saint. Nobody in their right mind would have invested in most of the businesses he has. Self entitled, stubborn, immature owners in total denial of their failures (granted editing for TV show probably has a little creative license here) that would be out of business very quickly without his generous offers.

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
Watched the Key Lime Pie episode last night, agree it was the best of the series. Finally, an owner that despite admitting to being a control freak, totally managed to surrender control of his business, listen, trust the process and change. Really good episode and a good 'high' to end the series on.

The most annoying episode I've seen i think was the one in series 1, the florist shop...wow, now THAT guy deserved to go bust. :headbanger:

RHL

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The show is like a case study on hubris. If somebody personally worth $50M tells you how to make money when you can't make payroll, you say "Yes" or "Yes Sir/Ma'am," and nothing else.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.