The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Inside The Mind Show" With MikeCarlooch - Marketing & Entrepreneurship

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Hey Kyle @Kak - have a question going back to this.

I have an opportunity to go and be an apprentice of an owner and CEO who is very successful in the addiction rehab space.

There's a couple of concerns I have -

1. It's got nothing to do with the industry I've stepped foot in
2. He is over 70 years old, not a young entrepreneur (not sure this matters)

Is this something you think is worth jumping on to get experience and knowledge, and spotting opportunity?

Or would watching the CEO of a company that's too big be out of the realm of practicality?

Obviously just asking for opinion, not a definitive answer.

Thanks!
It sounds like a great opportunity to learn!

I don’t know your whole situation, but thinking back on my 19th year of life, learning from a CEO would have been more beneficial to me than a bunch of gen ed garbage.

Learning business is learning an art. Everyone will have a different style and different industries they are attracted to. I don’t think it matters. You’ll have lessons you will probably recall for the rest of your life.

Over 70 wouldn’t bother me at all. I have a 70 something retired chemical CEO on my advisory board and he’s one of my best friends.

There’s no such thing as too big to learn from.

My apologies for the brief answers. Had a busy day and came down with something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
It sounds like a great opportunity to learn!

I don’t know you’re whole situation, but thinking back on my 19th year of life, learning from a CEO would have been more beneficial to me than a bunch of gen ed garbage.

Learning business is learning an art. Everyone will have a different style and different industries they are attracted to. I don’t think it matters. You’ll have lessons you will probably recall for the rest of your life.

Over 70 wouldn’t bother me at all. I have a 70 something retired chemical CEO on my advisory board and he’s one of my best friends.

There’s no such thing as too big to learn from.

My apologies for the brief answers. Had a busy day and came down with something.
Thanks, Kyle!

I'll let you know how it goes if i decide to try this out

theazizmoh_

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Apr 29, 2022
Man.. I'm excited for this..

Glad to announce my new show INSIDE THE MIND

Over the past 8 months on the forum, I've met some really awesome people who've done some AMAZING things, and I wanted to learn more about these individuals! (even though the show will not just be people on this forum)

What is the show about?

1. Online Publicity
2. Social Media Marketing & Growth Hacking
3. Entrepreneurship

Ready to listen to the first episode?

In this first episode, @Johnny boy gave me 40 minutes of his time to talk about growing his lawn care business, building relationships on the forum, great marketing advice, and much more..

Stay tuned

SPOTIFY: Click here

-Mike
I'm gonna be a guest at your show in the future

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Apr 24, 2016
In this episode I speak with @Kak of the Kyle Keegan Radio Show! You do NOT want to miss this one.. Kyle talks about his journey in entrepreneurship, how to make stuff happen using your phone, thinking BIGGER, great advice to new entrepreneurs, and SO MUCH MORE!

Here's a GEM Clip:

Ready to watch the full show?

SPOTIFY: Life, Liberty, and Entrepreneurship With Kyle Keegan

ENJOY !

Mike

I only just saw this - what an awesome episode with potentially life-changing advice. I love the way @Kak thinks and you @mikecarlooch are asking all the right questions.

You really could be homeless, penniless, and shit out of luck. But if you take a shower, buy a suit, and go to a decision-maker with market research and an actionable plan that convinces them you're the guy to get that shit started, moved forward, and finished - you might very well have a house to your name in the near future along with a killer case study to leverage for even bigger, better deals.

I like to think of myself as being someone's "lucky break". They've spent years building and stressing over their business, managing "quiet quitting" employees, mostly at breakeven. But then I come along, a free agent, and not long after, they're sipping whatever cocktail on a nice beach vacation - their first in years - raving on about me to their significant other, and getting some good sleep because they now have a cushion underneath them.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I only just saw this - what an awesome episode with potentially life-changing advice. I love the way @Kak thinks and you @mikecarlooch are asking all the right questions.

You really could be homeless, penniless, and shit out of luck. But if you take a shower, buy a suit, and go to a decision-maker with market research and an actionable plan that convinces them you're the guy to get that shit started, moved forward, and finished - you might very well have a house to your name in the near future along with a killer case study to leverage for even bigger, better deals.

I like to think of myself as being someone's "lucky break". They've spent years building and stressing over their business, managing "quiet quitting" employees, mostly at breakeven. But then I come along, a free agent, and not long after, they're sipping whatever cocktail on a nice beach vacation - their first in years - raving on about me to their significant other, and getting some good sleep because they now have a cushion underneath them.
What a great post, love it. Especially the little jab at quiet quitting. You know where I stand with that. :)

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Opinion: only join if you see value in learning ins and outs of the industry. Don’t do it if you just want to “learn from an entrepreneur”. You can learn a lot from reading and interacting with many other entrepreneurs (even just on this forum, using DM or threads like you do). But the best learning will happen by you DOING things for your business.
Ok yes this makes sense, I've always wondered if there was some kind of difference to be learning from someone in person rather than reading on forums.

Now that I think about it, when we type here on the forum, there's probably a lot more that we say that we wouldn't otherwise say if it was in person because there is more pressure to speak in the moment.
(Edit)
Let me clarify, you aren’t starting at zero. You aren’t fresh like I was when I was 18 or even early 20s. I was a stumbling idiot and I would have benefited from someone showing me the way. You are way ahead already. Way ahead. You can and should be choosing what is best for your current reality.
thanks for this, takes some pressure away.
I don’t follow. What is the question here? Can you rephrase please?
Sure what I meant by out of the realm of practicality was for the current situation I'm in. I was wondering if at this stage in my life where i'm in the beginning stages, seeing how a 100+ employee company is ran would be beneficial.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Sure what I meant by out of the realm of practicality was for the current situation I'm in. I was wondering if at this stage in my life where i'm in the beginning stages, seeing how a 100+ employee company is ran would be beneficial.

I see. What are your thoughts on this? What does your gut tell you?

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
Today we look inside of the mind of Steve Hilgart aka @Kung Fu Steve ! One of the most fun episodes yet!

Learn how to change your belief systems, learn some amazing marketing strategies, Jay Abraham, Steve's rags to riches story, experience working with Tony Robbins, business lessons, and SO much more..!

Enjoy :D

Holy crap, this episode was pure gold! Huge thanks to @mikecarlooch and @Kung Fu Steve for sharing this.

I've literally watched this 5 times and am still pulling gems out of it. I even forced my girlfriend to watch it with me...twice! :rofl:

This video inspired us to read Awaken The Giant Within together and go through every little exercise one by one to really make the most of the book.

Having watched the video a few times now, I still have a few questions for Steve:

1) Can you share more about the questions from Jay Abraham's questionnaire?

I'm curious about how he transitioned you from "oh crap, what am I going to do" to knowing what to do in order to grow your business.

The bit about doing what already worked was great (I'm definitely guilty lol) but I'd be curious to hear more about the questions Jay used to get you thinking differently about your situation.

2) Do you have any resources you'd recommend for creating a profitable email funnel/flow? (Stuff that relates to digital eCommerce products would especially helpful)

I know people are interested in the products (they're qualified leads) but I'm having a tough time converting my list to buyers. I think it's because I'm not doing a good job transitioning people from cold -> hot. The "sell anything" video by Tony that you linked above was very helpful, but I still feel like a caveman bumping around in the dark in terms of creating rapport and triggering the buying state.

I've tried several different approaches with email automation and the best I can do is a 1x on the amount I pay Klaviyo each month. Usually, I'm getting less than that though - aka the service isn't even paying for itself.

I see a huge opportunity with email as it's essentially the back end of my business. Even a 2x on my email performance would radically change what my business could do and how fast it could grow.

Any videos, books, courses, strategies, or tactics you could recommend here would be hugely appreciated.

3) Where can I learn more about your goal-setting methodology?

This was a huge shift for me and I can see why it's lightyears ahead of everything else I've tried. Setting and sticking to my goals has been a struggle for me so it's an area I desperately want to improve in.

Edit: Just found your video on the topic and my question was answered completely! The wheel metaphor is so spot on.

Here's the link for anyone else who's curious:
Goal Setting For Entrepreneurs (How to create metrics and track your progress)

4) Would you mind PM'ing me the video you mentioned here?
I have a super old video of him telling a story about a helicopter flying experience that is by far the most advanced hypnotic persuasive story I've ever seen or heard in my life. I'll dig it up and send it privately (even I'm not supposed to have this one haha)
I may or may not be quickly becoming a Tony fanboy haha. The dude is just a genius.

Thanks again to both of you for a great episode. Mike's questions were on point and Steve delivered a ton of value.

Last edited:

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hey Kyle @Kak - have a question going back to this.

I have an opportunity to go and be an apprentice of an owner and CEO who is very successful in the addiction rehab space.

There's a couple of concerns I have -

1. It's got nothing to do with the industry I've stepped foot in
2. He is over 70 years old, not a young entrepreneur (not sure this matters)

Is this something you think is worth jumping on to get experience and knowledge, and spotting opportunity?

Or would watching the CEO of a company that's too big be out of the realm of practicality?

Obviously just asking for opinion, not a definitive answer.

Thanks!
This sounds like a great opportunity. I have learned a ton from a mentor of mine. He is 80 years old and runs a business that has had as many as 250 employees. I think that is why he is such an amazing mentor - he has seen everything!

You should absorb everything you can, just always be listening

I should add that's peak employees. If I meant total employees who have retired, been fired, died, or quit over the last 40 or 50 years, it would be 1000+.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I see. What are your thoughts on this? What does your gut tell you?
My gut tells me no probably not and may lead me to overwhelming myself with things I don’t need to be doing at this stage and I shouldn’t until I get to a point where it makes sense to learn all of those things,

And maybe keep the option open for the future, maybe seeing the CEO as a mentor and asking about his early days or what he’d do better if he was starting over is a better idea

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
This sounds like a great opportunity. I have learned a ton from a mentor of mine. He is 80 years old and runs a business that has had as many as 250 employees. I think that is why he is such an amazing mentor - he has seen everything!

You should absorb everything you can, just always be listening
Didn’t think about that! So true..

Old people have seen the world… especially old people who are running massive companies for decades

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
My gut tells me no probably not and may lead me to overwhelming myself with things I don’t need to be doing at this stage and I shouldn’t until I get to a point where it makes sense to learn all of those things,

And maybe keep the option open for the future, maybe seeing the CEO as a mentor and asking about his early days or what he’d do better if he was starting over is a better idea

Here you have conflicting advice from variety of forum members. What can you do to have your cake and eat it too? Is there a 3rd alternative that helps you achieve your objectives?

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Holy crap, this episode was pure gold! Huge thanks to @mikecarlooch and @Kung Fu Steve for sharing this.

I've literally watched this 5 times and am still pulling gems out of it. I even forced my girlfriend to watch it with me...twice! :rofl:

Now I get to annoy multiple people at once! My evil plan is working...

This video inspired us to read Awaken The Giant Within together and go through every little exercise one by one to really make the most of the book.

Having watched the video a few times now, I still have a few questions for Steve:

I'm curious about how he transitioned you from "oh crap, what am I going to do" to knowing what to do in order to grow your business.

The bit about doing what already worked was great (I'm definitely guilty lol) but I'd be curious to hear more about the questions Jay used to get you thinking differently about your situation.

It's hundreds of questions but I can give you a recent example of a client/student of mine who increased his revenue by about 3 million (for the year) in 3 weeks

"Hey man, how many people are on your email list?"

"Like 9,000"

"Cool, when's the last time you sent them a promotion?"

"Oh, we never have."

"... Do... Do you think we should?"

"Yeah! That sounds like a great idea!"

I've got a little "self consulting workbook" I am starting to give away as a bonus in my super evil guru offer but here's basically what it is:

What's your annual revenue?
How many products contribute to that revenue?
What is the percentage breakdown of each of those products? Is that what it should be?
What has been your best advertising campaign?
When was the last time you did it?

The last couple questions there played a big role because I did a LOT of marketing for the karate school but one of the best campaigns I ever did was the "bring a friend contest" and just by asking the question, what was the best, and when was the last time I did it -- it was like "oh... Yeah I should do that again."

2) Do you have any resources you'd recommend for creating a profitable email funnel/flow? (Stuff that relates to digital eCommerce products would especially helpful)

I know people are interested in the products (they're qualified leads) but I'm having a tough time converting my list to buyers. I think it's because I'm not doing a good job transitioning people from cold -> hot. The "sell anything" video by Tony that you linked above was very helpful, but I still feel like a caveman bumping around in the dark in terms of creating rapport and triggering the buying state.

I've tried several different approaches with email automation and the best I can do is a 1x on the amount I pay Klaviyo each month. Usually, I'm getting less than that though - aka the service isn't even paying for itself.

I see a huge opportunity with email as it's essentially the back end of my business. Even a 2x on my email performance would radically change what my business could do and how fast it could grow.

Any videos, books, courses, strategies, or tactics you could recommend here would be hugely appreciated.

I teach a lot of this stuff these days. I've got some freebies coming out that'll show you everything you need but to get you started:

• Never start from scratch. Find a role model in your industry that IS successful. Don't copy them but model their success. I forget what you sell but here's 3 brands you should go sign up on their email list and pay attention to, and here's why:

1. The World’s Most Comfortable Shoes

0 to 277 million in 5 years. All email marketing

2.https://vuoriclothing.com/

0 to 4 billion in 7 years. All email marketing

3. https://www.therealreal.com/

0 to 468 million in 4 years. All email. Don't even sell their own stuff.

(Oh and those are all annual revenue not total lifetime sales... All email)

• You're probably not sending enough emails. I've got click sequences that I send 2 emails a day for 4 days and if they click on the emails, they get put into a deadline sequence where the get 2 emails, 2 emails, 2 emails, 6 emails

There's never too much only too boring.

• nobody reads every email so it's not only a good idea to repeat most of the same copy, it's mandatory. Nobody is hanging on your every word so you have to repeat yourself almost every email. Good for us because you don't have to come up with new copy every day.

3) Where can I learn more about your goal-setting methodology?

This was a huge shift for me and I can see why it's lightyears ahead of everything else I've tried. Setting and sticking to my goals has been a struggle for me so it's an area I desperately want to improve in.

Edit: Just found your video on the topic and my question was answered completely! The wheel metaphor is so spot on.

Here's the link for anyone else who's curious:
Goal Setting For Entrepreneurs (How to create metrics and track your progress)

Cool hope it's helpful!
4) Would you mind PM'ing me the video you mentioned here?

I may or may not be quickly becoming a Tony fanboy haha. The dude is just a genius.

Thanks again to both of you for a great episode. Mike's questions were on point and Steve delivered a ton of value.

I'm still trying to find it. I owe it to a couple people now. Think it's on an old hard drive

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Here you have conflicting advice from variety of forum members. What can you do to have your cake and eat it too? Is there a 3rd alternative that helps you achieve your objectives?
Would you mind expanding on this a bit thanks

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Would you mind expanding on this a bit thanks

Could the same person become your mentor at a fraction of the time commitment for both of you? Is that an option?

Obviously you’ll learn a ton from someone like that. And obviously you’ll learn better by doing than by watching. Doing your own business…
Meaning that if you had to stop your own business for becoming an intern for an entrepreneur is weighed against your own ability to do and grow on your own.
My question is, can you have your cake and eat it too? Get mentoring while doing your own business?

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
Could the same person become your mentor at a fraction of the time commitment for both of you? Is that an option?

Obviously you’ll learn a ton from someone like that. And obviously you’ll learn better by doing than by watching. Doing your own business…
Meaning that if you had to stop your own business for becoming an intern for an entrepreneur is weighed against your own ability to do and grow on your own.
My question is, can you have your cake and eat it too? Get mentoring while doing your own business?
Ahh I get it!

The answer is yes I can absolutely

Thanks I didn’t think about this, that sounds MUCH more in my zone

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida

@xShepherdx

1 google search lol, wasn't expecting to find it that fast but glad i did!

as someone who's never really dived into jay yet, there's a ton of these awesome pdf's from him on scribd. Not sure if they're supposed to be paid or not

Last edited:

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho

@xShepherdx

1 google search lol, wasn't expecting to find it that fast but glad i did!

as someone who's never really dived into jay yet, there's a ton of these awesome pdf's from him on scribd. Not sure if they're supposed to be paid or not
Wow, I guess Google should have been my first move haha. Thanks for taking the time to look for and share those Mike!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Get mentoring while doing your own business?
Providing a B2B service is like getting mentoring while doing your own business. Your clients will mentor you via the sole of their boot on your backside...

mikecarlooch

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
The Inside The Mind Show is BACK!

In this episode I speak with Robert Detore.

He is the founder of Correctional Health Services which was sold to Prison Health Services (for an amount which is revealed in our talk), he is the former mayor of Verona, New Jersey, and currently serves as the CEO of a chain of addiction centers called TurningPoint in various locations of New Jersey.

He’s been the leader & founder of a company that had 250+ employees

What you guys may find interesting about this episode, and what I found very interesting in this conversation, is that Robert and I are at two completely different stages of life while having this conversation.

He is not an entrepreneur who became successful recently, but has been successful for many many years into his 70's. The true definition of an entrepreneur with wisdom which can only come from the scar tissue of process.

Whether you are already successful in business or are just starting, this conversation will interest you.

For me personally, I saw this as a 1 on 1 mentorship with someone who's been through it all, and got some really amazing insights into my own direction in entrepreneurship, and I hope it does the same for you.

@Kak @Antifragile I think you'll specifically like Robert, because as shown in this episode he is extremely in line with your ways of thinking about business. He never started with 0 employees. He had to influence and inspire the right people to join him.

Here it is:

View: https://youtu.be/addSMKC7Hzs

Enjoy!

-Mike

Last edited:

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
The Inside The Mind Show is BACK!

In this episode I speak with Robert Detore.

He is the founder of Correctional Health Services which was sold to Prison Health Services (for an amount which is revealed in our talk), he is the former mayor of Verona, New Jersey, and currently serves as the CEO of a chain of addiction centers called TurningPoint in various locations of New Jersey.

He’s been the leader & founder of a company that had 250+ employees

What you guys may find interesting about this episode, and what I found very interesting in this conversation, is that Robert and I are at two completely different stages of life while having this conversation.

He is not an entrepreneur who became successful recently, but has been successful for many many years into his 70's. The true definition of an entrepreneur with wisdom which can only come from the scar tissue of process.

Whether you are already successful in business or are just starting, this conversation will interest you.

For me personally, I saw this as a 1 on 1 mentorship with someone who's been through it all, and got some really amazing insights into my own direction in entrepreneurship, and I hope it does the same for you.

@Kak @Antifragile I think you'll specifically like Robert, because as shown in this episode he is extremely in line with your ways of thinking about business. He never started with 0 employees. He had to influence and inspire the right people to join him.

Here it is:

View: https://youtu.be/addSMKC7Hzs

Enjoy!

-Mike
Finally

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content