The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The innovative, value-skewed product thread. List interesting, innovative products here.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I thought it would be cool to have a thread of products that are innovative and value skewed. Cool spins on old products, or even completely new innovative products.

It could serve as inspiration and reference points for people who want to come up with their own stuff to show them how easy it is to take an existing product and make it better.

I have a creativity habit that I took from Steve Jobs that involves exposing myself to new things. If you expose yourself to things like these it becomes second nature to start innovating your own products that add value.

"It comes down to trying to expose yourself to the best things that humans have done and then try to bring those things into what you’re doing. Picasso had a saying: good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas, and I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians and poets and artists and zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

"If you're gonna make connections which are innovative ... you have to not have the same bag of experiences as everyone else does, or else you're going to make the same connections as everybody else, and then you won't be innovative, and then nobody will give you an award."

Anyway, the Steve Jobs quotes weren't the best introduction for the product I'm about to post, but whatever... you get the idea. Here's one product I found interesting:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5jY2D8R8c

Let's face it, toilets are unsightly. I think being able to hide them in a bathroom not only makes the bathroom look better, but it also more sanitary.

Any other products you find that have a positive value skew?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Damn, no love for this thread yet? Anyway, I thought this product @Vigilante listed was pretty cool:

your typical Mace keychain looks like this:
What woman is actually going to want to keep that on their keychain? I think the feminine design of @Vigilante 's product is brilliant.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
That mace product made me think about S'Well.

It's a 100 million dollar company that started by making pretty water bottles.

Now, it makes other everyday products pretty.

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Great Post man so even a little skew to a random physical product is enough to make it unique than the competitors and start making sales correct me if i'm wrong

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Great Post man so even a little skew to a random physical product is enough to make it unique than the competitors and start making sales correct me if i'm wrong

It depends on the little skew and on the random product.

Only the market can answer that question.

Some small changes can lead to big bucks. Some could lead to no bucks.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Gotta say I love this topic & the strategy of using ideas from outside a domain to create value skew.

Innovations from unexpected places:
  • Using ant behavior to increase traffic flow for vehicles & data transmission: Taking Traffic Control Lessons — From Ants
  • From Jay Abraham:
    • Ice cream cones: both ice cream & rigid wafer cookies had been around for centuries before ice cream cones were invented.
    • Toilet paper: How did no one think of this earlier?
    • Roll-on deodorant: The applicator was copied from ball-point pens.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
In general yes. If you can offer a better product for the same price, many people will jump on that. In some cases you can even boost the price. For instance Vigilante's Mace product. What woman would want an ugly old mace keychain, when they can have a stylish one for a similar price? Actually I feel like more women wouldn't use the ugly one just for that reason. Especially fashion-conscious ones. By giving it a unique twist, it increases the value.

Why would you carry around an ugly water bottle, if you can have a stylish one like @Rawseed linked to.

Or a discrete, flushable pregnancy test:

This just goes to show that a little creativity goes a long way and can inspire people to create their own value-skewed products.

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
In general yes. If you can offer a better product for the same price, many people will jump on that. In some cases you can even boost the price. For instance Vigilante's Mace product. What woman would want an ugly old mace keychain, when they can have a stylish one for a similar price? Actually I feel like more women wouldn't use the ugly one just for that reason. Especially fashion-conscious ones. By giving it a unique twist, it increases the value.

Why would you carry around an ugly water bottle, if you can have a stylish one like @Rawseed linked to.

View attachment 26453

Or a discrete, flushable pregnancy test:

View attachment 26454

This just goes to show that a little creativity goes a long way and can inspire people to create their own value-skewed products.

Awesome very good examples excuse me for my late replay dear

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Gotta say I love this topic & the strategy of using ideas from outside a domain to create value skew.

Innovations from unexpected places:
  • Using ant behavior to increase traffic flow for vehicles & data transmission: Taking Traffic Control Lessons — From Ants
  • From Jay Abraham:
    • Ice cream cones: both ice cream & rigid wafer cookies had been around for centuries before ice cream cones were invented.
    • Toilet paper: How did no one think of this earlier?
    • Roll-on deodorant: The applicator was copied from ball-point pens.
I feel like sometimes the aspiring entrepreneur when he can't find a problem to solve at the moment he waits till he finds that problem instead it would be better for that individual to skew value instead because thats also gonna improve your problem solving vision

Madman1996

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Oct 9, 2017
Netherlands
Here's a video that covers how Harley Davidson and South West skewed their value proposition:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt_28d-WGg
Lol I did go to that website it seems like a business school or college something are you familiar with that site are those resources trust worthy when its about entrepreneurship iam very sceptical alot of fake content out there anyway thanks for sharing brother

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.