The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The "Astonishing Secrets" Thread

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
BTW, there are ideas and there are ideas... For instance, if you have an idea for a product (as opposed to a service) - you could easily test the licensing route, as a low cost and low risk way of getting your feet wet.

[ I'm still working in that direction, as ] It allows you to concentrate on your added value (the concept/design) and let the heavy lifting go to the people/companies who already know how to do that.

Also, if you are in search of ideas, here's a really interesting talk I heard recently. Danny is a really good guy & this is worth a listen (the first 2 1/2 minutes is *not* indicative of the content.) He runs the center for entrepreneurship @ Brown University, but he's practical and not "too" academic in his presentation, on:
Bottom-Up Research: The Most Critical Skill in Entrepreneurship

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
Also, if you are in search of ideas, here's a really interesting talk I heard recently. Danny is a really good guy & this is worth a listen (the first 2 1/2 minutes is *not* indicative of the content.) He runs the center for entrepreneurship @ Brown University, but he's practical and not "too" academic in his presentation, on:
Bottom-Up Research: The Most Critical Skill in Entrepreneurship

This video has more value than one may think.
Highly recommend. EXCELLENT.

G

Guest64655

You will get the ice cream soon, my friend. And we will proceed to get drunk, sing, dance, and break things.

@IceCreamKid Inifinite thanks for your thread and awesome posts!<3

So far, I'm only at page 1/38 but already so ice creamy! I want more. Lol
You know at some point I wondered if you are this person I saw on many YouTube videos lately...

I love your vibe indeed! And I like your way to write. Copywriting well done! Specially the images with the ice cream/icre cream shop.

It's surprising how you stay zen in everything you say (on this 1 page :)). Like with the peorson who was in a negative mindset, you came not bothered. Yes it fits with the Love everyone priniciple.

Soon, we will sing and dance together with our ice creams! :)

Apo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2019
London
What’s up guys. Some of you may remember me from my thread in which I thanked zen******* for dropping wisdom bombs all over the world. If you haven’t checked that thread out, please take a look at it and get moving with learning copywriting so you can learn how to print your own money(legally).

I’m starting this thread because Z told me to share the ice cream with others. I have mad respect for the guy so naturally it had to be done. By golly, all I used to have was a little pint of ice cream for myself and now I have an ice cream factory for everybody to eat from! There is a seat reserved for you at the table of abundance, but it’s up to you to work for it.

I will be explaining the secret Zen side of the Dolphin that he never speaks of, but has become glaringly obvious to those who study the WHY and HOW behind his posts.

But before I dive into giving you some ice cream, a little bit about myself…

27 years old. Was a wantrepreneur for a long time, but didn’t even know it. Yup, I ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Started a bunch of different businesses for all the wrong reasons so I ultimately failed at each one. A few years into it, I finally hit the bottom and got sick of the shit life I was living so I wrote into my journal and started reflecting. It went something like, “I’m tired of who I am. Tired of the life I’m living. Tired of seeing all my friends get ahead in their corporate job while I’m here trying to figure things out. Just sick of my life in general”. Bottom line, I was at my lowest point and the fire under my a$$ was burning so hot that I had no other choice but to take some dedicated immediate action to get real results…or risk being forever frustrated in the hamster wheel of the 9-5.

Studied zen*******’s posts very closely and began to read in between the lines of what he was saying. I wasn’t looking for business strategies. I wanted to know and understand the mindset behind the madman. Why was he doing X? How was he doing Y?

Started learning copy. I read some books and copied some sales letters by hand for a few months. My day looked something like this: Work the 9-5. Go home pissed as hell at my boss. Drink, write copy, drink, write copy, pass out drunk. Repeat for a long time until I got a good grasp of writing copy. I don’t recommend drinking to learn copy…ice cream seems to work pretty well too. Drinking is fun though…I’d rather burn as bright as a 1,000 watt bulb and burn out in 10-minutes than live life like a 10-watt bulb for the next 40 years.

Armed with my new knowledge of copy, I set forth to start a software business. While interviewing many different people in many different industries, I discovered a real need that couldn’t be solved online but could be taken care of offline…I prefer offline businesses anyway so I jumped into it head first. You can start an offline business faster because you don’t have to spend months on software development.

30 days later my sales were in the low 5-figure range. Let me tell you…when you go from making crap money and barely scraping to get by, to suddenly making 5-figures a month the feeling is sweeter than a gallon of ice cream.

That’s my story in a nutshell. I left out a lot of the details of the mental struggle: broken heart, angry parents, isolated friends, etc.

I will respectfully decline any requests to disclose what my business is. This forum was once a close knit group of homies, but with the success of MJ’s book there are now tons of new members and a few took the liberty of stealing from some of the greatest contributors here. The mindset is 80% of the game anyway and that’s what I’m trying to teach here.

On to the lessons…
Thank you for sharing your experience, I can relate to what you wrote and can agree that self discipline and never giving up will pay off. What kept you going? Whether it was an activity or thoughts, what kept you motivated to reach your goal?

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
…I’m actually quite happy with my 2001 Nissan Maxima, my Levi’s jeans, and my sweatshirt.

I loved the 2001 Maximas. I had a 93 that was great. Currently rocking an Acura that has 215,000 on it. God I love that car.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
What’s up guys. Some of you may remember me from my thread in which I thanked zen******* for dropping wisdom bombs all over the world. If you haven’t checked that thread out, please take a look at it and get moving with learning copywriting so you can learn how to print your own money(legally).

I’m starting this thread because Z told me to share the ice cream with others. I have mad respect for the guy so naturally it had to be done. By golly, all I used to have was a little pint of ice cream for myself and now I have an ice cream factory for everybody to eat from! There is a seat reserved for you at the table of abundance, but it’s up to you to work for it.

I will be explaining the secret Zen side of the Dolphin that he never speaks of, but has become glaringly obvious to those who study the WHY and HOW behind his posts.

27 years old. Was a wantrepreneur for a long time, but didn’t even know it. Yup, I ain’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Started a bunch of different businesses for all the wrong reasons so I ultimately failed at each one. A few years into it, I finally hit the bottom and got sick of the shit life I was living so I wrote into my journal and started reflecting. It went something like, “I’m tired of who I am. Tired of the life I’m living. Tired of seeing all my friends get ahead in their corporate job while I’m here trying to figure things out. Just sick of my life in general”. Bottom line, I was at my lowest point and the fire under my a$$ was burning so hot that I had no other choice but to take some dedicated immediate action to get real results…or risk being forever frustrated in the hamster wheel of the 9-5.

Studied zen*******’s posts very closely and began to read in between the lines of what he was saying. I wasn’t looking for business strategies. I wanted to know and understand the mindset behind the madman. Why was he doing X? How was he doing Y?

Started learning copy. I read some books and copied some sales letters by hand for a few months. My day looked something like this: Work the 9-5. Go home pissed as hell at my boss. Drink, write copy, drink, write copy, pass out drunk. Repeat for a long time until I got a good grasp of writing copy. I don’t recommend drinking to learn copy…ice cream seems to work pretty well too. Drinking is fun though…I’d rather burn as bright as a 1,000 watt bulb and burn out in 10-minutes than live life like a 10-watt bulb for the next 40 years.

Armed with my new knowledge of copy, I set forth to start a software business. While interviewing many different people in many different industries, I discovered a real need that couldn’t be solved online but could be taken care of offline…I prefer offline businesses anyway so I jumped into it head first. You can start an offline business faster because you don’t have to spend months on software development.

30 days later my sales were in the low 5-figure range. Let me tell you…when you go from making crap money and barely scraping to get by, to suddenly making 5-figures a month the feeling is sweeter than a gallon of ice cream.

That’s my story in a nutshell. I left out a lot of the details of the mental struggle: broken heart, angry parents, isolated friends, etc.

I will respectfully decline any requests to disclose what my business is. This forum was once a close knit group of homies, but with the success of MJ’s book there are now tons of new members and a few took the liberty of stealing from some of the greatest contributors here. The mindset is 80% of the game anyway and that’s what I’m trying to teach here.

On to the lessons…

This man said the mindset is 80% of the Game... and here my dumbass is thinking that 80% of the Game is just having the right idea... thank you IceCreamKid.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Dude, are you alright? I'm really sorry to hear about your health issues. It's hard to stay on top of your game when you're not feeling like a 10 physically...it impacts everything else.

Weightlifting actually played a huge role in my business progress, but that's a story for another day. In the real world, I actually don't eat any snacks because they spike your insulin which cause you to feel tired and lethargic.

I read James Altucher's book too. I actually took huge issue with how he says you should come up with ideas. Walking around with a notepad and just noting down whatever comes to mind...meh, that didn't work for me. I really like his writing style though.

What worked for me was getting out there and talking to people. Pick up the phone. Face to face. Belly to belly.

Please read my 2nd post again. The one about loving the hell out of others. Make yourself truly present to others and get them to feel that you truly understand where they're coming from. They will tell you their greatest fears, hopes, and dreams...There lies the key that unlocks pandora's box. They will tell you their needs, pains, and struggles once they trust you and feel you understand them. You will become a better friend, lover, and businessperson. You cannot be selfish because this will blind you.

Shoot...didn't @MJ DeMarco 's million dollar idea come to him while he was just driving a passenger around in his limo?! MJ made himself present and truly listened to the guy! He didn't let his brain wander off thinking about the latest episode of The Bachelorette.

You don't need to come up with ideas. Make yourself present to others and the ideas will come to you. Don't push for ideas. Pull for them. How do you become present to others? Love them. Truly.

I'm telling you, there's a crazy spiritual side to business. That's what I'm trying to explain.

I truly wish you the best of health though. That's #1. Take care of yourself. Forget the ice cream, that leads to diabetes.

Gym. Tan. Laundry.
Mind. Blown.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas

SinisterKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 21, 2020
Copenhagen, Denmark
@IceCreamKid You will be glad to know that some of us are taking action after reading your post, what?
6 years after you posted?

Please notice my username.
I recently made a new account just to make this name, SinisterKid.
Why?
Because SinisterLex, currently known as @Lex DeVille, and ICK have changed the way I look at entrepreneurship!

What have these two role models done for me?
Well, I'll try and boil it down for ya.

If you have Mindset Issues, then read this full thread!

If you Need an Idea, read ICK's thread on that (it's marked GOLD!)

Read Lex' 15-Day Copy Challenge NOW!!!
The perfect mixture of learning and Taking Action.

.. Since reading these threads I've finally
started taking Active Action. (See what I did there, Lex? ;))

ICK told me to contact 100 people in a niche and learn their pains and needs.
Lex got me to JUST DO ET.

Now I've scheduled meetings with personnel within my target niche.
Next week I'm going out to meet them, expand my network and
learn how I can help THEM. Not the other way around!

These guys and gals are thrilled to be meeting with me because
I've let them known that I will be meeting with them to
help THEM.

Hope this inspired some of ya'll stuck in Fear Mode.

Contact people and let them know you are there to help them.

Get that Ice Cream cuz DA ICE CREAM MAN IS COMIIIIIIIIIN'.

SinisterKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 21, 2020
Copenhagen, Denmark
Update on Meetings and Phone Calls With My Niche

Just got off the phone with a "Development Officer" in my niche and
he invited me to come out and see their operations to
really learn about
their processes and potential pains/needs!

I was pretty nervous at first...
I have previously had jobs selling over the phone and
also in person, but I definitely have to get back in the
mode, haha.

My question-asking was a little rusty and I was saying
"uhmm" a lot.

No worries though!
That just means I have room to improve!
If you knew, that after 15 phone calls you would
discover a need or get a presale, how fast would you be
trying to call customers?? Pretty quickly, right?

I recorded the convo to study it and learn from my mistake
#MambaMentality <3

@IceCreamKid Am I doing this right?
What question would you be asking? (I feel like mine are very broad)

... To conclude.
I was scared.
I sucked.
I Got invited to see the operation.
I LEARNED.
I overcame a fear.

YOUR TURN :)

P.s, I hope it's okay I am using this thread to keep people posted.
I have found tremendous value in this thread and would love to see people
learning, failing and overcoming with me and I found this thread to very relevant.

If it's a problem just lmk and I'll make my own thread.
Anyways, thanks again ICK and LD :* <3

SinisterKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 21, 2020
Copenhagen, Denmark
Oh man....

I'm getting a lot of rejections right now. Sprinkled with some flakey appointments.

I'm starting to have doubts.
Not about the process. I don't mind continuing to taking action like this, but am I doing something wrong?
Or should I just keep going through the motions?

My goal is to contact 100 people in my niche, but I need help convincing them that
I am literally contacting them to help out.

A lot of the people I get in contact with seem too proud to admit or see that their processes could be
optimized.
How can you help someone who doesn't want help?

Man...If anybody has any insight into this please help me out.
I make sure that the emails are about them and not about me.

Oh well, back to emailing.
Can't break my spirits!

SinisterKid

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Feb 21, 2020
Copenhagen, Denmark
BTW...
Just because I'm not updating ya'll doesn't mean I'm not working!

I'll make sure to get back when I have something relevant.

Right now it's interviewing my network for problems to solve.

Might've stumble upon something.

Rim

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jan 27, 2020
France
thank you for this topic I intend to read the 32 pages, I am on page 2 and really thank you because I feel less alone in my entrepreneurial adventure which for the moment is fulfilling but does not give significant monetary results

Gicu

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 22, 2020
Munich
Could someone tell me who Zen or Z**** is?
I suppose he was an user here. Can i somehow find his posts?
Lots of thanks
Gicu

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Here is another "astonishing secret" folks :clench:

Silverback_77

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Apr 20, 2020
Switzerland

On to the lessons…
Even if this thread was written 10 years ago, it is still awesome as of today. I'm new here but it will definetly inspire me in my journey to financial freedom!!
Thank you for this mate, much appreciated!!

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Could someone tell me who Zen or Z**** is?
I suppose he was an user here. Can i somehow find his posts?
Lots of thanks
Gicu
DeletedUser2

PS in the queue for ice cream

BIC

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 31, 2020
Vancouver
I understand that it has to actually fit somewhere in the market, but am I wrong to think that most needs have been exposed by competition. I would think by now that dog food companies no what the customer want. I know zen******* loves competition; therfore, in the end isn't the product solving the same problem, but just might look different or have a different brand or marketing tactic, than the competition.

Supplements are an example that comes to mind, because my understanding is that a ton of those companies are selling private labeled goods to solve the same weight loss problem. If you look at the ingredients, most of them are the same. So are we really looking for something that different???

I'm not looking for the next Facebook, I get you need to understand your customer, but isn't that more about marketing than it is about you physical product???

I have no idea if you are still active and I'm still reading through this thread, but thank you for continuing to push deeper in finding pain points/problems that you can solve. I have all the same thoughts/hangups as you as I go through this process and am so glad to see your efforts to dig deeper and deeper. This thread is most definitely gold thanks to ICK and many others that are involved in it.

D

Deleted50669

The greatest lesson of all...

LOVE THE HELL OUT OF OTHERS AND YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE ALL THE ICE CREAM YOU CAN EAT.

The hell? This is a @zen******* secret? It is, and let me prove to you why.

When you love others with a genuine heart, you become more present to their feelings which include their pains and needs. You approach them from the position of, “How can I improve this person’s life? How can I add value to this person’s life?” as opposed to, “Where can I get money? COME ON GIVE ME THE MONEY!”.

This is the mindset I see a lot of people have: “The XYZ market is a $50B market and is about to explode 30% within the next 2 years. I’m going to get into that and get a piece of the pie!”. The ice cream shop has the right to refuse service to anyone and does not serve those with that mindset. We only serve ice cream to those who love others and solve their pains. Well, maybe we’ll offer plain vanilla to the 99% who don’t.

Do you think someone will tell you their pains and needs if you genuinely show them that you want to help improve their lives? Or are they more likely to tell you their pains if you approach them from the angle of, “Hey would you buy this product from me? Come on, buy it!”

When you love the hell out of others, you begin building a brand with a noticeable heart. Customers WILL notice this and you will develop a loyal following. They will tell their friends and post it all over Facebook. You notice how In n’ Out Burger has a loyal following of fans? That’s because they show love for their employees and love for their customers by striving to always satisfy everyone’s needs. It’s a hamburger joint with a friggin’ culture. I love it. The employees are always joyful as hell. The company has HEART and SOUL. Compare that to the majority of other fast food joints who are just a cold cash taker.

Sometimes it’s not always about profit. Love others first and the ice cream will come.

I’ve never met zen******* in person but his whole vibe OOZES of love, heart, honor, and integrity. He wants to help you better your life. He doesn’t fear the success of those he mentors. I would trust that guy with a $100,000 personal loan. He obviously doesn’t need my money, but you get my point. I bet you a bunch of people bring him deals and opportunities to partner up simply because of his vibe of love and integrity.

Love others. Drop the greed because it will blind you to opportunities for more ice cream around you. When you harness this mindset for a long enough amount of time, you will see the abundance of possibilities and realize the ice cream is everywhere. Fear and scarcity WILL be replaced by confidence and abundance.

@JackEdwards wasn't lying when he said, "The moment you stop caring about money is the moment you start making money". Respect to you, good sir.
To this day coming back to this post sets my a$$ straight.

sonny_1080

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
I hate calling entrepreneurship as business. It is just too formal. This is a journey of the self to reach a higher self. Having a business is only a result of this endless path of learning.
So true.

Jacques141

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Apr 10, 2021
Ljubljana, Slovenia
First I want to say that this is an awesome thread. Thank you for sharing.

Reading through the first few pages I've noticed that some people, including me, think that they don't deserve to be successful and they don't even think they can achieve that millionaire status anyway. The struggle is real when you know what you want to do in life and something in you just doesn't give.

On my journey, I've discovered that changing beliefs begins with you and with seeking answers. You have to be aware of the facts, the data behind the belief, and if it's not a belief you want and you want to change it, you have to seek facts that present you with the truth about believing A as opposed to B. Belief B being the one you want to adopt. If firm facts don't change your beliefs, try imagining yourself in a tough spot or literally put yourself in a position to then get a mini FTE out of it. Essentially putting yourself in a position you never want to be in again. :D

On that note, I'd like to share a TEDx video about how to spot what makes you mentally weak and how to deflect it and change your environment accordingly. Spoiler: DELETE YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA.

Wiggly0607

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 1, 2013
Ohio
wow. I've been on these forums for about 8 years now and I started reading this thread like three years ago, never finished, bounced around, came back to the forums, and decided to read the entire thread in 24 hours. Crazy. So much knowledge gleaned going through these posts.

And some new lessons learned: stop being a dummy and chasing every shiny new book, program, or forum. I'm back for good. Just became an INSIDERS. Ready to help others.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Some of the gold threads here are really GOLD. Can we have a new tag like “epic GOLD”? This is great. Bump to get newer members like myself to read.

Edit:
@IceCreamKid - did you write a book yet? If you didn't, I'll copy every word you posted here, make it sound like a guru I met in India who changed my life and title it "The Astonishing Secrets Steve Jobs told you... exposed". I'll make a fortune for very little work. Race to the finish line? Let's get drunk on ice-cream booze.

@OleksiyRybakov - read this thread.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!