The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The Art Of Conversation

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Someone asked for tips about becoming a better conversationalist.

I'll start by saying I wasn't always a good conversationalist, and was in fact excruciatingly shy in school and college.

I got better as I got older, and especially when I realised everyone is in their own little bubble where they mostly only care about their own hopes, dreams, and fears.

I realised no-one cares about me in particular, but most people are friendly. So if I say a cheery "How's it going?" as a greeting when I walk past people then they often say hello back.

Getting over yourself and not thinking about yourself helps a lot, and this makes everything in life and business easier too.

Getting comfortable with small talk can help you get started.

You can practice small talk in shops and with waiters who are often surprised people speak *to* them. Give them something to latch onto that's easy to answer.

A cheery "How's it going? Nearly the weekend eh?" to someone on a till could have them saying "Yeah, roll on Saturday!" or "Yeah, but I still have to work this weekend." Then you can mumble in agreement and the exchange is over. The trick is to not overdo the conversation or force it when it's not going anywhere. Take the cue from them. Some are relieved to speak to someone and will then say something to keep the conversation going. Some won't and that's ok. You could have brightened up someone's day by just being a friendly face ... and never underestimate the effect this could have.

As for conversations themselves... make it about *them*. I believe every person alive is passionate something and also stressed or worried about something. My job is not to ferret either out, but that belief makes me observe and listen more closely.

Active listening is the most important part of being a good conversationalist. As the saying goes, "To be interesting be interested."

Other ways to get good is to talk to older people. They figured a lot of this out and are happy to give others the limelight.

Conversation and communication was brought up in a recent call. I believe it was somewhere in the middle? I'll find the timestamp later.

Here's that call:

And here's a chat with @xShepherdx about (my thoughts on) the role of conversation in business and sales:

Curious what your thoughts and advice are.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Artiom O

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 10, 2021
Someone asked for tips about becoming a better conversationalist.

I'll start by saying I wasn't always a good conversationalist, and was in fact excruciatingly shy in school and college.

I got better as I got older, and especially when I realised everyone is in their own little bubble where they mostly only care about their own hopes, dreams, and fears.

I realised no-one cares about me in particular, but most people are friendly. So if I say a cheery "How's it going?" as a greeting when I walk past people then they often say hello back.

Getting over yourself and not thinking about yourself helps a lot, and this makes everything in life and business easier too.

Getting comfortable with small talk can help you get started.

You can practice small talk in shops and with waiters who are often surprised people speak *to* them. Give them something to latch onto that's easy to answer.

A cheery "How's it going? Nearly the weekend eh?" to someone on a till could have them saying "Yeah, roll on Saturday!" or "Yeah, but I still have to work this weekend." Then you can mumble in agreement and the exchange is over. The trick is to not overdo the conversation or force it when it's not going anywhere. Take the cue from them. Some are relieved to speak to someone and will then say something to keep the conversation going. Some won't and that's ok. You could have brightened up someone's day by just being a friendly face ... and never underestimate the effect this could have.

As for conversations themselves... make it about *them*. I believe every person alive is passionate something and also stressed or worried about something. My job is not to ferret either out, but that belief makes me observe and listen more closely.

Active listening is the most important part of being a good conversationalist. As the saying goes, "To be interesting be interested."

Other ways to get good is to talk to older people. They figured a lot of this out and are happy to give others the limelight.

Conversation and communication was brought up in a recent call. I believe it was somewhere in the middle? I'll find the timestamp later.

Here's that call:

And here's a chat with @xShepherdx about (my thoughts on) the role of conversation in business and sales:

Curious what your thoughts and advice are.
Yeah, it's true that small talk helps you get started. You're also starting to get noticed by others more too.

As a side effect, people get more interested in YOU.

Lyzmin

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Jan 30, 2023
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Quality content again Andy, thanks!

"To be interesting be interested."

Strong quote and so true.

Recent example. This week is my first week at the Freezlab (experiment of going daily).
Every time I go there I'm ten minutes early to see if I can strike up a brief conversation with someone.

So far a few people who didn't really respond (got the message).
Others who enthusiastically tell me about the benefits the experience from cryotherapy.

Asking more questions and being an active listener really helps.

Braun

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 28, 2019
Thanks for sharing this Andy.
As someone who lost hearing on one side I can say that I now pay more attention to who and what I listen to and realize that some people are surprised that I actually listen to them.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Some people will hate this, find it cliche, or incredibly dorky, but Dale Carnegie's book "How to Win Friends and Influence People," in my opinion, is the ultimate resource on becoming a great conversationalist, networker, and of course, forger of friendships. It's also very helpful for dating.

Best tip from the book: say people's names when speaking to them. Everyone loves hearing their name.

The other is to ask them questions...and then shut up.

AppleTree

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jun 27, 2023
I think I've heard this trick somewhere online but try talking to old people! They usually have less contact with people and are more willing to engage in a conversation with a complete stranger. Since they're older, they often have more wisdom and you can engage in very interesting conversations with them.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
The easiest way is to be curious! Just like you, Andy, mentioned in the call how you find people interesting, taking the same interest and asking them questions, small or big, will drive any conversation, at least for a while!

Ask open ended questions, i.e. the ones you can’t answer with a simple yes or no.

Take the pressure off speaking and listen instead, as they answer your questions, and dig deeper.

Every now and then, if you related to something they said, go ahead and share your story.

Genuine compliments go a long way too.

Raedrum

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Jul 30, 2019
100% accurate I've always been a good conversationnalist and it get better with age.

The trick is indeed to talk about them. People are so self-centered and active listening is so rare nowadays that just being able to listen make them deliver you their life, their secrets, everything.

Even strangers, it is scary in fact.

Now if you have a little culture about everything and can bounce on what they're saying, brbrbrbrb you gonna get everything on everyone and make a damn lot of friends.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
100% accurate I've always been a good conversationnalist and it get better with age.

The trick is indeed to talk about them. People are so self-centered and active listening is so rare nowadays that just being able to listen make them deliver you their life, their secrets, everything.

Even strangers, it is scary in fact.

Now if you have a little culture about everything and can bounce on what they're saying, brbrbrbrb you gonna get everything on everyone and make a damn lot of friends.
Showing the slightest signs of interest now wakes people up from the sleep of life. It's strange to see it in person. Recently, I've watched minor gestures of attention create total transformations in complete strangers.

Attention, interest, listening, gratitude, love, strong values... They're foreign concepts today (which makes them more powerful than ever).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.