The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The allure of "easy money"

Anything related to matters of the mind

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The downside to PPC arbitrage or direct affiliate marketing is that you're cracking open the champagne and celebrating when visitors LEAVE your website.

It can be a quick way to build capital, learn traffic acquisition skills, and buy data about demand and supply.

'The Purpose of a Business is to Create a Customer'
(Peter Drucker)

Who is your customer when you're converting your visitors into someone else's customers?

I've worked for companies doing the PPC arbitrage and affiliate marketing on massive scales. The problem with them all is that they can't get out of that mindset. They are so busy making cash, that they don't build customers.

The problem with being an affiliate is that Google for one will hate you, so your traffic source can be turned off instantly (ask me how I know). The other problem with being an affiliate is that the offer you've worked for months getting profitable can be pulled in an instant. So no control either end.

The other BIG problem for you is that your average visitor life-time-value (LTV) sucks compared to the competition. Unless you're being smart about it, you're not building a list that you can sell to repeatedly. So your earning-per-click (EPC) is rubbish compared to businesses that can. So you can't bid much. So you get minimal traffic. You're then living off scraps that fall off the table. The only way to make it work is to get super good at PPC, and scale to hell.

There's benefits alright, if you know what you're doing, and for the data you acquire, but by the time you've skilled up, you would have built a proper business anyway.

It's the difference between building a business with foundations, or building a cash making machine on sand.

I liken the allure of PPC arbitrage and (direct) affiliate marketing to going to Vegas and playing the slot machines to make extra cash.

What's the worst thing that could happen to you if you started on the slot machines?

You could win.

You might make $1k a day profit. You might get a bigger mortgage, a bigger car, bigger credit cards, and a bigger lifestyle.

Then what would happen?

You could end up losing more than you have now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump. Nice read. Just read it, month later.

A

Angus

solution? don't get a bigger mortgage, a bigger car, bigger credit cards, and a bigger lifestyle.
money is money

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
solution? don't get a bigger mortgage, a bigger car, bigger credit cards, and a bigger lifestyle.
money is money

No, the solution is to create a business with 'legs'. YOU build the systems. YOU sell the product/service. YOU drive the traffic. YOU capture the leads. YOU create the offers. YOU do the testing. YOU have the control.

You can make a LOT of money driving PPC to affiliate offers. But that cash stream can be taken away at any moment by either the traffic source or the offer source. Why not play by the traffic sources rules, and build the offer yourself? Why not collect the customer as your own, so you can sell them more stuff down the line?

Playing defense is step one. All of this is playing offense.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last edited by a moderator:

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Google is not the only traffic source, and even if an offer is pulled, there is always another similar offer to swipe right in. I know people like to push people away from affiliate marketing around here, but it's kind of ridiculous that it always seems to come from people with very limited experience or a small-minded view of the overall industry. I mean really, "Google hates affiliates", as if Google is the only traffic source? Affiliate marketers will have a business as long as there are new products/services being released, aka forever. Product owners will have a business as long as their product is successful.

Affiliate marketing is nothing like gambling in Vegas, in fact creating your own product/offer is more like going to Vegas, unless you first do the research and test the market. Guess what's the best way to test your idea/market before developing your own product? Selling someone else's and seeing if it's viable. I was just watching a video a couple of days ago of a guy who runs a company that does over $12m revenue, they are always bringing out new products, but they test the market first by running affiliate offers.

No offense, but this is literally one of the worst posts I've read around here in a while, and I love your other posts but I think speaking about affiliate marketing is something you should stay away from if you don't know much about it. I mean the whole part about making money and then "You could end up losing more than you have now"? Please indulge us on how a successful affiliate will all of a sudden forget his data and his testing, and simply blow through 6 figures because omg affiliate marketing sucks.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
@Angus ... You're still at the mercy of the traffic source, and the offer being pulled.

More importantly, your margins are so low that you can't get much traffic, and worse, you can't do anything about it.

A related post:

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/your-goal-is-to-increase-cpcs.52525/

Oh god, and it keeps getting worse. "Margins are so low that you can't get much traffic"? Many affiliates frequently run offers at 200%-300% ROI. Please stop, I understand you maybe tried affiliate marketing back in the day, and you only used Google, so now to you THAT is affiliate marketing, but stop giving people bad advice.

This is what you are basically saying, if you were talking about creating your own product: Creating and owning your own product/service is a horrible idea, because I tried to write a book one time and it failed.

It makes no sense because 1) Writing books is not the only way, and 2) Just because you were doing it wrong or failed for whatever reason doesn't mean everyone will.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
^^^ Fair enough. You're right. I can only speak from my experience.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
No, no. Your opinion is valuable.

I think this is a great conversation. I will add more of my thoughts to it later. I am not knocking affiliate marketing, arbitrage, or any other label we put on making money.

I am just talking about how the mindset of chasing "easy money" can get you into real bother if you're not careful.

I have worked in too many businesses that make so much money without adding real value, that they invest in infrastructure and then go pop when the inevitable happens, and can't divert any resources to making "slower" but more sustainable money because they measure the success of projects on how much money they can make in the shortest time possible.

If it came across that I am knocking any form of making money, then that was my bad for not being clear enough.

So thanks for your input, if it means this thread is now more useful with your thoughts and my clarifications, then it's a job well done by both of us.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Google is not the only traffic source, and even if an offer is pulled, there is always another similar offer to swipe right in. I know people like to push people away from affiliate marketing around here, but it's kind of ridiculous that it always seems to come from people with very limited experience or a small-minded view of the overall industry. I mean really, "Google hates affiliates", as if Google is the only traffic source? Affiliate marketers will have a business as long as there are new products/services being released, aka forever. Product owners will have a business as long as their product is successful.

Affiliate marketing is nothing like gambling in Vegas, in fact creating your own product/offer is more like going to Vegas, unless you first do the research and test the market. Guess what's the best way to test your idea/market before developing your own product? Selling someone else's and seeing if it's viable. I was just watching a video a couple of days ago of a guy who runs a company that does over $12m revenue, they are always bringing out new products, but they test the market first by running affiliate offers.

No offense, but this is literally one of the worst posts I've read around here in a while, and I love your other posts but I think speaking about affiliate marketing is something you should stay away from if you don't know much about it. I mean the whole part about making money and then "You could end up losing more than you have now"? Please indulge us on how a successful affiliate will all of a sudden forget his data and his testing, and simply blow through 6 figures because omg affiliate marketing sucks.

You're obviously an affiliate advocate, so I was just wondering, have you had success or achieved financial independence through selling affiliate offers?

I recently started doing PPC with my own product and it resulted in a decent sized loss (~1k). I was advertising in Facebook. After my failure, I was told that I should reallye xpect to lose up to 50k before successfully dialing in PPC on affiliate offers or my own. That number just seems way too high and risky for someone just getting started. Maybe I was misinformed?

Also, a major turnoff for selling other people's offers, in general, is that it is a constant hustle. Offers are being pulled, you need to add new ones. Adding new ones means learning how to speak to a new market, and getting in a new market's head.

To validate your own offers with other's products is often not as easy as plucking an identical offer out of thin air and just trying to sell it. For example, I am considering a new innovative cat carrier design, and the closest "affiliate offer" was reselling a competitor's carriers. There were some other offers (like PetMeds), but to me that market is "different enough" from carriers because it fulfills two totally different value props. Maybe I'm wrong.

And at the end of the day you go through ALL that effort of learning the affiliate offer's market, learning the affiliate offer's product, learning the best channels for that affiliate offer...and you still don't have a business with an exit strategy. You're still hustling EVERY day to sell offers, create ads, etc...as you say, forever. And you don't really know for sure that your own similar product offering will sell as successfully as any of those affiliate offers unless its a complete product swipe. (Which is fine in some cases but I don't think the "affiliate first" strategy applies to all products across the board.)

I can only speak from my experiences too..but I was heavily urged to sell affiliate offers before creating my next offer and I can't say I'm too convinced.

Was just interested to hear your response to something like that.

G

GuestUser113

You're obviously an affiliate advocate, so I was just wondering, have you had success or achieved financial independence through selling affiliate offers?

I recently started doing PPC with my own product and it resulted in a decent sized loss (~1k). I was advertising in Facebook. After my failure, I was told that I should reallye xpect to lose up to 50k before successfully dialing in PPC on affiliate offers or my own. That number just seems way too high and risky for someone just getting started. Maybe I was misinformed?

Also, a major turnoff for selling other people's offers, in general, is that it is a constant hustle. Offers are being pulled, you need to add new ones. Adding new ones means learning how to speak to a new market, and getting in a new market's head.

To validate your own offers with other's products is often not as easy as plucking an identical offer out of thin air and just trying to sell it. For example, I am considering a new innovative cat carrier design, and the closest "affiliate offer" was reselling a competitor's carriers. There were some other offers (like PetMeds), but to me that market is "different enough" from carriers because it fulfills two totally different value props. Maybe I'm wrong.

And at the end of the day you go through ALL that effort of learning the affiliate offer's market, learning the affiliate offer's product, learning the best channels for that affiliate offer...and you still don't have a business with an exit strategy. You're still hustling EVERY day to sell offers, create ads, etc...as you say, forever. And you don't really know for sure that your own similar product offering will sell as successfully as any of those affiliate offers unless its a complete product swipe. (Which is fine in some cases but I don't think the "affiliate first" strategy applies to all products across the board.)

I can only speak from my experiences too..but I was heavily urged to sell affiliate offers before creating my next offer and I can't say I'm too convinced.

You could just drop what you are doing and join Limu. It has solid leadership, out-standing products & has a great compensation plan.

of course this is a joke. just like affiliate marketing.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
No, no. Your opinion is very valuable.
I think this is a great conversation. I will add more of my thoughts to it later. I am not knocking affiliate marketing, arbitrage, or any other label we put on making money.
I am just talking about how the mindset of chasing "easy money" can get you into real bother if you're not careful.
I have worked in too many businesses that make so much money without adding real value, that they invest in infrastructure and then go pop when the inevitable happens, and can't divert any resources to making "slower" but more sustainable money because they measure the success of projects on how much money they can make in the shortest time possible.
If it came across that I am knocking any form of making money, then that was my bad for not being clear enough.
So thanks for your input, if it means this thread is now more useful with your thoughts and my clarifications, then it's a job well done by both of us.

Thanks for not taking it as a personal attack, I just think because of the low barrier to entry, affiliate marketing gets a bad rep, and there are so many ways to do it, people tend to associate it with the one way that they were exposed to it. Clicked on a banner ad that promised to make $5000/day by pushing a button and then you bought the program and it didn't work? Affiliate marketing now doesn't work. Bought a shady product that promised you would lose weight and you didn't, and it was referred to you by an affiliate? Affiliate marketers are scam artists.

At the end of the day, affiliate marketing is almost the same as owning your own offers without the overhead. If you associate affiliate marketing with scammy pay per lead offers or surveys or zip submits, of course there's no longevity. If you understand you CAN work direct with advertisers selling high quality products/services, and get up to 50% and sometimes higher of a cut without their overhead, and you understand how to eventually parlay this data that you collect into your own gig later, then affiliate marketing becomes much more valuable.

In essence, right now I have no interest in being a car manufacturer, I'll be the dealer. Bring me your multi-million dollar creations, I'll try to get them out the door. If they don't convert well, or don't sell enough to cover the cost of housing them, you take them back and I stop selling them. That's where the control comes in as an affiliate marketer. You don't take any risk, once you know what you're doing. Down the line, maybe I get bored of selling other people's cars and decide to create my own, but I use the information I gathered from years of selling other cars, to know what sells to what demographic, what time of the year or what day of the week is best for what vertical, etc. Compare that to someone just trying to outright create their own car without ever having sold one before.

Yes I already cleared 6 figures revenue this year, maybe 60% profit or so? Most of it came in the past 4 months or so, something just clicked and I started seeing affiliate marketing for what it really is, and not a quick way to make money. That's when it finally blew up for me. Also, what I make is probably chump change to some affiliates out there, and many of them, probably a few on this forum, eventually move on to creating their own offers.

I'm not really an affiliate advocate, I just don't think it deserves the bad rap it gets. It's a much deeper industry than what most people associate it with. $50k is definitely way too much, I don't know who came up with that number. If you need to lose $50k before getting the hang of it, selling isn't for you. You probably wont make it happen with affiliate marketing or your own thing, either. I maybe lost $3,000-ish before it started turning around for me, and I know people who spent a lot more, and a lot less. It's like anything. Some people's first business venture is a resounding success, for other people it takes 4 or 5 tries.

You're not really hustling every day to sell offers or create ads either. You can, I mean if you're constantly scaling, and I'm sure that's how 7 figure affiliates do it, but if you find a good reliable offers and can make it convert at a 300% ROI, you can sit on that for a long time. Again, someone can make their own offer, put in all that work and hope it turns out well, or I can choose from hundreds of offers that I already know work and start making money on it immediately. I can try Coalission's Weight Loss Pill Xtreme, or I can just run Sensa or Weight Watchers and collect data while getting paid for it.

Everything you said is exactly right, it isn't always as simple as swiping offers, and being able to successfully push someone else's product doesn't mean yours will work, but that's exactly my point. I can push the same type of product, without the overhead, and sometimes make as much if not more than the person who created the product in the first place. Product doesn't sell? I don't have to sit with a failed business venture on my hands, I move on to a different offer.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
You could just drop what you are doing and join Limu. It has solid leadership, out-standing products & has a great compensation plan.

of course this is a joke. just like affiliate marketing.

Yes, just like real estate is a joke because Carlton Sheet's method doesn't work. Spare us the bullshit, please.

A

Angus

No, the solution is to create a business with 'legs'. YOU build the systems. YOU sell the product/service. YOU drive the traffic. YOU capture the leads. YOU create the offers. YOU do the testing. YOU have the control.

You can make a LOT of money driving PPC to affiliate offers. But that cash stream can be taken away at any moment by either the traffic source or the offer source. Why not play by the traffic sources rules, and build the offer yourself? Why not collect the customer as your own, so you can sell them more stuff down the line?

Playing defense is step one. All of this is playing offense.
of course that's not your long term goal as an entrepreneur
however, doing business is better than reading about business. if you wanna do that i don't see any problem, eventually you'll grow, learn and use your knowledge for something better

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
of course that's not your long term goal as an entrepreneur
however, doing business is better than reading about business. if you wanna do that i don't see any problem, eventually you'll grow, learn and use your knowledge for something better

Exactly, affiliate marketing doesn't have to be the end game, neither does importing and selling on Amazon, etc.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I'm not really an affiliate advocate, I just don't think it deserves the bad rap it gets.
I'd say this is where you and I really converge. I think affiliate offers are great, and selling them can be awesome...it definitely gets a bad rep. But I also think people look at it as an end game and "easy money".

There's nothing easy about affiliate marketing. And it's definitely not an end-game. I guess that just shows it depends how you look at it.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
I think learning to be a successful affiliate is an invaluable skill, no matter which path you ultimately decide to take.

Yes, being an offer owner/product creator will typically garner the highest ROI, as you get to keep 100% of the revenue and not split any of it with the network(s).

Yes, being an affiliate is not "fastlane" because you're not actually building your own business, and only helping others grow their businesses.

But if you can't properly sell someone else's products/drive leads for them when most of these affiliate offers out there doing heavy volume already have optimized funnels and are proven to convert, chances are you will have a pretty hard time doing it for yourself with a brand new product, zero experience running traffic, untested funnels, landing pages, ect..

IMO, I view affiliate marketing as a school. And one of the most important skills you'll learn in this school is how to buy traffic. If you can be successful at buying traffic for affiliate offers, you can be successful at buying traffic for your own offers and products.

And there's much, much more to buying traffic than just setting up an Adwords campaign with a few ads, keywords and spending money.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Hey @Coalission I'd like to hear more about your affiliate experience, do you have any progress threads or posts of that kind on the forum?

My intro post is about the closest thing: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...-ged-no-college-i-am-doomed-to-failure.50777/

I haven't done a progress thread because it would really come off as more of a brag thread than anything. I don't have much to share because I can't give up traffic sources or products for competitive reasons, it'll just be like "Update: woke up today, already $1,452 profit", "Update: finished day with $5,000+ profit" and stuff like that, nothing really valuable. Also, most people here have a negative view on what they think affiliate marketing is, so I just rather not stir up those debates in a whole separate thread, I just address them as I see them.

I think MJ had good intentions on having people diversify and not counting on just "one" of anything, but by singling out affiliate marketing instead of saying one supplier, one client, etc., now people here despise the distribution/affiliate model as a whole. Until he addresses it, people will still insist on creating products before learning how to sell them, and I don't see a Millionaire Fastlane pt. 2 coming just to fix this lol. I learned this the hard way, after like 4 or 5 failed product ideas, that creating products is probably the easiest part of starting a business. There's a rude awakening once you try and get distribution.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
Yes, being an affiliate is not "fastlane" because you're not actually building your own business, and only helping others grow their businesses.

Your post is spot on, only thing I'd disagree is this. As an affiliate, distribution IS your business, same as Best Buy, same as Walmart, same as any other company who doesn't create their own products, but distributes instead. If you take it as one, you can be very successful, you can have your exit strategy (look up how much marketing companies end up selling for), you can outsource and live on an island somewhere if that's what you want, etc. If you take it as a get rich quick scheme, then that's what you'll get, something quick, and not necessarily rich.

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
As an affiliate, distribution IS your business

I was going to bring up this same point. Very well spoken. I love intelligent responses and conversations.

I have spoken with most of the guys (on both sides of the 'argument') in this thread in private skype convos before. They are all awesome people and more than willing to help others out.

I think Coalission's last post summed up what his thread was really intended to be about as many people outside of affiliate marketing only see it as the get rich quick scheme that it can be if you are reckless and aiming to do more of a smash and grab.

Done right, affiliate marketing can be your fastlane or a huge stepping stone to your fastlane. But only if you do it right.

'The Purpose of a Business is to Create a Customer'
(Peter Drucker)
Smash and grab doesn't serve any customer - These are the guys google hates. AM as a fastlane serves the offer owners as its customer - Google likes these guys and has agency accounts just for them.

Maybe a thread or post should define what the differences are between a smash and grab affiliate vs a fastlanes affiliate for everyone to better understand.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
IMO, I view affiliate marketing as a school. And one of the most important skills you'll learn in this school is how to buy traffic. If you can be successful at buying traffic for affiliate offers, you can be successful at buying traffic for your own offers and products.

And there's much, much more to buying traffic than just setting up an Adwords campaign with a few ads, keywords and spending money.
Absolutely. I couldn't agree more.

people will still insist on creating products before learning how to sell them
I think you and MJ are aligned on that one.

Me too... I think that's the biggest benefit of using paid traffic anyway - you get to find out what you can sell so that you can go and make it.

Maybe a thread or post should define what the differences are between a smash and grab affiliate vs a fastlanes affiliate for everyone to better understand.

I think we're trying to do that here. :)

"Smash and grab". Lol. What a great way of describing it.

I tried to distinguish between those type of affiliates and other affiliates by calling them "direct affiliates" in my OP. That obviously wasn't sufficient.

Plus, this statement was wrong:

More importantly, your margins are so low that you can't get much traffic, and worse, you can't do anything about it.

That statement applies to search engine arbitrage where you can't "rewrite queries". If you can find your own angles as an affiliate, you can do very well.

IMO, I think the big difference is more a mindset thing than what people are actually doing. It's more about WHY people have chosen whatever model they are using.

@Coalission is capturing customer details, getting to know the products he sells inside out, and obsessing about marketing, copywriting, conversion-oriented design. That's not a "get rich quick" or "smash and grab" mentality.

I gave up trying to work out the difference between me being an agency for a business, and the affiliates that send leads to that business. Am I an agency because the business pays for the campaigns and I manage the campaigns for them? Whilst affiliates pay for the traffic out of their own pocket? Except I have a few clients where I pay the advertising bill, and charge that to them along with my fee on top.

So that can't be right.

Also, Google loves booking.com and the yellow pages. Even though they pay the AdWords bills and in turn get paid by the businesses that Google wants to access but can't.

And Google loves you using Adsense to "subsidise your AdWords spend", but will fry you for "arbitrage" if they think your only monetisation strategy is through advertising.

Maybe I'm not smart enough to tie it down well enough...

Or maybe it really is more a case of the intent behind the business model, and whether you are trying to help people get what they want, or just "make money".

In my mind, "the first purchase is a test", and a customer is someone who has a "custom of buying from you". If you're not offering any value at all, then they're not going to come back to you... aka no customers (and no referrals either!).

Saying that, I've no qualms with using PPC arbitrage or smash and grab affiliate marketing to buy data quick and dirty. I'm just wary of where that can lead if you get really profitable - having seen businesses "seduced by the dark side" so to speak. So I don't do it or work for businesses that do anymore.

But would I recommend to my list a particular Wordpress theme that I use to create landing pages, and do it via an affiliate link? Damn right I would!

As you can see, I don't have the answers to this one, so am interested in your thoughts. :)

(FWIW @Coalission I think you'd have a great progress thread. When I was in IMGrind, pretty much all their "follow-alongs" were by mobile affiliates. They were always told to not disclose their traffic source, and often not the offer too. Threads would have a lot of stats for others to help them with. But I always found the most interesting posts were the ones about learnings and mental breakthroughs. I loved seeing how people would work their way through the "dip" and come out the other side a different person. Many were truly humbling and inspiring to read. I think you'd be a great advocate of affiliate marketing done right, and your mindset and journey would inspire others. No need to put monetary values in there at all.)

Last edited:

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Your post is spot on, only thing I'd disagree is this. As an affiliate, distribution IS your business, same as Best Buy, same as Walmart, same as any other company who doesn't create their own products, but distributes instead. If you take it as one, you can be very successful, you can have your exit strategy (look up how much marketing companies end up selling for), you can outsource and live on an island somewhere if that's what you want, etc. If you take it as a get rich quick scheme, then that's what you'll get, something quick, and not necessarily rich.

That's a good point.

Positioning yourself as a company and not just an affiliate does change things quite a bit. For example, if you own a web property (like CreditKarma) that gets a commission every time a visitor signs up for a credit card through you, that's certainly a fastlane business you can sell that uses the affiliate model.

I'd say it just depends on how you run your business that gives you something you can build yourself and sell later (if you want). But if you're just direct linking affiliate campaigns and aren't adding anything proprietary to the mix, that's not something you're building for yourself or that would have much value to others in terms of selling your campaigns as a "business."

Last edited:

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
(FWIW @Coalission I think you'd have a great progress thread. When I was in IMGrind, pretty much all their "follow-alongs" were by mobile affiliates. They were always told to not disclose their traffic source, and often not the offer too. Threads would have a lot of stats for others to help them with. But I always found the most interesting posts were the ones about learnings and mental breakthroughs. I loved seeing how people would work their way through the "dip" and come out the other side a different person. Many were truly humbling and inspiring to read. I think you'd be a great advocate of affiliate marketing done right, and your mindset and journey would inspire others. No need to put monetary values in there at all.)

Hey Andy, loved your posts over on IMG. Really glad you're continuing to share your insights over here as well. :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey Andy, loved your posts over on IMG. Really glad you're continuing to share your insights over here as well. :)
I saw your name and wondered... Good to connect again man! :)

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
I saw your name and wondered... Good to connect again man! :)

Likewise. :)

I also think this is a great place for us to discuss these topics, as the varying opinions on the subject really help to look at things from a much bigger perspective. Not just the one-dimensional "smash and grab" approach that affiliate marketing is typically associated with.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Old, but worth a bump.

Are you “just” making money, or building a business?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.