The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Testing the market's need for your product

Marketing, social media, advertising

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France
Hello everyone,

How do you test the market's need for your product?

I started my Fastlane journey a few months ago when I joined this forum. I had a product idea that could help a lot of people, and I've been building this product for a few months. I'm not yet done, and I'm starting to think "What if no one wants what I'm building".

I then listened to an entrepreneurship podcast on Spotify (the name of the podcast series is: "Acquired", go check it out, I'm sure you'll love it) I heard the story of a founder who before even starting to build his product, created a landing page with a brief description of his product, and an option for users to enter their emails if they were interested in the product he was to build.

Unfortunately, he didn't give any more detail, but he said that this made him know if actually what he is building will be needed by someone somewhere. I've decided to follow this approach and go through the same process. I've identified a few tools online to create landing pages. My approach will be to purchase Facebook ads and target people that I think might be interested in my product.

So, I'm wondering.
Has anyone gone through this approach? if yes, what will be your advice to me please?

Does anyone have a different approach to test the market's need for a product?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hong_Kong

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Apr 7, 2022
Hello everyone,

I started my Fastlane journey a few months ago when I joined this forum. I had a product idea that could help a lot of people, and I've been building this product for a few months. I'm not yet done, and I'm starting to think "What if no one wants what I'm building".

I then listened to an entrepreneurship podcast on Spotify (the name of the podcast series is: "Acquired", go check it out, I'm sure you'll love it) I heard the story of a founder who before even starting to build his product, created a landing page with a brief description of his product, and an option for users to enter their emails if they were interested in the product he was to build.

Unfortunately, he didn't give any more detail, but he said that this made him know if actually what he is building will be needed by someone somewhere. I've decided to follow this approach and go through the same process. I've identified a few tools online to create landing pages. My approach will be to purchase Facebook ads and target people that I think might be interested in my product.

So, I'm wondering.
Has anyone gone through this approach? if yes, what will be your advice to me please?

Take deposits. Email list is good, but cash in your pocket is better. Pre-sells / pre-orders / deposits / early bird discount whatever you want to call it.

fastlane_dad

8 Figure Fastlane Graduate
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
637%
Jun 20, 2017
Scottsdale, AZ
Many entrepreneurs here (myself included) not only have done preliminary testing, but made sure it's a solution customers are willing to pay for prior to investing any significant time or money into the business.

Please refer to @NeoDialectic Testing Framework to see some of the outlined steps and mindset behind how to go about making sure you have commitment for your products and ideas before going all in.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach, but we have generally tried to stay lean and invest very little into our ideas and products before seeing customer response in one way or another.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Hello everyone,

So, I'm wondering.

As @fastlane_dad mentioned, I think you may find some value in the thread we wrote.

It seems like you are saying that you want to build a landing page that gives a description of the product and then tells them the product isn't built yet but they can be notified when it is built. Is that right?

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France
Many entrepreneurs here (myself included) not only have done preliminary testing, but made sure it's a solution customers are willing to pay for prior to investing any significant time or money into the business.

Please refer to @NeoDialectic Testing Framework to see some of the outlined steps and mindset behind how to go about making sure you have commitment for your products and ideas before going all in.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach, but we have generally tried to stay lean and invest very little into our ideas and products before seeing customer response in one way or another.
Thanks a lot for the referral. I think this is Godsend. I'll follow that approach. I think it is far smarter.

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France
As @fastlane_dad mentioned, I think you may find some value in the thread we wrote.

It seems like you are saying that you want to build a landing page that gives a description of the product and then tells them the product isn't built yet but they can be notified when it is built. Is that right?
Yeah @NeoDialectic That's exactly it.

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France

@fastlane_dad @NeoDialectic Thanks for the advice, actually I'm afraid of something while going down through this approach. Actually, the product I'm building will require partnerships with financial institutions and a team, since it is a fintech and once I get user emails, It will take about a year or more to be able to deliver a final version.
Have you ever dealt with these kinds of long time frames? what if someone takes my idea, or I get in legal trouble because I promise to build something without having the company created yet?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hello everyone,

So, I'm wondering.

NeoDialectic

Successfully Exited the Rat Race
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
686%
Feb 11, 2022
Phoenix, az
Yeah @NeoDialectic That's exactly it.

While I can see that working for some things, that exact way wouldn't be the way I would recommend doing things. I feel like there would be too much noise in the signal. Most serious people that may be interested won't put their email in as they were looking for a solution now, not "god knows when". On the other side of the coin, many of the tire kickers that wouldn't buy in the first place would have no issue putting in their email. They are in fact finding mode or dreaming mode. Putting in their email feels like progress and it costs them nothing.

Depending on your EXACT product, this may not be the best way. However, for most people I would recommend setting up a website as if you are actually selling this product. Have a real checkout and everything. Maybe even take them through the the first step where they put in their info. Then when they get to the CC stage, that is where you say something along the lines of "We apologize for any inconveniences but it looks like due to high demand, our product is out of stock." Again, depending on the product, this would have to be tailored. If it is a service or partnership, you may have to say all the slots have just been filled. Then have a spot for them to put in their email to be notified first when the product is back in stock.

A couple things to keep in mind:

• You should probably not store any of their info they put in in the previous forms, unless they put their email in and consent.
  • You need to have something like google analytics on every single page and keep an eye on it like a hawk. You want to know how many people went through each stage.
This should get you a MUCH more accurate gauge of interest. It will be as close to "did you actually get them to hand over money for your product" as you can get without crossing some stronger ethics lines (Charging people for something you don't have, even if refunded, is generally looked down on).

I see testing accurately as a net good for the market. It may frustrate a few people that wasted 2 minutes putting in their info under false pretenses (info isn't saved without consent!), but at the end of the day this will hopefully lead to you filling a need that will help 1000s+ of people like them.
@fastlane_dad @NeoDialectic Thanks for the advice, actually I'm afraid of something while going down through this approach. Actually, the product I'm building will require partnerships with financial institutions and a team, since it is a fintech and once I get user emails, It will take about a year or more to be able to deliver a final version.
Have you ever dealt with these kinds of long time frames? what if someone takes my idea, or I get in legal trouble because I promise to build something without having the company created yet?

Take a look at the whole thread that @fastlane_dad linked, but HERE is the post that directly addresses your legal trouble concerns.

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France
While I can see that working for some things, that exact way wouldn't be the way I would recommend doing things. I feel like there would be too much noise in the signal. Most serious people that may be interested won't put their email in as they were looking for a solution now, not "god knows when". On the other side of the coin, many of the tire kickers that wouldn't buy in the first place would have no issue putting in their email. They are in fact finding mode or dreaming mode. Putting in their email feels like progress and it costs them nothing.

Depending on your EXACT product, this may not be the best way. However, for most people I would recommend setting up a website as if you are actually selling this product. Have a real checkout and everything. Maybe even take them through the the first step where

Thanks again !!! I went through your message and the link you shared, and I'll execute it. I will post my evolution here in the forum.

Damien Boss

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jul 12, 2020
France

Hello, @NeoDialectic @fastlane_dad I tried doing a landing page and getting traffic with Google ads, but my account got banned. And Google said I'm not allowed to ever advertise again. Has anyone here gone through that? is there even a way to make Google setup back the account?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.