The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Steps to manufacturing and selling an electronic device case

DTFreedom

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
Hey guys. Signed up yesterday, and this is my first non-intro post -- forgive me if it isn't as cogent as one would hope.

Getting down to brass tacks, I have an idea for a product, but ideas are a dime a dozen and utterly worthless without exceptional execution. So I'm not really wanting to talk about the product -- I want to talk about how to make it happen. But before I get to that, if you have the information to help me, you're going to need a little more information about the product.

Section 1: The product

The product is a case for an electronic device. The device I have in mind is widely used by a specific group of people for a specific purpose, and this group of people is:

A) Very large, so scale-ability should not be an issue
B) Very niche (they will have an interest in this case over other cases by default)
C) Very easy to market to (they have their own publications and other products they buy regularly and predictably, so cross-marketing seems relatively simple)

Section 2: Manufacturing the product

Unfortunately, I have no background at all in manufacturing physical products. I don't know where one would start. My current understanding is that one must have a prototype created and then attempt to license the product to a manufacturer interested in creating the product. This seems like a lot of "ifs", and I get the sneaking suspicion that my ignorance in this area has caused a massive blind spot.

So my questions to any of you who have know-how regarding this:

A) How would I go about getting this case for an electronic device prototyped?

B) How can I find out how much it will cost per unit to mass produce?

C) Should I go the licensing route or attempt to get it mass-produced and then sell/market the product myself?

D) Where can I go to find out more about the manufacturing of physical goods?

Addendum: I understand that the manufacturing of the product should only occur when and if I am as certain as possible (after market research) that it will be a profitable endeavor worth my while. I do want to know more about the marketing aspect, but I first need to know that this idea is within the scope of possibility.

My sincere thanks to all who respond.

DTFreedom

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
So my questions to any of you who have know-how regarding this:

A) How would I go about getting this case for an electronic device prototyped?

B) How can I find out how much it will cost per unit to mass produce?

C) Should I go the licensing route or attempt to get it mass-produced and then sell/market the product myself?

D) Where can I go to find out more about the manufacturing of physical goods?

First off, Welcome to the forum! I'm in the process of manufacturing my first product right now so maybe I can be some help to you.

A) There are many ways to go about this. I made my first prototype out of some material I found in Home Depot. Remember, a prototype doesn't have to be an exact replica. It just has to get the point across. We built something that looked similar to what we wanted then took it to an engineer and explained it to him. He made us CAD drawings exactly how we imagined it. There are also many companies that you can find that will build you working prototypes. This guy here just happens to be a member of the forum: Phoenix Engineering and Consulting, Inc.

B) Once you get the prototype, You can take it to manufacturers and get pricing on it. Make sure that you have them sign NDA's.

C) This depends. Do you have the capital to invest in it? It's not cheap. Do you have the time to invest? Do you have the motivation and determination to put in all the long hours and hard work to make your dream come true? If you answered no to any of these questions then maybe you should think about licensing. In the meantime, check out Stephen Key's book "One Simple Idea" to help you decide which route to take.

D)Google. Or you can check out my progress thread and learn a little from what I did: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fastlane-millionaire-stories/30969-my-path-fastlane.html

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Felix II

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 6, 2010
What is your exact goal?
Are you just after a licensing deal or do you plan to sell the product directly?

Product design and development is my area. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the second part of the equation (selling, licensing, distribution).

If you're looking at proving the concept, or don't expect to do a lot of volume, here is what I'd do:

1. Sketch your design as much and thoroughly as possible.
2. If the design is simple enough that you can specify exactly how it needs to be made then you can probably skip hiring an engineer and go straight to the manufacturing from your drawings, or hire a draftsman or engineer to create drawing of the design.
3. If the design is more complicated then you may want to work with a mechanical engineer to develop the case. You'd be amazed at how much better of a product you can get.
4. Start talking to people who can manufacture your product. Typically, I work with at least 4 vendors for a product: A machinist (or molder), a contract manufacture to build the electronics, a painter to finish the products, a screen printer and/or decal. There may be a lot more to it, but this is the majority.

Depending on the complexity, you might be better off hiring a product development firm to do all the work. You might get a much better product than you can do by yourself, just because they know what is possible to do.

Anyway, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions I can on the development side.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.