Hello!
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read the title of my post (let alone this section...)
I used to be a member on here a while back for around three years, happy to be active again.
So, after honing my craft of making music via the computer for the last ten years (yes, its electronically based but it can get damn close to sounding organic) I would like to venture into bringing in a little extra cash from dipping my feet into the lake of freelancing.
I have already signed up for Upwork and so far thinking of niching into meditation music/podcast audio etc, soft-styled with lots of harmonies and pads.
I have some questions/rough notes if that's okay:
- In terms of having a skill as a music producer, is there really a need in todays market from a business sense?
- If you believe there is still a need, what sort of industries, maybe there is a whole new niche that I'm not considering?
- Market research is something I always overthink. How might I go about starting again?
- I do NOT play an instrument, however, have near enough perfected being versatile and able to make organic stuff when required.
- Getting ahead of competition - Would it be too cheeky to call SME's up and ask if they use audio in their marketing etc and enquire further? Not sure who to target or look into first however...
- Last point would be that I am keeping an open mind around this, if it goes tits up then I'll try something else, if it goes well, attempt to scale.
Not expecting any detailed answers but some guidance or to be pointed in the right direction would be a massive help. I won't go into details but I do really need to start making some extra money on the side. I feel like I'm sitting on this skill but struggle to shift from the "musician" brain to the more "business person" brain. THIS is why I am back and on this forum (and to get to know folks of course!)
I previously recall reading LexDeville's post around freelancing and I actually did follow a bunch of his teachings, then I got stuck after not finding too many people looking to hire anyone for the niche I looked into, meditation music.
I do not want to and will not go into this blindly. Ideally, I would like to ask around first and establish where there might be the need for my music, but I've hit a wall now, I feel like music lost a lot of its value over the years and its so cheap to get music now too from a business sense. I don't remember where to even start, what industry to look into.
Once again, thank you for reading this. There's some waffle in there but wanted to give more context.
Please do shout me if I left anything important out for you in order to understand better.
All the best
Count Fluffernut
Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read the title of my post (let alone this section...)
I used to be a member on here a while back for around three years, happy to be active again.
So, after honing my craft of making music via the computer for the last ten years (yes, its electronically based but it can get damn close to sounding organic) I would like to venture into bringing in a little extra cash from dipping my feet into the lake of freelancing.
I have already signed up for Upwork and so far thinking of niching into meditation music/podcast audio etc, soft-styled with lots of harmonies and pads.
I have some questions/rough notes if that's okay:
- In terms of having a skill as a music producer, is there really a need in todays market from a business sense?
- If you believe there is still a need, what sort of industries, maybe there is a whole new niche that I'm not considering?
- Market research is something I always overthink. How might I go about starting again?
- I do NOT play an instrument, however, have near enough perfected being versatile and able to make organic stuff when required.
- Getting ahead of competition - Would it be too cheeky to call SME's up and ask if they use audio in their marketing etc and enquire further? Not sure who to target or look into first however...
- Last point would be that I am keeping an open mind around this, if it goes tits up then I'll try something else, if it goes well, attempt to scale.
Not expecting any detailed answers but some guidance or to be pointed in the right direction would be a massive help. I won't go into details but I do really need to start making some extra money on the side. I feel like I'm sitting on this skill but struggle to shift from the "musician" brain to the more "business person" brain. THIS is why I am back and on this forum (and to get to know folks of course!)
I previously recall reading LexDeville's post around freelancing and I actually did follow a bunch of his teachings, then I got stuck after not finding too many people looking to hire anyone for the niche I looked into, meditation music.
I do not want to and will not go into this blindly. Ideally, I would like to ask around first and establish where there might be the need for my music, but I've hit a wall now, I feel like music lost a lot of its value over the years and its so cheap to get music now too from a business sense. I don't remember where to even start, what industry to look into.
Once again, thank you for reading this. There's some waffle in there but wanted to give more context.
Please do shout me if I left anything important out for you in order to understand better.
All the best
Count Fluffernut
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
