The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Starting a Wordpress website today...tips?

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
I am behind on doing my introduction but I have been on here now for about a week. I will keep this short ...... i'm on my way to the library to build a website from scratch using WordPress.org.....I just thought anybody who has one or two sentences that they wish they knew when did this.... that might help me.....please post so I can use the advice as I go.
Thank you for your time

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011
I would say to myself, "Don't waste time creating a website until I have an idea that I have already validated through making sales to my target market."

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
I would say to myself, "Don't waste time creating a website until I have an idea that I have already validated through making sales to my target market."

I've been doing this service for a long time....wasting time basically treating it as a hobby by waiting for people to come to me.....only have a Facebook business page. I need customers and sales.....I have a service proven to sell....I'm good at what I do just not at selling it.
Thanks for response and trying to save me time

Im here now buying domain name with stupid questions like....should it be same name as company name.....little things that always held me up.....I just want to get this up instead of being hung up on every detail and go to bed knowing tomorrow I have much better chances of sales

Salama2017

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 12, 2017
California
I am behind on doing my introduction but I have been on here now for about a week. I will keep this short ...... i'm on my way to the library to build a website from scratch using WordPress.org.....I just thought anybody who has one or two sentences that they wish they knew when did this.... that might help me.....please post so I can use the advice as I go.
Thank you for your time
It will be time consuming but a great experience. I've created a few wordpress sites but took them down because I didn't have good use for them.
I would buy domain names and other packages only to be stuck with a useless website.
You need to have a purpose for the website especially if you'll be buying a domain name.
Otherwise you could just start with the free service before you pay for anything.
Best of luck!

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
Use a template.

Cheap one's on themeforest.com.

Bought the domain name and now deciding between hosts host gator or siteground.....imwant to just hurry and choose one but I'm trying to not go to fast and miss things like comparing the pricing that changes after intro price expires.......keep peeking on here to see tips as I go......thanks for responses

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Bought the domain name and now deciding between hosts host gator or siteground.....imwant to just hurry and choose one but I'm trying to not go to fast and miss things like comparing the pricing that changes after intro price expires.......keep peeking on here to see tips as I go......thanks for responses
I'd say GoDaddy, they have the best support.

racyred09

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
359%
Nov 28, 2017
USA
I like namecheap for domain purchase AND hosting. They've got one-click Wordpress installation within cPanel. And there are tons of free themes you can search inside it. I think it's pretty intuitive once you've got it set up. Just click through everything and fill it in.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
I like namecheap for domain purchase AND hosting. They've got one-click Wordpress installation within cPanel. And there are tons of free themes you can search inside it. I think it's pretty intuitive once you've got it set up. Just click through everything and fill it in.

Thanks for reply....I used namecheap and went with siteground.

It was between siteground and hostgator....I had both customer service chats going and hostgator was like talking to a kid and siteground talking to a complete experienced professional....so I paid the extra few bucks.

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
It's best to stay away from any companies who are a part of the EIG Network, HostGator being one of them. Namecheap's customer service was always good to me...until the last time it wasn't when I had a dispute over an affiliate referral that didn't get credited to my account. I've been hearing that Namecheap is good for their domains with the free privacy protection (which I still use), but not so great for their hosting. I am making the switch to Siteground's hosting since they include the SSL Certification for free, whereas Namecheap doesn't.

So far, Siteground has been really good with speed and ease of use. I've had no complaints with Siteground.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
It's best to stay away from any companies who are a part of the EIG Network, HostGator being one of them. Namecheap's customer service was always good to me...until the last time it wasn't when I had a dispute over an affiliate referral that didn't get credited to my account. I've been hearing that Namecheap is good for their domains with the free privacy protection (which I still use), but not so great for their hosting. I am making the switch to Siteground's hosting since they include the SSL Certification for free, whereas Namecheap doesn't.

So far, Siteground has been really good with speed and ease of use. I've had no complaints with Siteground.

Curious, what’s wrong with EIG? I use hostgator and have never had a problem.

Laurex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 12, 2017
Romania
So, WordPress tips, huh?
Ok, you install it, easy task, next step on any guide:
... Go to www.yoursite.com/wp-admin and login...
Tip 1: right after installing Wp, get this plug-in
Rename wp-login.php
It's a good security measure that every developer should implement. Changing the keys for your door is safe, hiding the door is safer.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
So, WordPress tips, huh?
Ok, you install it, easy task, next step on any guide:
... Go to www.yoursite.com/wp-admin and login...
Tip 1: right after installing Wp, get this plug-in
Rename wp-login.php
It's a good security measure that every developer should implement. Changing the keys for your door is safe, hiding the door is safer.
Thanks! I'll make a note of that.....currently I'm stuck on the theme I chose. I downloaded it from Wordpress but having trouble customizing it of course because this is all new to me. I'm worried about choosing a theme and putting in all the work to it then finding out the theme has issues and I'll need to restart with a different one........feeling lost but I stay at it.......

jazz

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Sep 23, 2016
USA
Thanks! I'll make a note of that.....currently I'm stuck on the theme I chose. I downloaded it from Wordpress but having trouble customizing it of course because this is all new to me. I'm worried about choosing a theme and putting in all the work to it then finding out the theme has issues and I'll need to restart with a different one........feeling lost but I stay at it.......

Just a quick note on security here. Moving your login URL is definitely a way to prevent people from finding your login page. This sort of security measure is what's often known as "security by obscurity." The problem is that hackers generally have the tools to still find the front door to your site.

Most attacks on Wordpress sites are automated and don't use your login page as the access point. Some WP plugins also rely on the default login URL, which can break features or cause you headaches later down the road.

You can still go ahead with moving your login page. It definitely can't hurt your security. I would also highly recommend implementing 2-Factor Authorization the first chance you get. It's simple and it can sometimes feel like a hassle for logging in, but it's one of the simplest ways to really increase the security of your site. Be sure to also change or remove any default logins and usernames like "admin".

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
Just a quick note on security here. Moving your login URL is definitely a way to prevent people from finding your login page. This sort of security measure is what's often known as "security by obscurity." The problem is that hackers generally have the tools to still find the front door to your site.

Most attacks on Wordpress sites are automated and don't use your login page as the access point. Some WP plugins also rely on the default login URL, which can break features or cause you headaches later down the road.

You can still go ahead with moving your login page. It definitely can't hurt your security. I would also highly recommend implementing 2-Factor Authorization the first chance you get. It's simple and it can sometimes feel like a hassle for logging in, but it's one of the simplest ways to really increase the security of your site. Be sure to also change or remove any default logins and usernames like "admin".
Another great tip... thank you!
Im struggling........been at this nonstop almost and don't feel I'm moving much.....navigating is super slow and I think because I'm on iPad......I'm not sure what to do but figuring as go....want to do it right and NOT WASTE TIME mainly......onetone is the Wordpress theme I chose for free.......
I use daily to think you just slap the theme on and good....now I'm seeing or I think I'm seeing....if the creator doesn't update it....my site will not function correctly?? I don't know....back to it I go
Thanks again!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
Curious, what’s wrong with EIG? I use hostgator and have never had a problem.

There might be different experiences, but generally, the EIG is a large conglomerate of hosting companies. You'll often be grouped in with many others on the same servers fighting for the bandwidth and customer support has to handle a lot more (slower response times from support).

Many years ago, I used BlueHost and found my website to be super slow. I thought it was just the way it was. Then, I moved to Namecheap and it was really fast. Siteground seems or feels like it's a little bit faster.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
If sales are your problem, check out @Fox thread. I'm out and about and on my phone so can't link to it atm but it's awesome.

Laurex

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 12, 2017
Romania
Theme selection is a roadblock where many newbies get stuck. You must know you have two options: free or paid theme.
Free means downloading from WordPress.Org repository a theme with (usually) limited features and support from the author. However, themes and plugins from Wp repository are more secure. Do not attempt to download any kind of NULLED themes or plugins from the internet, they are a 100% trouble makers.
Your second option is a paid theme. Paid themes allow a lot of customization, many of them have video tutorials on how to install and setup, making it an easy task for a new comer. There are a lot of places where you can get paid themes or plugins, here are some names that are trusted in this area: ThemeForest, Envato, Codecanyon, Wpmudev.
Without knowing too much about your project, I can't recommend a specific theme, but from WordPress repository you could get Customizr, it has plenty of features to start out. For a professional look, a multipurpose paid theme like Divi or Avada may be for you. My personal favorite is KLEO, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of options.
Tip #2: Remove the default widget containing links to your login page, archives, recent comments.
Go to Dashboard>Appearance>Widgets and select Meta, then remove it.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
If sales are your problem, check out @Fox thread. I'm out and about and on my phone so can't link to it atm but it's awesome.
Thank you.....looked on his link
A man I wrong or is his Facebook link mainly for web designers?
I'm so frustrated....times going, I'm not.... I know people have recommended theme Forest and I'm wondering if I would have bought one off there does that mean it's already to go and I don't have to customize or do anything just fill in the blanks? I know this is probably not as hard it is seems to me right now but all I hear is the clock ticking.....would be different if I was making progress but getting an image up in a little bit of this and that is not progress in my mind

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Most themes have YouTube videos or instructions on how to best use them.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
Most themes have YouTube videos or instructions on how to best use them.
Thank you.....Yes I looked it up from the developer.....If you could see her version of what to do.........it's just not to helpful could say.
I was hung up on a few hours of something so stupid and I did not find the resolution until I contacted site ground.....again they were very helpful and glad I chose them for anybody considering them.
I'm considering now the possibility of just not using this team although I like it so much and choosing one of them forest hoping that it makes this all a lot easier ......but I feel like it may just be the same situation except now I just paid for one instead of it being free......I'll figure it out!

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
This post will be used one day by someone so just leaving a trail of something I thought was nice to check that I just found.....
This tests the template you're considering to see if mobile friendly....good idea to do
https://search.google.com/test/mobi...utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=mft-redirect

Also a quote near it that was good timing to read and apply.....

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Get a theme builder like Divi, you are not limited to 1 layout and can create anything you want. Sure it will take you 5-10 hours to figure it out but once you do, with a small amount of knowledge in Divi you can replicate 70% of themeforest themes.

Plus, its buy once unlimited use.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
Get a theme builder like Divi, you are not limited to 1 layout and can create anything you want. Sure it will take you 5-10 hours to figure it out but once you do, with a small amount of knowledge in Divi you can replicate 70% of themeforest themes.

Plus, its buy once unlimited use.
I will look into that I did see divi but avoiding paying if can....pretty sure it wasn't free.
I'm inching along....anybody know if the jet pack is worth keeping on here as a plug in?
Thank you guys for responses

Owner2Millions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Feb 21, 2017
Chicago
Find and use some of the best web plugins for what your looking for.....also become well acquainted with JavaScript.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
Find and use some of the best web plugins for what your looking for.....also become well acquainted with JavaScript.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm worried about plug ins because changes the coding from what told. I'm afraid I'll mess something up with plug ins but know I need them.....confusing. Plug ins look to make this all easier but at what cost I worry.....
Thanks for java script tip

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
I went through this process a couple weeks ago. Namecheap is great for their privacy protection.

However, for hosting you should look at either cloudways or siteground. I used cloudways because of their ssl certificate along with a vultr server.

Website speed and having your site be https are ranking factors as said by google. These things are small factors, but they still matter. Especially if it's ecommerce.

Lastly, make sure you're avoiding bloated themes. There are plenty where the devs will include tons of options to make it look appealing for the sale. Those same themes make lots of server requests and this slows down their loading time.

Good luck and you don't need to be worried or afraid. You're new to it, things will happen and you'll make mistakes. If you roll with the punches you'll be so thankful for a new valuable skill.

P Stiller

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Nov 24, 2017
Lisle, Illinois
I went through this process a couple weeks ago. Namecheap is great for their privacy protection.

However, for hosting you should look at either cloudways or siteground. I used cloudways because of their ssl certificate along with a vultr server.

Website speed and having your site be https are ranking factors as said by google. These things are small factors, but they still matter. Especially if it's ecommerce.

Lastly, make sure you're avoiding bloated themes. There are plenty where the devs will include tons of options to make it look appealing for the sale. Those same themes make lots of server requests and this slows down their loading time.

Good luck and you don't need to be worried or afraid. You're new to it, things will happen and you'll make mistakes. If you roll with the punches you'll be so thankful for a new valuable skill.
Yep...I used namecheap and siteground
I'm using a free theme from Wordpress called onetone but having problems with customizing it.....been at it since yesterday.
Should I be afraid to install plug ins because could mess up the site??? Just basic ones free I think would make this so much easier but don't trust them.
Thanks for help!

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Ok, I blew US$2500++ on setting up a Wordpress website and plugins and webhosting previously, it was a huge mistake considering I didn't even have a product ready. But I learnt lots of things from the process.....could have spent all that $ on inventory and ads instead....o_O........so here's my thoughts:

I'm worried about choosing a theme and putting in all the work to it then finding out the theme has issues and I'll need to restart with a different one........feeling lost but I stay at it.......

All themes have their own issues, regardless of how good they are or how many positive reviews they got. I've tried a total of 6 paid themes including Themeforest ones, and even those that had thousands of positive reviews had some drawbacks in one way or another. There's no such thing as a perfect theme.

With pre-made themes, you've to FORCE your content to fit the layout of theme (e.g: you need to place 4 images on the top section but the pre-made theme has no layout for that, so you need to find a way around that or pay someone to customize it).

With a custom-developed theme from scratch, you can have full control over the look and content.
That's the biggest difference.

What you should do now, is to get a piece of paper and pen, list down the important pages you need to have in your website (Home, Contact, Services, About, etc....)

Then, in each of these main pages, list and sketch out what content you want on it.

THEN you go find the theme that can best fit your content.

If you've no time or just want to be lazy, then find a theme first and force your content around it, which is a bad choice.

Im struggling........been at this nonstop almost and don't feel I'm moving much.....navigating is super slow and I think because I'm on iPad......I'm not sure what to do but figuring as go....want to do it right and NOT WASTE TIME mainly......onetone is the Wordpress theme I chose for free.......
I use daily to think you just slap the theme on and good....now I'm seeing or I think I'm seeing....if the creator doesn't update it....my site will not function correctly?? I don't know....back to it I go

Don't worry, this is normal. With setting up Wordpress sites, it's often a process of : download this theme/plugin, have questions, contact support, wait for days/figure out yourself, proceed, have questions, contact support......It's normal.

Find those theme companies that have a good track record.
On ThemeForest, for example, search for the ones with the highest reviews and downloads, and see how long they've been in business, and how frequent they respond to customers' questions. On ThemeForest, you can see all these on the theme page itself and the Comments section. Some companies reply in 1 day, some in 3 days, some in 7.....

With theme companies, if one day they go out of business, there's nothing you can do. But the good ones have been in business for many years.

A lot of times, FREE is not always good. Personally, I believe PAID is better than FREE in most cases when it comes to web design.

I know people have recommended theme Forest and I'm wondering if I would have bought one off there does that mean it's already to go and I don't have to customize or do anything just fill in the blanks? I know this is probably not as hard it is seems to me right now but all I hear is the clock ticking.....would be different if I was making progress but getting an image up in a little bit of this and that is not progress in my mind

Without having any idea of what type of website you're creating, we can't give specific advice.

Do you sell products? If you're selling products, look for eCommerce Wordpress themes that have WooCommerce integrated into it. The WooCommerce part, especially if you want to customize that area, you would probably have to end up paying for custom development on it since it can get quite messy.

If you just need a website that gives a summary of the services you provide, like those law firm websites, then it's simpler. Just get a good theme and go from there.
You can also list the themes that you're considering here, and we can provide some advice.

Yep...I used namecheap and siteground
I'm using a free theme from Wordpress called onetone but having problems with customizing it.....been at it since yesterday.

Note that the OneTone theme you're using is a one-page theme so all content will be on the home page only. If you're selling multiple products, this is not a good one to use.

Also, with regards to customization, there's a low limit to how customizable most themes (even paid ones) are. The most you can do is just drag a few blocks around here and there, remove or add blocks etc, but for the most part, everything is fixed. You can change the text color and very basic stuff like this but that's all.

Even with Divi Theme + Visual Composer, there's still a limit on the customization.

So far, the best combo for really customizable Wordpress sites would be GeneratePress + Elementor (YES, ELEMENTOR IS A KILLER and IT'S INSANELY POWERFUL!!!!). But you need some knowledge of web design to use that.

Should I be afraid to install plug ins because could mess up the site??? Just basic ones free I think would make this so much easier but don't trust them.

Plugins are same as themes. CodeCanyon has good plugins and most are very actively developed, but check the reviews and company background first. Try to reduce the no. of plugins you use cos i) they can slow down the site and ii) they will DRAG you to PLUG-IN MAINTENANCE HELL.

PLUG-IN MAINTENANCE HELL is basically, you update a plugin, and your website breaks and ceases to function.
You dunno what's wrong, so you go in and de-activate all your 23 other plugins and re-activate them and test them all one by one.

Finally you found the bug. So you remove that plugin, now you've to find someone to reproduce that functionality, either with another plugin or just forget about it.
And each time a plugin gets installed.....it may break some parts of the site again....and......

This happens even with very high quality plugins, mind you. When you've too many separate components operating in the same system, things tend to go wrong often.....

I will look into that I did see divi but avoiding paying if can....pretty sure it wasn't free.I'm inching along....anybody know if the jet pack is worth keeping on here as a plug in?

What are you using Jetpack for? Backup? If Backup only, I would suggest WPManage. It's cheaper and you can pick and choose what services you want. The backup service is only ~US$2 per month which is lovely.

Or......have you consider just setting up shop on Shopify instead?

I move my website there after I got fed-up with Wordpress sites (plugin hell + slow sites even on Siteground's Geek package + optimization). Shopify seems to load a lot faster than any of the Wordpress sites I had. I had to give up a bit of customization but it's more than worth it.

With Wordpress, I find myself spending too much time keeping track and maintaining plugins and all the nitty-gritty webby stuff, and while some folks might say hosting on your own web host is cheaper, I don't agree though. With Wordpress and WooCommerce, you basically need a plugin for every single function.

For your case, I would say:

1) go with the theme that best suits your content
2) make a list of the areas which you need to customize or change
3) find a good developer like WpKraken (they offer 100% money back guarantee) to customize those parts. Small changes like CSS and changing the look don't cost much. It's the backend eCommerce functionality that costs more.

That's what I did, and it's the most efficient way by far.

Feel free to post any more questions here, will be happy to help since I'm very free now doing action-faking while saving up $$$ for my hustle LOL

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.