The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Smoking vs Vaping

Daniel M.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
48%
Mar 9, 2014
Bucharest, Romania
Hi Fastlaners,

I managed to stay smoke-free almost 23 years and however in the last 6 months I started to smoke and I already quit. After like 2 months of active smoking I made the decision of quitting as I was always against it.
However a huge help for me was a new hybrid ecig, so called iFuse which was launched here in Romania:
http://www.romania-insider.com/tobacco-producer-bat-launches-hybrid-cigarette-in-romania/

I also bought a vaping device and now I don't even want to smoke anymore.
I started vaping like 2 weeks ago and I'm a newbie in this so I thought I start a discussion about this topic as smoking is a huge issue for our health.

So, what is your opinion about vaping. Do you agree that it is better than smoking?
Do you have any concern about this new trend?
There is a risk about vaping too as there is no study about the long term consequences. Do you think that it can be more harmful then smoking?

Of course we can all agree that the best option is just quit smoking and vaping altogether :).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kkompoti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jul 23, 2016
Greece
i am vaping for 25 months now. before i smoked two packs a day.
i have friends that vape for 5-6 years now.

it is way better than smoking. more energy. no problem in waking up in the morning. no problem in going up stairs.. better inhaling
find a good device that covers our needs. and then you will never return to smoking.
good device means around 150-200 euro.
find the nicotine level you like nd the flavour you enjoy and then vape.
after some time you will be able to lower the nicotine level

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
There is no doubt that Vaping is better for you long term over smoking. However, there have been some potential health risks for smoking this. One being that you're essential inhaling this vapor into your lungs which COULD cause a build up of water in your lungs. Luckily our body tries to excrete this condensed form of vapor out of our lungs, but I can't help but think that if you do this for 25 years like those that smoke cigarettes, then what problems will you face.

I think a much better way is to use the vaporizer as as way to make a quick switch from cigarettes to vapes. Then begin to decrease your nicotine levels. Over time you can ween your way off smoking all together.

Just my prospective. Like you said, there is not enough research but just my belief on vapes :smoking:

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
Either you do what's good for your body and mind, or you don't.

It's binary.

Why are you asking if you can take a short cut when you know the right choice?

[HASHTAG]#Landfill[/HASHTAG]

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London
Vaping is a stupid habit.

You didn't miss out on anything not having an ecig for 23 years did you?

When i see someone with an ecig (especially indoors, or on a train) - i think those people look like idiots. Can't they resist?

Plus most people don;t know what they are and think you shouldn't be smoking them inside, or the smoke could be harmful to them. Some people will think you are some kind of junkie.

If you don't care what people think and like the flavour or something - go ahead.

But i cant understand why people do it (same as cigarette smokers). What benefit is there to gain? To look cool?

Why would you want to start or think it's a good idea.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser155

Hi Fastlaners,

I managed to stay smoke-free almost 23 years and however in the last 6 months I started to smoke and I already quit. After like 2 months of active smoking I made the decision of quitting as I was always against it.
However a huge help for me was a new hybrid ecig, so called iFuse which was launched here in Romania:
http://www.romania-insider.com/tobacco-producer-bat-launches-hybrid-cigarette-in-romania/

I also bought a vaping device and now I don't even want to smoke anymore.
I started vaping like 2 weeks ago and I'm a newbie in this so I thought I start a discussion about this topic as smoking is a huge issue for our health.

So, what is your opinion about vaping. Do you agree that it is better than smoking?
Do you have any concern about this new trend?
There is a risk about vaping too as there is no study about the long term consequences. Do you think that it can be more harmful then smoking?

Of course we can all agree that the best option is just quit smoking and vaping altogether :).

Foreword: I used to vape and sell vape accessories.

I'd urge you to do your own research and not just ask for very opinionated opinions. I don't believe that it's more harmful than smoking. Do I know for sure? No. If you buy from a reputable seller all you're getting is Proplyene Glycol/ Vegetable Glycerin (both FDA approved and non-carcinogenics) and nicotine. None of those are carcinogenic (yes, not even nicotine). There has been a bit of research into utilizing nicotine's performance enhancing aspects.

There is no doubt that Vaping is better for you long term over smoking. However, there have been some potential health risks for smoking this. One being that you're essential inhaling this vapor into your lungs which COULD cause a build up of water in your lungs. Luckily our body tries to excrete this condensed form of vapor out of our lungs, but I can't help but think that if you do this for 25 years like those that smoke cigarettes, then what problems will you face.

I think a much better way is to use the vaporizer as as way to make a quick switch from cigarettes to vapes. Then begin to decrease your nicotine levels. Over time you can ween your way off smoking all together.

Just my prospective. Like you said, there is not enough research but just my belief on vapes :smoking:

Most ecigs don't use water. The vapor point is too high and it would burn your mouth. The other caveat is that you're not supposed to inhale. People think the two are interchangeably used, they're not. You use an ecig as a cigar (swish around your mouth and exhale), because it's easier absorbed in the mucous lining of your mouth than your lungs (because the vapor proplyene/glycerin can't get deep into the lungs).

Vaping is a stupid habit.

You didn't miss out on anything not having an ecig for 23 years did you?

When i see someone with an ecig (especially indoors, or on a train) - i think those people look like idiots. Can't they resist?

Plus most people don;t know what they are and think you shouldn't be smoking them inside, or the smoke could be harmful to them. Some people will think you are some kind of junkie.

If you don't care what people think and like the flavour or something - go ahead.

But i cant understand why people do it (same as cigarette smokers). What benefit is there to gain? To look cool?

Why would you want to start or think it's a good idea.

Performance. It builds up "willpower" and gives you more focus to get through a bunch of stuff.

nradam123

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Mar 14, 2016
I heard very bad things about vaping.

Very bad things.

Lol.

Quit both :)

tanytim

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 17, 2016
I was forced to quit smoking because of my dental problems. It was difficult for me at first but I didn't have any other option as I had damaged teeth and was scheduled for root canal treatment from sierra dental clinic in Calgary ( http://www.sierracentre.com/services/family-dentistry/root-canal-therapy/ ). But I started to vape without the knowledge of my dentist. I used dripper to vape as it is like smoking a pipe. Also, I vaped gently without creating much of vacuum. But the condition became worse and my dentist Dr. Knebel treated me properly and also asked me not to do any such things again.
Quitting both is good for our health. It's been 6 months since I stopped vaping and I wish to be like this forever. We won't learn unless we are in trouble. Good luck for those whose quit smoking and vaping!!

Chef

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 9, 2016
I heard very bad things about vaping.

Very bad things.

Lol.

Quit both :)
It'd be nice if you could clarify what you've heard. Unless this is a bad joke or my bad sense of humor?

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I switched from smoking to vaping 5 years ago. My doctor is happy. He says That I'm a non-smoker now.

xxlfire

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Aug 28, 2017
Germany
For everyone wanting to stop smoking i can highly suggest you reading: "Allen Carr's Easyway to quit smoking" the book works like magic, i am not even kidding.. it has like 111 pages and explains how cigarettes or nicotine works on your mind and your body and how you wont even have those withdrawal pangs that most people are scared about. Also he wants you to keep smoking till you finished the book.

He also doesn't use any scare tactics and such since he knows they don't work.
And after i finished the book i wanted to tell every smoker i know about it to help them stop. I hope i can help someone here too. So u don't even want anything containing nicotine anymore.

Lilyvick

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jul 22, 2019
Vaping is something that can really reduce your craving for nicotine or even reduce your desire to have a cigarette. Assuming from my personal experience, vaping causes less health issues. I read guides and resourses from time to time, like VapingDaily etc and see that the trend of alternatives to smoking has become a serious thing. And, seriously, I'm glad. I feel myself much better since I stopped smoking.

oku

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 20, 2019
Smoking has so many noticeable bad health effects. It's bad for the lungs, heart, brain, skin, even reproduction.
It would be nice to able to do that without those effects.
Which is where vaping comes in.
I'll admit I know it's not 100% free of negative health effects.
It's still a better option.
If you smoke, switch.

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
I agree vaping is far superior to smoking.
I have not smoked for over 5 years and have vaping to thank for that.
I agree it can look silly to some but I enjoy the behaviour sort of a meditation pipe:blush:
It amazes me to see youngsters taking up smoking when there are so many better alternatives available.
Hopefully most of them will give it up before any damage is done.

SiuLung

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Aug 13, 2019
France
I've been vaping for quite some time now (I used to smoke). Switching from vaping made a huge difference when it comes to my health: no more stuffed nose in the morning, breathing and energy got better.

However, I did some thinking about vaping the other day. Think about how cigarettes were advertised in the beginning (early 20th century). If you don't know, look it up on Google.

Then examine how vaping is "advertised" (in France it's forbidden to advertise anything related to smoking or vaping).
Vaping is said to free smokers from the harm of cigarettes. It makes sense as the goal of the producers in this market is to have the most consumers possible. By representing vaping as a healthy alternative, they attract smokers.
The other startegy used is what I call the "candy effect". E-cig juices are getting more and more appetizing. This is done to attract to non-smokers (especially young people) and retain usual smokers, because cigarettes usually taste bad.
And of course, you still have nicotine in juices, even though you have the choice the pick ones that have 0 nicotine in it. So you're still addicted, and you're still trapped.

My advice: if you used to be a smoker, switch to vaping. And by all means, avoid the "candy effect" and use vaping only as a mean to clear your addiction by gradually lowering the amount of nicotine. That's what I'm planning to do.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Started smoking age: 15.

I had quit at age 21.

Came back to vaping at 25.

Nicotine is one hell of a drug.

Last edited:

IceCreamAction

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 20, 2016
Trinidad and Tobago
Switched to vaping after heavy smoking for five years.

Obviously nothing is healthier but vaping is the best thing as a stepping stone/substitute.

Don't think people who switch from smoking to vaping are trying to look cool, if anything it looks retarded.

Much easier to quit vaping than smoking in my opinion.

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
Nicotine on its own is not considered addictive.
The type of nicotine in vape solutions rand patches etc is a different molecule to that realised in tobacco burning.
There is also some evidence that monoamine oxidase inhibitors
present in tobbaco products contributes to dependence when combined with nicotine.
As for vaping I make my own vape liquid no flavours just the basics.
I primarily add nic for the peppery nose it gives bit like a mustard burn.
A cup of coffee gives more of a 'hit' than vaping, not that i am a coffee fiend.
And as IceCreamAction says about vaping
"if anything it looks retarded." haha well to minimise that it is all about the hold , grip with fist like baby bottle = retarded holding delicately with pinky kicked out = elegant :hilarious:

SiuLung

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Aug 13, 2019
France
Nicotine on its own is not considered addictive.

Really? I need a source on that because I do feel the need to vape a couple hours after the last puff, just like when I used to smoke.

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
Really? I need a source on that because I do feel the need to vape a couple hours after the last puff, just like when I used to smoke.
To be honest I think the majority if this view is anecdotal based on comparing different nicotine containing products.
In the uk gum patches etc are over the counter non prescription products which would suggest the prevailing view is then are in of themselves not addictive.
I did a little research on gun addiction and its considered very rare.
My own vaping habit is very much that a hand to mouth ritual.
I am very happy to chain vape but if busy I can not vape all day
and get no cravings.
When i smoked it was a different story, as you say after 2 hours a cig started to prey on my mind.
I guess it varies from person to person too.
Now for a chug on my trusty kayfun..:smile2:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Both make you look like an idiot.

I am sure your body would tell you the same if only it had some sort of a message system to let you know what it wanted...

QFP

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Apr 26, 2017
UK
Is this satirical? I can't tell :rofl:
You don't need satire to chuckle at vapers there are plenty of legit
vids that are way more funny than that.
Cloud chasing is like drag racing ,lots of power lots of air flow and huge fuel consumption bonkers , not my thing but hell people race lawnmowers so who am i to argue? :hilarious:

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

Rshin

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 25, 2019
Quit both.

It tastes bad, smells bad, don't get you high or anything, and it costs you a lot of money.

Smoking is the most senseless addiction in the world.

(Ex-smoker here, they're more anti than non-smokers.)
I agree

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.