The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sell one book a day, the routine?

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Sell one book a day.
That’s my current goal.
Given current situation with Coronavirus, I am looking for a simple repeatable approach to sell my book.
It’s a book I have written myself that documents how in four years I have grown my real estate business from zero to overshadow my day job salary as an IT pro, while still keeping my day job. Now I want to add an extra cash flow stream by selling a book. If I figure out a repeatable system of consistently selling one book a day, I sure can scale up to 6 then 10 then 50. I need 1 a day now. How would you think my daily routine should look like to sell one book a day?
Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Bobby_italy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Jan 19, 2016
What has your daily routine to do with selling a book?

I've never sold books, good luck and look into paid advertising or try to promote within your community.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sell one book a day.
That’s my current goal.
Given current situation with Coronavirus, I am looking for a simple repeatable approach to sell my book.
It’s a book I have written myself that documents how in four years I have grown my real estate business from zero to overshadow my day job salary as an IT pro, while still keeping my day job. Now I want to add an extra cash flow stream by selling a book. If I figure out a repeatable system of consistently selling one book a day, I sure can scale up to 6 then 10 then 50. I need 1 a day now. How would you think my daily routine should look like to sell one book a day?
Thank you.
Where are you at now?

How many have you sold, and how regular are they selling?

If you’re making sales then how are people finding and buying them?

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Where are you at now?

How many have you sold, and how regular are they selling?

If you’re making sales then how are people finding and buying them?
Right now it’s random. Nothing to write home about.
it’s up on Amazon.com. I post on social sites, guest appeared on a podcast and this is when there was uptick. I need something that has solid math behind it. I realized individual investors aren’t really my audience. But realtors who want to attract more real estate investors as their clients is a lucrative market for me. Now, how do I tap into that market slice and consistently sell? For realtor 10 books at $20 bucks is peanuts if they hand it out to a client free who buys a house with them at 3% commission. How do I reach out to realtors, make a solid pitch, close a sale?

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
I have never sold books, but every book ive read i have bought ;)

Personally i buy mostly from recommendations. It doesn't matter much what the topic is, if i think i can learn something from it i'll probably be interested.
I know some authors sit on quora and answer related questions. It could be effective, as its a last resort for many people, and they will be happy to get an answer at all. The challenge will be finding relevant questions. And they do show up a lot on google searches, so thats pretty cool.

If you feel like you can do consistent blog or vlog content, thats really good marketing. Even if its hard to measure. Minimum weekly to stay relevant. I follow a few youtubers that do business stuff!
If thats too much, a few guest posts on related blogs/channels could be valuable for you.

Most physical stores has a local owner that is willing to take in local authors with a favorable shelf space. Meet up in person?

Some of the most successful authors right now "give away" books, and rely on their personal brand to earn money elsewhere. (courses, subscriptions, etc)
Alternatively you can give away a small course for free, and let people pay for the book if they want the details. Dont be a webinar dick though. Give actual value, and show how its done!

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
I have never sold books, but every book ive read i have bought ;)

Personally i buy mostly from recommendations. It doesn't matter much what the topic is, if i think i can learn something from it i'll probably be interested.
I know some authors sit on quora and answer related questions. It could be effective, as its a last resort for many people, and they will be happy to get an answer at all. The challenge will be finding relevant questions. And they do show up a lot on google searches, so thats pretty cool.

If you feel like you can do consistent blog or vlog content, thats really good marketing. Even if its hard to measure. Minimum weekly to stay relevant. I follow a few youtubers that do business stuff!
If thats too much, a few guest posts on related blogs/channels could be valuable for you.

Most physical stores has a local owner that is willing to take in local authors with a favorable shelf space. Meet up in person?

Some of the most successful authors right now "give away" books, and rely on their personal brand to earn money elsewhere. (courses, subscriptions, etc)
Alternatively you can give away a small course for free, and let people pay for the book if they want the details. Dont be a webinar dick though. Give actual value, and show how its done!
Ha! “Webinar dick”. Loved it
Kidding aside, good advice, the physical stores are out of question today. Mini course on Udemy crossed my mind many times and i guess my natural next step. Need to tap into realtors circles though. So they act as my book brokers ( good pun!) with their clients.

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
I would stay away from Amazon unless you're doing the selling on the "backend" through coaching, courses, etc. I think Amazon users are used to a good deal. If you have solid content you can charge $30-$100 whereas Amazon users might expect to pay 0-15 IMO.

I'm in the process of launching an ebook as well and I think it's a matter of simultaneously testing marketing channels. If you have a community already, that is a great place to get sales. Build out a twitter following, Facebook group, email list, blog posts for inbound content. Never STFU about the thing you're promoting and give valuable free advice so you position yourself as an authority.

On your book sales page, I'd make everything 100% perfect. Attention grabbing copy that keeps the reader interested and desiring your product and illustrates the benefits to them clearly. Learn to copy-write well or pay someone to do this for you. What will their life look like after applying your advice?

Can you post a link to your book?

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
I would stay away from Amazon unless you're doing the selling on the "backend" through coaching, courses, etc. I think Amazon users are used to a good deal. If you have solid content you can charge $30-$100 whereas Amazon users might expect to pay 0-15 IMO.

I'm in the process of launching an ebook as well and I think it's a matter of simultaneously testing marketing channels. If you have a community already, that is a great place to get sales. Build out a twitter following, Facebook group, email list, blog posts for inbound content. Never STFU about the thing you're promoting and give valuable free advice so you position yourself as an authority.

On your book sales page, I'd make everything 100% perfect. Attention grabbing copy that keeps the reader interested and desiring your product and illustrates the benefits to them clearly. Learn to copy-write well or pay someone to do this for you. What will their life look like after applying your advice?

Can you post a link to your book?
Good one: "Never STFU about the thing you're promoting and give valuable free advice so you position yourself as an authority."
Amazon: Own Your Future with Real Estate: The Quick-Start Guide to Replacing Your Salary by Renting Out Single-Family Homes: Levin, Alik: 9780578622446: Amazon.com: Books
Landing page: Home - Own Your Future with Real Estate

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
Good one: "Never STFU about the thing you're promoting and give valuable free advice so you position yourself as an authority."
Amazon: Own Your Future with Real Estate: The Quick-Start Guide to Replacing Your Salary by Renting Out Single-Family Homes: Levin, Alik: 9780578622446: Amazon.com: Books
Landing page: Home - Own Your Future with Real Estate
Nice. I'd say your copy could use just a bit of work. I'm left wondering what's really in the book aside from something about being able to quit my job. What will you show me in the book? How to find properties? How to get a good deal? Maybe drop some bullet points that lays this out better. The Free Pdf thing is confusing. Is it your book or the chapters? Also, can you find a way to take user's money directly from your website? (yes)

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Nice. I'd say your copy could use just a bit of work. I'm left wondering what's really in the book aside from something about being able to quit my job. What will you show me in the book? How to find properties? How to get a good deal? Maybe drop some bullet points that lays this out better. The Free Pdf thing is confusing. Is it your book or the chapters? Also, can you find a way to take user's money directly from your website? (yes)
Good recos! How about now?
Try refreshing with Ctrl+R to dump browser cash.
I plan adding Amazon pay shortly to take payments.
It's on Amazon for the cloud as published author. People look up on Amazon if I claims I published a book, sort of a business card.

valuecreator

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Apr 16, 2015
Australia
1) put it in kindle format in Amazon with a killer copy. Then give it for free on a few targeted facebook forum so you get reviews quick.

2) Turn it into a course and put it on Udemy (80 million visitors a month). Once again, give a free coupon until you get 1000 student that followed the course and you'll rank top.

3) turn it into a audio book. These things sell like hot cakes right now!

cheers,

Last edited:

roguehillbilly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 3, 2017
USA
Good recos! How about now?
Try refreshing with Ctrl+R to dump browser cash.
I plan adding Amazon pay shortly to take payments.
It's on Amazon for the cloud as published author. People look up on Amazon if I claims I published a book, sort of a business card.
It's not bad. I think it could be better. Google around for ebook sales page copy advice. I think you can really refine it a lot. Are you getting any traffic today?

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
1) put it in kindle format in Amazon with a killer copy. Then give it for free on a few targeted facebook forum so you get reviews quick.

2) Turn it into a course and put it on Udemy (80 million visitors a month). Once again, give a free coupon until you get 1000 student that followed the course and you'll rank top.

3) turn it into a audio book.

cheers,
Udemy it is then

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
Here are some threads from the forum that might be relevant to you.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
Congrats on your achievements.

My focus before even writing would have been where are my target audiences hanging out.

We have to ask our brains the right questions for the right answers.

There should never be a one book.

There should be some great free content then a lead magnet that gets them warm for you and does the pre-selling heavy lifting for you.

Then a paid offering while building a following/subscribers that trust your recommendations because you established authority my friend.

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Here are some threads from the forum that might be relevant to you.

Appreciate the resourcefulness!

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Circling back with some early results.
What I have learned so far is the basics of selling, and that is:
1. Prospect.
2. Qualify.
3. Close.
The learning came from exploring HubSpot's free CRM tool.
So I configured HubSpot's Deal's pipeline similarly as in Qualified, Bought-In, Closed/Lost.
To prospect, I have started to post valuable (IMO) items to attract reactions. Similar to attached PDF. That was prospecting. Those who reacted, I entered as a Deal in the HubSpot. So pretty soon I had the list of prospects to work with. Then I followed with each one on social networks to asses and qualify. If there was an interest, I'd move them to Bought-In. Then offering friction free payment via different tools such as Venmo, PayPal, and Cash App. Most people have these. I offered also to send invoices electronically to pay with Credit Cards - none responded to this. Once payment sent, I moved to the Closed. I sold few books that day, in a very systematic way.
Friction free payment was the biggest learning. I think there is a mental barrier for people to pull a credit card and pay vs. tapping on a button of an iPhone app.
This is what I meant when asking in first place - what would be my daily routine? And the answer is simple to me so far (I assume to many it's the wisdom of obvious but I was clueless before):
1. Prospect: published valuable freebie to attract reactions.
2. Qualify: reach out and assess/qualify.
3. Close: offer friction free payment.
So, next step is keep producing valuable freebies and post it on a reasonable cadence.
Oh... the PDF attached here I produced using Designrr - Create eBooks, Kindle books, Leadmagnets, Flipbooks and Blog posts from your content in 2 minutes (no affiliation) - they have a deal of $27 lifetime subscription which is exactly ironically how much I ask for my book. So selling a book covered the cost of this tool. It produces pretty awesome PDF's that I am going to use as free giveaways.
Thank you, HTH!

Attachments

• 9 Keys to a Successful Real Estate Investing_4.17.2020.pdf
    606.2 KB · Views: 1

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@alikl, I posted a quick critique of your book product page in my thread:

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
@alikl, I posted a quick critique of your book product page in my thread:
Pretty awesome review - appreciation actionable items there!

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I don't know anything about book publishing, but one thing that I took from your website and from googling your name is there is no branding. Investing in something that overtakes your job's income is something many will want. Do you have a social media following for real estate investment? That might help.

I also note you have four 5 star reviews on Amazon, that's amazing! Put that on your web site to encourage people to click on the Amazon link. Also turn the 'get started now' into a link to the listing.

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
I don't know anything about book publishing, but one thing that I took from your website and from googling your name is there is no branding. Investing in something that overtakes your job's income is something many will want. Do you have a social media following for real estate investment? That might help.

I also note you have four 5 star reviews on Amazon, that's amazing! Put that on your web site to encourage people to click on the Amazon link. Also turn the 'get started now' into a link to the listing.
Good points, @Zcott ! Noted.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
Good points, @Zcott ! Noted.

One thing from your opening post on here was a massive hook: "in four years I have grown my real estate business from zero to overshadow my day job salary as an IT pro, while still keeping my day job."

Think about how many people would be hooked by that line. Definitely got me curious and wanting to know more but that part isn't mentioned on your site (which probably goes in to your branding).

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Sell one book a day.
That’s my current goal.
Thank you.
Create a YouTube channel and make a video promoting your book. See MeetKevin he does this every day over and over again. Worked for him.

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
One thing from your opening post on here was a massive hook: "in four years I have grown my real estate business from zero to overshadow my day job salary as an IT pro, while still keeping my day job."

Think about how many people would be hooked by that line. Definitely got me curious and wanting to know more but that part isn't mentioned on your site (which probably goes in to your branding).
Good point! Noted! :D

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Sell one book a day.
That’s my current goal.
Thank you.
Just thought of another. Why not make a course out of it and sell it on Teachable like again (meetkevin)? Not promoting the guy just showing a very good example of someone leveraging online with real estate. I am sure he is making piles of money. Real Estate Investing: From $0 to Millionaire & Beyond

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Following up on the previous post where I had an a-ha moment wrt how marketing/sales cycle works, i.e. Prospecting, Qualifying, Closing. My next step is focusing on producing PDF's as lead magnets. Here is breakdown to where I am with it:

1. Create weekly PDF with designrr.
  2. Cannibalize front page to create square shaped image.
  3. Store both PDF and the image on the cloud.
  4. Host the PDF on HubSpot for free download, requiring email. Examples: FREE Downloads - Own Your Future with Real Estate
  5. Post on FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram.
  6. Send email newsletter to already captured emails via HubSpot.
  7. Analyze performance: emails captured, emails opened, clicks.
  8. QUALIFY:Follow up with most most active with pre-defined script.
  9. CLOSE.
Currently going through training how to gain traction with Instagram.
Since I am only couple weeks into it, no significant traction, but I learn as I go and update the process and online assets. One lady that claims to run web marketing shop (not sure how legit she is) commented "I like how you approach sharing information and marketing!" plus few random followers.
My plan to continue doing it for the next six months. Then re-assess.

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Sell one book a day.
That’s my current goal.
Thank you.
Following up on the previous post where I had an a-ha moment wrt how marketing/sales cycle works, i.e. Prospecting, Qualifying, Closing. My next step is focusing on producing PDF's as lead magnets. Here is breakdown to where I am with it:

1. Create weekly PDF with designrr.
  2. Cannibalize front page to create square shaped image.
  3. Store both PDF and the image on the cloud.
  4. Host the PDF on HubSpot for free download, requiring email. Examples: FREE Downloads - Own Your Future with Real Estate
  5. Post on FB, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram.
  6. Send email newsletter to already captured emails via HubSpot.
  7. Analyze performance: emails captured, emails opened, clicks.
  8. QUALIFY:Follow up with most most active with pre-defined script.
  9. CLOSE.
Currently going through training how to gain traction with Instagram.
Since I am only couple weeks into it, no significant traction, but I learn as I go and update the process and online assets. One lady that claims to run web marketing shop (not sure how legit she is) commented "I like how you approach sharing information and marketing!" plus few random followers.
My plan to continue doing it for the next six months. Then re-assess.
Lesson learned: massive action attracts wrong people. Countermeasures.
1. Trolls - ignore.
2. Do you offer discounts to former co-workers? - yes! Half off, get two at the price of one. Never hear back.
3. I bought a book and I have ton of questions. - Great! We offer affordable coaching rates. Never hear back.

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Lesson learned: calling up previously "lost deals" may generate deal wins! People change their minds all the time, if approached at the right time (no idea what it means, luck?) and asked properly (need to polish it) then lost deal may well turn into win.

alikl

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Oct 10, 2019
Lesson learned: may ways to take money for the order - taking money should be friction free.
I was offering online invoice for the customer to punch their credit cards via QBO - the old school, most friction.
I was offering PayPal, Venmo too. It worked better. Someone asked for Cash App, I never heard of it so I installed it and in a matter of few minutes was able to take cash for the order. To clear the money I connected separate bank account to each app so it's easier to keep track. Adding another bank account to my bank profile is quick and free.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.