The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Saved up 3 thousand dollars and I don't want to make a mistake. Looking for advice.

Rising88

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jul 4, 2019
I can relate to you when I was 19... there’s many things in your mind right and your emotion/need is what will make you buy...

By the sound of things...
1. Write down the pros and cons of why you want a car? Be real with yourself. At your age with the money you’re making, you’re chaining yourself to debt.

2. Yes, when you hit young adulthood, your craving for connecting with women will spike. Join a community of men who are successful with women. Be selective in who you learn from

3. Clothing, I suggest to have a budget and goto discount stores, your taste will change over time.

4. Find a skill that will be an asset, that is a NEED, and PRODUCE VALUE for people - in exchange for cash.

Prioritize based on your needs right now.

Enjoy the journey and trust in the process . :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
You guys think money helps with girls?

Have you made any money? Are you killing it with the ladies now?

I used to live with my parents, had braces, and had no more than $500 in a bank account, and I got tons of girls by being in shape and being smooth.

I focused on my business and stopped going after girls and made money, moved in to a lake house, and guess what happened?

It didn’t help at all. Girls are attracted to fun attractive guys not money. I don’t give a crap if you say otherwise.

Go to the gym, look sharp, have a cool life and be a fun guy, you’ll get girls. The business is separate. Trust me, I’ve done it myself. Girls will actually think less of you if you think you can flex with your money and status.

It’s a mainstream lie and I’ve found that the people who believe it most don’t have any idea themselves they just get it from popular culture.
No, money definitely matters. I don't care what any of these online dating gurus think they know. It's proven scientifically that women want relationships with men who have access to resources. Sure you can get some a$$ by being goodlooking, in shape and broke... but women will laugh when it comes to having a long term relationship with a guy like that. I've too been in situations where I was broke but still had girls throwing themselves at me, but A) that's anecdotal and B) their interest is purely sexual.. not romantic.

So sure, girls like f---ing guys who are fun and cool, but there are very good reasons as to why they will almost never be willing to get into a relationship with one. Why? If it gets serious, can you really marry this guy and have him support a family? If you marry that 'cool fun broke' guy you'll have kids who are raised on Chef Boyardee and Food Stamps.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOhnJV3eLW0

I have a friend like that. He's cool and good looking.. but broke. Girls will date him casually, but whenever he tries to get serious they're like 'wait... you think we can potentially have a family?' and messages me all heartbroken. It's really ruining his life.

Sure being in shape and being goodlooking helps, but a guy who is goodlooking, in shape and has a good income will be irresistible to girls. Just being goodlooking and in shape and fun... that's all fine and dandy when you're casually dating around and getting laid.. but eventually you're going to meet a girl you really like and want to get serious and she's going to laugh in your face.

There are like a bajillion studies on this. The evidence is incontrovertible.

It's deep-seated in our evolutionary biology. It's the Lover/provider thing. Women want sex with men with indicators of good genes (good looking, in shape) because unconsciously they feel their genetic material is of high quality, and their children will be healthy. But for marriage, they want someone who has access to resources so that their children have a good life.

So ideally what women want is both. Good genetic material, and access to resources.

If you focus on too much of one or the other, you end up in bad situations. If you focus only on money, and not on being in shape and being confident, you'll attract a wife that's constantly cheating on you and F*cking the hot guys she meets. If you focus just on being good looking and in shape, no woman will want to marry you. They'll just want to F*ck and then go back to their husbands. But if you work on all of the above, you'll have your choice of whatever woman you want, and you'll have the option of just being a F*ck buddy or being serious with her.

Just being goodlooking? Yea, you'll attract some hot party girls, but good F*cking luck attracting a beautiful woman that's actually wife material.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvQrFBOyDs0

Furthermore, having money boosts your confidence. When you're broke you worry constantly about tomorrow, and it's really hard to be that 'cool fun guy' when your survival is literally at risk.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Our ‘own two eyes’ are among the biggest liars in history.

And I mean that. It’s why Anecdotal evidence is completely worthless.

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
It’s a mainstream lie and I’ve found that the people who believe it most don’t have any idea themselves they just get it from popular culture.
So you're telling me I can't shitpost on r/niceguys anymore yelling how girls only run after bad boys and rich studs while ignoring us "nice" guys(who won't do anything else all day but wag their tail after every girl they meet online, keep listening to how tough these girls have it in life, sympathize and repeat)?
I feel my job is threatened :jawdrop: Oh no! What do I do now?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
put $1000 away in an emergency fund where you cannot get to it
put $1000 in your investment fund for other opportunities

then use the things you have discussed as motivation! ..... take the remaining $1000 and use it to 'make money' .... buy / sell, hustle, etc. ......

from the money you make =
....1/3 goes into emergency fund account (and use that to pay taxes too)
....1/3 goes into investment fund to make more money
....1/3 is yours to invest in yourself however you want (clothes, courses, car, etc.)

want more shit? make more money.

it will motivate you to do more!!

simple.

JByers210

Entrepreneur
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
410%
Apr 14, 2017
United States
I joined the forum at 18 and can somewhat relate. I'm 20 now.

I won't babble on and on about how much women love fun guys and how working out in jeans makes sense and blah blah blah when in reality you're looking for overall advice on what to do with $3000 saved up and where to go from here and probably also just want encouragement instead of getting more of the nonstop try hard posts we see from some forum members.

I was working at a tire shop delivering wheels 8 hours a day at 18. I had about the same saved up...basically everything I made went into a new ecom products I was selling. The cash flow from my job kept me afloat with food and gas and insurance so I wasn't desperate while trying to get my business off the ground.

I had a car my parents let me use for a year so that does make a difference.

How are you making it to work?
Does your job require a car?

If you're working full time and making at least $8 you should be able to make $1280 a month. Take that X 3 months and you've got close to $7000 saved and can buy a car that isn't a total piece of garbage and will last you for a while. If I'm not missing anything (which I could be).... why not continue to do what you're doing and save?

Why do clothes have to be such a huge expense? If you can't navigate through these type of things on your own you will have a very hard time making it as an entrepreneur.

2018-2019 was a struggle and I failed over and over....never was able to save or make much...

Fast forward to this year.. I've been so busy I've barely been able to keep up with my business. Don't get discouraged...this is part of being an entrepreneur. Read MJ's books if you haven't already.

Edit: Trust the Process ;)

Last edited:

A_Random_Guy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
May 27, 2019
India
from the money you make =
....1/3 goes into emergency fund account (and use that to pay taxes too)
....1/3 goes into investment fund to make more money
....1/3 is yours to invest in yourself however you want (clothes, courses, car, etc.)
In a recent video of Dan Lok, he said that he followed the 5 bucket strategy.
From your income,
... 60% goes to basic necessities(food, housing bills, electricity, etc)
... 10% goes to investment(stocks, bank etc)
...10% goes to an emergency fund(you don't use this money. EVER. Unless you are about to die)
...10% goes to learning skills and personal development
...10% goes to FUN money(your entertainments, dating, online subscription etc)

Once your income bracket crosses 500k$,

...35% goes to basic necessities
...25% goes to investment
...15% goes to an emergency fund
...15% goes to PD and skill development
...10% goes to FUN money

This seems to be really well-planned use of money. If you have a fixed amount to spend on fun, you won't regret your actions of buying stuff later.

SD Entrepreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jul 12, 2019
San Diego, CA
Haha you're welcome.

Don't dismiss getting a car too easily. A car can be very useful. You can use it to add leverage to you since you have a farther radius of potential.

Just don't be fancy when you're a young buck. People want fancy cars simply because they are positioned as something they can't have.

Working from home is nice. The only problem is it keeps you in your comfort zone. You'll never be aware of gaps to fill without going into the field. That's why you should get a sales job where you deal with the public.

It exponentially improved my confidence since it gave me an apprenticeship for applying things. The thousands of people I've met with... and hundreds I've closed... have opened so many doors.

Working there has also given the free opportunity to train the junior sales staff informally under me. This means I know how to scale any business. (and I can code web apps from my side hustle days)

The junior people have thanked me for simply showing them what thing to focus on each week. (instead of the company's cram it all down their throat and let them sink or swim and wonder why everyone quits approach.)

Most people there just get sufficiently good at their jobs. There is nothing stopping anyone from picking everyone from sales to logistic's brains. This will save you from having to reinvent the entire wheel.

This place also revealed a massive gap companies are half-assedly filling for their customers. Customers always leave disappointed and beg for it.

Filling it will undercut corporate's fat margins so they don't want to address it. Some day the giants in this industry will be another sad case study like Blockbuster.

For one's social life, just like in entrepreneurship, value attracts value. Focus on being strong, fit and source of pleasure instead of misery. (Unscripted )

Let other guys go chasing everyone around like a horny wiener dog. (BRO-marketer) Others never put themselves out there and wonder why they find no one. (slowlaner) And don't forget the decadent "YOLO" crowd. (sidewalkers)

BTW, what are you studying in school? How's it move you further in tangible terms? What market gap does having the degree help fill? Hope this isn't offensive, but if it is, it's a sign of cognitive dissonance.
I agree and would recommend investing in yourself, get a sales job and stick it out for some time (builds confidence and valuable skills), make more money, learn constantly, grow and all other things will align!

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I'm 19. Been working during the summer. I have saved up about 3 thousand dollars. However, I've very tempted to spend half of that on a shitty car, another 5 hundred dollars on some clothing (since I have absolutely no wardrobe), and the other thousand on other things I want (such as getting a photoshoot done for my social media, a video camera so that I can start documenting my journey...).
Basically my confidence is down. I don't have decent clothing, I don't have a car, I look like shit, I have a shitty romantic and social life.

At the same time, I'm looking at things in the long run. Perhaps it's best to just keep saving and to spend this money on business ideas to eventually make even more money. Maybe I should just say F*UCK YOU to my confidence for a few more years until I have solid passive income coming my way.

What do y'all think?
I do not think your current mindset is good to start a business. Basically you think the same way as I do. We need instant validation on the hard work and effort we put in.

Doing business is a painful and lonely process. Judging from what really matters to you now, you are likely to go depressed before you succeed in a business. Just think about it. Your social like sucks now. Wait until you get your friends and parents pressuring you to get a proper job while you have no cash coming into your business. It will break you.

I am in financial sales and I recommend you going to sales. Faster money and less pressure on you. You will have time and resources to impress your friends and girls.

You are only 19 and you worried about not having money and a good social life? Hahahah. When I was 19 I still live off on my parents. Come on you are doing well. There are plenty of people who have nothing in their 30s and 40s.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Furthermore, having money boosts your confidence. When you're broke you worry constantly about tomorrow, and it's really hard to be that 'cool fun guy' when your survival is literally at risk.

He's 19, this is very different. Having nice clothes, a car and being popular or at least popular enough to go out and meet girls is all that matters. Yeah if you're rich that helps too but he's 19, being rich at that age means having rich parents which you can't change. Yeah he could get rich on his own but that means hard work for years which in my opinion is a waste of being 19. Let's say he did it in 2 years, now he's 21, he's already missed so much. Girls don't expect you to be rich at 19, if being serious is on their mind all they'll look at is your potential, your motivation and drive and goals which having them boosts confidence and makes you attractive. If you get into a good school etc.

As you've said above boosting confidence is huge, all you need to do that at 19 is some nice clothes, go to the gym and maybe a car. The rest is just the confidence you get from meeting girls and them liking you.

My advice to the OP is if you're going to do video, start with a used iPhone 7 if you don't already own a better phone, if its going well, buy a mic, if its really going well buy a camera like a G7X or G85. You won't really know what you'll need or want till you start and the gear can get expensive fast. You might find you need a new computer before you need a camera.

A photoshoot for tinder is just weird. Post pictures of you doing fun stuff in groups of friends especially ones that have girls in them so they know you aren't weird, maybe some travel pictures, so maybe spend some of that money travelling really cheaply. You could travel and do some touristy stuff locally or within your country or go to a country like Bali and stay in hostels for 2-3 weeks, you'll meet so many people, have so many stories and get so many pictures you can use. Plus you can make videos of it. I'm not sure what flights would cost you but staying there a hostel is like $10 a night max, and a meal is usually under $5.

It sounds like you won't need the car soon but if you really do then just spend enough to get something reliable, cars especially cheap ones are expensive to own. You're better off just paying your mates gas money if you're going out. But if you do need a car, get the most reliable one you can.

Clothes, just buy nice ones that fit well, you don't need big logos or brands. And as someone mentioned above, buy them slowly so you can get a feel for what you like, what you need, what you actually wear, what you feel most confident wearing and what gets you compliments and attention.

Best case scenario, you get some nice clothes over time for $300, do some cool things locally over time and get some good tinder pics and make friends for about $300-500 and make some videos on the phone you already have while you're at it, or spend a couple 100 on a used iPhone. Then you have about $2000 left for a decent car but if you don't need it then you have $2000 to make you feel comfortable and start flipping items off craigslist with and also to pay people gas money and uber.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Getting a professional shot for Tinder is not weird. The question is about affordability and whether you should spend your time on tinder instead of making money. My guy instinct is not now.

But eventually when you decide to have a Tinder account, go to the gym to get bulk up and then hire a professional photographer. Go for the kill. Nothing good comes out “naturally”. Unless you just want to be the 90 percent of the boys who like every girls they see but receives no reply. And then they give up and complain about girls being superficial.

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Shooting from the hip?

If I was 19 with 3k cash id start doing lonnie deals

Champion

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Apr 12, 2019
Hamburg, Germany
Hey man, so heres my opinion:

Buying those things will NOT get you a better social life and will NOT get you more confidence and will NOT get you more girls.

The main thing it will do for you is give you a dopamine spike for a few days, weeks at top.

Im currently 25 years old and I think my biggest mistake thus far has been drowning myself in way too much theory and not taking action on anything of what I was learning. Alongside this mistake, was that I never really put the effort to find a MENTOR in real life who could support and push me.

My advice to you:

Think about where you want to see yourself in ONE YEAR from now. Whats the answer? Is it to be healthier? Is it to be richer? Is it to have a better social life?

Whatever it is, look for a mentor, someone who has already reached what you want most. If its health (for example to have a nice gym body), then spend the 3k on the most fittest and coolest personal trainer you can find. Is your goal to make more money? Find the person who is hustling most in his business and is already making money and then offer him to invest your 3k in his business for only 1% stake as well as work for free. Work alongside him and learn. That would be my advice! Alternatively, you can invest 1k and keep the 2k for actually surviving (i.e. buy foods and also to buy FREE time with the 2k).

Best,
Champion

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
Your confidence, your ideas and your finances will not improve with stupid purchases, in fact they will get worse. The only thing you can buy that increases your confidence are books and the monthly payment of a gym.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I'm 19. Been working during the summer. I have saved up about 3 thousand dollars. However, I've very tempted to spend half of that on a shitty car, another 5 hundred dollars on some clothing (since I have absolutely no wardrobe), and the other thousand on other things I want (such as getting a photoshoot done for my social media, a video camera so that I can start documenting my journey...).
Basically my confidence is down. I don't have decent clothing, I don't have a car, I look like shit, I have a shitty romantic and social life.

At the same time, I'm looking at things in the long run. Perhaps it's best to just keep saving and to spend this money on business ideas to eventually make even more money. Maybe I should just say F*UCK YOU to my confidence for a few more years until I have solid passive income coming my way.

What do y'all think?

Do girls look at you at all? Car does help you a lot. But you need some kind of a social life already - either friends to go see, or events, you know. One thing you can do is go to sosuave forum and do a DJ Boot Camp - Week #1 which will have you going out on your own accomplishing challenges which will be giving you tons of confidence.

So yeah, car is my vote.

Dont buy a shitty car. If something breaks and you will need another $500-1500 into it, youll be wanting to kill yourself.

Buying a honda, toyota, and negotating from 2k+ to around 2k would be my move. (like trying to get $200-300 off).

Clothes - I currently have more clothes than I can wear. You can fall down that rabbit hole quick, buying new pieces that you think will work for specific occasion, but occasion doesnt come and now you just have spent that money. So I buy all my clothes at heavy discounts online. But for you it will still be pricey. I would not buy anything at retail. I would go on ebay and snipe good looking t-shirts designer brands for like $15-20. Get a few of those. Get a pair of black jeans and blue jeans or chinos. Something you can mix and match w tshirts. Id go into second hand stores too.

3k is not much so dont think you have money to go out eating, etc. Still be frugal with spending but you can go get ice cream w girl and whatever. Just basically you can have the means to get yourself around to different new things, and new opportunities can come in to you.

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
So drop the BS and look at the long run. What's next? You saved $3K! That's awesome, really. When I was 19 I didn't have crap. Treat yourself with some nice - but functional - clothes and figure out how to put the rest to work. We all need clothes - society kind of demands it. And it's amazing what a head boost some nice duds can give us. But don't go crazy.

More than anything else - get to work on what's next. You keep being successful and you can't help but gain confidence. And the most attractive thing to women - gals correct me if I'm wrong - is confidence.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Your sure sound familiar to me at 19.

A few points:

1. What does the new car accomplish? Do you need it for better job opportunities? I can afford a very fancy car, yet I still drive the one from when I was dead broke. No one judges me for it other than saying "Wow you're good at finding deals. Those motors never die."

2. Some jeans and black/dark t-shirts will look fine.

Just focus on having clean well fitting clothes and good hygiene. Be the assertive guy that takes action towards his desires. Take care of yourself instead of pandering to others. That is more valuable to women than trying to impress them.

3. Don't do things to impress women. It is the same as value cheating. Any decent women will smell it a mile off. They are more advanced socially than most young men.

4. You could even get a used camera with a stand. Get good at taking well-lit and positioned photos and you can be the one with a lucrative side hustle. You can also use it to flip things on Craigslist.

Solution:
Get a second job/hustle where you sell things to the public. Use a car to spread your job options out further. Go to the gym and keep good hygiene. Don't worry about rejection and failure. Focus on moving forward and testing each new thesis and its opposite.

The levels go kind of like this:
  • 1. Shit Job - (dish washer, landscaping, roofing, retail etc.) Builds character and humility. Will drive you for bettering yourself.
  • 2. Sales Job - You keep the other job while having no risk in this commission based job. You get lots of business experience in making deals and helping customers relieve their frustration.
  • 3. Side Hustle - Market your skills on your own. You know how to close, now you need to learn how to bring in the business.
  • 4. Business related to a gap in job or side hustle industries. - You've learned the industry from an INSIDERS POV. Now you are using your skills and insights to build a system that attracts and dispenses value.

Don't be the guy who blows money and pea cocks trying to impress women. Put yourself in a position where you can keep taking smart risks while incrementally moving forward. Each step will compound the rest and you'll look back at how you used to be.

PS: Read the sections about hyper reality in Unscripted . You will become much more confident since you are one of the few who aren't playing in a rigged consumerist game.

Agree with all of the above!

If you are a natural at talking you will have way more success meeting women face to face than on an online app.
No one is talking about the ongoing costs of the car that will eat through money. Depending where you are insurance could be crazy expensive for a 19yr old male.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
$3k is not enough to try to impress women if you wanna go that route. It's better to just be fun, relaxed and nice. No money is needed, that's called prostitution.

Your goal should be how you can convert those $3k into an income.

It's starts with knowing how to think first. Look into some resources on awareness and consciousness.

Thats where successful business thinking comes from. You have to know how to extend your awareness to things or variables that most are unaware of. Economics is about scarcity. There is nothing more scarce than human awareness.

TheProcess

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Nov 14, 2018
Getting a professional shot for Tinder is not weird. The question is about affordability and whether you should spend your time on tinder instead of making money. My guy instinct is not now.

But eventually when you decide to have a Tinder account, go to the gym to get bulk up and then hire a professional photographer. Go for the kill. Nothing good comes out “naturally”. Unless you just want to be the 90 percent of the boys who like every girls they see but receives no reply. And then they give up and complain about girls being superficial.
Ended up getting it for free haha.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
So just a question, are you doing all this to impress a girl? Say you did impress a couple and started dating, will you be able to sustain this lifestyle or will you end up as a impostor?

Spend this money on business ideas to eventually make even more money.
- NOW THIS!!! :bicep: Confidence builds up when you start learning and getting experience. Still it all comes up to what's your current goal right now. IS IT GETTING LAID OR GETTING PAID?!!!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.