The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Here's my inbox.

Do they all go to the same School of Spam?

I don't even have to open it to know it's spam.

She wouldn't last a second writing Google Ads. How many characters is that to say nothing?

View attachment 40626

Until The School of Spam ups it's student entry requirements it will churn out the same ole spammer scams that stunningly actually work on a small percentage of the feable and fools.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
When you don't work "normal hours", and you can have all this for yourself at 10 am
View attachment 40682

That is the best. I have a 24 hour gym and I really like the very late night 1 to 4 am crowd, seems so more chill and impressed people out there with me. Also the basketball court is empty and can just shoot without having to worry about getting roped into game and both making a fool of myself and hurting myself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

When you don't work "normal hours", and you can have all this for yourself at 10 am
View attachment 40682
What bugs the hell out of me is how places like this will be open the same time as all the places people work.

So basically, 99% of the time they're open nobody can go use the facility, but then they close right when everyone gets off work.

If you own a gym, don't do that!

(Obviously this one is 24/7)

This is true for many doctor's offices, stores, gyms, recreation facilities, banks, law offices, etc.

It's like they're designed to only cater to retirees and people with flexible schedules. Do they want the other 80%+ of customers or do they like making less money?

I mean, the freaking post office is empty all day and then right before they close the line goes out the door!

Yes, the rat race is real, and yet somehow most places still haven't figured out how to set their hours properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Mic check, 1,2.

Is this thing on?

I’m noticing an influx of “hustlers” on the forum all starting threads about “ side hustles”

Do people use these terms in real life or only on the internet?

“I have a side hustle” :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

What’s wrong with “small business”?
My opinion is people would treat you & your “ small hustle” better if you’d treat it as a “small business.”

*dropped mic*

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 6.34.08 PM.png
These people love to flirt with the end of civilization. Imagine the day they arrest Tiffany at the hair salon for expressing her concerns about Pfizer products. Will that be how we know fascism has arrived? Guess I need to stock up on potatoes and canned okra.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
View attachment 40695
These people love to flirt with the end of civilization. Imagine the day they arrest Tiffany at the hair salon for expressing her concerns about Pfizer products. Will that be how we know fascism has arrived? Guess I need to stock up on potatoes and canned okra.
It’s true he had to cancel a trip to Israel because he wasn’t fully vaxinated. That was in March.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Fastlaners, what do you think about this?

"Laws will probably be passed against genetic engineering with humans. But some people won’t be able to resist the temptation to improve human characteristics, such as size of memory, resistance to disease and length of life. Once such superhumans appear, there are going to be major political problems with the unimproved humans, who won’t be able to compete. Presumably, they will die out, or become unimportant. Instead, there will be a race of self-designing beings, who are improving themselves at an ever-increasing rate." (Stephen Hawking, Brief Answers to the Big Questions)

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Fastlaners, what do you think about this?

"Laws will probably be passed against genetic engineering with humans. But some people won’t be able to resist the temptation to improve human characteristics, such as size of memory, resistance to disease and length of life. Once such superhumans appear, there are going to be major political problems with the unimproved humans, who won’t be able to compete. Presumably, they will die out, or become unimportant. Instead, there will be a race of self-designing beings, who are improving themselves at an ever-increasing rate." (Stephen Hawking, Brief Answers to the Big Questions)

This will very likely happen. It's already fairly easy to use CRISPR in a home lab. It's a matter of time now, at least I think, before one or more of these becomes practical:
  1. Home kid engineering, so you have what you hope will be mega super kids.
  2. Engineered viruses that knock out genes in humans and edit DNA cell by cell, gradually colonizing the person's native stem cells (and/or others) with a colony of person 2.0 cells.
Those strategies might fail catastrophically... probably will in some cases. There are people now who are dumb enough to just inject themselves with just straight CRISPR miasma (a seemingly useless act, unless it manages to kill you or cause an autoimmune disorder or something).

But eventually garage hackers will get the methods down. I think one problem that would arise early on is that brain hackers will make themselves insane, and maybe go postal, or run for President.

With a few exceptions, I'm not convinced this will go as well as bio-hacking optimists think it will. Consider how people tend to optimize already, in areas as diverse as farming, animal husbandry, video game characters, and business. Once a successful culture, hybrid, model, or template is developed, what do people do? They copy it and try to optimize some detail, maybe get a little bit faster or a little more disease resistant or whatever, but it emerges that all the copies are built on the same platform as the original success. So we get the Cavendish banana, the Belgian Blue cattle, the "double halberd whack wizard" (ahem or whatever), the local takeout Chinese restaurant.

Admittedly with some things we preserve more diversity than with others. But historically we're surprisingly neurotic about genetic optimizations. So much so that we tend to create monocultures, over and over throughout history, and those occasionally lead into tragic doom spirals. Chestnuts, Florida citrus, inbred purebred pets, hobby pigeons... for various reasons we create monocultures, which are then either (1) wiped out by a single disease or environmental change due to extreme lack of diversity (chestnuts, commercial citrus, future cavendish bananas), (2) accumulate an unsustainable number of harmful recessive traits and antagonistic alleles, so that they gradually become more sickly and shorter lived (purebred animals and land-title-preservation inbreeding in royals), or (3) optimized for a problem that ceases to exist, and therefore become useless to their maintainers and go extinct (think pigeons).

Sheesh, long paragraphs, I do apologize.

So that's what we do. When we start modifying ourselves, optimized men will become myostatin-inhibited muscle monsters with no fear, extreme motivation and aggressive goal-seeking, juiced memory, multi-threaded cognitive enhancements (hehe), and they'll likely be psychotic just from the combination of those things, but if not, hubris or the occasional lesion on the amygdala caused by the fear-reduction therapy will deliver them to the bank of madness.

Of course, once that emerges they'll be mobbed by people who don't want to reenact Planet of the Apes, and the biohackers will try something else.

I know, this is getting "out there." Maybe that's not what people will do, or maybe it will be much more subtle. But here's where I think it gets interesting...

Normal people will outlast hacked people.

There's an argument against this. You can say "But Rabby... domestic animals are not extinct, yet many wild species are." This is true, but many domestic species, breeds and variants are also extinct. There are chickens, tomatoes, horses, pigeons, maize, dogs, apples, etc that once were pervasive, and now are gone. And others that are "heirloom" and a few people preserve them or market them to biodiversity nerds. And the species, variants, etc that remain do so only as long as the problem they're solving continues. For dogs this is easy by the way... they mostly have to be loyal, and cute in some monstrously funny way. Maybe useful as herders, pointer, retrievers, etc. But even dogs have many breeds we've left behind... Belgian mastiffs, Chiribaya dogs, Sakhalin huskies.

Now let's just say you've biohacked yourself into a Cavendish banana of a person, or a Sakhalin husky of a person. How confindent are you that the modifications are reversible? I'm not... have you ever seen someone un-go through puberty, shrink from reverse growth hormone, melt their brains into a pre-pruning state, and become a 7 year old child after having been a 48 year old power lifter? No? Short of reincarnation, you never will either. It's like the broken glass problem... once the transformation happens, there's no way to reverse it. So engineering yourself into a dead end seems bad right? Especially once we start talking germ line edits.

This is why I think normal people are good. They might not be optimized to whatever someone thinks "the problem" is, but they have an amazing advantage. That is, they don't respond too quickly to new optimization problems, reach optima in one generation, and become obsolete in the next.

I think it would turn out that natural selection and the more healthy forces of adaptation pressure serve us better than consciously optimizing ourselves at the genetic level. Just like we keep going back to Kenya for wild coffee plants when we ruin the commercial ones, "wild" people will probably be the line that endures. Looking at the past, when we've mixed optimization (of land title and right to rule) with our own genes, this proved true. How many royals are there? How many heirs to the male Hapsberg line, once headed by the very royalness-optimized Charles II of Spain?

So... in a nutshell, or maybe a coconut shell, that's what I think. I'm not as optimistic as Hawking that we'll do it right, at all. I think there's a lot of evidence that we'll do it wrong. And if we fail to preserve more-or-less normal human lines, we'll be increasing our risk of extinction.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
There’s a cool series on Netflix about crispr. A Chinese man has already engineered a baby to be immune to the aids virus.

You can also pick a lot of the genetic traits you want in your kids in an Eastern European country, I forget which one, you can pick gender, eye color etc.

Interestingly, Scandinavian countries are picking brown eye colours and most others are picking blue, they are basically going for what is rare or different where they are from, I guess genetic diversity is attractive, so maybe what Rabby is hinting at won’t happen.

I’m picturing a bunch of 6”3 athletes with crazy jaws all walking around like clones and I can see how being different from that would become desirable quickly.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This will very likely happen. It's already fairly easy to use CRISPR in a home lab. It's a matter of time now, at least I think, before one or more of these becomes practical:
  2. Engineered viruses that knock out genes in humans and edit DNA cell by cell, gradually colonizing the person's native stem cells (and/or others) with a colony of person 2.0 cells.
Those strategies might fail catastrophically... probably will in some cases. There are people now who are dumb enough to just inject themselves with just straight CRISPR miasma (a seemingly useless act, unless it manages to kill you or cause an autoimmune disorder or something).

But eventually garage hackers will get the methods down. I think one problem that would arise early on is that brain hackers will make themselves insane, and maybe go postal, or run for President.

With a few exceptions, I'm not convinced this will go as well as bio-hacking optimists think it will. Consider how people tend to optimize already, in areas as diverse as farming, animal husbandry, video game characters, and business. Once a successful culture, hybrid, model, or template is developed, what do people do? They copy it and try to optimize some detail, maybe get a little bit faster or a little more disease resistant or whatever, but it emerges that all the copies are built on the same platform as the original success. So we get the Cavendish banana, the Belgian Blue cattle, the "double halberd whack wizard" (ahem or whatever), the local takeout Chinese restaurant.

Admittedly with some things we preserve more diversity than with others. But historically we're surprisingly neurotic about genetic optimizations. So much so that we tend to create monocultures, over and over throughout history, and those occasionally lead into tragic doom spirals. Chestnuts, Florida citrus, inbred purebred pets, hobby pigeons... for various reasons we create monocultures, which are then either (1) wiped out by a single disease or environmental change due to extreme lack of diversity (chestnuts, commercial citrus, future cavendish bananas), (2) accumulate an unsustainable number of harmful recessive traits and antagonistic alleles, so that they gradually become more sickly and shorter lived (purebred animals and land-title-preservation inbreeding in royals), or (3) optimized for a problem that ceases to exist, and therefore become useless to their maintainers and go extinct (think pigeons).

So that's what we do. When we start modifying ourselves, optimized men will become myostatin-inhibited muscle monsters with no fear, extreme motivation and aggressive goal-seeking, juiced memory, multi-threaded cognitive enhancements (hehe), and they'll likely be psychotic just from the combination of those things, but if not, hubris or the occasional lesion on the amygdala caused by the fear-reduction therapy will deliver them to the bank of madness.

Of course, once that emerges they'll be mobbed by people who don't want to reenact Planet of the Apes, and the biohackers will try something else.

I know, this is getting "out there." Maybe that's not what people will do, or maybe it will be much more subtle. But here's where I think it gets interesting...

There's an argument against this. You can say "But Rabby... domestic animals are not extinct, yet many wild species are." This is true, but many domestic species, breeds and variants are also extinct. There are chickens, tomatoes, horses, pigeons, maize, dogs, apples, etc that once were pervasive, and now are gone. And others that are "heirloom" and a few people preserve them or market them to biodiversity nerds. And the species, variants, etc that remain do so only as long as the problem they're solving continues. For dogs this is easy by the way... they mostly have to be loyal, and cute in some monstrously funny way. Maybe useful as herders, pointer, retrievers, etc. But even dogs have many breeds we've left behind... Belgian mastiffs, Chiribaya dogs, Sakhalin huskies.

Now let's just say you've biohacked yourself into a Cavendish banana of a person, or a Sakhalin husky of a person. How confindent are you that the modifications are reversible? I'm not... have you ever seen someone un-go through puberty, shrink from reverse growth hormone, melt their brains into a pre-pruning state, and become a 7 year old child after having been a 48 year old power lifter? No? Short of reincarnation, you never will either. It's like the broken glass problem... once the transformation happens, there's no way to reverse it. So engineering yourself into a dead end seems bad right? Especially once we start talking germ line edits.

This is why I think normal people are good. They might not be optimized to whatever someone thinks "the problem" is, but they have an amazing advantage. That is, they don't respond too quickly to new optimization problems, reach optima in one generation, and become obsolete in the next.

I think it would turn out that natural selection and the more healthy forces of adaptation pressure serve us better than consciously optimizing ourselves at the genetic level. Just like we keep going back to Kenya for wild coffee plants when we ruin the commercial ones, "wild" people will probably be the line that endures. Looking at the past, when we've mixed optimization (of land title and right to rule) with our own genes, this proved true. How many royals are there? How many heirs to the male Hapsberg line, once headed by the very royalness-optimized Charles II of Spain?

So... in a nutshell, or maybe a coconut shell, that's what I think. I'm not as optimistic as Hawking that we'll do it right, at all. I think there's a lot of evidence that we'll do it wrong. And if we fail to preserve more-or-less normal human lines, we'll be increasing our risk of extinction.
Sometimes you read something that blows your mind, while simultaneously making you feel you’re still a kid in kindergarten.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd probably accept that, assuming the amount was justified and the deal made sense. So if I was to be paid $10k, then I better be sent $0.12 BTC and not $0.12 DOGE lol
If you get paid in crypto then it’s not tied to a USD amount. Your salary would become .10 BTC/hr or a job estimate would be .5 BTC. And it could be 30000 DOGE too.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
If you get paid in crypto then it’s not tied to a USD amount. Your salary would become .10 BTC/hr or a job estimate would be .5 BTC. And it could be 30000 DOGE too.

I didn't think I made the claim it was tied to USD. My point was that the amount of compensation should still be justified based on the currency's current value and that $0.12 BTC is not equivalent to $0.12 DOGE.

(If I gave off the wrong idea due to my use of the $ symbol, that was simply to illustrate that it's "money" and was not to imply $0.12 USD/CAD converted to BTC/DOGE. I suppose it was just habit to write it that way.)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Each time I'm learning something new, I experience two things:

1. I'm humbled how little I know. Each new field is a completely new world with such a wealth of information you can dedicate your entire life to it and you'll never know it all.

2. I'm extremely grateful how easy it is to learn these days. The quality of educational blog posts or videos on YouTube is usually well beyond what "traditional" education would offer. In 15 minutes, when studying a new field, you can learn so much it's incredible.

I'm currently learning how to freedive. It's unbelievably humbling but also fascinating how it's like a new world about which you know nothing and it's rarely talked about in everyday life, yet there are so many experts who do things that are well beyond understanding of how it's even possible.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Each time I'm learning something new, I experience two things:

1. I'm humbled how little I know. Each new field is a completely new world with such a wealth of information you can dedicate your entire life to it and you'll never know it all.

2. I'm extremely grateful how easy it is to learn these days. The quality of educational blog posts or videos on YouTube is usually well beyond what "traditional" education would offer. In 15 minutes, when studying a new field, you can learn so much it's incredible.

I'm currently learning how to freedive. It's unbelievably humbling but also fascinating how it's like a new world about which you know nothing and it's rarely talked about in everyday life, yet there are so many experts who do things that are well beyond understanding of how it's even possible.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Rabby, you are by far one of the smartest people on the whole forum!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
anyone have some wins that they want to share?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Doing a freediving course now (AIDA 2) and I was really nervous during the first two days. It can get extremely scary and traumatic if you don't relax. Being nervous burns a lot of oxygen so you get more CO2 in your blood and feel the urge to breathe much sooner.

So I approached today with the sole goal to be relaxed, regardless of the performance. It felt so much better and I doubled my time underwater while feeling much more relaxed than during the previous days. So I count that as a big win as I find the mental challenges the most difficult to deal with.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Had a Zoom call with a newish client today. Three people were on the call and I really enjoyed it. It reminds me how much fun it can be working with a client who takes an interest and is prepared to take action.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia

Starting to get external validation for my work.

- Attorneys and accountants returning my calls to provide referrals and guidance.

- Friends & family members who I haven't spoken to in a while reaching out to say things like: "heard you'redoing pretty well" & "heard you're working on big projects, not the least bit surprised".

- My business and personal network in general is starting to respond to me in the way I've always wanted.

Now it's just a matter of bringing everything home.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Today, after a year of drawing, I figured out how the human body flows and how to translate the flowing movement to paper.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Doing a freediving course now (AIDA 2) and I was really nervous during the first two days. It can get extremely scary and traumatic if you don't relax. Being nervous burns a lot of oxygen so you get more CO2 in your blood and feel the urge to breathe much sooner.

So I approached today with the sole goal to be relaxed, regardless of the performance. It felt so much better and I doubled my time underwater while feeling much more relaxed than during the previous days. So I count that as a big win as I find the mental challenges the most difficult to deal with.
I remember I was supposed to drive from London up to Scotland one Friday after work.

I decided to watch a movie first and let traffic die down.

I watched “The Big Blue” and it got to me so much I postponed the drive till the morning as I didn’t trust myself to drive.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sometimes you read something that blows your mind, while simultaneously making you feel you’re still a kid in kindergarten.
I’m not sure I made that clear. Reading @Rabby ’s reply makes me feel like my knowledge, vocabulary, and writing is kindergarten grade!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
There was a movie with Ethan Hawke called Gattaca that explores how humans are all edited in the womb, and those who are not are second class.

It has been a long time since I have watched this, but I remember it being pretty good.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.