The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
"The healthy man asks not for so much for happiness as for an opportunity to exercise his capacities. And if he must pay the penalty of pain for this freedom and this power, he makes it cheerfully - it is not too great a price. We need resistance to raise us, as it raises the airplane or the bird. We need obstacles against which to sharpen our strength and stimulate our growth. Life without tragedy would be unworthy of a man."

-The Story of Philosophy
I love everything about this quote.
I subscribed to the google trends newsletter because i wanted to know what people googled the most on a daily basis. I asked the info for three countries:

1. Belgium
2. France
3. USA

Here's what I found after 8 weeks.

#1 topic: SPORTS: the number 1 topic people google by far, is sports, equally in the three countries.

#2 topic: famous people (especially when they are dead): when a famous person says or does something extraordinary, or gets arrested by the police, people google it en masse.

#3 topic: the news

That surprised me to be honest. I thought people would google "how to make money" or "how to be happy".
That's not all that surprising.

What do all those things have in common? They are events based. They are time based. They are fleeting. And the stories and content are changing daily.

Of course people Google how to make money, or how to be happy. But at any given moment, not that not as many people are interested in that as are interested in their local sporting events. Why?

As an example, I will Google did the Suns win several times a month, because I often don't watch the games, but I still want to know. The season and the sports team changes, but it's something I'll probably keep doing for many years. In contrast, I don't need to Google how do I make money several times a month for years...

It's been a while since I've been to a wedding, so maybe I'm not fresh on how things work, but I got this in the mail and it doesn't sit right with me. It's from a family member I've had no contact with in 15 years or more. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but it seems like they want to have a wedding and honeymoon and they want me to pay for it. At my last wedding, I didn't ask anyone for anything.

View attachment 37501

Also, without this note, I would've sent a gift but probably wouldn't have attended. With the note, I probably won't do either.

I don't get why the gift of money is considered tacky. To me, money is such a useful gift. I enjoy giving it and receiving it. It's probably my favorite gift.

Side rant, I really don't get gift cards. That's just a way to give cash without actually giving cash. The only solution that that solves is overcoming the tackiness of giving cash. I can't tell you how many bed bath & beyond or crate and barrel gift cards went unused after our wedding.

It is common for people getting married to put a wedding registry together. It's a way to let people know hey this is the things that we really need if you want to help support us. Nothing wrong with that, how is this different?

I suppose once upon a time that was considered tacky, but once upon a time society kind of knew what people should give at weddings. And once upon a time giving money at weddings was pretty common. Still is, depending on culture.

But these folks ask for help funding an experience instead of things, and we think that's tacky? I don't get it. Maybe the notion that this is tacky is just societal scripting.

It's not like they made the demand. It's not like they're expecting it. They're requesting it. They said if we're lucky enough to get a gift...

Would you feel better if you had sent an actual gift, and then they hauked it on Facebook behind your back? I think that would be tacky. They were honest and transparent and as respectful about it as possible. I say send them a few bucks.

#MakeCashGiftsGreatAgain

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

I love everything about this quote.

That's not all that surprising.

What do all those things have in common? They are events based. They are time based. They are fleeting. And the stories and content are changing daily.

Of course people Google how to make money, or how to be happy. But at any given moment, not that not as many people are interested in that as are interested in their local sporting events. Why?

As an example, I will Google did the Suns win several times a month, because I often don't watch the games, but I still want to know. The season and the sports team changes, but it's something I'll probably keep doing for many years. In contrast, I don't need to Google how do I make money several times a month for years...

I don't get why the gift of money is considered tacky. To me, money is such a useful gift. I enjoy giving it and receiving it. It's probably my favorite gift.

Side rant, I really don't get gift cards. That's just a way to give cash without actually giving cash. The only solution that that solves is overcoming the tackiness of giving cash. I can't tell you how many bed bath & beyond or crate and barrel gift cards went unused after our wedding.

It is common for people getting married to put a wedding registry together. It's a way to let people know hey this is the things that we really need if you want to help support us. Nothing wrong with that, how is this different?

I suppose once upon a time that was considered tacky, but once upon a time society kind of knew what people should give at weddings. And once upon a time giving money at weddings was pretty common. Still is, depending on culture.

But these folks ask for help funding an experience instead of things, and we think that's tacky? I don't get it. Maybe the notion that this is tacky is just societal scripting.

It's not like they made the demand. It's not like they're expecting it. They're requesting it. They said if we're lucky enough to get a gift...

Would you feel better if you had sent an actual gift, and then they hauked it on Facebook behind your back? I think that would be tacky. They were honest and transparent and as respectful about it as possible. I say send them a few bucks.

#MakeCashGiftsGreatAgain

Oh I may not have understood Lex's post but I don't find cash as a gift tacky.

The tacky thing was how they asked for it.

Kind of childishly - they sent a letter and were basically like "heyyy soooo, uh, if you wanna be super cool you can send some money, thanks"

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Oh I may not have understood Lex's post but I don't find cash as a gift tacky.

The tacky thing was how they asked for it.

Kind of childishly - they sent a letter and were basically like "heyyy soooo, uh, if you wanna be super cool you can send some money, thanks"

Ok, I guess I didn't read it as childish, but more like they felt a little embarrassed to be asking. In a lot of families this is a touchy subject. For the sake of discussion, what's the right way to ask for money as a gift? "In leiu of gifts, please donate to the honeymoon fund?" :rofl:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

#MakeCashGiftsGreatAgain
Hmm, I get what you are saying, and I don't have a problem with the gift being cash. Part of the problem for me is held within a piece of missing context that comes from what I do know about the individuals. There is almost certainly an expectation, although it might not be clear to those who haven't had experiences with them. We haven't connected in 15 years or so, but our families are still closely connected.

Ok, I guess I didn't read it as childish, but more like they felt a little embarrassed to be asking. In a lot of families this is a touchy subject. For the sake of discussion, what's the right way to ask for money as a gift? "In leiu of gifts, please donate to the honeymoon fund?" :rofl:

My wife and I talked over what it would take to get a cash gift in a situation like this. My thought was, if they had offered something in exchange, then I would probably consider a cash gift. I wouldn't have to take them up on their offer to give cash, but I would appreciate it that they made an offer at all. Preferably an offer by the groom since I'm old-fashioned in the idea of a man providing for his family and not asking for handouts for leisure.

If I were going to ask someone for cash for an experience that I couldn't afford, and that I don't necessarily need, then I would offer something in exchange - to pay them back with interest, to perform some kind of service. Something of value.

Maybe an alternative would be to set up a GoFundMe campaign and let people know that they can donate anonymously. Call that the honeymoon fund and remove the option of gifting other stuff. Then there is no expectation of gifts and nobody has to compare themselves socially to other guests as gifts are opened and names are thanked.

Either way, I agree, definitely a touchy subject and I'm not great at social correctness. But I did find this shirt that I liked yesterday:

men-zippo-man-1_2000x.jpg

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Why does Upwork care if I captured image of their platform while performing a video review of an individual's account at their request? This doesn't seem warranted.

Upwork.PNG

Maybe it's because the video is titled "Ahmad's Upwork Profile Review"?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

IDK, it is awkward to beg or ask for gifts, money, a job, anything.

What I would do is send out the wedding invitations with a note at the bottom that says something to the effect of "If you wish to send a gift, a donation would be preferred"

It just read very awkwardly and kind of presumptuous, like they don't just want you to give them money, but they expect it, and by golly if you don't you just aren't a kind person.

Then like Lex said, he never hears from these people except when they want something.

I know the type!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@WillHurtDontCare -- based on your latest posts, I'm guessing you'd like this vid...

D

Deleted78083

It's been a while since I've been to a wedding, so maybe I'm not fresh on how things work, but I got this in the mail and it doesn't sit right with me. It's from a family member I've had no contact with in 15 years or more. Maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but it seems like they want to have a wedding and honeymoon and they want me to pay for it. At my last wedding, I didn't ask anyone for anything.

View attachment 37501

Also, without this note, I would've sent a gift but probably wouldn't have attended. With the note, I probably won't do either.

First thought: there is 1/2 chance that this wedding ends up in a divorce. As such, there is 1/2 chance that whatever money you send them will go to waste.

Second thought: It's both rude and sad. In Belgium, in the higher middle-class catholic social class I have lived in, soon-to-be-married people ask to donate money to the charity of their choice.

Third thought: related to the first thought, you'd be better off gambling the money you were going to send them. Try roulette, and go all-in on black.

It's always black.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@Lex DeVille

We are on the receiving end at the moment with all the baby shower/first baby gifts and stuff.

The last thing I’d ever want to come across like is ungrateful, but these people have been demanding. We put simple $10-50 type crap on the list just to playcate everyone... They got MAD and demanded higher ticket stuff be on the registries.

Sometimes it’s like a charity auction or something. She who brings the biggest and most expensive gift to the shower wins. Oneupmanship is a powerful motivator.

We have baby stuff for days! We would have been more than fine buying this stuff ourselves, but what the heck I guess. Presents are easily into the several thousands of dollars at this point. Thankful, but wow. They completed our entire list... Literally everything we needed.

Point is it is a tough line to walk. I hate asking for stuff. I don’t like favors, but there is an expectation still there to consider as well.

They may be trying to walk the line the best they can. Maybe some of our high ticket stuff we stuck on there, literally by request, was gauche to the poor people. Sometimes you never win.

They may just be actually gauche pieces of crap. Given that it’s been 15 years, maybe that’s the case.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

@Lex DeVille

We are on the receiving end at the moment with all the baby shower/first baby gifts and stuff.

The last thing I’d ever want to come across like is ungrateful, but these people have been demanding. We put simple $10-50 type crap on the list just to playcate everyone... They got MAD and demanded higher ticket stuff be on the registries.

Sometimes it’s like a charity auction or something. She who brings the biggest and most expensive gift to the shower wins. Oneupmanship is a powerful motivator.

We have baby stuff for days! We would have been more than fine buying this stuff ourselves, but what the heck I guess. Presents are easily into the several thousands of dollars at this point. Thankful, but wow. They completed our entire list... Literally everything we needed.

Point is it is a tough line to walk. I hate asking for stuff. I don’t like favors, but there is an expectation still there to consider as well.

They may be trying to walk the line the best they can. Maybe some of our high ticket stuff we stuck on there, literally by request, was gauche to the poor people. Sometimes you never win.

They may just be actually gauche pieces of crap. Given that it’s been 15 years, maybe that’s the case.
I think it’s all in the way you ask.

knowing you I don’t imagine it would have been a problem. Definitely not an issue :)

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
There comes a point in each person's life where you tell someone you love them for the last time.

I'd suggest working to make sure that you don't end up wishing that you'd told them that more often.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Hey @MJ DeMarco hows it going?

Would you mind writing a bit about your experience converting over to vegan and some pointers? Might even deserve it's own thread, have an awesome sunny Phoenix day!

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

This is pretty interesting considering one of the best athletes in the world is.... :eek: vegan!

While nutritional orthodoxy says you need protein-packed meats for strength, muscle growth and recovery, Diaz's example challenges this.

The Stockton fighter is one of the fittest men in the UFC. His training is hard and intense and you only have to look at his performance at 10 days' notice against McGregor to see what an athlete he is. Diaz said:

"I like to promote the vegan industry. I hear a lot of criticism from people saying you need meat to be strong and for recovery, and it's a bunch of bullsh*t, because I train harder than everybody.
"It's so easy to argue with these people. I'm like, 'Dude, have you done a tenth of what I've done?'"

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Speaking of going vegan, a business broker I talked to had a great deal on a company that sells Vegan (gluten free, soy free, sugar free) breakfast food - I won't say much more (but I never signed the NDA). Six figures of cash flow, 200k - ish asking price.

I can't invest in that right now (all tied up), but if anyone is interested, send me a PM and if you're serious I'll connect y'all with the broker.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Aug 13, 2018
There comes a point in each person's life where you tell someone you love them for the last time.

I'd suggest working to make sure that you don't end up wishing that you'd told them that more often.
In 2018, I called my grandfather on father's day, just to wish him a happy father's day and let him know I loved him. I had never called him on father's day before, but I just thought of it that day. I was in another country, so I even had to use international minutes on my phone to call, but I did. It wasn't a long conversation. I was at an airport, waiting for a layover. I could tell he was really happy and surprised to hear from me.

A month later, he had a stroke, and he has been bedridden and unable to speak ever since.

When I found out about the stroke, I was so glad I had called him when I thought of it.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Look what I found today guys! I wrote this last year. In about 1-2 weeks, I'll know for certain if I was wrong in that it would take much less time to hit this number!

Back track 2 years, this seemed unrealistic, almost impossible. Ah, life is strange.

Attachments

• IMG_7307.jpg
    IMG_7307.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 33

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Would you mind writing a bit about your experience converting over to vegan and some pointers? Might even deserve it's own thread, have an awesome sunny Phoenix day!

I'll think it over.

I try to keep vegan topics off the forum except in the one designated thread since the topic is no different than a discussion on politics or religion.

That thread is here...

... I might have mentioned some things in there.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Dude you’ve been curious about it for weeks... Just stop eating things that aren’t vegan and see what happens.

Like any big health change, it is probably hard in the beginning, but ultimately brings results if you can stick with it.

I’m personally trying to find the diet lifestyle I can live with. Not a weight loss program. An actual lifestyle that maintains peak mental and physical health. Vegetarianism is something I’m personally considering just for the health benefits.

Meat alternatives are also great these days IMO.

Look up the life expectancy of a 7th Day Adventist... Then check out their diet.

Last edited:

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Dude you’ve been curious about it for weeks... Just stop eating things that aren’t vegan and see what happens.

Like any big health change, it is probably hard in the beginning, but ultimately brings results if you can stick with it.

I’m personally trying to find the diet lifestyle I can live with. Not a weight loss program. An actual lifestyle that maintains peak mental and physical health. Vegetarianism is something I’m personally considering just for the health benefits.

Look up the life expectancy of a 7th Day Adventist... Then check out their diet.

I've been trying some vegan stuff although it hasn't been exactly ''hitting'' the spot for me. I'm still craving meat like a crackhead waiting on the next hit. Last night I had some chicken but felt kinda disgusted after the fact, maybe I can try out a short fast to kinda reset my body.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I've been trying some vegan stuff although it hasn't been exactly ''hitting'' the spot for me. I'm still craving meat like a crackhead waiting on the next hit. Although last night I had some chicken but felt kinda disgusted after the fact, maybe I can try out a short fast to kinda reset my body.

LOL try the Impossible Whopper. It’s indistinguishable.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Why does Upwork care if I captured image of their platform while performing a video review of an individual's account at their request? This doesn't seem warranted.

View attachment 37508

Maybe it's because the video is titled "Ahmad's Upwork Profile Review"?
Guess their search bots got a tad too sensitive...

I'm sure there are already a bazillion gurus out there doing Upwork profile reviews...so what's the harm?

Sent an email to Upwork on that?

I've been trying some vegan stuff although it hasn't been exactly ''hitting'' the spot for me. I'm still craving meat like a crackhead waiting on the next hit. Last night I had some chicken but felt kinda disgusted after the fact, maybe I can try out a short fast to kinda reset my body.
Yup, some fasting or even a meal reduction (cut down carbs, meal sizes, number of meals a day) can help.

I'd love the vegan pathway as well, but for the life of me, I still can't get away from fish.
It's probably the only meat I can't think of quitting.
I've tried 'soya fish meat' before, but it's even worse than the fake burger patties. Too gamey and too pungent.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Guess their search bots got a tad too sensitive...

I'm sure there are already a bazillion gurus out there doing Upwork profile reviews...so what's the harm?

Sent an email to Upwork on that?

Yup, some fasting or even a meal reduction (cut down carbs, meal sizes, number of meals a day) can help.

I'd love the vegan pathway as well, but for the life of me, I still can't get away from fish.
It's probably the only meat I can't think of quitting.
I've tried 'soya fish meat' before, but it's even worse than the fake burger patties. Too gamey and too pungent.

Chicken is the hardest one for me, heck even rice has some dairy in it when I checked the ingredients which I'm making now.

I tried a vegan pizza that was made here in Vancouver but couldn't stomach the smell of it, the birds that live outside by my window in a tree enjoyed it though..:praise:

I'll keep giving it a try, I don't think it will be an easy transition as my whole life (over 2 decades) has been the traditional Canadian / American style meals.... chicken breasts, nuggets, etc.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Meat alternatives are also great these days IMO.

Bro. Bruh. Homie. Mane. Dog. Dawg.

Check it out....

Mediterranean Keto.

I went through several stages during my "weight loss", and "maintenance" period. From All Meat to All Vegetarian.

Hands down. The best thing I have discovered in my life.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Went up snowboarding yesterday and at the cafe / ticket place I was *refused* service because I didn't have a debit or credit card... apparently this cashless thing is really happening.

This would never work in the city, but I just went around asking people to buy my ticket and food with their card and give them my cash after traveling nearly 2 hours there was no way I'm just going to wait 6 hours for the bus to come back, one guy made a good 17$ profit, just handed him 100 bucks and the ticket was $83. Quite ridiculous, that someone can be refused service after paying cash for the bus shuttle to go up the mountain

Ah, first world problems great to have. Maybe it doesn't really matter as the company is likely making hundreds of millions, but I really believe when you are in a service based business the customer's experience should be as perfect as can be, I'll consider visiting again but don't exactly feel like a kid on the 23rd of December type excitement at the thought of going up there again :wideyed:

Please if you have a business that is experience oriented you should back over backwards and jump through hoops of fire to make the customer happy, not say oh yes we understand you took 2 hours out of your day to come here, but we cannot accept your legal tender.

Great day overall though.
similar story here in India,

got stopped because of stopping on the sidewalk(common in India), officer wanted card only for the fine.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
Reminds me of....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCatPYfIG8s

You guys have a funny police force!
Its funny actually.

This is the clip from last year when cases and were skyrocketing and people weren't taking care. I don't think this is wrong as smart people don't go out completely when they announced nationwide lockdown, at the same time there are not many educated or labour class which were suffering as the lockdown announcement was like "from tomorrow there is lockdown" time was 8 PM, which was unfair for the labours and several others. This is not the case now.

there is soo much man I want to say, but I would tell you to click this link. you don't need a mask to attend this, their political campaign. (I don't know exact laws so I am refraining from sharing as I have heard sometimes If you speak against a certain political party it's not good, not china but you can never be sure).

the best thing about being aware is you see yourself as a citizen of the world.

D

Deleted78083

Bill Gates wants to "dim the sun".

The idea is to spread chemicals in the atmosphere so that the reflections of the sun are derived, or something like that.

Can someone tell the guy he doesnt own the planet?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.