The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Nice study on "charm pricing"

gumroad-charm-price-testing.jpg

"However, charm pricing’s value influence (and conversion impact) depends on what you’re selling. You may find better success with round numbers. Research shows rounded prices work more for “emotional purchases” such as clothing, versus rational purchases like groceries. And for some reason, shoppers love nines. One research study shows pricing an item at $39 instead of $40 sells better than even the same item at $34. "

via Pricing psychology: 6 ways to influence perceived value

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
Solution for world's obesity problem.

Let's add 300% tax on anything sweet. Both as a end product and as a sweetener.

While it might seem silly, think about it.
What laws of economics say about price and demand?

And now's the scary part :eek: .

Do you know why 150mln people in states are obese or overweight?

Because no political party will risk their political future by losing votes of
half of the country.

That's why people are obese, have obesity related problems and die.

It's like killing in the name of 4 years of right to make law bills and tweet as prominent political figures.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States

Put pictures of clogged arteries on all packaging? Like cigarette packages.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Solution for world's obesity problem.

While it might seem silly, thing about it.
What laws of economics say about price and demand?

And now's the scary part :eek: .

Do you know why 150mln people in states are obese or overweight?

Because no political party will risk their political future by losing votes of
half of the country.

That's why people are obese, have obesity related problems and die.

It's like killing in the name of 4 years of right to make law bills and tweet as prominent political figures.

There was me thinking obesity was caused by people making bad decisions or just not giving af.

I had no idea we could just legislate the problems of the world away.

Here

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 6, 2019
You can buy junk food on food stamps but no vitamins or supplements. I always figured it was for the votes. I think of protein powder being more a food than soda or energy drinks.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I had a dream where Old Town Road was playing constantly on repeat. And I haven't even listened to it in over a month.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I really hate it when I can feel it in my gut that somebody’s using the forum (With a brilliant but sneaky af marketing way I might add) to just get clients. *grumpy face

Grrrr. Grrr!!!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I really hate it when I can feel it in my gut that somebody’s using the forum (With a brilliant but sneaky af marketing way I might add) to just get clients. *grumpy face

Grrrr. Grrr!!!
I usually just call them out.
I think I know who you're talking about. I'll give it a couple more posts though until I'm sure ;)

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I usually just call them out.
I think I know who you're talking about. I'll give it a couple more posts though until I'm sure ;)
yea it's a complete doctoring of the forum

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Why do non-U.S. English speakers refer to "math" as "maths"?

History isn't histories.

Literature isn't literatures.

Etc.

Speak 'merican! :)

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Aug 13, 2018
I'm not from the UK, and I don't say "Maths," but the full word is "mathematics." So there's a logic to it.

It's not like we can justify our way by saying that we also say "mathematic."

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA

Grrrr. Grrr!!!
yeah its interesting because people like Andy Black use the forum to get clients, and we're all glad they do. We cheer them on. I think its because they provide a ton of value in addition to subtly promoting their service.

People that don't provide enough value, and also promote themselves, are just annoying.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
This is so sad. Seriously. My eyes are literally watering. I can't imagine what that family is going through.

It doesn't help much that I just had a friend die last week from a similar accidental shooting either.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Just ranting about our credit rating system. 800+ credit goes down to 690, because I paid off a loan. Ironically, I paid off the mortgage so that it would lower my debt to income ratio so that I could apply for a new mortgage. Guess I need to wait a month or two for it to pop back up.

Untitled.png

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria

History isn't histories.

Literature isn't literatures.

Etc.

Speak 'merican! :)
In German its Mathematik. There is no plural at all. And you say matematik, the h is not spoken at all.
But maths sounds cooler than math, I think. Imagine, that 90 percent of non english people cant say th. They allways say ss instead! So in dead they dont say maths, but massss.

Imo, needn t be true!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Just ranting about our credit rating system. 800+ credit goes down to 690, because I paid off a loan. Ironically, I paid off the mortgage so that it would lower my debt to income ratio so that I could apply for a new mortgage. Guess I need to wait a month or two for it to pop back up.

View attachment 28099

Some guys in a real estate group that I attend were talking about this recently. One of them is doing quite well, but because they haven't used banks or credit cards often, he has a mediocre credit score.

It's like credit score is more of a measure of how well you follow the script than how well you can pay off a loan.

Have you investigated non-bank / private lenders for a loan? You could probably convince a person (meaning not a big institution) that despite your unimpressive credit score, you are more than capable of covering your payments for the foreseeable future.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

View attachment 28099

Oof I'm not an expert but I was a banker and could it be that it hurt you so much because without it your total credit is less, or that was your oldest account and now your average is less, maybe?

When I divorced and (my one and only) requested that he refinanced the mortgage to get me out of the loan (idk why he put me in there honestly, we didn't even use my income) it didn't do anything to my score. I had never seen this.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Oof I'm not an expert but I was a banker and could it be that it hurt you so much because without it your total credit is less, or that was your oldest account and now your average is less, maybe?

When I divorced and (my one and only) requested that he refinanced the mortgage to get me out of the loan (idk why he put me in there honestly, we didn't even use my income) it didn't do anything to my score. I had never seen this.

This has happened to me before, so I was prepared for it. I just wanted to rant about how stupid the system is.

Last October, I had a credit score of 830+. I paid off 2 mortgages in full. Then I remodeled my house. I put all the payments on a credit card (for the miles), so its balance went from $1000 to $25000 (limit was $30k). These 3 events dropped my score down to 620! Down 200 pts, I was like WTF? Now I was as just shitty as people with a ton debt and late payments! A month later, I paid off my CC. 2 months later I was back up to 750.

Basically, when you pay off a mortgage, it's a credit account being closed. So before I paid that off, I had 2 loans and $1k CC debt, with $29k credit to spare.

Then I paid off the mortgages, now I have 2 closed accounts and my debt to credit ratio became $26k to $30k. So now it looks like I'm maxed out and people have shut down 2 of my loans. Instant credit risk!

If you are planning to buy a home, you need to prepare 3 months in advance in order to be "perfect" to get that mortgage. You need to keep your CC balances low compared to your limits. You need to have stable accounts with nothing crazy going on during this time period.

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
This has happened to me before, so I was prepared for it. I just wanted to rant about how stupid the system is.

Last October, I had a credit score of 830+. I paid off 2 mortgages in full. Then I remodeled my house. I put all the payments on a credit card (for the miles), so its balance went from $1000 to $25000 (limit was $30k). These 3 events dropped my score down to 620! Down 200 pts, I was like WTF? Now I was as just shitty as people with a ton debt and late payments! A month later, I paid off my CC. 2 months later I was back up to 750.

Basically, when you pay off a mortgage, it's a credit account being closed. So before I paid that off, I had 2 loans and $1k CC debt, with $29k credit to spare.

Then I paid off the mortgages, now I have 2 closed accounts and my debt to credit ratio became $26k to $30k. So now it looks like I'm maxed out and people have shut down 2 of my loans. Instant credit risk!

If you are planning to buy a home, you need to prepare 3 months in advance in order to be "perfect" to get that mortgage. You need to keep your CC balances low compared to your limits. You need to have stable accounts with nothing crazy going on during this time period.

That's good to know. Both my AMEX have 17k limit and the Visa I just opened to get rewards from Amazon started at 4500. rn I'm at 800ish score. I pay them all in full and never really go over $2k balance before paying them off. Other than that I don't have any loans so I should be ready once I save the money for the down payment, providing nothing crazy happens, fingers crossed.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014

Call your credit cards and request a limit increase. I did this on all mine and got a 50 point bump in a month. Only one that refused was capital one, their logic being that since I never used the card I shouldn't need a higher limit o_O

foodiepersecond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 2, 2019
Atlanta, Georgia

View attachment 28099
Have you done the "boost" option which links your utilities to you credit score? It will boost it up a few points. Good in the long run but I still see what you mean on how wonky it can get when it comes to credit scores.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
Chemical castration for a seven year old.. wtf.

There’s a female pediatrician down the road from me fighting in court w/ her husband over one of their twin boys. The final decision is on Wednesday but the judge has already ruled on one point so far.

The doctor/mother says that one of the twins is actually transgender. She enrolled him in school under a girl’s name. She dresses him in girl clothes at her house. The ex husband dresses both boys as boys at his house. The custody hearing was last week and is still going on.

The judge ruled today that the mother will be allowed to schedule her son for chemical transitioning.

He’s seven.

FWIW I hate that site. They’re clearly prejudiced and using the story to gain clicks. The Dad shouldn’t have made it public... but.. if he hadn’t.. who would know?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
yeah its interesting because people like Andy Black use the forum to get clients, and we're all glad they do. We cheer them on. I think its because they provide a ton of value in addition to subtly promoting their service.

People that don't provide enough value, and also promote themselves, are just annoying.
Aha! But I don't "use the forum to get clients". I figured out how to get clients long before I joined the forum:
  • By agreeing to meet anyone who wanted to have a coffee and chat about Google Ads in Dublin when I worked there. (Hence my affinity to the phrase "Diesel and Coffee".)
  • And by doing a good job and/or having a good process so that clients referred me onto other business owners (regardless of whether they got results or not funnily enough).

I joined this forum because I like being in a community of business owners (my intro is here), and I came with a suitcase of Google Ads articles that I dropped in here when I made it my new online home (the previous paid forum I inhabited shutdown). I know I was viewed with suspicion because I dropped all that content pretty soon after joining. But I never pitched anything, and never did for a few years until I created a marketplace ad for a course that I had to create because people kept PM'ing me if I had a course.

What I find even more interesting is that I didn't want to get clients from the forum. 1) Don't sh*t on your doorstep 2) I didn't think the type of clients I served would be in forums or Facebook groups anyway.

What I have used the forum for is a place to help folks, figure out why they're getting stuck, figure out what content resonates/helps them, and then create posts so I don't keep repeating myself. (I wrote about it here actually: HOT TOPIC - How to use forums (and Facebook groups)).

My learning from talking about XYZ, helping people with XYZ, and being seen to help people with XYZ is that you get known as "The XYZ Guy/Gal". You know that's happening when other people tag you when someone has a problem with XYZ.

I actually don't think I subtly promote my service. I'm so damn busy I don't want any more inbound business, and prefer to get business in other ways.

The forum does bring me the occasional client, but I don't actively promote it or chase it. What's been more interesting for me is how I've got work from people in the forum referring people they know to me.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'm not from the UK, and I don't say "Maths," but the full word is "mathematics." So there's a logic to it.

It's not like we can justify our way by saying that we also say "mathematic."
Yeah... I don't get why folks call it "math".

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
I can't believe I'm commenting with brain donor facebook tier celeb gossip, but does anyone else kinda feel bad for the Full House chick?

She seems to be getting railroaded for something we poor folks assumed to be common practice at elite universities.

I'd hate to see anyone go to jail just for giving their kids every advantage they possibly can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.