The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
You are quite welcome! I figured the quote applied for this forum as well lol.
However, @StrikingViper69 did not seem to like it... :rofl:
At best, he sounds like he’s confusing confidence and arrogance. At worst he’s trying to undermine self confidence, which is a good and healthy thing.

It’s an awful quote.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 6, 2024
At best, he sounds like he’s confusing confidence and arrogance. At worst he’s trying to undermine self confidence, which is a good and healthy thing.

It’s an awful quote.
Perhaps you didn't read the ending. He was trying to undermine complete self-confidence, which is arrogance.

I am very sure that Chesterton agreed that one should have some level of understanding of their value or dignity.

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Perhaps you didn't read the ending. He was trying to undermine complete self-confidence, which is arrogance.

I am very sure that Chesterton agreed that one should have some level of understanding of their value or dignity.
That’s mincing words. Complete self confidence is being aware of what you do and do not know. Arrogance is something different.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And in other news from the land of bad ideas...

As an entrepreneur, you'd be better off opening a grocery store in Somalia.

1712849457881.png

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida

View attachment 55303
They genuinely at a fundamental level just do not get it do they? Why do I ask... we all know the answer.

TempusFugit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 6, 2024
That’s mincing words. Complete self confidence is being aware of what you do and do not know. Arrogance is something different.
Do you mean "mixing words"? Because ironically that's what you are doing here :rofl:

Sir, that is definitely not what complete self confidence means.

"Being aware of what you do and do not know" is humility, and confidence (etymologically speaking from the Latin "confido") means trust, that is, trusting in something or someone.

So then the question is, why is self-confidence fine and well while complete self-confidence is a weakness?
Because you cannot fully rely on yourself. Objectively you are where you stand today because of someone else. If you simply rely on only yourself, then you are saying that you basically have no one to thank but yourself. To quote Benjamin Franklin: "A man wrapped up in himself makes a very small bundle."

That's called pride, which is the opposite of humility.

In the context of this forum, proud entrepreneurs don't really get anywhere. Even if you purport that you have succeeded on your own, you needed some level of assistance from others to get to where you are now.

If you had to learn to code for your business to succeed, sure, you had to desire to learn (as is necessary), but who taught you? Even if you took a class on Codecademy, someone had to make that class for someone like you to learn.

Did your business require you to learn marketing? You probably spent many hours studying the art and executing your campaign for your business to do well, but the skill of marketing didn't suddenly appear of your own accord. Someone wrote the book you perhaps read, and someone made the design or the tools to design your business's marketing.

I don't say any of this to discount the hard work that one might have had to put in for their venture to flourish. I am saying, and so is Chesterton, that ultimately you will fail if you think you have no one to thank. This is a mindset thing. Have some humility and gratitude mixed in with your business ventures (or really any venture in life) and you won't go wrong.

edit: Maybe read the "gratitude" link that shows up

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States

Getting access to quality food is a problem in lower income urban areas, but opening stores up to lawsuits is not the answer. Seems like it would have the opposite intended effect, and prevent stores from wanting to open in certain areas in the first place.

Maybe a better approach would be property tax breaks to grocery stores in areas where cities struggle to keep a grocery store. Incentivize vs. penalize.

Or even better, putting more energy into fixing the root cause of why grocery stores are leaving, be that crime, homelessness, open drug use, or whatever else it is, as that article summary didn't specify.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

View attachment 55303

Atlas Shrugged gets more real every day.

Deal with crime... no!

Fine business owners shutting down from theft... yes!

This and the @Ravens_Shadow situation are just insane. Really hope USA can get back on track asap.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2024
I didn't find any better topic to ask, but can anyone help me with Google Ads spend. This first campaign was setup to have daily budget of 5€ but it somehow got to 101€ after day and a half of being active, second campaign I started few hours ago. This graph in the ads.google.com impressions are zero for both campaigns. I understand the technical reasons why it's hard for them to make them stick to correct amount, but this missed by a factor of 10. They gave me some over-delivery discount, so it's kinda okay. This seems like an easy way to throw away money if you are not watching over it like a hawk. They didn't even send me a email with the receipt after first 10€ threshold was reached, they just charged my card. If I didn't manually go check Billing tab, I wouldn't have known until the next month. Any advice on how to limit that spending effectively in the future?
1712852516899.png1712852275733.png

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Atlas Shrugged gets more real every day.

Deal with crime... no!

Fine business owners shutting down from theft... yes!

This and the @Ravens_Shadow situation are just insane. Really hope USA can get back on track asap.
It’s only going to get worse before it gets better

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
Really hope USA can get back on track asap.

The problem with USA is certain groups, entities and even individuals have gained way too much power. A lot of things in USA are simply self-governed to the point where there is no political representation.

A lot of this non-sense is simply a power-flex to displace and exclude. Like a mutative set of DNA instructions or a ransom note written by some lunatic.

I’m not sure how reversible or redeemable any of this is. LOL

The Ayn Rand Novellas are pretty good. If you feel like your ontology is being suppressed by the the collective system and you need to awaken deep within the hive.

Subsonic

How you do anything is how you do everything
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Aug 16, 2022
Germany
I didn't find any better topic to ask, but can anyone help me with Google Ads spend. This first campaign was setup to have daily budget of 5€ but it somehow got to 101€ after day and a half of being active, second campaign I started few hours ago. This graph in the ads.google.com impressions are zero for both campaigns. I understand the technical reasons why it's hard for them to make them stick to correct amount, but this missed by a factor of 10. They gave me some over-delivery discount, so it's kinda okay. This seems like an easy way to throw away money if you are not watching over it like a hawk. They didn't even send me a email with the receipt after first 10€ threshold was reached, they just charged my card. If I didn't manually go check Billing tab, I wouldn't have known until the next month. Any advice on how to limit that spending effectively in the future?
View attachment 55306View attachment 55304
Never had that issue.

I assume it was simply a mistake on their end due to some misfunction.
They can charge up to twice your daily bid on the first day but will average it out across the month.

If they refunded you its certainly a bug and you shouldn't worry about it.

If it keeps happening, nice, you get ads at an 80% discount.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia

View attachment 55303
“We made a bunch of stupid laws and now shops are closing, what do we do?”

“Just make a law that they can’t close duh”

Let’s just think for 2 seconds about the second order consequences of this.

1. Businesses are probably going to put their 6 months in now and close in 6 months time just in case they need to close and to avoid being sued. They’re already probably on the line of planning on closing anyway because of the other laws that created this problem.

2. No one in their right mind will open a new business in any of these areas because of the risk of it not working and them being sued.

3. Keep your shop open for 6 months with no stock in it rather than be sued. Now there’s a building being taken up by a store with no stock that’s just waiting out its 6 months.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Gee, I don't know, should I approve this new user?

View attachment 55291

Just a small sampling of the bogus/bs users that attempt to join. For every 10 spammer/backlinker/AI-bot/self-promoter, there is perhaps 1 or 2 actual people who want to change their life.
You screen everyone? Wow that’s a lot of work.

Bounce Back

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Dec 30, 2023
Florida
“We made a bunch of stupid laws and now shops are closing, what do we do?”

“Just make a law that they can’t close duh”

Let’s just think for 2 seconds about the second order consequences of this.

1. Businesses are probably going to put their 6 months in now and close in 6 months time just in case they need to close and to avoid being sued. They’re already probably on the line of planning on closing anyway because of the other laws that created this problem.

2. No one in their right mind will open a new business in any of these areas because of the risk of it not working and them being sued.

3. Keep your shop open for 6 months with no stock in it rather than be sued. Now there’s a building being taken up by a store with no stock that’s just waiting out its 6 months.
The outcome is communism if you work out what is going to have to happen for them to maintain any semblance of order - the likes of which currently isn't feasible with the Constitution so somethings gotta give.

The thing is tons of these mechanism have slowly been rolled out over decades, it is just picking up steam now. They are not a brand new concept (things like Cali's WARN act) so they shout "we have precedent/mandate!" but those didn't pass or become law with real consent because as we are going to learn real western civilization is always and has only ever been established by representative republics made up of patriotic, consenting, and aware folks. Note the aware part.

In the past that awareness came because there was the real and ongoing raids and wars that were never distant from mind. With the modern American intoxicated with easy debt, peak debased entertainment, and inversion of values its like saying you got consent from a hypnotized person to own their house. Legalistically they may have established these rules over time just as that hypnotist "obtained" that house.... but if/when the hypnotized person wakes up they are not going to care what they said when they were out of it (or the million rules and laws you made along the way of why they just have to accept it) ... and there may be some unexpected backlash.

Last edited:

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2024
Never had that issue.

I assume it was simply a mistake on their end due to some misfunction.
They can charge up to twice your daily bid on the first day but will average it out across the month.

If they refunded you its certainly a bug and you shouldn't worry about it.

If it keeps happening, nice, you get ads at an 80% discount.
Thank you for providing information. I'm guessing it might be something related to display ads.

RightyTighty

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
205%
May 31, 2023
Arkansas

1712849457881.png
The West Coast always cracks me up with the way they fight the symptoms while ignoring the problems. A few years ago when people pooping on the sidewalks in San Francisco increased dramatically they set up two crews in the sanitation department whose only job was to clean human excrement from city streets. Next, they set up a special hotline where you could phone in poop sightings and the team would add it to their cleanup list. And finally someone developed an app where you could take a poop photo and press a button and the poop pic and GPS coordinates would go straight to the poop squad command center.

Only in California would they think that the ultimate solution to people crapping on the sidewalks is a piece of software.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
And finally someone developed an app where you could take a poop photo and press a button and the poop pic and GPS coordinates would go straight to the poop squad command center.
Wish we had this in my city, lol.

Someone left a pile of liquified human shit in front of our warehouse door last night.

I didn't feel right asking any of my employees to deal with it, so I dealt with it.

Not the best way to start the day

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
After thousands of years of technological innovation and scientific progress:

A few years ago when people pooping on the sidewalks in San Francisco increased dramatically they set up two crews in the sanitation department whose only job was to clean human excrement from city streets.
someone developed an app where you could take a poop photo and press a button and the poop pic and GPS coordinates would go straight to the poop squad command center.
I'm sure our ancestors would be very proud to witness the pinnacle of human achievement and civilization of the 21st century.

random_username

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Mar 19, 2024
The West Coast always cracks me up with the way they fight the symptoms while ignoring the problems. A few years ago when people pooping on the sidewalks in San Francisco increased dramatically they set up two crews in the sanitation department whose only job was to clean human excrement from city streets. Next, they set up a special hotline where you could phone in poop sightings and the team would add it to their cleanup list. And finally someone developed an app where you could take a poop photo and press a button and the poop pic and GPS coordinates would go straight to the poop squad command center.

Only in California would they think that the ultimate solution to people crapping on the sidewalks is a piece of software.
This is the funniest thing I've read this week. Thank you for sharing this. My face hurts from laughing haha

nahidislamdr

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 13, 2024
Readed a lot of replies here and thought of sharing something. I have read the rules post too. But with intention I am really looking for advice.

I am from Asia and I have some kind of local business knowledge which is not relevant at all. I am a developer and kind of SEO guy. I want to start something like a company that helps people to automate their side hustle with a tool in one subscription. It have CRM, Project/Task/Human Resources, invoicing, lead and inventory system. But I am failing to grow conversation with my targeted clients like US/UK people. I am failing to get some feedback from them(even they're not registering or using active what they're doing is sending 100 mail limit like spam and gone). Also I lack proper business knowledge. Any suggestion?

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
In reading Good Profit by Charles Koch atm

Great book, very Ayn Randy

Anyway

I loved this quote

“What a tragedy to reach the end of your life and only be able to say “I got by without having to do too much””

Hit home

4HWW, shortcuts, outsourcing, efficiency, scaling easy stupid shit is cool, but it’s way cooler to pour your life and heart and soul into something cool and really work on and build it

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
In reading Good Profit by Charles Koch atm

Great book, very Ayn Randy

Anyway

I loved this quote

“What a tragedy to reach the end of your life and only be able to say “I got by without having to do too much””

Hit home

4HWW, shortcuts, outsourcing, efficiency, scaling easy stupid shit is cool, but it’s way cooler to pour your life and heart and soul into something cool and really work on and build it
Interesting, did you like it overall?

I read it last year and found it for the most part very abstract and generic.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Interesting, did you like it overall?

I read it last year and found it for the most part very abstract and generic.
I’m not finished it yet but here’s a few thoughts so far

1. It’s easy to read, great to unwind before I sleep which is what it’s for, it’s not dense or poorly written like a lot more practical books are
2. I like biographies purely because you get to see how these people think and operate, he is thinking bigger and operating differently, he talks about opportunities and the way he runs things from another level to a solo entrepreneur like me. Putting the right people in place etc.
3. He talks a lot about his Ayn Rand style view on absolute capitalism but applies some very practical and specific examples to it which is nice to reinforce and expand on my beliefs here, but its just reinforcing what I already believe so whatever
4. The operating principles so far are fine, but if you were reading this for them you’d be disappointed if you’d also read any similar books. Traction by Gino Wickham is far better and more practical for these.

So overall, as an easy to read biography 7/10, I’ll have to see if he has an actual biography because I’d like to read it if he does

As a management principles book which it is meant to be but I didn’t realise that before reading it anyway, 6/10. Not bad, you can’t argue with any of the principles, but there’s better more practical guides out there.

If you want management/practical books:
Traction by Gino Wickman 10/10
Corporate turnaround artistry 10/10
Profit first 6/10

I’m also reading The Road Less Stupid at the moment, only 2 chapters in and it’s amazing so far

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I’m also reading The Road Less Stupid at the moment, only 2 chapters in and it’s amazing so far
I'm actually reading this at the moment, it is indeed a great book. Teaches you how to think for yourself.

Andreas

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jul 22, 2011
For those who are experienced with intermittent fasting, what do you recommend drinking until the time to eat has come?

I am currently drinking tea with lemon peels with ginger root and stevia leaves (not premade packets) and I'm not sure if this is going to harm me in the long term.

I feel a lot more enrgized when I don't eat as much and I don't do intense exercise like gym. I walk every day for about an hour with my German Shepherd and I will start jogging when my legs regain their strength.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I'm actually reading this at the moment, it is indeed a great book. Teaches you how to think for yourself.
He has great questions in there to ask yourself, it’s taking me a long time to read because I keep stopping to think on them

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
For those who are experienced with intermittent fasting, what do you recommend drinking until the time to eat has come?
Avoid anything sweet (even if it has no sugar), as this has the potential to trigger an insulin response from the body.

This includes chewing gum or using very sweet toothpaste or mouthwash.

If insulin gets released prematurely and there is no actual glucose to dispose of in the system, ketone production and gluconeogenesis are halted, which means that you will be running on 0 fuel - translation: lethargy, brain fog, dizziness, etc.

When fasting, I only drink water (with or without electrolytes) or cold brewed black coffee with nothing added to it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.