The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
I recently bought the book the subtle art of not giving a F*ck,

So far it’s a great book, and I wanted to read it at school.

I bring it into class and start reading, and my English teacher takes my book, and goes to the principal’s office to see if it’s allowed.

He comes back and it’s not allowed, so I put it away.

I go home, and I put tape over the F*ck part of it, and bring it to class again, this time, I finished math test, and my math teacher tells me to read a book.

I tell her my book isn’t allowed and I show it to her, and she asked me to take off the tape, she saw the word and shrugged her shoulders.

At this point, the class is beginning to notice, and a girl shouts out

“My dad has that book!”

That’s nice.:rofl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Mar 27, 2023
Is it as good as people hype it up to be? It's been on my reading list for eons, but I never really bought the hype around it. I also don't typically buy books that are labelled NYT best sellers, so I'm hesitant.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

So far it’s a great book, and I wanted to read it at school.

I bring it into class and start reading, and my English teacher takes my book, and goes to the principal’s office to see if it’s allowed.

He comes back and it’s not allowed, so I put it away.

I go home, and I put tape over the F*ck part of it, and bring it to class again, this time, I finished math test, and my math teacher tells me to read a book.

I tell her my book isn’t allowed and I show it to her, and she asked me to take off the tape, she saw the word and shrugged her shoulders.

At this point, the class is beginning to notice, and a girl shouts out

“My dad has that book!”

That’s nice.:rofl:
What's so offensive about the book other than the F word in the title?

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
These things are popular in my neighborhood...

However I wonder if the deaths are due to the device.

I can't recall ever seeing a rider on one of these who wasn't simultaneously scrolling on his phone while navigating street traffic. It's another feather in the cap of my belief that humanity won't survive the next 50 years.

View attachment 51651
This company has to be one of the worst around. They also have a problem called "ghosting" where it malfunctions and just keeps going forward with no one on it till it hits something (or someone).

They also just put out a firmware update and bricked everyone's boards and aren't taking responsibility for it.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wln7kMJsWkg

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas
Has anyone ever done a "No Contact" scenario with your family and did your own thing?

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

catcam100

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 14, 2023
I'm new to the community. I am reading Unscripted and have read Millionaire Fastlane . I see myself in a lot of the things MJ lists that aren't good. I have everything I need for a fastlane business and haven't pulled the trigger the way I should. I look forward to getting suggestions from others. I am learning to acknowledge my small steps.
I have done in the past Chase the money and I know it doesn't working towards fixing my weaknesses and increasing my strengths.

ZackerySprague

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 26, 2021
Fort Worth, Texas

Pooping Removal company. I guess theirs opportunity even in the most simplest of things!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Mar 15, 2018
My landlord just emailed me, they will be increasing the rent from $2,000 CAD a month to $2,500.

Rental prices are absolutely insane here. Everything is insane. I did some paper napkin math, and for me to support my wife and 2 small children's basic necessities I need a pre-tax income of roughly $73,000 a year. That's with no car payment, a single vehicle, no eating out, no clothes (kids grow fast!!!!), no phones, no internet.... Just straight up rent and food and insurance and transportation.

I'm pretty pissed about the house thing. This is a small bungalow of about 1,200 sq ft, a barely functioning yard, and a nice double car detached garage. About 18ish months ago the rent was $1,800/m. Now it's $2,500. Plus utilities have increased by 50%, insurance about 20% as well.

This house is NOT worth staying in for this price, but there is nowhere else to go near here for the price. Everything else has gone up in rent just as much. It's hit the level where I feel like I am not getting even close to an equivalent return on what I will be paying to live here.

There was a thread about real estate and buying as early as possible. It was controversial… but I always believed that buying a home asap was the right move.

Maybe time for you to buy? Prices are depressed with high interest rates!

And in Calgary I know you can still get a brand new house for a million bucks, which in Vancouver B.C. would make a decent down payment lol.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
My landlord just emailed me, they will be increasing the rent from $2,000 CAD a month to $2,500.

Rental prices are absolutely insane here. Everything is insane. I did some paper napkin math, and for me to support my wife and 2 small children's basic necessities I need a pre-tax income of roughly $73,000 a year. That's with no car payment, a single vehicle, no eating out, no clothes (kids grow fast!!!!), no phones, no internet.... Just straight up rent and food and insurance and transportation.

I'm pretty pissed about the house thing. This is a small bungalow of about 1,200 sq ft, a barely functioning yard, and a nice double car detached garage. About 18ish months ago the rent was $1,800/m. Now it's $2,500. Plus utilities have increased by 50%, insurance about 20% as well.

This house is NOT worth staying in for this price, but there is nowhere else to go near here for the price. Everything else has gone up in rent just as much. It's hit the level where I feel like I am not getting even close to an equivalent return on what I will be paying to live here.
Is that a Canadian issue or same in U.S.?

I have always been skeptical about official CPI in U.S. coming down at slightly over 3.0%.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Can't speak for Canada, but that isn't true in areas experiencing net migration.

If someone wants to move to bumblefuck Illinois, yea, prices have gone down. Seems to be the case in all high-tax states.

Want to move to Utah, AZ, Texas, or North Carolina? Not at all.

View attachment 52712

I read this article this morning. Interesting. I have been casually home shopping, but waiting a few months might serve me well.

"They're" saying homes are 25% over equilibrium value.

Attachments

• The_Wall_Street_Journal_20231129_B012_1_t.PDF
    24.7 KB · Views: 5

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
There was a thread about real estate and buying as early as possible. It was controversial… but I always believed that buying a home asap was the right move.

Maybe time for you to buy? Prices are depressed with high interest rates!

And in Calgary I know you can still get a brand new house for a million bucks, which in Vancouver B.C. would make a decent down payment lol.
Sure Calgary is cheap compared to Vancouver, but that doesn't make it a good deal. I have not seen houses come down even 1 dollar with the increased interest rates.

I am pretty sure Canada's net population growth far exceeds new home development, by a fair margin.

I just don't see the value in it. I can (and am looking) get a home or land 100m from the ocean in Mexico for well under 300k. For a decent nothing fancy home in Calgary it's 800k. For something with a yard for the kids and it being renovated it's 1m+. Interest rates be damned.

I think I would also see more value in owning my own rental properties, rather than my own home. Maybe I'm nuts though.

Last edited:

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Mostly canadian, probably because our prime minister says stuff like:

“Getting that vaccine was an amazing feeling!”

“The budget will balance itself out” (as were in a 1.5 billion dollar deficits and instead of putting more money to Canada, he donates millions to billions to Ukraine and other places)

“Let’s make Canada affordable!” (As he proceeds to double rent costs and drives up interest rates)

“Let’s make housing affordable..” he said.
The US isn't any better. Some places are better than others but it's still the same overall trend.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Weird question

If you’re asking this then I assume neither because you don’t have a plan for either of them

For more context, I'm currently in a Leadership MBA program, and after completing the foundational leadership classes, I see more value in switching to a Marketing MBA. I've been working towards breaking into the marketing industry these past few months. Also, with what I learned about leadership, I already feel more confident and don't see much potential additional value in doing the other coursework compared to the Marketing MBA. However, I would appreciate more feedback on my thought process. I wanted to be vague to have a response not influenced by my further explanation, but maybe it'll help. So here's a brief explanation.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Real world business experience > any MBA

Doing both is likely the best option, and that's my plan. I have another experiential opportunity lined up for Q1 2024, and after that, I should be good to get a full-time digital marketing job while completing my MBA.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
595%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
333%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
do you generally feel that you were 100% present and acknowledged the magic of these moments or do you tend to look back with some regret, thinking that you could have been even more present?
I was never 100% present, quite the contrary. So I just don't think about it – problem solved!

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Jun 24, 2019

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
Thank god I'm not the only one who feels this lol

I started running ads on Facebook in 2013 and started running actual budgets around 2016. Around 2018 it got really, really hard to make things work. CPMs skyrocketed, targeting options were taken away (did you know that Facebook used to have credit card transaction data? And if you asked nicely and spent big budgets they would let you use them?) But when that stuff went away, all FB had was lookalikes and those lookalikes were based entirely on pixel data. Since buyers typically buy from multiple places, everyone was competing on those lookalikes and they got hella expensive (in the niches I was running at the time)

We adapted to high CPMs because Facebook gave us a lot of really cool tools like CBO and DPAs to make things work. I had a method that would basically run the ad account for me using entirely the stuff they had on platform. Automated rules combined with CBOs on a high enough budget (50+ conversions a week) meant that all you really had to do was slap new creative in the ad sets and Facebook would figure out the rest.

2020 and 2021 were rough because of supply chain issues. And supply chain issues doesn't mean "turn off the ads" because you still need those people coming in. If you turn off the ads too long, Facebook's "seasoning" won't work as well. But that wasn't the worst thing.

iOS 14 was a real punch to the gut. A lot of the old strategies didn't work anymore. Tracking got terrible, and I might say downright fraudulent. But, of course... we adapted. We always do.

Meta, on the other hand, hasn't really adapted. TikTok took a LOT of their advertising share that they never got back. TikTok has much lower CPMs even still so Facebook advertisers who couldn't make it work switched to TikTok. Of course TikTok isn't a walk in the park and many businesses sell to people who simply don't spend time on TikTok. Meta needs those advertising dollars. They've created new placements to compete with TikTok and they work very well for advertisers but Meta still hasn't gotten back its advertising share as far as I know. (Correct me if I'm wrong I don't have statistics in front of me)

Creative is still the #1 thing. Even back when targeting options were good, creative was #1, because the biggest advertisers didn't give a F*ck and just ran super broad campaigns. They just had killer creative. But back then you could make $10 ad sets work on big budget accounts because each ad set was hyper targeted with a particular winning creative. Try doing that now: it won't work very well for you at scale.

Creative is more important than ever. But, like you said, it's not hard to get creators, and a lot of them will say exactly what you want them to say for product alone. I've also noticed that regular old still image creative can work at scale, too.
So for example if I wanted to market an invention/product of mine, utilizing creative content and video either made myself or from influencers is the prime move in 2023, rather than using hyper-targeted ads?

I'm a bit new to marketing so a more broken down explanation would be appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out how to properly market my inventions.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.