The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Is there a CRM equivalent of WordPress? Something like ActiveCampaign or Drip, except the individual maintains control?

The Problem
ActiveCampaign, who I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars with over the past decade has increased their prices and decreased support response times from a few minutes to a few days. They've also capped subscribers and if I want to increase that cap, I have to pay an additional amount per month on top of the price increase.

ActiveCampaign is still a private company but is starting to show signs of heading in the wrong direction. The problem is, I've integrated them so deeply into my business ecosystem that it would be incredibly difficult to up and switch to a new CRM. To make matters worse, other CRMs present the same risk.

The Solution
Does anyone know of a CRM equivalent of WordPress with the features of a major CRM like automations, tagging, custom fields, etc? If not, can someone please build one? I want to have more control over my basic email system with the ability to plugin any missing components just like you plugin apps with Wordpress.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Is there a CRM equivalent of WordPress? Something like ActiveCampaign or Drip, except the individual maintains control?

The Problem
ActiveCampaign, who I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars with over the past decade has increased their prices and decreased support response times from a few minutes to a few days. They've also capped subscribers and if I want to increase that cap, I have to pay an additional amount per month on top of the price increase.

ActiveCampaign is still a private company but is starting to show signs of heading in the wrong direction. The problem is, I've integrated them so deeply into my business ecosystem that it would be incredibly difficult to up and switch to a new CRM. To make matters worse, other CRMs present the same risk.

The Solution
Does anyone know of a CRM equivalent of WordPress with the features of a major CRM like automations, tagging, custom fields, etc? If not, can someone please build one? I want to have more control over my basic email system with the ability to plugin any missing components just like you plugin apps with Wordpress.
Great question. I've started collecting email addresses and don't want them to go into an ESP to start with. I'd rather they got added to a Google sheet and then got zapped into, say, ConvertKit.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

The Problem

The Solution

Salesforce? Keap? Hubspot maybe? I don't do email marketing, but along my journey I recall each of these platforms making such a promise.

Honestly, I pity the fool who tries to build this one. The barriers to entry are real and I would lose my hair over it.

ipittythefool-mrt.gif

Okay, they wouldn't be a fool, I just wanted to sound tough like Mr T. Because Lex DeVille likes tough talk. And because sounding like Mr T is fun, sucka.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

mikecarlooch

Apprentice & Student Of The Game
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Jan 28, 2022
Florida
I don't know what it is - but I was just on the phone with a siteground representative and I'm 95% sure I was speaking to an AI that sounded exactly like a human. Super weird

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
I don't know what it is - but I was just on the phone with a siteground representative and I'm 95% sure I was speaking to an AI that sounded exactly like a human. Super weird
We were just talking about this at work today!

I have a coworker who gets asked by callers all the time if she is a robot. She's not - I know her in real life - but she does have the "quintessential American corporate female voice" and impeccable diction.

I told her she could have a lot of fun with that if she wanted to. She would honestly be scary good at pretending to be an AI.

Customer: "Are you a robot"

Her in her best Siri voice: "While AI technology has certainly gotten good enough to pass for a human like me, I assure you that I am a real human with a heartbeat. However, it is unlikely that I will be able to convince you definitively, so you may never know. But then again, how do you know that you're not just in a simulation?"

Customer: :wideyed: leaves with existential crisis

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Honestly, not all that important, and the title is kind of clickbait. They're on house arrest, and they've confiscated most of their stuff, so all that's going to happen is that maybe they'll make some of their podcasts on rumble or something before the trial proceedings begin. Also maybe a change of clothes, they've been wearing the same ones since December :rofl:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
This morning my Manager of Finance told me that we were scammed yesterday.

Our new receptionist is in her 20s and just started. She received a series of text messages from "me" yesterday (I was out of office). Scammer used fake number, not mine. She didn't know being new, thought it was me.

The gist of the story is:
- we want to surprise some employees with gift cards, can you run out and buy some?
- sure
- how many did you get? Send me pics we’ll reimburse you asap
- pics sent …
- that's great, but not enough. Can you get more?
- this store is out of Apple gift cards. That’s all they had.
- we need at least double that
- I can try another location
- keep me posted

This went on until she maxed out her credit card balance!

Of course, I immediately reimbursed her all the losses. Poor girl was crying from stress. She thought it was her fault for not recognizing a scam.

1. No, it's not her fault - don't blame the victim.
2. It's a lesson to all young and old, scammers are everywhere and they are creative. Watch out. Be skeptical.

Talking on @Kak's thread about ethics and business... today of all days! @Black_Dragon43 these people may do ok financially, but imagine they used the same ingenuity for good! I bet they'd do well. They are masters of sales techniques. There should be a fortune to be made ethically for them.

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 1.42.21 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-03-31 at 3.53.18 PM.png

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
This morning my Manager of Finance told me that we were scammed yesterday.

Our new receptionist is in her 20s and just started. She received a series of text messages from "me" yesterday (I was out of office). Scammer used fake number, not mine. She didn't know being new, thought it was me.

The gist of the story is:
- we want to surprise some employees with gift cards, can you run out and buy some?
- sure
- how many did you get? Send me pics we’ll reimburse you asap
- pics sent …
- that's great, but not enough. Can you get more?
- this store is out of Apple gift cards. That’s all they had.
- we need at least double that
- I can try another location
- keep me posted

This went on until she maxed out her credit card balance!

Of course, I immediately reimbursed her all the losses. Poor girl was crying from stress. She thought it was her fault for not recognizing a scam.

1. No, it's not her fault - don't blame the victim.
2. It's a lesson to all young and old, scammers are everywhere and they are creative. Watch out. Be skeptical.

Talking on @Kak's thread about ethics and business... today of all days! @Black_Dragon43 these people may do ok financially, but imagine they used the same ingenuity for good! I bet they'd do well. They are masters of sales techniques. There should be a fortune to be made ethically for them.

View attachment 48097

View attachment 48098
New staff received sms, not WhatsApp messages, did not verify with anyone, and used her credit card for business transactions.....

How did the scammer know her number if she did not put it on linkedIn?

Did other staffs receive the same "pitch"?

I will do a check to see if there is any mole in the organization.

Last edited:

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Oh man @MJ DeMarco I found a treat for you. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction, even you couldn’t think of something as ridiculous as this in your article about FiRE

“Jo Nemeth, from northern NSW, quit her job in 2014 because she felt every time she spent her money it was harming someone.

Over the years she’s lived with two families with free board and food, in exchange for her looking after their kids, doing chores and gardening.

The mum uses leftover napkins friends supplied her for toilet paper, and these same friends also gave her the end bits of their toothpaste to get by.

At one point she was living in a shack and cooking her meals out of a stove she built by hand using bricks.

She also had to break up with her partner at the time because they were not on board with the idea”

Prdgy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Mar 27, 2023
Oh man @MJ DeMarco I found a treat for you. Sometimes reality is stranger than fiction, even you couldn’t think of something as ridiculous as this in your article about FiRE

“Jo Nemeth, from northern NSW, quit her job in 2014 because she felt every time she spent her money it was harming someone.

Over the years she’s lived with two families with free board and food, in exchange for her looking after their kids, doing chores and gardening.

The mum uses leftover napkins friends supplied her for toilet paper, and these same friends also gave her the end bits of their toothpaste to get by.

At one point she was living in a shack and cooking her meals out of a stove she built by hand using bricks.

She also had to break up with her partner at the time because they were not on board with the idea”

Holy s#$%. She's managed to force herself into odd jobs without the promise of any money. The Sidewalk has officially peaked.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Just bought this book. Great title, isn’t it? Will see how it reads.

@MJ DeMarco 745DACF7-E7A2-4D60-9B76-084DFEFE4216.jpeg

Creative_Name

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Oct 17, 2022
What’s your guys’ take on saving up beer cans and whatnot to return to the beer store to get some dollars back on whatever amount you binged? Only to use that money for buying more shitty beer so you can escape from yourself every night and save up those cans and make your house look like a drinking den with cans and bottles laying in boxes for months so you can get more value from a single trip to the recycling depot.
Totally not a coloured question here.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This couple bought a house in Detroit for $6.5K, fixed it up, and sold it for $410k.

View attachment 48129 View attachment 48130

The house looks awesome, but I don't understand why stuff like this gets millions in free publicity. What's the agenda?

1) They spent over $300K.
2) They spent over 3 years.
3) The father was a general contractor so surely there was an abundance of resources, skills, and likely, excess material.

If you net it out based on the #'s they disclosed, they earned $17K a year on the project. If you divide that by time, they likely earned minimum wages. And this is based on disclosed numbers, things are likely worse. It likely was also an albatross on resources; time, mental bandwidth, etc.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
The house looks awesome, but I don't understand why stuff like this gets millions in free publicity. What's the agenda?

3) The father was a general contractor so surely there was an abundance of resources, skills, and likely, excess material.

If you net it out based on the #'s they disclosed, they earned $17K a year on the project. If you divide that by time, they likely earned minimum wages. And this is based on disclosed numbers, things are likely worse. It likely was also an albatross on resources; time, mental bandwidth, etc.
Average reader skims headlines, assumes the flip happened in 39 days and this couple made a “fortune”. Everyone should do it. Bla bla bla.

Useless shit.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Average reader skims headlines, assumes the flip happened in 39 days and this couple made a “fortune”. Everyone should do it. Bla bla bla.

Useless shit.
Being the cynic I am, I assume CNBC is an extension of the economic machine, and the goal here is to get readers fired up about the real estate industry, go out and spend at home improvement stores and start speculating on fixer-uppers with little knowledge, training, or forethought.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Being the cynic I am, I assume CNBC is an extension of the economic machine, and the goal here is to get readers fired up about the real estate industry, go out and spend at home improvement stores and start speculating on fixer-uppers with little knowledge, training, or forethought.

Or to revitalize dying neighborhoods @ slave labor rates. If people think they can earn a fast $400K buying trash houses, more people will do it. The state need not get involved, just let those capitalist fools do the dirty work...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Or to revitalize dying neighborhoods @ slave labor rates. If people think they can earn a fast $400K buying trash houses, more people will do it. The state need not get involved, just let those capitalist fools do the dirty work...
Reminds me of this FDR quote: "A nation of homeowners, of people who own a real share in their land, is unconquerable. You who own your homes are, more than any others, contributing to the development of the nation. In preserving your homes, you are fighting for the nation itself. It is not just a question of owning property; it is a question of citizenship, responsibility, and patriotism."

Sounds pretty good, until you look at the housing programs, loan programs, all the debt and inflation that followed and slow creep of un-affordability that ensued over 100 years.

Yes yes, those monthly payments sure are nice! Never mind the slavery you are committing yourself to (or the interest or the total price)... Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain, said the magician...

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
For some reason I was browsing IMDB to see if there were any good (or so terrible they are good) movies out there, I came across this gem:

"Elliot Page primed himself to make a major splash with his star-making turn in the surprise indie hit, "Juno" (2007), in which he played a sharp-witted high school teen who becomes pregnant and decides to give up the baby for adoption. Page's performance as the titular spitfire earned rave reviews and an Oscar nomination for Best Actress."

The world is going to be looking back at this period of time with some great confusion...

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
The inspirational part of their story to me, is that they did it, and they plan to do it again - on a bigger scale. They also turned a slight profit, which opens the door to Intentional Iteration.

They should look in to working with the city of Detroit's Blight to Beauty program that gives grant money for rehabs. Some part of their $300k cost could have been paid for with grant money.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.