The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kz5vEqdaSc

People would rather do anything that just walk more than 5 minutes.
That thing is stupid and not going to happen. Collectivism doesn’t build things, collaboration does.

No one company, planner, designer or developer is going to have the financing to essentially build what amounts to an entire city, all at once, in such a cohesive way.

Cities happen over time with lots of individual choice and transactions, it’s not just something someone plans and builds. Dare I say a real city is natural and this is artificial.

Even tremendously smaller “master planned communities” like the Howard Hughes stuff require a lot of individual demand and choices to become something.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
There's a neuroscientist who thinks that outsourcing our memory to smartphones & tech companies has led to "digital dementia"

We are definitely living in strange times. Actually kind of scary.

There are some people in charge of the global system that dream of having their consciousness uploaded to a computer. LOL

It's almost as if they "know" the universe ain't taking their evil asses back when they die. LOL

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The other day I was going to a baby shower. Turned on Google maps because it was in a new-build subdivision that I wasn't familiar with. The straightforward directions would have been, "go down this road, turn right, and your destination is on the right." Instead, Google told me, "Go down this road, turn left, snake a long way around the neighborhood, then eventually get back to the main road and turn right onto your street." I figured they just wanted to update their algorithm with driving data from these new streets in this brand-new neighborhood, and they were taking advantage of the fact that I wasn't paying close attention to the
Wow, I never even thought of this. I was taking my wife and son to an appointment in a new area of town a few days ago and Google did this. It was a big curving loop around a business section, with a few turns to get into the area with the building we needed, or a straight path and a single left turn. Google had me take the big loop and multiple turns into the location and I was frustrated but did not think much of it.

Often google gives absurd directions to locations. If it is in an area I understand I will just look at where the final destination is and take my own route to get there.

Vinz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jun 12, 2021
It baffles me how, if you don't drink / don't smoke, or in general take care of your health, you are treated as an expection.
"He doesn't drink neither smoke, he must be very strict and rigid !"
No, I just don't want to feel like shit.

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I'm like you. My brain works just like a GPS. I can look at the map beforehand, take the directions into my head, and drive to a place I've never been to before. After being to a location once, I can get there again without GPS, and if I've seen other roads on the map, I can also take flexible routes if a different path makes sense.

BUT - using GPS atrophies this part of my brain.

For a long time, I absolutely refused to use GPS for any reason, even for a 1,000+ mile trip to a specific residential address that I'd never been to before. I didn't want to lose that mental sharpness. Because admittedly, using GPS takes way less effort. So it's tempting to use it and just "check out" and follow the path that the GPS tells me.

Lately, I've been slipping more and more into the habit of, "Whatever, just turn on Google maps and get there however it says." And inevitably, I find that I don't remember the way as well after one trip, so I need to use GPS again next time.

Not only that, GPS will play GAMES with you if you're not paying attention.

The other day I was going to a baby shower. Turned on Google maps because it was in a new-build subdivision that I wasn't familiar with. The straightforward directions would have been, "go down this road, turn right, and your destination is on the right." Instead, Google told me, "Go down this road, turn left, snake a long way around the neighborhood, then eventually get back to the main road and turn right onto your street." I figured they just wanted to update their algorithm with driving data from these new streets in this brand-new neighborhood, and they were taking advantage of the fact that I wasn't paying close attention to the fact that the route made absolutely no sense.

We would be upset with a taxi driver who did this to us (padding the fare with unnecessary miles). But I wonder how many times Google gets away with it.
I wonder if sense of direction is an innate skill or learned. I don't feel like I ever learned sense of direction or am consciously registering my position or direction on a mental map, yet I am able to very quickly orient myself and stay oriented subconsciously.

In college, I went on a study abroad semester in Prague. By day 4, I had 5 girls following me around everywhere. Was it my looks? Certainly not. It was because I knew how to get from Point A to Point B without getting lost and without our cell phones, which did not function outside the US. My friends had a hard time reading maps or maintaining a sense of cardinal directions, so they relied on me and I relied on whatever compass exists in my head that keeps me oriented. Of course, explaining to my girlfriend back home why I had so many "new friends" was fun and my reasoning was suspect :rofl:

That said, I use Apple Maps all the time for at least checking the route before I leave to go somewhere. My brain may know exactly how to get from A to B, but it does not know what road construction is taking place, what accidents just happened, or that game day is happening today and I should avoid anywhere near the stadium. I'm pretty grateful for that kind of knowledge.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Just did my first small workout post Covid. Lol, my strength is DOWN! Just working out in my basement, so I never go crazy. But doing like 60% of what I normally do was really difficult. My smell at range is still pretty non existent, but if I stick things right under my nose I can smell it. I can also taste at like 50% again which is nice.

Still, not so bad overall. Nothing I would put a random concoction into my arm from a corrupt corporation forced upon us by the government though.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Just did my first small workout post Covid. Lol, my strength is DOWN! Just working out in my basement, so I never go crazy. But doing like 60% of what I normally do was really difficult. My smell at range is still pretty non existent, but if I stick things right under my nose I can smell it. I can also taste at like 50% again which is nice.

Still, not so bad overall. Nothing I would put a random concoction into my arm from a corrupt corporation forced upon us by the government though.
My taste came back a lot quicker than my smell.

I caught it again recently, but it was no where near as bad as the first time. Didn't totally lose taste/smell like before but I did lose some. It's already coming back fast.

What is rewarding is when you start getting complex smells back and they are balanced without an element missing. My smell of sulfurous things, like onions and garlic, is still quite lacking. But I've got essential oils for many other things, including garlic, and practicing with those helps.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
I’m curious what people think about being on TikTok as a business or entrepreneur. It seems like it’s the favorite of Gen Z like instagram was the favorite of the millennials.

I have no interest in the consumption side of it, but as a business, is this something you are doing? Are you planning to do it? Are you intrigued by it like me? Are you not bothering with it? Why?

I am currently ONLY on Twitter professionally, and have a Facebook that I mainly use for marketplace when I clean out the garage.

I studied TikTok for a SaaS (that went nowhere) and it keeps coming up because of the nature of my more recent projects (though I don't post on TikTok), so here's my 2 cents:

The average TikTok user spends about an hour a day on the platform. TikTok has over 100M users. Those 2 factors alone equate to massive marketing potential.

It's an inexpensive way for e-commerce companies to sell their products. There are even professionals on there who you wouldn't expect to see like lawyers.

TikTok is interesting because you can get viral marketing from no name accounts because the algorithm values quality content more than follower counts.

You can also cross post that content on other platforms like Instagram reels, YouTube shorts, and even Amazon has video ads.

Short videos will be an important marketing strategy going forward. Instagram said that they are going to really focus on video content going forward (see here: View: https://twitter.com/mosseri/status/1551890839584088065
)

Short videos are also a good way to establish your position as an authority in some field. You can offer quick advice that people can implement in their businesses. You can also use that content as part of your funnel to get people to watch your longer videos.

I've said before that the platform is full of shit content that I hate, but it is a serious business opportunity for the right businesses.

I think that a lot of business owners are understanding the importance of a brand, and videos are a good way to help you do that. Look at Andrew Tate - whatever you think of the guy and his products, he's making a lot of money off of his image because of all of the video content out there about him. Brands ultimately boil down to an emotional connection between the customer and the business, and your customers can develop an emotional connection with you by hearing you talk.

TL;DR: TikTok has a massive audience that uses the app a lot, you can share the video content on several other platforms, it works for more types businesses than you'd expect, and it can help you build authority / build a brand.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
outsources their phone calls to a foreign call center now
would it not be better to have WFH agents here in the USA handle call orders to the big fast food chains (think pizza hut, dominos, little caesers etc) ?

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
would it not be better to have WFH agents here in the USA handle call orders to the big fast food chains (think pizza hut, dominos, little caesers etc) ?

Better for the customer the answer would be yes. Labor is cheaper elsewhere so businesses will choose to cut corners.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Lol. I never realised how much of an animal lover I was until I found myself seriously addicted to the dodo youtube channel :rofl: I never search specifically for them, but if for whatever reason I click on one suggested to me, I'm down that rabbit hole for at least 45 mins.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Why is everything a scam?

No, I mean, why is everything called out as a scam even when it's not?

Some of my favorite books that changed my life (for $5 lol)... the amazon reviews are filled with people who are outraged "COMPLETE SCAM".

Same with business dudes/anyone that has a course or any education... mainstream/youtube/reddit, these people are always branded "scammers/grifters" even if they give insane value.

I've heard many times that anyone selling/doing self-help is just a scam, "it doesn't exist".

Why/how do people think this way?

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

Some of my favorite books that changed my life (for $5 lol)... the amazon reviews are filled with people who are outraged "COMPLETE SCAM".

Same with business dudes/anyone that has a course or any education... mainstream/youtube/reddit, these people are always branded "scammers/grifters" even if they give insane value.

I've heard many times that anyone selling/doing self-help is just a scam, "it doesn't exist".

Not everything is called out as a scam. I've seen tonnes of stuff that has only great reviews and no one complaining about it or calling it a scam.

I can see you live in Bali, so maybe you've spent too much time on the Canguu community Facebook group where life, business and crypto coaches are absolute cannon fodder for insults :rofl:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Not everything is called out as a scam. I've seen tonnes of stuff that has only great reviews and no one complaining about it or calling it a scam.

I can see you live in Bali, so maybe you've spent too much time on the Canguu community Facebook group where life, business and crypto coaches are absolute cannon fodder for insults :rofl:

I'm talking about amazon book reviews, quora, forums, twitter, reddit etc.

CC fb group is a mess though, you're right but I barely go there haha. And I'd agree, a lot of people here ARE basically scammers lol. A lot of coaches coaching coaches who coach coaches.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

because most people are too stupid to implement good ideas so they talk shit

G

Guest-5ty5s4

I'm amazed at the stuff people post online for sale.

Is it really worth your time to sell a coffee mug for $5 on FB marketplace? Message all these people, meet up with someone... wow.

Then again, I bet Carl Icahn would laugh that there are people like me even browsing FB marketplace.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
I'm amazed at the stuff people post online for sale.

Is it really worth your time to sell a coffee mug for $5 on FB marketplace? Message all these people, meet up with someone... wow.

Then again, I bet Carl Icahn would laugh that there are people like me even browsing FB marketplace.

Yeah, I used to flip stuff, and would always see people posting stuff for as low as 20p. Even IRL at a boot fair (english garage sales) I routine purchased stuff under £1 (20p, 50p) to flip for £30-100.

Side note, but it used to make me laugh that people who came to sell at the boot fair made £100 that day selling their old stuff and were happy. Meanwhile, I'd be sniping all the good shit and routinely made £500+ for a few hours work.

Best flips:
High end clothes £7 total purchase for 3 items, sold for £450
Knitting machine (still have no idea what it really is) £120 sold for £920

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I'm talking about amazon book reviews, quora, forums, twitter, reddit etc.

CC fb group is a mess though, you're right but I barely go there haha. And I'd agree, a lot of people here ARE basically scammers lol. A lot of coaches coaching coaches who coach coaches.
I have noticed the negativity and "edge lord" type of social media increasing year on year. Look at the social media posts of any big company, people are just wanting an excuse to pile on and be negative in a group together. It's now started to ruin the Autosport forum I have been going to for over 10 years for F1.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
In my humble opinion, this is just the garbage that losers hooked on self-help want to hear.

Most successful people feel successful and empowered most of the time - that's why they got successful. Success breeds more success. That's why the top 1% own everything.

You are basically revealing your net worth by implying that the path to success isn't riddled with mini (and sometimes big) failure.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I have no interest in the consumption side of it, but as a business, is this something you are doing? Are you planning to do it? Are you intrigued by it like me? Are you not bothering with it? Why?

I'm going to start there in a month or two after I've decided the content and direction I want to go. TikTok (just like IG in the early days) has enabled some folks to quit their day jobs and go full time on their small business.

Check out this guy: TikTok

Of course, probably not a Fastlane business, but he built a audience there, they flood to his Etsy shop, he started having steady revenue, eventually moved out of Etsy to his own website. When he started, his views per Tiktok vid was like 400 - 1200 range, then after consistently posting daily for months (I admire his persistence), it went to 5 - 6 digits. I hope his next move is to move his audience off TT to email lists or instant messaging marketing, because eventually TT will be like IG.

Here's his Instagram: Login • Instagram

Initially, he started on IG, posted a few posts, each post got 3 - 12 likes lol. He gave up after a while, stop posting there and went to TT. Now that he has traction on TT, he came back to IG again, and started getting some traction there from his TT fanbase.

Interesting note: compare his TT engagement vs his IG engagement.

TikTok is good for building an audience if one is selling consumer type products like dog beds or sunglasses (of course, if you're B2B selling air cooler spare parts, TT is not the place).

For folks worried about "Chinese gov spying on what I browsed on my phone", just get a 2nd cheap phone and use that exclusively to post on TT.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022
You are basically revealing your net worth by implying that the path to success isn't riddled with mini (and sometimes big) failure.
The path of success will always include failures and setbacks, but that doesn't mean that you should feel like a failure.

The whole point that I was making is that self-help gurus are capitalizing on this idea that struggling and feeling like a failure is somehow a good thing. And this is demonstrably wrong. People that win are the ones that pick themselves up immediately and don't spend to much time wallowing in self pity.

And I don't have a substantial net worth as of currently, but I don't see how this would be relevant to the discussion.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The path of success will always include failures and setbacks, but that doesn't mean that you should feel like a failure.

The whole point that I was making is that self-help gurus are capitalizing on this idea that struggling and feeling like a failure is somehow a good thing. And this is demonstrably wrong. People that win are the ones that pick themselves up immediately and don't spend to much time wallowing in self pity.

And I don't have a substantial net worth as of currently, but I don't see how this would be relevant to the discussion.G
Go watch the Undercover Billionaire. Those guys are worth close to a Billion each and they just about gave up and cried on their couches.... so yea... Feeling like a failure is normal

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
555%
Apr 17, 2022

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Depends on how often it happens.
Depends on how often you get up from the couch after! The moment you don’t, yeah - you are a failure. As long as you keep getting up, it’s just a temporary setback.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
In my humble opinion, this is just the garbage that losers hooked on self-help want to hear.

Most successful people feel successful and empowered most of the time - that's why they got successful. Success breeds more success. That's why the top 1% own everything.
You haven’t read an autobiography about an ultra successful businessperson in a while.

It is never “all I do is win.” It’s universally, a fight.

No one is suggesting wallowing in self pity. The quote is to help people in that position not wallow in self pity.

Last edited:

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
You haven’t read an autobiography about a successful businessperson in a while.

It is never “all I do is win.” It’s a fight.

No one is suggesting wallowing in self pity. The quote is to help people in that position not wallow in self pity.

That's what @heavy_industry later clarified as well. Seems all are on the same page now :)

Would be a fun poll to know how many ppl here would qualify:
a) I am always winning, I am a success
b) I often fail, but I do alright
c) I am a failure

G

Guest-5ty5s4

That's what @heavy_industry later clarified as well. Seems all are on the same page now :)

c) I am a failure
This is really all a matter of perspective, I think.

Some people will always answer with A. Others with C.

If you answer with C. I think you are depressed and should see a therapist. If you answer with A. you might have a tad bit of narcissism but it might be OK and not a big deal. Might even benefit you as long as you aren't hurting people.

Most people probably go with B.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

c) I am a failure
B

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.