The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

RANT Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2007
I notice that I’m a lot more judgmental now as a serious entrepreneur.
You don't need to keep these friends unless it is your desire. The judgment part has no place in our lives though. It is not easy to stop but serves no purpose.

I judged someone in a post earlier today. There is this this process where I look at ALL emotions and try to recognize what the actual feeling is. Am I angry, hurt, etc... Then I look for why. Am I feeling disrespected, or am I feeling fear, and so on. Finally, I look for why I am reacting the way I am. It is always some automatic reaction that should not have any bearing on my day or whatever is going on in that moment.

Judgement does absolutely nothing for us.

On the other hand, if you are not getting anything from this relationship, then move on.

The part that @ZCP brings up is very valid. If your "friend" is there and talking to you, you should be listening... without judgment. No need to solve all their problems. Just listen.

If it is not possible to do it in the moment, set up a time with them. (Edit: Which I read that you did do)

Everyone has a different reality. They are valid even if different than ours. If you share common interests and enjoy spending time, then keep that enjoyment. If not, keep moving in the directions that you want to go.

My answer here sounds contradictory but it is not.

Last edited:

Zcott

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jul 24, 2018
Actual conversation I had today.

Me: 'You're really smart. Cut out your company and get your money you deserve. You should do freelancing.'

Them: 'Nah, I like having the security.'

Me: '...10 people got fired from your office last month.'

Them: 'Yeah, but...<conversation goes elsewhere>'

Wow. People can't see past the Script.

Last edited:

rollerskates

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jan 10, 2017
Texas
Catching up...I've never seen GOT. I rarely watch TV at all as I'd much rather read.
My one and only foray into sports betting was highly successful. I won an entire pool simply based on....math. I sat down and literally calculated the likelihood of certain scores happening. Don't tell my friends and family, but I routinely win games by calculating odds. I once mentioned that to someone and they got highly offended that I figured out what they were about to do simply based on math. :)

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Just a quick note about how the media pushes slowlane living on everyone;

This commercial for 'homes.com' or something, they were showing clips of rich people having a luxurious party in a mansion, having a great time.

It flips to these millennials in a moderately shitty house, fixing it up themselves, "For a more realistic home buying experience, trust us to get it done".

Basically, this advertisement told me not to work for a big house and great lifestyle, but instead settle for a more "realistic" small house like every other slowlaner out there...

Unbelievable.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
Catching up...I've never seen GOT. I rarely watch TV at all as I'd much rather read.
My one and only foray into sports betting was highly successful. I won an entire pool simply based on....math. I sat down and literally calculated the likelihood of certain scores happening. Don't tell my friends and family, but I routinely win games by calculating odds. I once mentioned that to someone and they got highly offended that I figured out what they were about to do simply based on math. :)
I did this once for a sport I don’t follow. It was a company fantasy league. Shhh... but I went on the bookies sites and got the odds for each player to score and put the best I could get on my team.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Want some wheels and tires for your car?

Get some used ones for only $13,600! As some one commented on the thread I pulled this photo from, It sucks to be poor.

Did you notice the alignment costs $5 X 78 = $390!
And you can get the same tire at Amazon for the weekly rent price!

60079879_10217322719838128_1859277933550501888_n.jpg
60451377_2738432042851167_2460755315574964224_n.jpg

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Which thread? I don't understand what I'm looking at.
It’s advertising to purchase/rent a set of used wheels and tires using weekly payments. The photo was taken from another car forum thread.

ZF Lee

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Reading the online new recently has me shaking my head at how folks still refuse vaccinations, even with a measles outbreak.

How in the hell do you live in a modern society, and yet not want to enjoy its benefits, especially health?

I can understand people's jive with how artificial modern medicine can be, such as chemo and steroids, but alternative medicine can at times only do so much to protect folks from diseases.

Saw this video which explained aptly why the side-effects of vaccination (if any), may be a lot better than getting the illness itself.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBkVCpbNnkU

Weird about the measles thing though. I thought it was just one of the little childhood illnesses that got solved with just one trip to the doctor and a few weeks...apparently not.

Reactions: SMH

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Today I called GEICO to cancel my car insurance because I moved over to Allstate which saved me $800 a year. To my surprise the GEICO agent said that he would be able to match the Allstate rate.

So are insurance companies like cable companies now, you threaten to quit and they will give you a lower rate?

When I asked the guy, he said that he has more "quote options" available to him since he's in retention vs. a regular quote agent.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
Today I called GEICO to cancel my car insurance because I moved over to Allstate which saved me $800 a year. To my surprise the GEICO agent said that he would be able to match the Allstate rate.

So are insurance companies like cable companies now, you threaten to quit and they will give you a lower rate?

When I asked the guy, he said that he has more "quote options" available to him since he's in retention vs. a regular quote agent.
That just happened to me, I was with Liberty Mutual for 7 years and they sent me a renewal that struck me as substantially high, especially since I had no claims in all 7 years. I shopped around and sure enough, I was able to save about 25% going to Allstate, plus I got an umbrella policy with it. When I cancelled Liberty, the agent said, "Oh, we can beat that quote" -- I told him to pound sand, the time to "beat the quote" was BEFORE sending me an outrageous renewal price, and then hoping I won't notice.

Andy Black

Any colour, as long as it's red.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
www.andyblack.net
I was onsite in a large insurance broker tinkering with their Google Ads campaigns. The only free desk was amongst the call centre. The girl sat next to me took an inbound call of someone trying to get their car insurance quote down. "Let me speak to a manager and get back to you" she said. I watched out of the corner of my eye while she put them on hold, looked at her nails for about 30 seconds, then came back on to cheerily tell them they're in luck and she could drop their quote a bit.

Zcott

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018
It's a three day weekend where I am, and of course people are salivating over it. Heck, someone in my office even waved his arms in the air expressing his excitement. How can they not see the reality that they're not celebrating an extra day off, but they're actually celebrating an extra day of freedom granted, is something I will never get.

But great news for me. My girlfriend has gone away for the weekend. Why is that great? That means no distractions and no excuses. I literally have no reason to achieve want I want to this weekend. If I don't, then the only reason is because of me and me alone.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com

Zcott

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jul 24, 2018
Just finished listening to The Millionaire Fastlane on Audible... now reading another book and my internal reading voice reads it in MJ's voice. Makes it more interesting to be honest.

MTEE1985

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Anybody else a sucker for lemonade stands? Yes it’s straight sugar and overpriced and blah blah blah but I cannot see one and not support the young entrepreneur who sets it up.

This young lady yesterday took it to a new level though. Individual bottles, packaging and a web page! Awesome to see this out of a 9 year old.

CanyonYum

Insidious

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
May 3, 2019
Asheville, NC
Friday night! TGIF! Sat at home working. Anyone else?
=)

A Slowlane friend said 'Let's do lunch after Memorial Day'.. I had no idea when he meant.

"Thank God It's Friday!" has become "Thank God It's.. a day ending in 'Y'".

I generally have no idea what day of the week it is. The only thing that will clue me in are traffic changes on the weekend.

i.e. When you're on the path, every day is A DAY. You're looking forward to things you've planned, not a 'holiday' dictated by third parties.

Last edited:

astr0

Grinding
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Was making documents for a car today at car police office (one per region, so a lot of people there) and had to pay around $20 government fee.
There was only one bank there that took $2 commission for that payment, which is 10%.
Usually, local banks charge 0.5-1% or 0.12-0.25$ fixed commissions here, so they're definitely making a lot of money by being the only one in a place where many people (383 today) are forced to make payments quickly and have a paper check for that.

Wondering if it still a good strategy long term, cause now I an anchor/note "This bank is ripping people off, stay away from it" and it would be one of the last in the list if I would actually have a choice.

P. S. Another bank was doing the same thing near an Embassy where people had to pay the Visa fees.

Sander

But I get up again...
Speedway Pass
Mar 19, 2014
DK

Today marked my 30 days of walking 10.000 steps every day. A big step up for someone who's used to sit in front of a computer 8-12 hours per day, with some days walking less than 500 steps.

It's funny how motivating sunny weather and a push message with the text "Congratulations with your 10.000 steps today" can do.

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
getUnscripted.com
The GF is a pre-op nurse... when you have surgery you're not supposed to drink water before the operation.

Before admitting the patient, you ask them to confirm they didn't drink water prior to the procedure. It's purely for safety reasons as drinking water prior to the operation could cause a life-threatening reaction.

This actually happened:

Nurse: When was the last time you drank water? (Answer needs to be greater than 12 hours)
Patient: Two months ago.
Nurse: Two months ago? I don't understand.
Patient: Yes, about two months ago.
Nurse: So you aren't human and don't need water to live?
Patient: No, I just don't drink water. I drink Diet Coke.

Only in America...

MJ DeMarco

Raving Lunatic
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Jul 23, 2007
Phoenix, AZ