The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Put Down The FN Donuts!" (A Journey of Getting Healthy)

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

jovun1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 5, 2018
gulfport, ms
@Chitown I'm new to this forum thing. I don't know if it will help you, but it helped me tremendously. This program called Food Addicts Anonymous (foodaddicts.org) is a free and simple 12-step program based on the concepts of Alcoholic Anonymous . I tried everything (phentermine, clinics, exercise) but I would lose weight just to put it back on as soon as I stopped. With this program I was able to lose 100 lbs and keep it off for the most part. I now have peace around food and freedom from it to allow me to focus on important things such as family and adventure.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

chimichangatime

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 1, 2018
sacramento, ca
The best thing for me was to find a diet I liked. And then I went down the keto rabbit hole and never came up because that's the diet for me. I get a lot of ne'er-do-wells telling me I'm clogging my arteries, but I think they swallow the kool-aid (or they're "scripted," to use the vernacular) because I've done the research and I believe low carb, real foods are the way to go.

Mostly, though, I like eating this way so it became a lifestyle for me. It has to become a way of life, not a "I'm doing it for the weight loss" diet, or you may not keep the weight off. Your old ways will creep back in.

If you start to work out, I'd recommend a body fat goal instead of a weight goal. Weight is mostly meaningless without context of body composition (unless you're 600 lbs).

This thread reminded me that I let life get in the way with irrational excuses and I slacked off on Stronglifts 5x5 the past 3 weeks. I'm back on it today. It works great, there are squats every workout so you don't end up with pencil legs like MJ describes in his book, and the app is great, too (the upgrade is worth it). And I look better than ALL of my wife's friends' husbands, which I like. Fit at 45 is easy if you do the damned work.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
What's the word @Chitown ?

Was about to crush a massive sandwich and chips after shoveling 18" of snow. Decided instead to put the chicken on a salad and crack open a seltzer.

Once I made is past that first little decision, I felt great. And isn't that what it's all about? Lots of little decisions adding-up to big progress?

Haven't weighed myself lately but I FEEL better.

-PM

Brissy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 2, 2016
Good ones.

In the spirit of exchanging information and since I am studying Ayurveda, also
1) Excess loosing of semen is very bad for wellbeing and health- loosing Ojas
2) Watching violent TV, negative images, pumping music is bad in many levels, messes the hormonal system and causes many nervous issues
3) Mindfulness when having food, chewing well, peaceful environment(affects subtle body of food which in turn affects our subtle body) are crucial.
4) Do good Karma

The missing link in that book if if the nutrition is in the blood, why doesn't the cells absorb it?Clue cellular consciousness.

Namaste

Take it for what it's worth, but my highest recommendation for a health book is "Deep Nutrition" by Dr. Cate Shanahan. This is a deep read explaining why our ancestors were much healthier than we are now, how food is a language/set of instructions from our environment that are given to our DNA (in other words, we change our 'genetics' by how we eat) and how the rise of vegetable oils are literally killing us. It will change how you think of nutrition much like Unscripted changes how you think of, well, the Script.

Quick (unpersuasive) Summary:
Don't eat: (1) vegetable oils (canola, corn, soybean etc.) which is what's in most manufactured food/restaurants - its cheaper. (2) excess sugar

Do eat: (1)meat on the bone (2)sprouted/fermented foods (pickles, yogurt, ezekiel bread) (3) fresh food (local, pasture raised meat/milk etc.) (4)organ meat...yes liver, hearts, eyes etc. If you can't do it, eat your eggs with runny yolks - similar makeup.

Best of luck to you sir!

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
No worries, I just recirculate my ojas.
Can you clarify what you mean by 'recirculate'? Is this like autoflacio?

On second thought... nevermind. I don't want to know.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Yoda

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
710%
Nov 12, 2015
Dagobah
I have little to say here, other than carbs, over time, will kill you. Carbs (read: sugar) is directly correlated to diabetes and heart disease. Cut it out, and your body can just about fully recover in 90-180 days.

@Chitown don't let anything stop you. Your goal, your commitment, your battle... but it's also your win, if you want it.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Not a big fan of counting calories. If you do, you have to look at how many calories your body needs vs how many you eat. Much better to focus on the quality of food. It is difficult to overeat healthy stuff (nuts excluded)

Keep it up @Chitown !
I'm sorry. But I don't agree with you. Counting calories is the basis of weight loss. It's impossible to lose weight if you don't know how much you're eating. Under-eating is just as bad as eating too much. Nuts are one of the most caloric dense "snacks" available. There's more calories in a handful of cashews than there are in 21 pieces of chips. If you're going to put in the effort to lose weight, at least do it the right way. A lot of people think weight loss or fat loss is dependent on "healthy" vs "unhealthy" foods. A lot of people think eating salad instead of chips will make them lose fat. That's the furthest from the truth.

Also, if you don't know your bodies maintenance calories, how on earth are you supposed to lose weight? What you're neglecting is the basis of weight loss and the reason why so many people are overweight. It's not because they're eating McDonalds. It's because they're eating TOO MUCH McDonalds.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had a donut the other day. Don’t know why the fuss over them.

You got this @Chitown.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
How many calories are you taking in daily?
@MoneyDoc,

Between 2300-2500.

The goal is 1800-2100 calories per day, coupled with super sets when I eventually partner up with a trainer, Power yoga (Vinyasa), wind sprints at the beach and Matt Furey's Combat Conditioning exercises which are fantastic and a$$-kicking. I'm not going to rush into everything at once. Slow and steady is the objective.

As you know, the quality of what we put in our mouths is 80% of the process to achieve healthy sustainable weight loss. I had some orange juice - which I diluted with water - this morning with breakfast for the first time in weeks. I've cut sugar by at least 80%. No more brown sugar in my steel cut oats. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and apples are now my sweeteners.

I've had two beers in a month. I enjoy my red wine but have to watch the intake of my favorite vino because alcohol metabolizes into fat.

But so far, so good. I lost another pound this week. I now weigh 211.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Hey folks,

A lot of you have been kind enough to follow this thread and I really appreciate that. I'll do my best to read and respond to the posts that I haven't over the next couple of days. Thank you all for the information, insight and support.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I just hit him up via email, as I don't have his number. Will report back if I hear anything.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
A bulletproof coffee can stave off hunger for a few hours and is both Paleo and delicious when made right. Good luck on your journey. This community is awesome at encouragement and needed a$$ kicking.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Looking forward to you enjoying a healthy lifestyle now. Congratulations on taking the first steps. Keep updating mate it's great.
@Tommo,

Thank you! I was a lot leaner back in the day but fell into some bad habits and became undisciplined. In the early 2000's my blood pressure was 110/60 - doctors would joke that I had no pulse! I plan to get back to that territory.

I will definitely keep you folks updated.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
do it for a week.... you'll do it for life....
@ZCP,

Zane!

My previous trainer had me do this before training sessions. I must admit the foam roller took get used to but I grew to appreciate the way it prepped my body for a intense workout. Thanks for the recommendation.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Totally agree, along with @Gary, I was a keen trad climber and yoga helped me move through the grades. Whilst benenefical it was hard going and caused me to ache in places I didn't even know I had places ;)
@p0stscript,

Yoga will definitely find those hidden muscles and bring them to the fore.:smile2:

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
For what it's worth - Ghee (clarified butter) is damn delicious.
@JAJT,

I agree! My lady incorporates it into her cooking, as well. There is a great Indian restaurant/market a couple of blocks away that sells Ghee. We get it from them.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City
Edit also for clarity (nod to the @biophase KSB method) you want to get down 53lbs in 276 days from today. That is roughly losing 5.76lbs a month, So call it 6lbs every 31 days from today. Also seen as 1.5 lbs a week if it happened on schedule (we know weight loss happens in stages).
@LightHouse,

I will purchase a new scale tomorrow morning. I'll post that weight number when I have it.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Probably not applicable for 99% of people here on the forum but I have had issues going the other way with weight. I'm 20 years old, 6ft 4 and used to weigh only 140lbs four months ago. I was playing soccer seven times a week, not going to the gym and frankly not eating enough. I was a cardio machine.

After having a lot of business success towards the end of 2017 (Relative to where I was before) I decided I wanted to apply the same principles that were driving my business progress into my fitness regime. The principles were consistent action every single day (3-4 tasks) that had the ability to compound over long periods of time.. like for example making sure to apply to at least one new potential contract each day or calling up one existing client to see if they had any new work. Also I would do 1 daily task that had the potential to move me forward exponentially (Facebook posts, website building, brand building etc). I also had a business accountability group with a number of dudes who are all interested in helping each other move forward. I posted weekly updates of my goals and progress for 5 months straight and it transformed my life.

*** Look Up Andy Frisella - MFCEO Podcast 'Win The Day' for more info on this type of accountability ***
(I don't benefit in any way from promoting his podcast)

Going back to fitness.. I signed up for the gym about six months ago and saw no progress in the first two months due to my small frame. Four months ago I changed up my diet.. reduced my cardio from soccer to 2-3 times a week maximum and got one of the business dudes to call me a 'skinny *****' in our group almost every morning. Since then I have put on 20lbs and I have gotten noticeably bigger and stronger from consistently going to the gym and eating enough food. It's now become a way of life I don't think I could ever go back to how I was before. Mentally I feel so much sharper and I feel much more confident within my own skin.

Hope I can help another skinny dude who's out there struggling.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Feb 26, 2016
OMG that is awesome, we need an avatar change!

@Chitown

3p7C1o2.jpg

save it. add it. do it.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
It was important for me to realize that healthy choices don't need to be painful - it may just take being more deliberate about your meals.

Breakfast today is a western omelet using Egg Beaters with all the normal veggies plus turkey sausage. Went heavy on the veggies to get lots of volume without the calories. (And Cholula - love me some hot sauce)

I feel SO much better than a bacon, egg and cheese on a bagel. Just takes some time (and delayed gratification) to realize I'm full.

Keep it going @Raoul Duke and @Chitown!

ZeroTo100

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 2, 2016
New York City / New Jersey
What an awesome thread!

I just finished a big project that really crushed my health. I’m 34 and was totally focused on this reno that I lost focus on everything else. It’s true what they say about the 80/20 rule but with health it’s probably more like 90/10. I look at it as “what you put into your body, is what you get out of your body.” Eat a donut, look like a donut!

I started last week on my own little system that helps me stay on track and it’s called the F.H.B plan. Family, Health, and Business and I feel that these are the 3 most important aspects of my life that I care about and that I’m always looking to improve. It helps when I’m tempted to eat something I revert back to the FHB - it’s my own little thing. Maybe you guys can create your own thing that might help you stay on track also.

Anyway, I’m 34 and I put on about 20 pounds. My blood pressure is through the roof! We are all there and I’m sure you guys get it. This change change is tremendous and is very much needed! Next week I’m starting my first 3 day detox cleanse and I’m starting YOGA. I feel that yoga is the missing key. Forget the calories but it will improve your mental health. I also am on Peloton riding and am just about on my 10th ride. Goal is 150 rides this year which is about 3 rides a week.

Now, if I can just put down those f*ing donuts!

I’ll be following this thread...

Let’s do this.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE

LateStarter

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Jan 26, 2015
Toronto, Canada
^^^
What he said.

Plus, when you're feeling weak don't be afraid to pick up the f--ckin phone! You've got a big support system here. And we are all here to help coach you through it.

You've got this!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.