The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Progress Thread - From The Ground Up - The Phoenix Has Arisen

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Coincidentally, I was just thinking about you yesterday & wondering how things were going. Sounds like it's been a rocky year--sorry to hear that. Do what you need to to take care of yourself. The death of anyone close can help refocus us on what our priorities are. Our time is short, and while there are bills to be paid, work isn't typically the most important thing.

Appreciated my friend and thanks for the thoughts. Our time is indeed short. My priorities haven't changed, I just had to put them on ice while I tried to get a handle on things. We all go through the mill at some point in our lives, this year was my time. Hopefully it is drawing to a close now. It has been a depressive state and I know only too well that depression has all sorts of knock on effects including a serious depletion of motivation and a total lack of clarity (I've felt like I've been unable to think straight and concentrate for months now which has been very frustrating). In fact I was beginning to wonder if I would be able to think straight again. However the fog lifted a week ago so it is time to put one foot in front of the other again and follow my roadmap.

Trading is a blast! Don't you need some capital to get started with it though? I know you are living on the money you saved?

My friend is still doing well currently earning around $2000 a day after tax. I decided that it is not for me however for several reason. One; I don't have the interest in the subject matter that he does. Two; he is putting in 8 hours a day, 6 days a week and I want to build something much more passive. Three; I believe that my venture can easily scale beyond 2k per day. Four; as you say it requires a strong bank roll but there was ways around that if I chose that route. I really just want to pursue my one objective and stick with that so as not to get distracted.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AdamB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Aug 1, 2019
Scotland
It was great reading through this! Sorry to hear about the tough year you're having.

I like to look at it this way - if you can battle through the year you've had and still be motivated and driven to progress, imagine what you are capable of in normal circumstances.

That keeps me going when I'm feeling sluggish on the treadmill and I've started using it in many aspects of life.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It was great reading through this! Sorry to hear about the tough year you're having.

I like to look at it this way - if you can battle through the year you've had and still be motivated and driven to progress, imagine what you are capable of in normal circumstances.

That keeps me going when I'm feeling sluggish on the treadmill and I've started using it in many aspects of life.

Thanks Adam, its the trials and tribulations that test us. Unfortunately we all suffer at some point. I'd had a good run with few worries so I was due some form of sh*t-storm. Just getting back to feeling like a human again even though I'm moving forward at a snails pace it is still forward motion which has always been my mantra.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Just a quick update. I'm currently concentrating on my existing business working 7 days a week in order to pile some cash away so I can take some time off to knuckle down and push forward on the new business.

The issue I have is that it takes me a good couple of days to get the creative thought processes and writing flowing so I can get back into the groove. I need large blocks of time as I can't create anything of worth working a few hours in an evening or a couple of hours first thing. I don't know if anyone can relate to that.

Punishing the body at the moment with the volume and intensity of work but it's helping to build up a head of steam again after having such a dreadful year.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
Wow... What a year. I'm sorry it's been so eventful in rough ways.

I never would have even known you had so much stuff going on, given your other posts on here. Your contributions are always packed with knowledge and it's easy to tell you're one of the dudes who genuinely cares about people just getting started here.

Thanks for continuing to help all of us out, even while you were going through all this.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
405%
Apr 16, 2019
Just a quick update. I'm currently concentrating on my existing business working 7 days a week in order to pile some cash away so I can take some time off to knuckle down and push forward on the new business.

The issue I have is that it takes me a good couple of days to get the creative thought processes and writing flowing so I can get back into the groove. I need large blocks of time as I can't create anything of worth working a few hours in an evening or a couple of hours first thing. I don't know if anyone can relate to that.

Punishing the body at the moment with the volume and intensity of work but it's helping to build up a head of steam again after having such a dreadful year.

Maybe it's time for a therapeutic/spiritual journey using hallucinogens. Could provide the closure you need and kickstart the creative flow. A micro dose of psilocybin might be all you need to reframe.

Reading your story reminded me to not take things for granted, and to stay vigilant and prepared in the event that family/health take priority. Thanks for sharing and best of luck!

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Wow... What a year. I'm sorry it's been so eventful in rough ways.

I never would have even known you had so much stuff going on, given your other posts on here. Your contributions are always packed with knowledge and it's easy to tell you're one of the dudes who genuinely cares about people just getting started here.

Thanks for continuing to help all of us out, even while you were going through all this.

Thanks Bro. That means a lot. I love to see others succeeding, it's like a drug. If I can share an insight that shortens their journey, helps them find a worthy destination, or stops them making one of the many mistakes I made over they years it is very satisfying. In return I learn for you all every day I log in. We really do have a wonderful community here. Thanks again.

Maybe it's time for a therapeutic/spiritual journey using hallucinogens. Could provide the closure you need and kickstart the creative flow. A micro dose of psilocybin might be all you need to reframe.

Ha! I think any hallucinogens at the moment would raise more demons than angels but thank you for the insight. I very rarely think of the past, only the now and the future. However with this year I have spent more time thinking back than normal. And, as is our human nature, (especially while going through a depressive period) I dwell more on the regrets side of the fence.

I know it sounds daft just writing it down (as one day is very much like another, and time is very much a man made construct). However I will be happier when I can put this year behind me. Put it to rest and draw a line under it and say 'a lot of unpleasant shit happened that year but that is now firmly in the past.' Its time for new beginnings.

Yup, definitely struggling with this. But we’ll all get there. Thanks for the tag, Razorcut has helped me with some of my procrastination issues.

It's a difficult issue. For me I find it depends on the type of work and how deep it is. We can all do bits and pieces around the periphery. That is good as it still moves the needle, still keeps forward momentum, and still keeps our project in our minds eye. However it is also frustrating as the major hurdles are still there.

I need uninterrupted thinking time, followed by research followed by thinking followed by writing. I need to be able to run this process without other things getting in the way. I had some solid time after my operation but the drugs addled my brain which was very, very frustrating. It gave me a new awareness of how people with early-stage dementia must feel.

At the moment, working long hours and 6-7 days a week, all I can do is read a little, listen to podcasts and take notes when ideas occur to me (there are 425 notes currently on my iphone so I think it is high time I sat down and went through them all).

I don't have young children anymore and I am not bring them up on my own AND running a business at the same time to put food on the table and keep a roof over their heads. I don't have issues like that to overcome, and they are tough. I have great admiration and respect for anyone who can overcome those obstacles and still move the needle forward.

Right, time to pay a contractor, send out an invoice and head off to finish yet another job.

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
Much love and support from Italy my man, your posts always help me out think more clearly about my current situation and where I want to go, so the least I can do is cheering for you in your journey!

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I need large blocks of time as I can't create anything of worth working a few hours in an evening or a couple of hours first thing. I don't know if anyone can relate to that.

I can relate. Had to learn to use those few morning hours for whatever they could become when the baby came. Plus I stepped too far into the cave one too many times. Almost lost myself. Docs threw pills at the problem. I didn't take them.

After various self-tests (exercising, sunlight, healthy eating etc.) I concluded that depression is a series of states that happen on a continuum, and for myself is largely triggered by hormonal imbalance and inflammation. While I'm in the shallow end I can create profound works of art (at least I think they are profound haha). Cross the line and it's shades of grey, dark thoughts and fog.

What worked best to pull myself together may have been ice baths. I suspect inflammation is the cause of a great deal of depression, including my own experiences, and after an ice bath I could feel a difference in my body. It's somewhat subjective to describe, but the swelling of inflammation around my gut was reduced, and my mood improved rapidly.

Likewise, I've noticed that after eating foods which tend to cause inflammation I can notice a sudden shift in my state of mind. It's very sudden. My mood drops, movement slows, a strange sadness envelops my body, and my thoughts turn inward. Others notice the change. So I think about what caused the sudden shift, and if a link between inflammation and my mood might exist, then I take an ice bath or cold bath and see how I feel afterward. Additionally, I make a note of the foods I ate to track which foods might trigger inflammation or depressive experiences.

One thing that didn't work for me was float tanks. I think it's because I'm naturally internal with a lot of running thoughts. Float tanks isolate you with nothing but your thoughts rather than moving you back into the present and into the body in the way an ice bath does. So even though I like the idea of float tanks and think they're really neat, I doubt I'll use them for relaxation or clarity in the future.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
After various self-tests (exercising, sunlight, healthy eating etc.) I concluded that depression is a series of states that happen on a continuum, and for myself is largely triggered by hormonal imbalance and inflammation. While I'm in the shallow end I can create profound works of art (at least I think they are profound haha). Cross the line and it's shades of grey, dark thoughts and fog.

Sounds like wrestling your demons. I didn't know there was such a strong correlation between inflammation and depression. That is very enlightening.

Likewise, I've noticed that after eating foods which tend to cause inflammation I can notice a sudden shift in my state of mind. It's very sudden. My mood drops, movement slows, a strange sadness envelops my body, and my thoughts turn inward

Do you consume anti-inflammatory foods like Turmeric, Onions etc.? I try to eat at least one whole onion a day one way or another. Any rice dishes normally have a fair amount of turmeric in.

I can handle a cold plunge pool after a sauna but have great difficulty with cold baths/showers.

One thing that didn't work for me was float tanks.

Funny you should mention that as even though I live right out in the sticks we had a float tank business open up recently not 2 minutes drive from my house. I was considering giving it a try.

Thanks for your insights.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Do you consume anti-inflammatory foods like Turmeric, Onions etc.? I try to eat at least one whole onion a day one way or another. Any rice dishes normally have a fair amount of turmeric in.

Actually, it hadn't occurred to me to put more focus on anti-inflammatory foods. So thanks for suggesting that! Mostly my process has been one of reduction. Right now I'm testing what I call a Ketovore diet using intermittent fasting (IF) and "one meal a day" (OMAD).

With this I eat all my daily intake between 10am and 12pm and then fast for 21 - 23 hours. The foods are low carb, no sugar, and high in animal or other fats. You can pretty much sum up my diet like this:

1. Avacado smoothie with coconut cream (slightly sweetened with stevia)
2. A steak
3. Half a pound of hamburger
4. Sometimes a coconut yogurt
5. Bulletproof coffee with unsalted kerrigold and MCT oil in the morning

Replace the two meats with other beef, pork or whatever to mix things up throughout the week. I was having almond butter with my yogurt, but I noticed inflammation from that, so I cut it out.

This diet is probably a bit extreme for most people, but I like it. Low inflammation. High energy. No sugar crashes because there is no sugar and few carbs. Plus I maintain weight and feel fulfilled throughout the day without expending energy on thoughts of what I'll eat next and when that will be.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Actually, it hadn't occurred to me to put more focus on anti-inflammatory foods. So thanks for suggesting that! Mostly my process has been one of reduction. Right now I'm testing what I call a Ketovore diet using intermittent fasting (IF) and "one meal a day" (OMAD).

With this I eat all my daily intake between 10am and 12pm and then fast for 21 - 23 hours. The foods are low carb, no sugar, and high in animal or other fats.

I've just mothballed my construction business for a month (day 1 today) so I can push on with my main goal. When I'm on a physical project I find OMAD really difficult as I find I crave food during the morning so usually have something to eat for the energy boost I find it gives me.

However now that I'm back in front of a PC my OMAD habits have already kicked in, black coffee when I get up, another coffee with a little cream at midday then steamed veg and chicken around 6pm with a treat of some kind (such as a little dark chocolate). So also fasting for 21-23 hours (if you can discount the cream in the coffee).

I dabbled with Bulletproof coffee a year or so ago but didn't notice any benefits so dropped it.

Low Chi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 22, 2019
Hi RazorCut,

sorry to hear of your loss. Read your whole thread. Very interesting, very inspiring, because of the setbacks and the will of yours which seem to overcome everything.

I also read a few of your very helpful answers to other members questions. I assume that you are able to observe the thought chain at another level than others, because some of the insights aren't obtainable from books and without own progress of the control panel of the mind.

A monk told me once - even if we do our best, we have to compassion ourselves. If we tell our subc. mind, that it wasn't enough after we did our best, we don't allow our Self (not the body, not the mind, but the soul) to rest. I never thought of that before, but there have also been times in my life when laser-focus seems to exclude everything, including breaks and vacation. (incl. Pomodoro breaks - who needs Pomodoro breaks with meditation, breathing or closed eyes if I could do a 14-hour-laser-focus-timeframe-Pomodoro ? ;-) )

Maybe consider to pause to help others and help your future self first as if you would advice your current self in a private thread of the forum. (by the writing cure, the thinking on paper)

I wish you all the best to recharge your inner batteries and to regain "full contemplation power" at the level you wished to have for yourself.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Hi RazorCut,

sorry to hear of your loss. Read your whole thread. Very interesting, very inspiring, because of the setbacks and the will of yours which seem to overcome everything.

I also read a few of your very helpful answers to other members questions. I assume that you are able to observe the thought chain at another level than others, because some of the insights aren't obtainable from books and without own progress of the control panel of the mind.

A monk told me once - even if we do our best, we have to compassion ourselves. If we tell our subc. mind, that it wasn't enough after we did our best, we don't allow our Self (not the body, not the mind, but the soul) to rest. I never thought of that before, but there have also been times in my life when laser-focus seems to exclude everything, including breaks and vacation. (incl. Pomodoro breaks - who needs Pomodoro breaks with meditation, breathing or closed eyes if I could do a 14-hour-laser-focus-timeframe-Pomodoro ? ;-) )

Maybe consider to pause to help others and help your future self first as if you would advice your current self in a private thread of the forum. (by the writing cure, the thinking on paper)

I wish you all the best to recharge your inner batteries and to regain "full contemplation power" at the level you wished to have for yourself.

Thank you. I totally get what the monk meant. Thanks for sharing.

Your advice is wise and I have already taken it in, in as much as I found the cure for my lack of ability to focus. It no longer alludes me. Also, although we sometimes have to make space for ourselves alone, I find in trying to help others it becomes a two way street. Often I have a new insight when writing that I am able to utilise within my new business.

I did take my own advice and had several conversations with myself and I am well aware of the stumbling blocks I have placed before my feet. I have become a patient man, and enjoy the journey as much as reaching the destination. Going through a year of loss limited my ability to move forward, made me take stock, and it has also in some areas, caused me to continue to drag my feet as I still have two unresolved areas which have to be taken care of.

Also already having a successful business that I have struggled to give up (I had to manufacture an artificial FTE to pull away from it) has meant I am not hungry as I would be if I worked for someone else or had no business at all.

I am now in a good place though and enjoying the journey.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Much love and support from Italy my man, your posts always help me out think more clearly about my current situation and where I want to go, so the least I can do is cheering for you in your journey!

Thanks @Madame Peccato that is really appreciated, don't know how I missed your message first time around. Hope things are good with you.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Ok it's time for a quick update as many months have passed. A lot has happened in that time. It is amazing how things can change so dramatically in a relatively short space of time if you continue to put one foot in front of the other (even if you just plod on through).

Even if you can't see those changes on a day by day basis if you look back over several months it can be like night and day. And my life certainly has gone from night to day.

With all that had happened through 2019 I was desperate to put that year behind me. To forget it had ever happened. To close the book on it and move on.

But it moved on in a way I was least expecting. I have shifted focus from creating my new business to building on a new relationship with someone that came into my life (ironically through this forum). Having a successful business that I enjoy already (but is admittingly a time suck) the main area I was truly lacking in was a solid loving relationship. I hadn't really stopped to think about that until someone very special prompted that course of self discovery.

So now I have gone from a marriage break-up to finalising a divorce and finding my soulmate.

Those are BIG changes for me. That has meant that very little concrete progress has happened on the new business front. Lots of mental progress but not much in pixel or paper form. All my energies have been on the personal front with even bigger changes taking place next month (coronavirus permitting).

So I have very little to report on the entrepreneur side of things but all my friends at the Summit know I'm in a very good space happiness wise (and at the moment that is what is most important to me). I have 2 houses up for sale now. Once one of those sells I will be able to close the construction business and finally devote my time to getting the new project off the launchpad. In the meantime I will be devoting my time to building a happy new life. For isn't that what is most important for all of us? Sometimes you have to stop, linger and smell the roses.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
UPDATE -July already. This pandemic has hit hard and scuppered parts of my plan, and I currently feel in limbo as my other half is residing on one side of the Atlantic and I'm stuck on the other. Neither of us are able to travel across the pond which is very frustrating. So far it's held things up by two and a half months and still counting.

I'm finally finishing up the last of the contracts I'd agreed to undertake. I will be finished with them all by the end of this month. I've removed myself from all temptation so I don't see something interesting and decide to do 'just one more' (my problem with letting go). I've unsubscribed from all the trade feeds, and any emails pertaining to project offers now get routed straight to the trash so I never see them. I've also told all my business associates I've subcontracted to in the past that I'm closing down.

I've just sold one property (which I'm hoping will go through without too many issues). The other is taking its time. I may take it off the market with the current agents and advertise it myself. Most estate agents in the UK seem to do very little for their fee these days. They basically just list it on Right Moves and hope that will bring in enough leads to effect a sale. With Covid they won't even show a prospective purchaser round now so we have to do that ourselves.

So by the end of this month everything will be wrapped up and I will finally have the time to dedicate to finishing my project and getting it launched. Really looking forward to the marketing side of the business. I've got some ideas for creatives and sales strategies I am itching to try out.

It's been quite some time since I ran any social media campaigns though so I am going to be rustier than the hull of the Titanic. Will see how it goes.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Hi Razorcut

I have not used this lot but first heard about them a couple of years ago. I think he was an 18 year old kid who realised you just need your property on Rightmove so he registered himself as an agent and then for £99 you can register with them and they list to Rightmove.

Smart kid as this is a simple idea.

EAs as you say just wait for Rightmove to generate the calls anyway, it is the conveyancer who does the work.

Might be useful for you. :smile2:

Dan

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Thanks Dan. That was exactly what I was going to do. You expect local estate agents to have contacts and actually put some leg work into selling your property but they all just rely on listing on Right Move now and complain about the fees RM charge (conveniently forgetting they used to have to pay out thousands a week for full page spreads in the local papers).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I have a thread somewhere in the speedway forum when I was selling a rental property.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.