The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Product Roadmaps for Indie Hackers

Idea threads

sethmckilla

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 9, 2023
Maryland, US
roadmaply-concept.png

While building out my last product, I found it really frustrating to easily gather user feedback without having to add another bloated tool to my stack. My idea is to simplify this process by basically being able to turn your GitHub (GH) issues / project board into a public facing roadmap. Simply set up it up once and forget it - everything managed from GitHub, a tool you're already using. Users are then able to add new feature requests which will add an issue to your GH repo. Upvoting features will then add a priority tag to the GH issues and as you work through them, the public board will automatically update.

The target audience is either software solopreneurs or a small group of technical founders that have a profitable product bringing in at least a couple thousand dollars of MRR. I know there's some platform risk here since GitHub could essentially create this feature and render the product obsolete, although it's not a trivial feature so I'm not sure how much it's on their radar. But on the other hand, there's potential to also sell it to GitHub if it starts to gain some traction.

I'm curious about people's thoughts on this product idea and validation recommendations. I'm currently keeping a Google sheet of Twitter indie hackers who I'm DMing one by one, aiming for at least 10 messages per day until at least 100 contacted. In the sheet I'm also keeping track of the sentiment of their response and grabbing their emails for the waitlist if they're interested. I also plan to post to Reddit, Indie Hackers, and some communities on Discord that I'm a part of to gauge additional interest. Any feedback / recommendations is much appreciated!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Marco L

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Nov 6, 2017
Germany
Hm, is this really a pain that indie hackers complain about. Why can't they just tell their customers to submit issues to their GitHub project?

sethmckilla

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 9, 2023
Maryland, US
Hm, is this really a pain that indie hackers complain about. Why can't they just tell their customers to submit issues to their GitHub project?

The idea was an annoyance that I had when trying to find a quick and hands-off way to manage feature / fix requests for applications. The idea is that you can have users add issues to private repos and vote on them (something that GitHub doesn't have) to assign priority tags.

But nonetheless, after reaching out to a couple dozen indie hackers on Twitter and other platforms, I'm hearing a resounding "no, this isn't something I would use". Most seem to use Trello, ClickUp, or similar for tracking this stuff (which has public facing capabilities built in). I was on the fence about this idea so I'm glad I was able to spend very little time to get something in front of potential customers to guage their interest.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
No idea what this is for at all, but I love the little Silicon Valley reference in there hahaha

That show is seriously awesome.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.