The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

EXECUTION Process thread: Subscription website

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
6/16/2020
-Didn't have much time worked from 6AM to 10PM looked over some code.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
6/18/2020
-wrote another spider for a different website to add to my data I think I need about 4 more to have enough sources for my minimum viable product
-I realized I was approaching it wrong doing one spider at a time, now I have every spider template made so when I have a problem on one I can ask a question on a forum and while I am waiting I can just work on a different spider considerably increasing my efficiency.

Gold Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Oct 20, 2012
Good on ya.

Though it might have made more sense not to waste time programming and coding.

Just do the work manually and PROVE there's a demand for the product and service, prove people are willing to pay $50/month to get access to the scraped info.

And just scrape the info/data manually or with scrapebox and post it on your website.

Once you've proven there's a demand for it, then you could hire a programmer or do the programming yourself (If you're a coder).

Other than that, good on ya. Keep at it.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Good on ya.

Though it might have made more sense not to waste time programming and coding.

Just do the work manually and PROVE there's a demand for the product and service, prove people are willing to pay $50/month to get access to the scraped info.

And just scrape the info/data manually or with scrapebox and post it on your website.

Once you've proven there's a demand for it, then you could hire a programmer or do the programming yourself (If you're a coder).

Other than that, good on ya. Keep at it.
I am very positive people are willing to pay for it because they already do and at a rate a lot more than $50/month. Just not in my country. Up until recently, this method was not possible due to regulations in the U.S. I have a lot of people I know and acquaintances interested in the product. I don't want to give up what I am working on in online forums because I don't want to give anyone the chance to catch up.

I would be very skeptical if there was no historical data of this product but it's already been proven people are willing to pay for it. The data is very time-sensitive and therefore cannot be manually scraped and the websites the data comes from are quite complex and dynamic and I think it would be difficult to get around this without a custom-coded solution. Unfortunately, there really isn't a quick way to push the product out due to the coding involved to get to the minimum viable product. I don't have tens of thousands of dollars to hire programmers so I guess I have to do it myself but I am pretty confident it will pay off. If it doesn't my web scraping skills are improving so much and I already have other website ideas using scraped data that I know I will find success somewhere if I keep at it.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
6/20/2020 and 6/21/2020
-Added another spider to scrape a website to add data to the database.
-At this point, I have 10/16 spiders made to scrape the websites I need for my minimum viable product.

Steps once I complete writing the spiders:
1. Finish the data cleaning pipeline which shouldn't take long
2. Design front end of the website
3. Find a proxy service to implement so my spiders never get IP blocked
4. Upload spiders to scraping hub
5. A free trial run with potential customers to fix any bugs before releasing the product to the public
6. Open the website to the public and test different advertising/SEO methods
7.Collect $$$

Last edited:
OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
Unfortunately, I was working 16s for my job the last week in Minnesota. I will be back on the grindstone today!

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
6/30/2020 and 7/1/2020
-Was able to finish every other spider but one. Some of the websites share the same API making scraping super easy.
-Once I finish this last spider I am going to go through and confirm the functionality of each spider before moving on to cleaning all the data which should be pretty easy.

dario

New Contributor
Nov 14, 2012
I think I understood what's your product. Let's just say that it'll guarantee to your subscribers a small profit everyday.
Of course I'm not disclosing it to anyone to protect your business. BUT
I really would limit the number of subscribers and also raise the price.
The reason is that as soon as you add customers, the profit they get becomes smaller and smaller.
(Also you raise the risk to acquire a member who just resell the profitable data.)

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
I think I understood what's your product. Let's just say that it'll guarantee to your subscribers a small profit everyday.
Of course I'm not disclosing it to anyone to protect your business. BUT
I really would limit the number of subscribers and also raise the price.
The reason is that as soon as you add customers, the profit they get becomes smaller and smaller.
(Also you raise the risk to acquire a member who just resell the profitable data.)
Perhaps. I wouldn't say the profits get smaller with more people but it is possible somewhat. If my ultimate goal is a large sellout wouldn't the lower subscriber business model limit my ultimate goal?

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
On an unrelated note found out my company hired someone for the position I was to be promoted into in a couple of months. There is already someone in that position that is objectively completely incompetent but has a really impressive academic resume and seniority so they manage to hold on somehow, over me taking that position. I thought I was at a cool company that actually cared about my proven abilities but whatever. I am going to focus even harder on making this work. Sick of just working to make other people rich.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

dario

New Contributor
Nov 14, 2012
Perhaps. I wouldn't say the profits get smaller with more people but it is possible somewhat. If my ultimate goal is a large sellout wouldn't the lower subscriber business model limit my ultimate goal?
You can make it a long lasting business if your customers are happy
But If the members, using the info you provide, have all the same behavior they probably get banned very soon
I would round the data you provide them. Or even randomize a little for each member.
The ROI for them is slightly lower, but they aren't using all the same exact value. And don t lose their accounts.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
You can make it a long lasting business if your customers are happy
But If the members, using the info you provide, have all the same behavior they probably get banned very soon
I would round the data you provide them. Or even randomize a little for each member.
The ROI for them is slightly lower, but they aren't using all the same exact value. And don t lose their accounts.
That's actually really smart thanks for the suggestion man.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
7/3/2020 and 7/4/2020
-Technically all of my spiders work now I am just doing some TLC on anything I went skimpy on to ensure each one works the same way as the next.
-I created guidelines that I want each spider I created and future spiders to follow so each is outputting the same data in the same format
-Reorganized Asana so now I have a clear vision of tasks I need to do. If I am trying to get an answer on a forum before I can complete one task I can just go to another in the meantime so I am not wasting any time.
- I figure by the end of the week I will have all spiders in perfect shape so I can start importing them into scraping hub and find a proxy service. Once this is done the coding side is pretty much finished I just need to design the website.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
7/5/2020
-Cleaned up all spiders and made sure they all follow the standards I made. Waiting on a single StackOverflow answer to fix one thing and then all my spiders are ready to go. Which is really exciting I am finally finished with that.

OP
OP
Busch_Jager

Busch_Jager

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Jan 4, 2019
Pittsburgh, PA
7/6/2020 and 7/7/2020
-Successfully deployed spiders on scrapinghub.
-Creating another script to compare all of the items and upload them to SQL database

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox's Web Design Guide: Earn $100K this year (Yes, 2020!) and Go Fastlane
Hi guys, I repost here my old review with a small update : Feb 2020 : Hi guys, Just wanted...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Ah, I should've checked here to find out that it was free! Although, Amazon only charged $2 for...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Pick the one you need most. Some just buy them all. :D Loving your email sequence.
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Dropping a quick note in here to say... if you are on TFL, you are part of an elite group of...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
I joined @Kak's business incubator in the first week of May. During our daily chats we uncovered...

Visit A Forum Sponsor
sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected - Please Disable

Yes, ads can be annoying. But please...

...to support the Unscripted/Fastlane mission (and to respect the immense amount of time needed to manage this forum) please DISABLE your ad-block. Thank you.

I've Disabled AdBlock