The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Plant-Based Opportunities / Vegan Business Opportunities

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
If you go vegan you'll spot lots of opportunities

X 10. It's insane what opportunities I see, to the point of distraction. Even own a few domains for the ideas as I might put them up on the INSIDE as INEs as a package.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Market is crashing hard today, but meanwhile this thing is making me hate myself for screwing up the IPO date which was offered by my brokerage.

A $250,000 investment would now be worth $840,000. :bored:

upload_2019-5-7_10-57-2.png

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
Market is crashing hard today, but meanwhile this thing is making me hate myself for screwing up the IPO date which was offered by my brokerage.

A $250,000 investment would now be worth $840,000. :bored:

View attachment 24577
I'm wondering why Agora and Altucher aren't informing me of vegan investing opportunities instead of marijuana and legislation loopholes.... :(

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Some interesting developments...

Burger King to take meatless ‘Impossible Whopper’ national later this year

The Impossible Burger is pretty good, had one a month ago and I thought they slipped in the real thing...

Beyond Meat is going public: 5 things to know about the plant-based meat maker

Meatless provider going public in May. I'm on the list to acquire shares but I'm not sold on their outlook. I think Impossible is a better alternative, not to mention the supply side issues.

On the same topic, Del Taco (Ticker: TACO) goes to a plant-based option at all 500+ locations (the above mentioned Beyond) ... I will be sampling their vegan offerings today. Will report back...

Nice to get some vegan fast food options (re: junk food) finally.
Since we're now back to discussing the opportunity of the shift, I would agree that I would steer clear of a "vegan" designation. It can have some negative connotations depending on who hears it, and yes, can also inadvertently potentially pigeonhole your company.

To this day I correlate the word "vegan" with blandness and generally not very tasteful. (That's not really true anymore).

A "plant based" company is a better market position, and you still get a vegan stamp, like the NON-GMO stamp.

I think when a company labels itself as "VEGAN" you stand a chance to exclude a lot of folks, and maybe scare away those who are just looking for dairy or meat alternatives, but don't necessarily identify as vegan.

The dairy industry is already running scared because the cat is out of the bag as they push ridiculous lawsuits and ridiculous advocacy advertising (like GotMilk?).

Many folks are experimenting with health and discovering that dairy is a big culprit for their woes. As such, they switch to plant-based alternatives, like Almond, Cashew, Coconut, etc. In the last year, the "dairy free" ice cream cooler at my local store has doubled in size, and I live in a freaking retirement community. That means older people, folks who typically don't change habits very easily, are even joining the demand curve.

Is Dairy Failing? Problems with Dairy and The Dairy Industry
Dairy Industry Fighting Sales Decline with ‘Get Real’ Campaign | Care2 Causes

The fact is plant-based alternatives (and moves toward veganism) are a function of continued problems that plague the 1st world; obesity, heart disease, diabetes, climate change, animal welfare, resource depletion, etc. These problems aren't going away in the near future.
Thank you for sharing this, MJ. You inspired me to read up and watch this documentary -
View: https://youtu.be/Sl-d60l28y0

After watching it, took my first step towards becoming a vegan. My goal is to start off vegan then become plant based

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Fidelity: Do you want shares at $25?
MJ: Sure, let me get back to you on how many...

MJ forgets.

And then MJ cries.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And the knife in my back slides deeper...

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Now it's just getting ridiculous.

There should be follow-up vegan companies who will follow the going-public trend, wouldn't they?

I think Impossible is a better tasting "burger" so maybe, although they claim they aren't going public.

There's a lot of competition entering this space, so this run-up is somewhat irrational. At this level, I think a short is a better investment. Not because I don't like the product, but because there is a lot of competition in the background brewing.

However it lends credibility that the market believes the plant-based movement isn't a fad, but a shift. Because Beyond is first, it's getting an incredible amount of play. I don't expect that to last as others move into the space; Tyson, Nestle, etc. Heck, even my Safeway has an entire freezer box filled with plant-based options, many of them NOT Beyond.

Seems like the market is treating Beyond as if they've corned the market and that their product will have little competition. It simply isn't true. First mover advantage, yes, but that's about it.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
I tried the Beyond Meat "sausage" and it was flat out awful. :thumbsdown:

The barrier to entry doesn't seem to that high either. As high as their stock is flying right now? I wouldn't be surprised if it crashes just as hard down the road. You've even got regular bakeries like Greggs' in the UK making vegan products just as an example.

Lab-grown meat on the other hand "might" be a more interesting play if someone can truly pull that off. Much higher entry barrier too, where it's a technological problem, and not just getting the recipe right.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Competition #1 (IMO) Memphis Meats: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Impossible Burger is another brand. I'm sure there are others too out there doing the "real" meat thing too.

Vegan restaurants seem to be popping up in my neck of the woods. None of them seem to be selling beyond meat at the moment, aside from A&W I think.

Last edited:

William B

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Dec 29, 2018
The marketability for these products is insane. They are an incredibly passionate bunch.

... but that also means you need to pay attention to product quality. All your suppliers and manufacturers have to be cruelty-free. The only problem with marketing to vegans is that they don't care if we're product "agnostic" or not.

They want the founder to be a vegan themselves. A vegan business owner and his wife that own the largest chain of vegan restaurants in California were caught eating meat and had a pig pen. There was major uproar, people were calling them "flesh eaters" lol.

I'm not sure if this only applies for entrepreneurs in the vegan food business. I'm in a different vegan market. I'm not sure if "not being vegan" will cause problems for me down the road or not. I'm also not sure if it's ethical... but if you're providing a GREAT product, then should it matter if you're vegan? I don't think so.

This is a question I've been asking myself.
As someone who has been vegan for over 2 years, I can't agree more. Understanding how most vegans can be quite militant in their ideology, it would be viewed as inauthentic and off-putting to hear that the founder is flying jets (environmental impact), eating meat (harming animals/methane emissions), so I wouldn't recommend this unless it matches a fastlaners personal beliefs as well!!

ElenaStar

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
May 28, 2019
Kansas City
I’m exploring this market right now. There is definitely a demand for vegan products. My challenge right now is keeping the time and expense of manufacturing low enough to make it more profitable than a lifestyle business. I have two concepts that are developed and documented and I’ve sold some of each so now I’m looking for buyers that will pay more or buy more. (A few to many or many to a few). My third restaurant had a huge vegan following and after I sold it I went on an 11 day vegan cruise and learned first hand how passionate that market is! I would be interested in discussing this more with you! Thanks for sharing.

Monica Rose

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 14, 2019
Maui, Hawaii
This is very true!

Check out the "Gary" situation over vegan cheese at the link below, which happened here in the UK. They cannot keep up with the demand of this vegan cheese at the moment.

Vegans have renamed all of their cheese 'Gary'

I'm vegan and have been considering options in this market for a while, it certainly helps to be a vegan with a vegan business! You don't have to love the market to be successful (as we know), but when you are already part of the market and create a business related to veganism, it's a mighty bonus - for you and the market!

If I were vegan, I would also go crazy for anything that resembled cheese ‍♀️

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
X 10. It's insane what opportunities I see, to the point of distraction. Even own a few domains for the ideas as I might put them up on the INSIDE as INEs as a package.
I am researching opportunities in this market so please do post any of you ideas in the INE's MJ

illmasterj

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jan 19, 2016
1360m
Airline meals.

It's always confused my why they struggle to segment those meals so much.

I am yet to meet a vegetarian who needs cheese in every meal, so why have an otherwise vegan meal with cheese on top? If they replaced the cheese or omit it altogether it could tick two boxes instead of one.

Make that meal also gluten free and it ticks 3 boxes. It's probably also kosher, halal, etc.

Seems to me if someone made it easier for airlines while producing delicious food there is a lot of money to be made.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Beyond a joke

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190726-082018.jpg
    Screenshot_20190726-082018.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 39

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Beyond a joke

I suspect your hatred toward Beyond has nothing to do with the stock, but with your hatred toward the plant-based movement, to which, this thread is not about.

But yes, the stock is beyond (no pun intended) any rational explanation and the valuation is not justified, even if you believe plant-based food is here to stay. As a vegan, I think Beyond offers a great meat alternative (yes, not something you want to eat daily as much as one shouldn't eat burgers daily) but no, the company is not worth its valuation.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole... the ConAgra comparison speaks volumes.

This thread is about plant-based opportunities -- at this price, Beyond is NOT one of them. But it might speak to future money-flows in other companies, including some of the older companies with stale stock prices... such as Kelloggs.

Now the BEYOND stock is just a gigantic thorn-in my side considering I was offered it at 20 and change.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I suspect your hatred toward Beyond has nothing to do with the stock, but with your hatred toward the plant-based movement, to which, this thread is not about.

I'm curious how you got to the conclusion that he hates the plant-based movement...?

You yourself said that Beyond's products are probably not best to eat daily which agrees with tweet he posted:

not something you want to eat daily as much as one shouldn't eat burgers daily

And you also agreed that Beyond's stock is overvalued:

This thread is about plant-based opportunities -- at this price, Beyond is NOT one of them. But it might speak to future money-flows in other companies, including some of the older companies with stale stock prices... such as Kelloggs.

I think the problem with Beyond and Impossible is the same as many other products in similar spaces: they use the dietary/philosophical movement to create a product that is only superficially compliant.

If we were talking about opportunities, making a product similar to Beyond that is actually good for you would be a massive win in this market - kind of how RxBars disrupted the paleo bar space (then fell back in line with being common trash like every other "healthy" food product over time, which is an unfortunate reality of scaling any food product).

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm curious how you got to the conclusion that he hates the plant-based movement...?

Because his posts had nothing to do with "plant-based opportunities" (this thread) -- he just trashed the product and its overzealous stock valuation... to which you then offered a legit opportunistic perspective, making a product similar to Beyond that is actually good for you.

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
Because his posts had nothing to do with "plant-based opportunities" (this thread) -- he just trashed the product and its overzealous stock valuation... to which you then offered a legit opportunistic perspective, making a product similar to Beyond that is actually good for you.

I'd argue my post was entirely relevant for plant-based opportunities. Just look at how overvalued you can get your shares trading for due to the immense hype. $$$

I regularly hate on their sausage btw, think they're disgusting. But haven't had a chance to try the burger yet. Not hating on them at all, not sure why you got that conclusion. It's me being skeptical.

Here's another talking point. Plant-based eggs:

I really wish it wasn't "Tim's" being the proving ground for this product. I'm not even sure if they use real eggs as it is. How can we tell the difference? :hilarious:

Like I said above on that post though, I'll probably try it. I'll be just as skeptical of the ingredients list, and their share valuation should it sore to incredible numbers beyond any conceivable market value.

As far as Vegan food goes, I'm a big fan of Copper Branch. They're all about using healthy ingredients and not plant-based meat products though. I wouldn't call myself a food luddite either, because I'm quite interested in the cultured meat sector.

P.S. I wouldn't be surprised If you see something Vegan/Plant-based, or Cultured Meat in my signature at some point.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
@Greg R and I are starting a plant-based fermented functional beverage made from non-GMO ancient grains business.

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
@Greg R and I are starting a plant-based fermented functional beverage made from non-GMO ancient grains business.

Very interesting - I was reading about a company testing out quinoa based fermentation drinks recently and it really has a lot of upside in terms of market segmentation appeal. You have the celiac/gluten intolerance demographic, it has a strong appeal amongst Vegans due to it's high protein levels, and it's a whole carb rather than refined - which has all the makings of being the next foodie faux pas.

Very interested in seeing where you take this. Are you just conceptualizing still or have some legs begun to sprout yet?

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Very interesting - I was reading about a company testing out quinoa based fermentation drinks recently and it really has a lot of upside in terms of market segmentation appeal. You have the celiac/gluten intolerance demographic, it has a strong appeal amongst Vegans due to it's high protein levels, and it's a whole carb rather than refined - which has all the makings of being the next foodie faux pas.

Very interested in seeing where you take this. Are you just conceptualizing still or have some legs begun to sprout yet?

Sorry, I thought the sarcasm came through there..

Beer.

I just described beer.

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
The Timmies breakfast sandwiches are F*ckin bomb and every time I order them I hear like 4 other people in line order them too.

Just Egg is killing it, best egg tasting product on the market, my girlfriend and I crush them with pancakes on the regular.

Going vegan totally supercharged my life, energy and purpose wise and I wouldn't be where I am business-wise if it weren't for going completely plant-based. 7 years and thriving.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Beyond a joke

You seemed like a hater because you posted an image and wrote a 3 word post.

Calling something a joke is not exactly a descriptive position. It just sounds like a hater.

Dan_Fastlane

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 3, 2017
World Citizen
View attachment 26093

But yes, the stock is beyond (no pun intended) any rational explanation and the valuation is not justified, even if you believe plant-based food is here to stay. As a vegan, I think Beyond offers a great meat alternative (yes, not something you want to eat daily as much as one shouldn't eat burgers daily) but no, the company is not worth its valuation.

I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole... the ConAgra comparison speaks volumes.

Now the BEYOND stock is just a gigantic thorn-in my side considering I was offered it at 20 and change.

damn, even joining the party at 100usd you would have doubled your money :D

LifeTransformer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Feb 20, 2015
You seemed like a hater because you posted an image and wrote a 3 word post.

Calling something a joke is not exactly a descriptive position. It just sounds like a hater.

I thought the pun might have brought it down to a more a neutral tone, but nevermind. :smile2:

The Timmies breakfast sandwiches are F*ckin bomb and every time I order them I hear like 4 other people in line order them too.

Just Egg is killing it, best egg tasting product on the market, my girlfriend and I crush them with pancakes on the regular.

Going vegan totally supercharged my life, energy and purpose wise and I wouldn't be where I am business-wise if it weren't for going completely plant-based. 7 years and thriving.

The real sausage one? Yeah that's not too bad, although they used to taste better. :playful:
(Jokes, I'm guessing you meant the Beyond one).

Interesting about Just Egg! I'll have to give it a try for myself and see. IMO, all the ready packaged real egg products, I can't even think of any brand names... but like the premixed egg/egg whites etc you can get from the store? They're all horrible imo. So Just Egg making an egg-like plant based product that doesn't suck? Well that'd be awesome! (If the ingredients list isn't a horror show).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.