• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Paid email newsletters

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Andy Black, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
  2. Gymjunkie

Gymjunkie Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,435
    Freelance and Beyond was a good name, good idea... you just didn't write the right content for it. Looking at your archives, you were writing about starting freelance instead of sending info that helps freelancers move 'beyond'. Kinda jumbled up the content and intent...there was too much broad information.

There is a need for that newsletter tho, millions of freelancers have a career already but are looking to grow out of it, it's not just people 'aspiring' to be freelancers. In fact, Freelance and Beyond shouldn't have been for newbs at all. Seems like you were more excited to execute a newsletter and didn't do your deal customer avatar and what THEY want.

FaB could have been more for folks like me who want to move off of it and the newsletter could be great help with ideas and processes that diversify from freelance (for some it's teaching, for some it's doing digital products, for some it's affiliate stuff etc, ton of content for newsletter etc). That kind of newsletter featuring info, case studies, experiences of diversification would be quite useful. I can see myself paying monthly for that.

If you like Subscription niche tho, stick to it, good you've stumbled on it. That's also a growing market.

Paid newsletters are very intriguing! Looking forward to see how it goes further.

CreatingValue and Andy Black like this.
  3. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
    Thanks for the feedback @Gymjunkie. I'll come back and reply with thoughts soon.

I'm curious is the list of previous posts you found was on the blog at FreelanceAndBeyond or on Substack at Subscriber Growth

Below is what a paying subscriber sees in the archives on Substack. I don't think it's aimed at newbie freelancers?

[​IMG]

CreatingValue likes this.
  4. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
    I renamed my newsletter. An Australian media company subscribed to my free newsletter and I think the name “Subscriber Growth” mislead them.

I sent a personal email to him asking how he found out about the newsletter etc.

We’re 5 emails deep already, discussing paywalls, MVPs, and Substack SEO itself.

Engage people. If they’ve taken the effort to take even a small action such as signup then there’s a reason.

“Do things that don’t scale.” (Paul Graham)

I also nuked all free issues and pruned the paid ones. It’s now going to be a paid newsletter only (which was my original intention anyway).

You have to eliminate to focus.

It’s great deleting stuff. I could feel those free issues that I’d spent time on starting to weigh me down. “What do I write that’s a continuation of what I’ve already written? What would look good in my library?” Meh to that.

I went paid only and a couple of people who already know and have conversed with me have signed up.

I’m at 8 paid subscribers and $40 MRR.

Free subscribers is no longer a metric I’m interested in. MRR at this stage is also less important than engaging and helping the paid subscribers.

The-J, MTF and RoadTrip like this.
  5. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $25
    Your latest PAID newsletter was really good. The idea resonated with me. Funny thing is I've thought about just that in the last few weeks. And I even listened to a podcast with Scott Adams a few hours before receiving your email. He talked about the exact same concept described in a somewhat different fashion. Interesting how everything lines up perfectly sometimes.

Andy Black likes this.
  6. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
    Thanks for the feedback @jon.M

Did you like the specific idea I spoke about, or the idea of stacking your skills, experience, network, and resources to create your high ground?

7. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $12,771
    Hi everyone

I just released my paid newsletter last week and released the first issue!

Currently sitting at 14 subscribers (I cheated and gave the early birds a lifetime sub haha! But they keep reading + interacting with me so whatever I love it! Also @Andy Black really wanted to pay for it so I let him even though he didn't have to)

Why should you join? Because in my paid newsletters, I'm actually going to be talking about some really cool stuff that we're learning and doing that will help you guys become better at making sales (while also making damn sure not to break my NDA with the company i work with!!!)

Here's an introduction. I work for the fastest growing company in my industry. I'm the media buyer, and one of 2 forum members who work there. We're a team of just over a dozen.

Our record month was July, which is one of the slowest months in the industry. How did we succeed where others failed?

We're hitting snags on Facebook ads and we're pulling ourselves out of the muck. How can you compete when CPMs are higher than living f*ck and everything just tanked all of a sudden? All ad buyers have their 'come to Jesus' moment, and advanced ad buyers are going to like hearing how we get out.

Of course, I'm going to be sharing some content to help understand what ad buying is and how to break it down intellectually (while also giving actionable insights on what to do).

I'm not directly linking to the paid newsletter here: just the free one. When it's time to advertise the paid one for real, I'm going to pay MJ and actually do it for real.

The free one is up earlier in the post: not gonna link to it again out of respect for forum rules.

My free content is available to anyone who makes an account. If you like that, then there's more where that comes from.

Andy Black likes this.
  8. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
    Thanks @The-J

I’d love to follow a progress thread on you thinking about and then finally creating your paid email newsletter. Why you chose Substack. Why you chose to write about Facebook Ads. Why it took you so damn long. ; )

I probably should create a Marketplace ad, but I actually only want people who are following me in here to subscribe anyway.

The-J likes this.
  9. The-J

The-J Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $12,771
    1) Because you told me to

2) Because it's all I know

3) Because you weren't bullying me hard enough

RazorCut and Andy Black like this.
  10. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $25
    Just checking in to see how it's going for you. I know that you're sending new letters quite frequently. How do you like the Substack platform now? What do you, or don't you, like about it?

Andy Black likes this.
  11. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
    I actually really like he Substack platform. It’s simple to use, and it stores all the paid issues behind a paywall. I hadn’t intended creating a library that paid subscribers could access, but I like having it.

I’ve not promoted my paid email newsletter and am at 11 paid subscribers.

So far I’ve not created a paid email newsletter for Google Ads, because I don’t think I want to write about it every week.

I’m not precious about the title of mt current newsletter and may just change the name to Andy’s Paid Email Newsletter.

I love having somewhere I can post content whenever something comes to me, or as somewhere to store hinge I’ve posted elsewhere.

Overall, I’d recommend having a paid email newsletter, and using Substack.

12. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $452
    I would create a knowledge base modeled after an FAQ. There are platforms out there that can then use artificial intelligence (AI) to create a bot allowing people through natural language query (NLP) to gain the answers and insights they are looking for. A good business model would be to provide a free access and then a paywall. Through data analysis you can determine the best avenue to monetize this knowledge and up selling a cross-selling people.

Andy Black likes this.
  13. Andy Black

Rep Bank:
    $162,058
    Interesting angle. It’s the exact opposite of what I do.

I try to help people one at a time. I don’t survey groups of people or anything.

By helping people repeatedly I find out what problems are common, and what the common root causes are. I then polish and polish content until it resonates and helps people, and help by addressing the root cause and not the symptoms

Once that’s done I may well have a course that I know can help people. I may then be able to put a price on it, or “just” use it to help more folks.

No bots or AI involved, just me chatter my to folks and observing where they get stuck and where they get aha moments.

I prefer not to do formal data analysis. I find the content that helps kinda rises to the top. The market tells you what helps them if you’re listening.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t help if I approached this more formally. But I suspect it would take all the fun out of it for me and would stop it being something I do naturally every single day.

PS: I’m actually a Maths and data geek, who doesn’t want to manage by numbers because I’ve seen that go off the rails.

I just firmly subscribe to the phrase that you can’t outsource passion or insight - to a person or a machine.

PPS: I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water though. I’m going to keep re-reading what you wrote to figure out if I’m doing this in a manual way, and if I can be a bit smarter.

rogue synthetic likes this.
  14. Startup Steve

Startup Steve Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $452
    I was just providing insight into where the "knowledge management" market is going. The NLP capability today is amazing. The ability to perform sentiment analysis on who, what, where, when, how people tap, talk, and text in determining the most important why. Sorry if Minority Report becomes reality, it is my fault.

Andy Black likes this.