The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New "User Power" Metric Live (thanks ChatGPT)

How should the "HaHa" Laugh Emoji be treated?

• Increase post power (+1)

Votes: 42 63.6%
  • Keep it neutral (0)

Votes: 24 36.4%

• Total voters

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
This forum was already about "like farming” this has just made it moreso

And quite a few people got a lot of likes etc from the random thread which has virtually no business value whatsoever

Take those numbers out and see what happens
Yeah but then you would take out every post from that thread too. I think most people who post in there would end up with higher scores.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Just when we thought moderators couldn't get any more immature
Hey I like my man OMJ.

This dude is one of the real ones who goes on the little person progress threads and takes the time to lift them up.

You know, the kinds of progress threads that I linked to in the famous freelancer thread that so few of our "power users" even bothered to check out.

There is a whole ecosystem of little guys in this place. I don't think OMJ's number accurately reflect his contributions over time. He might not be starting epic, 100+ like type threads, but he does a some of the grunt work that can go unrecognized.

And he is funny, so his score got whacked in the last update.

Which is why I said the metric is good, it is an overall improvement, but it isn't perfect.

(Seriously, this dude once saw a member so despondent, he unliked the kid's posts and re-liked them all just to give the guy a little boost of encouragement. Come on. We need someone like that around here too.)

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I swear MJ has become a shitposter in less than a few hours :rofl:
Mans already using the reaction like a fellow gen-Z'er would
View attachment 47751
I'm excited for my first Ugh. I'm thinking of starting a new execution thread on the business diaster that has become Private Witt, I may see a few of those score killers.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm excited for my first Ugh. I'm thinking of starting a new execution thread on the business diaster that has become Private Witt, I may see a few of those score killers.

I'd prefer to see a post about the lessons learned from business disasters...

Followed by a RISING FROM THE ASHES type of progress thread!!

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I'd prefer to see a post about the lessons learned from business disasters...

Followed by a RISING FROM THE ASHES type of progress thread!!

Thanks for getting that first Ugh out of the way and since I launched into stores today after a long absence, maybe one thread would be a good way to go with the lessons learned and the second attempt?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Motion to ban, and publicly roast, all people that make it to 50 posts with less than 100% ratios.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
I might tweak all of this again, not sure of the software will allow for decimal points. Having a laugh might be worth 1/2.
Our prayers have been heard. :praise:

MJ can I throw on moderation any of these F*ckers that frowney face my posts?
Imagine what would happen if you pissed off a retard with too much time on their hands.

They could use a basic browser automation plugin to go through all your posts and dislike them. Or better yet: create 1 or more new forum accounts and start the plugin.

You have 5k posts? That's -5k reputation. Per account.

@MJ DeMarco It might be worth limiting who is able to use the dislike button.

I can already see the user "Money_Chaser123" having a bad time dealing with criticism of his opinions.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Our prayers have been heard. :praise:

Imagine what would happen if you pissed off a retard with too much time on their hands.

They could use a basic browser automation plugin to go through all your posts and dislike them. Or better yet: create 1 or more new forum accounts and start the plugin.

You have 5k posts? That's -5k reputation. Per account.

@MJ DeMarco It might be worth limiting who is able to use the dislike button.

I can already see the user "Money_Chaser123" having a bad time dealing with criticism of his opinions.
Since we can do .5, I think the first like on each post should be 1 point and every point after that should be .5 or something. To try to solve the problem busy dad pointed out where if you post in the unpopular threads you get less likes.

But in my opinion this is such a flawed system and will take so much work to get right, and is always going to have people optimise for the wrong thing, I think it would just be better and easier to bring back the rep banks.

I used to transfer people $100 if their post was really helpful to me. You earned $5 for every like.

This gamified the forum in the right way, you were rewarded for posting more and posting better quality. Plus it fit perfectly with the fastlane theme, we are all here to make more money and increase our bank accounts by providing value.

This system optimises for posting less, posting less funny stuff, and only posting in popular threads.

Maybe I’m just salty that my scores low.

Also I think negative scores are a bad idea. You don’t want people thinking twice before they post. It could quickly end up like reddit where people only post as if they are the reddit hive mind so they get upvotes and ensure they don’t get downvoted.

Last edited:
G

Guest-5ty5s4

Since we can do .5, I think the first like on each post should be 1 point and every point after that should be .5 or something. To try to solve the problem busy dad pointed out where if you post in the unpopular threads you get less likes.

But in my opinion this is such a flawed system and will take so much work to get right, and is always going to have people optimise for the wrong thing, I think it would just be better and easier to bring back the rep banks.

I used to transfer people $100 if their post was really helpful to me. You earned $5 for every like.

This gamified the forum in the right way, you were rewarded for posting more and posting better quality. Plus it fit perfectly with the fastlane theme, we are all here to make more money and increase our bank accounts by providing value.

This system optimises for posting less, posting less funny stuff, and only posting in popular threads.

Maybe I’m just salty that my scores low.

Also I think negative scores are a bad idea. You don’t want people thinking twice before they post. It could quickly end up like reddit where people only post as if they are the reddit hive mind so they get upvotes and ensure they don’t get downvoted.
Maybe the mods want less noise on the forum (I could see that) but I definitely see this as a deterrent to posting replies and answers to questions that will get no likes or few likes if I'm being completely honest

Some things are for the market and some things are genuine help and feedback. Not every tidbit or piece of advice is going to be popular or loved by the majority! That's ok. I know when to seek approval and when not to give a "flying you know what."

Last edited by a moderator:

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
As long as we're being completely honest...

If you don't post a comment or reply to someone because you think it won't get a bunch of likes, you're just another a pu$$y on the forum.

You can choose to:
  1. Step up your game to get more likes
  2. Keep your mouth shut because you probably shouldn't contribute, or...
  3. DGAF ABOUT LIKES!!!

Like I give a flying one

I told y'all he's a real one.

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Oct 10, 2022
@MJ DeMarco I believe that this metric and its explanation are amazing! And the reason is that it provides a good guideline of what to do and what not to do on the forum. And this comes from someone whose metric is quite low! So in the future for myself, I will focus on the quality of posts instead of quantity to provide more value to the people on the forum.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You can choose to:
  1. Step up your game to get more likes
  2. Keep your mouth shut because you probably shouldn't contribute, or...
  3. DGAF ABOUT LIKES!!!
I observe the reactions but don't chase them.

If I can give one person an aha moment then that's a good day for me

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Having some score is more fun than no score at all.

Scoring isn’t everything. It’s just a small indicator of a direction.

Don’t overthink it. But if you post something, you should hope to get some likes. Just like real life, validation or acknowledgement that what you did was somehow valuable to the reader. A reply can do the same thing.

Otherwise it’s like playing tennis with a curtain.

Does it have to be a “perfect” system? Nope. Just change it up every so often to liven up folks on the forum. Look at this thread! Blowing up.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
Motion to ban, and publicly roast, all people that make it to 50 posts with less than 100% ratios.
And this comes from someone whose metric is quite low! So in the future for myself, I will focus on the quality of posts instead of quantity to provide more value to the people on the forum.

@Kak captain, should we still roast him?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting comments on a system that closely resembles business and real life.

Business:
You introduce and sell a product in the market.
The market likes it.
The market loves it.
The market thanks you.
The market gives you feedback.
The market ignores it.
The market hates it.

Forum:
You post a new comment on the forum.
The forum likes it.
The forum loves it.
The forum thanks you.
The forum gives you feedback.
The forum ignores it.
The forum hates it.

Fact: Posting on the forum (and getting 'reactions') is a microcosm of real life as an entrepreneur.

Please don't overreact to a system that might too closely reflect the real life experience you'll face as an entrepreneur dealing with a public market. If this system bothers you, you will be bothered by the very essence of entrepreneurship.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Since we can do .5

The system doesn't allow for .5.

Also, many users use the "HaHa" reaction to disagree and laugh at posts in condescension. This has happened to me many times. So "haha" it isn't automatically a positive, it could mean, "you're take is a joke."

I think it would just be better and easier to bring back the rep banks.

I'd love to return to the the Rep Bank concept. The Rep bank was discontinued when the forum platform was upgraded because it was heavily customized, and it broke. I can look into returning it (in combination with the User Power) as several years have past since, so maybe there are newer, similar solutions. But I wouldn't count on it.

piano

Trying to find the right notes
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Sep 21, 2022
Germany
If this system bothers you, you will be bothered by the very essence of entrepreneurship.
I think what people might dislike about it is rather the fact that it can be addictive, just like entrepreneurship yada yada.

The difference is that real life/the market gives you money, this forum not. So I can see why some people would prefer to not let this forum even have the chance to distract you too much.

What do you think?

Edit: Yeah, after thinking about it, this sounds more like an excuse than a proper reason in my opinion.

Last edited:

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I think this is a great idea to limit noise on the forum. I don't post very often due to wading through large volumes of low value posts. Thank you MJ and thanks to our moderators for keeping this front and center.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The system doesn't allow for .5.

Also, many users use the "HaHa" reaction to disagree and laugh at posts in condescension. This has happened to me many times. So "haha" it isn't automatically a positive, it could mean, "you're take is a joke."

I'd love to return to the the Rep Bank concept. The Rep bank was discontinued when the forum platform was upgraded because it was heavily customized, and it broke. I can look into returning it (in combination with the User Power) as several years have past since, so maybe there are newer, similar solutions. But I wouldn't count on it.
This is simple, we can just add a condescending emotion. I submit this one as a condescending “WTF.”

6112B1B2-19AB-4925-980A-FD2F220442BA.jpeg

In all seriousness. Thank you MJ for putting in this work for us. I believe this, no matter how it shakes out, to be a great improvement to the community.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I've added a POLL if anyone wants to vote, I'm indifferent between how to treat the HAHA metric. I recognize that laughter is important as is friendly banter.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'd like to get an emoji that represents a VALUE BOMB (+2) but haven't found anything.

1679418818859.png1679418830777.png
The "mind blown" emoji doesn't look very positive. The bomb thing is hard to discern.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Two suggestions:

#1 )If a member has over 5k, 10k, 20k, 30k posts etc they should get a different multiple.

So like 5k = 1.2x normal like ratio, 10k = 1.3x and so on.

This means that you get rewarded for also being willing to make a lot of posts also.
It offsets things for guys who are willing to help on 1,000 different theads. Like @Andy Black or @MJ DeMarco

#2) If after a certain amount of posts a member still has a terrible % percentage, then their posts get a smaller font size.

They have to post like this and not get as much space lol.

Would be kinda funny - but also deserved since they are probably posting absolute nonsense.

(edit - maybe the small font thing would be annoying for others using the forum?

Maybe a time limit where they can't post as often, so they slow down and think more about their posts.
Im talking about a really bad % also, so it pretty clear they aren't adding much value.)

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Is it helpful to display how many followers people have?

I use my News Feed more than the Home Page.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
I think this is a great idea to limit noise on the forum. I don't post very often due to wading through large volumes of low value posts. Thank you MJ and thanks to our moderators for keeping this front and center.
Understood that some feel this way.

But I always assumed more activity means that the forum is more successful.

Low value post is better than having no post.

To incentivize more high quality posts, any KPI is better than having no KPI.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Maybe the stats could be as simple as:

Likes per post.
Loves per posts.
Laughs per post.
Furious per post.
Sad per post.
Etc?

That might show different profiles for different posters. We'd maybe see profiles of Jokers, Value Bombers, Trolls, etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.