The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need help on how to create my idea

Idea threads

Ola Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 30, 2017
Zambia
So I had a spark in my mind the other day of a great idea that meets all the fastlane commandments.... Its gonna be an online website but the problem is I have no idea on how to creating this type of website... I can create these wordpress blogs, but this is something thats gonna be a bit complicated (I think) to create... So I want to create a website that enables you to create another website... For example weebly.com lets you build your own site using drag and drop tools and u can even register or transfer your domain to them... I want to do that, but with a few more added features coz am doing this for a specific industry in mind so there all gonna need the same layout of website, same plugins but different designs. Basically I want a site that:

-People can use to create a website (for a specific industry)
-They can register a domain
-We will host their domain, email and website.
-Can choose template designs which they can edit (all templated designs will be for this specific industry)
-Has an inbuilt music player which they can use to sell their music (we have to create and design this player ourselves, cant use other players coz this will be our brand)

I dont know how to code, where can I go to have someone create this website? and how much can it cost.. Its basically a site like weebly.com only with a few more added features specifically for this industry...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
Wait, you want to create a website that hosts other peoples websites, but you've no idea how to do basics of website design and no clue on any of the pricing?

Goodluck.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
"Need help on how to create my idea".

Hmmm... even your title shows you're a bit tangled up.

You say you "need" something. Ask yourself if you really need it. Can you proceed without it?

You're asking for help instead of helping others. Give first maybe?

You want to create something instead of help someone.

You think it's about "ideas".

My suggestion is to read The Millionaire Fastlane , and the first few bolded links in my signature.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck!

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Godaddy does all of those things you listed, (except the music thing?). So before you start this you should look into them, since they are one of your biggest competitors.

If you can say to yourself, "I could do it better!" Then do it. If you don't think you can beat them then don't compete with them.

Also use Google for questions like, "How to code a website."

Scuur

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Jan 9, 2017
stonington
The website price you're looking at would be 100k plus easy. To register domains and having hosting servers. Would these servers be bought? Rented? etc. You would need IT Security etc admins developers etc.

Ola Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 30, 2017
Zambia
The website price you're looking at would be 100k plus easy. To register domains and having hosting servers. Would these servers be bought? Rented? etc. You would need IT Security etc admins developers etc.

Thanks! But am not trying to do what Godaddy is doing.. Am targeting only one specific industry. For example lets say the restaunrant industry. So its a website that only creates websites for restaunrants. So if you need to create a website quick for your restaurant, you come to our site, u register a domain with us, u find template designs ONLY for restaurant websites, u choose one, edit it, add your pictures and info and bum! You have a restaurant website. Thats what am trying to do, but not for the restaurant industry, just another industry that I wont mention.. So if u come to our site & u want to create a website for your law firm, you'll realize that its not the site for you and you'll go somewhere like godaddy or whatever..

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
..Am targeting only one specific industry

If you have/had the technology to service anyone, why would you limit yourself on one industry? Sure, you can market to one, but the market is ultimately going echo what it needs, and in some cases, how they're going to use you. Which brings up another question: is the market demanding what you want to provide?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Thanks! But am not trying to do what Godaddy is doing.. Am targeting only one specific industry. For example lets say the restaunrant industry. So its a website that only creates websites for restaunrants. So if you need to create a website quick for your restaurant, you come to our site, u register a domain with us, u find template designs ONLY for restaurant websites, u choose one, edit it, add your pictures and info and bum! You have a restaurant website. Thats what am trying to do, but not for the restaurant industry, just another industry that I wont mention.. So if u come to our site & u want to create a website for your law firm, you'll realize that its not the site for you and you'll go somewhere like godaddy or whatever..

You're looking to be a niched squarespace/wix.

How to Become a Registrar - ICANN $3500 app fee
Create A Network « WordPress Codex

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
Hey man, I'm a software dev, now entrepreneur. I don't mean to discourage you, but this is extremely technically involved.

The best advice I can offer you is to learn to program. You're going to be manipulating the most fundamental elements of the browser, and a lot of more other complex systems in place.

Programmers don't wanna work for business guys for the most part.

Not sure you're level of familiarity with HTML, CSS, javascript, a backend language like python or ruby, sql, deployment, APIs, etc.

But get familiar with all these. Learn to program man. It's the easiest way.

Let's say you hire someone like me. That poses a problem, because how can you judge how good that hacker is ?

How don't you know I'm full of shit? Why would I wanna follow you? Are you a sales ninja, marketing ninja?

Just learn it bro. Today. Start. Codecademy.

All you need to do is get a prototype up. Not a piece of art.

Hope this helps.

Ola Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 30, 2017
Zambia
Hey man, I'm a software dev, now entrepreneur. I don't mean to discourage you, but this is extremely technically involved.

The best advice I can offer you is to learn to program. You're going to be manipulating the most fundamental elements of the browser, and a lot of more other complex systems in place.

Programmers don't wanna work for business guys for the most part.

Not sure you're level of familiarity with HTML, CSS, javascript, a backend language like python or ruby, sql, deployment, APIs, etc.

But get familiar with all these. Learn to program man. It's the easiest way.

Let's say you hire someone like me. That poses a problem, because how can you judge how good that hacker is ?

How don't you know I'm full of shit? Why would I wanna follow you? Are you a sales ninja, marketing ninja?

Just learn it bro. Today. Start. Codecademy.

All you need to do is get a prototype up. Not a piece of art.

Hope this helps.

am trying to learn the basics of coding so that am atleast familiar with everything.. The problem is even if I learn how to code I wont be a professional coder and that can take years for me to be one, and I want this site to done with good code. So I'll obviously learn code and be familiar with it, but I'll still need to hire other programmers.

nyc217

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 7, 2017
New York, NY
am trying to learn the basics of coding so that am atleast familiar with everything.. The problem is even if I learn how to code I wont be a professional coder and that can take years for me to be one, and I want this site to done with good code. So I'll obviously learn code and be familiar with it, but I'll still need to hire other programmers.

You're right, it can take a long time to become a professional coder. It's hard as hell. But you'd be surprised how much you can get done with a prototype in 12-18 months. Remember, that's the goal here. You're not out to create the most efficient and elegant program out there. That would take so much time; which can lead to time wasted if the idea doesn't work.

My thinking is that this is a bit more advanced than a simple CRUD app. So it would be great if you knew how to program.

But if you feel that the best bet is to hire someone and if you have money, then go for it man. But remember all you need is that first beta version, a prototype.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
Not sure if these will help, but look into white-label/reseller content management systems.

You may be able to use something like this: What's the best white-label CMS software for resellers? We think you've just found it.

It may not fit all your needs but if you can test the market first before diving in and paying thousands upon thousands to get your own website developed its worth it.

Because believe me, you will make mistakes and it will be expensive. So it's better to start with something that is not perfect.

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've read your initial post and the replies after and all I can say is wow. Just wow. I'm a web developer, programmer, coder and whatever else you want to throw in that bucket and my advice to you is to first research, if you're still motivated, learn, execute, fail and repeat.

In no way am I attempting to discourage you but in all honesty, you need to follow the steps above before you attempt to jump in the pool. From what I can gather, you're going to need to research the following:
  • The WWW (World Wide Web)
  • DNS (Domain Name System)
  • What a registrar is, how to set one up
  • HTML, CSS, JS, JQuery, PHP, MySQL (Programming languages)
  • ICANN (Organisation in charge of DNS')
  • Fees and requirements before applying to become a registrar
I'd also like to say that you might want to miss out the domain name registering concept of it all. This is so that you don't have to pay a lot of bills to ICANN per annum and it'll be a lot simpler for you to bring your idea to life, but hey, that's just my advice, take it or leave it.

Good luck with it.

Ola Jay

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jul 30, 2017
Zambia
Hey,

I'd also like to say that you might want to miss out the domain name registering concept of it all. This is so that you don't have to pay a lot of bills to ICANN per annum and it'll be a lot simpler for you to bring your idea to life, but hey, that's just my advice, take it or leave it.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, am a bit familiar with HTML and CSS, I can read it well but I dont anything about other programmin languages which am plannin to learn. I did some research and am goin to drop the domain registering thing.. As a programmer, what platform/software would you recommend me to use to create this type of site?

raddevon

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Jul 20, 2017
Seattle, WA USA
I would scale back a bit and set up a multi-user WordPress install with some minor customizations for your industry. Since you already know how to set up WordPress on your own, this will probably be the quickest and cheapest path to getting something up and going. Then, if it gets traction and you get some subscribers on-board, you'll have a little money to invest in building the drag-and-drop WYSIWYG editor you want it to have (assuming that's something your customers also want). No sense in blowing $100k on a massive software project right out of the gate.

But, before even building anything, you should talk with a ton of people in your industry and make sure your idea is solving a problem they have and that it's worth paying for.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Before you invest a lot of money and time into this. Prove there is a demand.

Find musicians that want a website designed for them that can show off their music catalog.

Find out if they are willing to pay for it (and how much) - by charging them money.

Build the websites manually 1 at a time using wordpress and other people's music library player (i.e plugins).

Let say you charge $250-500 for each site. You can make $200 - $400 per site (with hosting sign up bonuses etc.).

Save up some money, then speak with your past clients and find out what they are not so happy about - and solve those problems with your new product (i.e your original idea).

Last edited:

Akeem

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Feb 4, 2016
United Kingdom
Thanks, am a bit familiar with HTML and CSS, I can read it well but I dont anything about other programmin languages which am plannin to learn. I did some research and am goin to drop the domain registering thing.. As a programmer, what platform/software would you recommend me to use to create this type of site?

Great to hear that you're dropping the domain registering concept, it'll be beneficial for you in the long run. In terms of what platform you could use to lift your idea to life, I'd suggest learning the basics of Wordpress.

It cannot be used to create a perfect hosting site but it'll definitely allow you to add features such as a member register/login and an account management system. Once the basics are in place, you can begin to work on the more advanced systems (as you learn) in order to create the remaining features that you wish for, such as the option to choose between templates for the client's website.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
There is an existing platform which does this called TemplateMonster - they create web templates for every thinkable industry; however, because something already exists, does not mean it cannot be made better.

I honestly believe you should first get your hands on MJ's books that are featured in the footer of this website.

Also, it would be best to finetune what and why you want to do what you are setting out to do - as this is going to be a journey as you progress; and please don't say you just wanna be rich, if that is your sole purpose for doing this, you'd definitely have to rethink your entrepreneurial priorities as that basic thought will possibly make your poor and miserable.

A major benefit to your targeted customers should be to see how you can create your particular platform to help them grow within their industry.

The Pursuit of Entrepreneurship is DEFINITELY a pursuit of Problem-Solving and Adding Value to the lives of those you will serve via your company.

Again, I recommend you read the books, MJ goes in FULL detail of the basics to expect and how to put your best foot forward in the pursuit of building success in entrepreneurship.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.