The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My life sucks, so I'm going to make $1,000,000 in 12 months

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
@Jakeeck
Dude I want to see you kick a$$. I've been reading some posts of yours and I realize that you don't have a job. This means you can literally probably make 10x more than you're making by FLIPPING SHIT ON Craigslist. PM me and I will send you my ebook (basically my comprehensive of doing that shit for ~3 years and making more than most people make at a 9-5).

I want to see you do this. You NEED to do this if you haven't already started. You have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain, I know it's cliche as F*ck but please for your own sake, start flipping on Craigslist.

EDIT: If your real goal is to end this year's time with 1M, you CAN do that if you RUN Craigslist. This is not a "salable business model" by any means, but you are doing yourself an injustice by freelance writing for PENNIES when you can be making hand over fist by moving people's Craigslist items.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
Things are going well. I hooked an enterprise level client who really likes my writing. They've been sending me a good amount of work, and it's super easy for me to do. Working on linking all the ideas in my head together into a more definite and clear plan.

goodnight :)
You seem to be acquiring a good writing experience. What if you set aside some time everyday to write for yourself? A blog, an ebook, some marketing effort.. doesn't have to make you a lot from the start, but if you can make up two ebooks each month i builds up to a cool catalog in a year.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
@Jakeeck great news about your enterprise level client! Good work. I know that when I landed a couple of bigger clients and had a consistent flow of work coming through that it freed up a lot of my time as I didn't need to go looking for the next client. Do you think the same might be true for you? Hopefully this will mean that you have more time to dedicate to your own projects.

I was also curious about what @mgore714 had done. Looks like he launched a company called Sales By Hand as discussed in this thread. Sounds like he must have made his million and is speaking from experience?

Thank you. Yes, it should free up some time for me :)

@Jakeeck
Dude I want to see you kick a$$. I've been reading some posts of yours and I realize that you don't have a job. This means you can literally probably make 10x more than you're making by FLIPPING SHIT ON Craigslist. PM me and I will send you my ebook (basically my comprehensive of doing that shit for ~3 years and making more than most people make at a 9-5).

I want to see you do this. You NEED to do this if you haven't already started. You have NOTHING to lose and EVERYTHING to gain, I know it's cliche as F*ck but please for your own sake, start flipping on Craigslist.

EDIT: If your real goal is to end this year's time with 1M, you CAN do that if you RUN Craigslist. This is not a "salable business model" by any means, but you are doing yourself an injustice by freelance writing for PENNIES when you can be making hand over fist by moving people's Craigslist items.

Thank you for your concern. I'm not going to flip on craigslist.

You seem to be acquiring a good writing experience. What if you set aside some time everyday to write for yourself? A blog, an ebook, some marketing effort.. doesn't have to make you a lot from the start, but if you can make up two ebooks each month i builds up to a cool catalog in a year.

That's what I'm doing man. Do people read OP's anymore? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Polarbeans

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Nov 18, 2014
Here is a pretty decent guide that might help you along the way. I found it quite comprehensive, it's written by Steve Scott (http://www.stevescottsite.com/) and I got it from one of Pat Flynn's podcast episode. You can probably find it at his site too, haven't checked it myself actually :p

Attachments

• Kindle_Checklist.pdf
    159.6 KB · Views: 24

biggeemac

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jun 25, 2011
You know, I bet no one imagined this thread would be as active as it is. I'm sure people didn't think the ice bucket challenge would go anywhere either.

I must admit that I too have my concerns, but I do hope you hit a home run.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Day 10: $21
Day 11: $68
Day 12: $44

Month 1: $794/$1,000
HQ1D53K.png

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
So with the month 2/3 of the way over whats your plan for December? I think you can really capitalize on christmas and double what your original goal was.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
So with the month 2/3 of the way over whats your plan for December? I think you can really capitalize on christmas and double what your original goal was.

I'm going to move up to the next pay level on my writing platform. I'm going to start outsourcing non-fiction books. I'm going to finish a couple of my own books. I don't have any particularly special plan for capitalizing on Christmas.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm going to move up to the next pay level on my writing platform. I'm going to start outsourcing non-fiction books. I'm going to finish a couple of my own books. I don't have any particularly special plan for capitalizing on Christmas.
Boom, that's the stepping stone I'm working on now. Took the money I made from writing a few ebooks, outsourced even more ebooks, and keep going until I hit my goal.

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Won't break it down by days, but since last week I've made $365

So on Day 19: $1,165/$1,000
EitlVf5.png

I've reached my first month's goal in less than 19 days. I've been a lot more productive, and I was talking to someone over PM about things I've done to help me stick to a routine, so here they are:

Pomodoro technique, a dream collage, and writing down everything I need to do tomorrow while I'm in the shower has really helped. I'll stay in the shower at night until I'm confident I've thought of everything that needs to get done (in the reasonable time period of a day). *I also write down 3 new things I'm grateful for* That way no creeping thoughts about forgetting something or being distracted by something else can come in. I found that to be one of my biggest problems. Thinking too much about other things I had to do. It de-rails me. All successful people write to-do lists, so it's a habit I made sure I got into. I tape a piece of paper to my shower wall in front of me and use a pencil to write things down as I think of them. It's very relaxing and makes writing to-do lists... fun? or tolerable at least. And it saves time.

For the dream collage, I really took about 5-6 hours to really think about what I wanted out of life. Stuff that when I think about it, emotions rise. Most of it actually ended up being pictures of the person I want to become, instead of stuff I wanted to own. For example, I want to be full of energy and life, very confident, motivated, inspiring to people, able to concentrate fully on one task, and I want to listen to my inner voice and instincts instead of being swayed by other people's opinions.

So most of my pictures ended up being people or figures who represent those qualities, along with picture quotes. Only 3/26 pictures were things that money can buy: a nice modern home, a nice looking bedroom with a great view, and something else that's personal and I won't say. But yeah, material things didn't strike emotion in me. I think having reasons to stick to a routine really helps, so I look at this dream collage when I wake up and before I go to bed and try to feel the emotion again when I look at each picture. I'll sometimes open it during the day too when I feel like it.

I put mine in a leather-bound journal type thing that my diploma came in, but you can really make it anywhere. Some people hang it on their walls where they can see it all day everyday, but I thought that would lessen its effects, similar to how hearing a song every day causes you to not like it so much eventually.

Hope some of that helps someone :)

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I thought you were an idiot when I first saw this thread a few weeks ago.

I think I just learned a lesson:
Make normal people think you are an idiot, because that probably means you're on the right track.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Good work @Jakeeck and thanks for sharing what has helped you keep focused. I gotta ask, doesn't your to do list get awfully wet?

mt_myke

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 25, 2014
Montana
I thought you were an idiot when I first saw this thread a few weeks ago.

I think I just learned a lesson:
Make normal people think you are an idiot, because that probably means you're on the right track.
There's also a lesson about innovation. If it was a good idea, someone would aready be doing it. Therefore when someone comes up with a truly new and innovative idea, they will be told by others it's a stupid idea, because if it were not - someone would already be doing it! In the sidewalk/slowlane world it's either dumb or other people are doing it, thus no possibility of success...better keep your heqd down and be grateful for that paycheck!

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
Good work @Jakeeck and thanks for sharing what has helped you keep focused. I gotta ask, doesn't your to do list get awfully wet?

Little bit, but I copy it down to my whiteboard when I get out :)

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
In the sidewalk/slowlane world it's either dumb or other people are doing it

veeery interesting.
I'm thinking of specific instances where I bounced ideas off of slowlaners and they shot them down (in nice ways, of course, but they offered excuses that--on the face of it--were perfectly reasonable).
Then, instances where I bounced ideas off my mentor or other people getting-on-the-onramp-to-the-fast-lane (sheesh, I don't think I'll ever get used to talking like this) and they poked holes in the ideas, but didn't shoot them down... just offered different ways to look at my problem.

G

GuestUser116

@Jakeeck I saw your eBook on Amazon, is that the only one you have out and how much are you making off it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakeeck

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jun 24, 2014
Phoenix, Arizona
@Jakeeck I saw your eBook on Amazon, is that the only one you have out and how much are you making off it?

Yes only one. Not making much. 1-3 sales per day. I still have some free days to use to bump up its rank, but I'm not expecting much of anything from that one.

Most of my money is coming from my freelance writing yet. I'm getting better jobs/better clients, and I'm still working on moving up to the next paygrade so I can start investing money in things.

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
so like 6 pages in and he hit his $1000 goal on 19 days.. so hooray rent gets paid.. but how you going to double this? it seems you're just working harder. Trading more time to hit your monthly goal.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Yes only one. Not making much. 1-3 sales per day. I still have some free days to use to bump up its rank, but I'm not expecting much of anything from that one.

Most of my money is coming from my freelance writing yet. I'm getting better jobs/better clients, and I'm still working on moving up to the next paygrade so I can start investing money in things.
Do you want to PM me your book title? I'm just curious what it is.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
so like 6 pages in and he hit his $1000 goal on 19 days.. so hooray rent gets paid.. but how you going to double this? it seems you're just working harder. Trading more time to hit your monthly goal.

True, but half of those pages were other people saying that it can't be done.

@Jakeeck has hit his goal for the first month, which is great. He has also hinted at his plan on how to step it up next month (through going up a pay grade with his freelance writing, which theoretically will mean that he can spend less time working to pay the bills and dedicate more time to writing his own books etc.)

I agree that more will need to be done if he is to double his income each month and make $1mm in a year, do you have any ideas on how he could do this?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
do you have any ideas on how he could do this?

I haven't spoken to Jake in a while but it seems he is still in idea generation phase. I hope he has his antennae up and can research some other products to improve upon..

For example this Shark Tank guy seems to not know wtf he is doing, and there is potential there for a $10M business IMHO within 3 years.

https://www.fitdeck.com/

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
I think a trap that many, myself included, fall into is that we focus too much on what we are good at. As a result, every idea ends up revolving around that 'thing' and we overlook or discard ideas that don't fit with our view of what we are good at/who we are.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.